• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Batmobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
I love the people complaining about how it controls. I very rarely lost control of it even using keyboard and mouse which are historically not great for controlling vehicles. After playing GTAV with MKB it feels like a fucking dream.

Also, who cares if its "gamey"? A combo meter is gamey. Being able to lunge a hundred feet at a time to punch dudes in the face is gamey. Hunting trophies is gamey. I can understand not liking just how much its used and how obviously shoehorned in it is for a lot of the puzzles, but "gamey" is a meaningless argument. They spent a lot of time and effort putting it into the game and getting it to control fluidly. I'll take gamey, arcadey controls over the slow, tedious, floaty bullshit you get out of other open world games any day of the week.

The goddamn Batmobile itself is gamey. They even added the meter from the Batmobile's combo system to the battle system (both in solo and cooperative [with AI] gameplay) and I think it's great in both places. I'm glad I can call the damn car and it appears out of nowhere so I can engage a chase immediately. I'm glad I can corner at fullspeed and nitro is absurdly powerful.

At some point, the only required bits for the car are challenges. Who cares?

Absolutely not. My only complaint are the stealth sections.
Otherwise, I love it. It really makes me feel like the Batman in Gotham City - his arsenal is complete.

Edit: also, the fact that it doesn't get stuck on bullshit (I.e. a traffic cone or something) like vehicles in other games is great. It just smashes right through it.

The batmobile is what's stopped me from getting the game. Looks like it's far too overused and plain annoying.
No no get it! I almost didn't get the game because of that too (I hate vehicle games) and it's one of my favorites. The complaints are way overblown.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
No no get it! I almost didn't get the game because of that too (I hate vehicle games) and it's one of my favorites. The complaints are way overblown.

Also, some of the puzzles genuinely made me feel like "aw fuck yeah I FIGURED THAT SHIT OUT" and most of them involve the Batmobile.

Rocksteady knows how to put their mechanics to interesting use. Just spend some upgrade points on the Batmobile in both defense and offense, otherwise it will be frustrating.

It's not too horrendous...it's just not batman. Shoehorning it in, especially in the first half, was pretty terrible. I don't want to solve a puzzle in order to do car-parkour just to get the car to charge a generator or something dumb

See people need to be clear with what they are referring to. The topic is the "Batmobile" not just the tank stuff. I get that people may not like the tank stuff which is a way, way much smaller portion of the game than the batmobile in all of it's different incarnations and modes.

But if someone wants to say the friggin batmobile isn't Batman then I just don't know what to say. It's been a core part of the entire Batman franchise in all of it's representations except the Arkham series for decades. They didn't exactly pull it out of thin air here.

void666

Banned
Worst mechanic? No way. It may be over used. Everything is built around the batmobile. Even "boss" battles. IMO this is the problem.

The batmobile itself is amazing. Controls are perfect.

Eh. It was a bit overused, and it could have handled better, but it's not even in contention, IMO. Much worse stuff out there, like... How about AC: Rev's tower defense crap?

Fury451

Banned
But if someone wants to say the friggin batmobile isn't Batman then I just don't know what to say. It's been a core part of the entire Batman franchise in all of it's representations except the Arkham series for decades. They didn't exactly pull it out of thin air here.

I took that statement to mean "I don't want to Be the Batmobile, I want to Be the Batman."

Of course it's key to Batman, but it shouldn't take precedent over Batman being awesome on his own.

Light spoilers:

Even when it gets destroyed, there's automatically another one like 5 minutes later.

You can't escape it because the game was forcibly designed around it, necessitating it's use.

Neiteio

Does everyone know you can change the controls so that you brake and reverse with L2 and transform with R1? You don't have to hold the transform button in this mode, either. It's so much better this way. Should've been the default.

Goose_7

Banned
I'm not finished with the game, but I don't mind it at all as a puzzle solving thing. What I don't like is how much it gets used for combat - it really didn't need to ever be used for that, I find the whole transforming battle tank to be simultaneously silly looking and un-batman like. Not that it's against his moral code, just it doesn't feel overly batmanish.

