• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Batmobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory?

It's fun here and there but it seems to be crammed into every corner of the game. It makes sense here and there that he'd need it and use it, but they seem to turn everything into "gotta use the Batmobile too!" Some of the missions designed around the Batmobile are tedious as well
I really hated the Firefly missions I've done so far

The Batmobile is disappointing overall for me.

Roussow

I don't think it's bad outright, in fact I would argue that it's quite an accomplished achievement in isolation -- It's just misused.

Gastone

I really don't have any problems at all with the batmobile, and i quite enjoy it. Brings something new and fresh into the franchise.

I just wish it handled and stopped better. Making it a hybrid all terrain vehicle and a race car just doesn't work. I hate the way the wheels flex all over the place.

The batmobile turned me off so I sold the game

I couldn't believe that someone thought it was a good idea to include a forced sealth batmobile section.

A fucking sealth batmobile section ? really ?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's pretty terrible. I actively hate the Batmobile and how it's crammed into every facet of the game and its design. It's also eye-rolling how often Alfred or Arkham Knight chime in to remind players that while Batman is running criminals down at 200mph and using a 60mm cannon, he's like, totally not killing anybody.

If it was used as more of an aside to the game, it would be fine. But so many of the quests require it as the main focus. I hated the Firefly thing and the mine defusing got ridiculously tedious when it would be 40 tanks and 20 flying drones.

But tedium is what the entire AK experience is built around, so I don't know if that is the Batmobile's fault. Take out 15 identical towers. Take out 10 identical checkpoint. Destroy 10 identical mines. Find 234 time locked riddles. Find 20 bomb carrying criminals. Etc. All of which couldn't actually be completed when you wanted. You have to wait around for missions to open up, adding even more tedium to it all.

AK in general is just a terrible game. I'm not sure how much of it can be blamed on the Batmobile specifically, but it's certainly part of what makes it so bad.

Unison

I liked the Batmobile overall... It's not like it's one gameplay mechanic... They use it in a variety of ways.

I definitely think it's better than QTEs, overused slow motion, barely interactive tunnel level designs, or stealth sections, if we're talking about AAA gameplay mechanics.

way more

Hearing Mode in TLOU. It really detracts from an otherwise earthshattering performance that introduces searching, crafting, and creating so perfectly in a game.

TrutaS

"Worst ever" is too strong. But I do avoid it as much as possible.

But for me it's the over-abundance of stuff in the game that frustrates me, and the Batmobile contributes to this, by making the game way too big to accommodate for this new travelling method.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I like the Batmobile itself but it's overused to the point of absurdity. When they put in Stealth batmobile sections someone REALLY ought to have asked "Should we really do this?"

It's also a glorified door opener. Every mission turns into "how do I the batmobile here so I can open this door."

EGM1966

I think you're being a bit hyperbolic. Vehicle sections do feel overused I agree and the controls aren't really that great nor the sections that inventive (in fact quite the opposite).

So yes Rocksteady if agree got a bit carried away with the mechanic, but it's not as large an element of the game as you note. It's big chunk though so I'm sure it's divisive for some. I expect many will just enjoy the idea of it and simple wreaking fun but it can get a bit tedious when you want a bit more time as Batman.

But it's not more than half the game though.

It's also eye-rolling how often Alfred or Arkham Knight chime in to remind players that while Batman is running criminals down at 200mph and using a 60mm cannon, he's like, totally not killing anybody.

The main gun that only fires on drones is whatever, but the high impact "non lethal" takedowns is what does bother me. "I may have struck you at 70mph, but don't worry, I also had a thousand volts to shock you with at the same time so you'll be fine, it's just like a taser".

Max_Po

Banned
The section where you have to
Take down the tanks and then take out the Arkham Knight
is the worst. I was so frustrated.

Normal Driving is okay, you get used to it but when the camera pans way back.......

erawsd

No, its not even close. Its overused but it actually plays fine. My vote would go to:

inspect.gif

Defcon_2Fast4u

Neo Member
There is a learning curve to the batmobile, but once you switch the toggle, I got the hang of really fast, and got with it.

I do not like that it is forced on you a good amount. Takes away some of the freedom. But none the less, it is not the worst mechanic in a AAA game. It can actually be one of the best.

This brings us back to the classic problem for open-world game design: repetition is everywhere