My thoughts exactly.

The Batmobile has been getting a lot of flak since the game launched last week and rightfully so, but I didn't find it as annoying or cumbersome as many have voiced across the interwebs.

Rocksteady built a pretty strong foundation in AA with the freeflow combat and predator modes that came to define the initial game. Those were THE pillars that the Arkham franchise stand on.

I commend Rocksteady for choosing to create and add a third pillar of gameplay and that was the Batmobile. Personally I found the puzzles involving the Batmobile fun, the races were ok and the required battle mode to face off against the tanks very tense and fun to play.

BUT, I do agree with many who have voiced concerns that the game contained too much Batmobile. It's certainly a divisive gameplay device.

Facing off against the tanks with the weak points could be a pain and
not being able to properly fight Deathstroke really disappointed me. Lots of people give AO a hard time, but the Deathstroke boss fight is my favorite of all the Arkham games. It really lived up to that bad ass trailer.

Using the Batmobile as often as was required did feel like "cheating" Batman as a character is so established that he should be able to take tanks out without help of his gadgets.

I can excuse the Batmobile sections when overdone because the rest of the game is nearly perfect.

ironcreed

Banned
All I know is that the more I saw of how it was forced in, the more I was baffled by most of the scores the game got. It is absolutely abhorrent.

Vyer

Nope.
+
The Batmobile looks and sounds badass, it's awesome how it's another level of traversing the city, and I love how responsive it is when it comes to your commands. Battle mode controls are solid. I like how the Batmobile is integrated in general, shit like moving from the rooftops to street level and practically diving into your waiting car is pretty great.
-
Racing/pursuit mode controls are more of a problem, and with how seamless other aspects of the car are in the context of the game it's a problem that stands out. It kind of takes away from that whole 'I'm Batman" feel that the rest of the game does so well. Forcing them into Riddler challenges sucks, most of them suck, and the racing parts are annoying more than anything.

Overall it has it's ups and downs. Ultimately I think the problem is Rocksteady tried to make it a little too critical to the game as a whole. But I know, too, that they were probably trying to avoid the 'more of the same' problem that strikes sequels so....what can you do.

Nope.
+
The Batmobile looks and sounds badass, it's awesome how it's another level of traversing the city, and I love how responsive it is when it comes to your commands. Battle mode controls are solid. I like how the Batmobile is integrated in general, shit like moving from the rooftops to street level and practically diving into your waiting car is pretty great.
-
Racing/pursuit mode controls are more of a problem, and with how seamless other aspects of the car are in the context of the game it's a problem that stands out. It kind of takes away from that whole 'I'm Batman" feel that the rest of the game does so well. Forcing them into Riddler challenges sucks, most of them suck, and the racing parts are annoying more than anything.

Overall it has it's ups and downs. Ultimately I think the problem is Rocksteady tried to make it a little too critical to the game as a whole. But I know, too, that they were probably trying to avoid the 'more of the same' problem that strikes sequels so....what can you do.

Try first person mode and you'll find Riddler racers laughably easy

I'm on team batmobile. Thing is mad fun and convenient. First batman game I haven't had to slowly glide everywhere. It was about time they brought it in to play.

It really is overused towards the end of the game. If they dialed it back just even a notch or two (namely in the boss battles) I would have more love for it.

As an open world 'steed', it's one of the best in recent memory.

Jebral

Well... As a PC user, the Batmobile is the reason I took GMG's refund offer without blinking. Even if the game worked 100% properly tomorrow, I just didn't like the Batmobile. It's awful when I try to Batman around, get close to my objective and hear Batman suddenly exclaim that he needs his car! Or when I go to beat some dudes up and lo and behold... Drones!

Bleh.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
About the only criticism I can go along with with personally is the Batmobile being used for a few too many vehicle boss battles instead of more elaborate boss sequences like Arkham City. That, I do agree with.

Otherwise, I really like it and enjoyed just about all the Batmobile stuff in the game (both car and tank modes).

I can fully understand the car causing a "broken fanbase" divide here, because a lot of people really just want on foot and in the air Batman action. It seems clear a lot of other people like the car in concept and like the way it opens up the design and refreshes the series, which by Arkham Origins even fans had to admit was getting a bit stale.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The horse in Witcher 3 had some annoying moments.

I haven't played much of Batman so I can't really comment on that.

No OP lol...

Witcher 3 is a better game overall but that horse is blind/stupid/glitched. That's only in recent history...

Worse than Roach? I don't like that horse lol.

Roach gave me Stockholm syndrome....I protect him even if i know he is holding me hostage with his stupidity.
I fall off a cliff and insult myself for not being able to control a damn horse.
He refuses to cross a bridge...its my fault.

Seriously fuck Roach.

Tagg9

It would be better without the tedious tank battles, but otherwise the Batmobile is freakin' awesome to use.

MilesTeg

Banned
The environment being destructable while in Batmobile is pretty cool. One time I just drove through everything to see what can break. Just going out there and ramming everything. Also cool how you just smash through other cars on the road.

jtar86

Have you people defending the batmobile finished the story? The whole last half of that game is one terrible tank battle after another.

No_Style

No. I'm not too far into it but it's a fine addition thus far. It's just another gadget of his. All of his gadgets had forced uses in other games too.

It's not perfect, but it's nowhere near being "awful" perhaps they're focusing a little too much play in it, but for simply conversing the city, I ALWAYS use the Grapnel Boost X5 instead and just glide around

VanWinkle

This doesn't make sense at all to me. It has to be because I didn't play the previous Arkham games, but I feel like I get PLENTY of standard Batman gameplay. Batmobile hasn't worn out its welcome at all (though, I admittedly am only ~65% into the story). I love the feel of both the racing and the tank mechanics.

viveks86

Nope. Works just fine. And I still glide around as well as stay on foot quite a bit. Loads of exaggeration in the OP (and the internet). Guess that's how people say "I didn't like it" these days

seat

I'm surprised so many people rushing to defend the Batmobile. It may not all be bad, but it does range from sort of fun to downright awful.

Case in point: Riddler's race track challenges play like a bad 3D Sonic. And that's not even hyperbole. They're utter shit.

The Batmobile may not be the worst mechanic in a recent AAA game, but it's easily the worst decision Rocksteady in regard to the Arkham series. A nasty blemish on an otherwise perfect trilogy.

komorebi

Nope, I love the Batmobile and I'm nearing the end of the game. Without it the game would feel like Arkham City 2.... no thanks.

EDIT: should also add that I love the puzzles that use it, as well as the tank battles. They can get pretty intense and dodging is like a mini-game in itself. Only thing I would criticize are the Riddler races but that's more to how unwieldy the Batmobile can be when you're frantically trying to avoid traps and make good time.

Afrodium

Banned
I think the Witcher senses in The Witcher 3 fit the bill for this thread pretty well. It would be a cool concept if used every now and then, but when every quest in a 100 hour game involves running around a yellow circle and finding all the red things it starts to get tiring.

Batmobile was forced. Hell, it is even on the cover of the game.

-tank sections
-puzzles involving the car
-"boss battles" involving the car. My god so shiT.

+ looks cool
+ driving feels right
+ does make you feel like batman

Magnus

Except the batmobile is awesome. I love it. It almost feels like a part of the whole that was missing. And from visuals to control - they absolutely nailed it.

Spinluck

It's not bad mechanically speaking, just overused and tedious.

The games pacing was an absolute mess though, and a bunch of lazily thrown in Batmobile drone segments played a part in that.

AEREC

I don't get the hate over the batmobile...it looks cool and is an alternative way to get around the city. Even if it is overused, the batmobile is a big part of Batman, it feels weird to have a Batman in the city game without the Batmobile.

Top Bottom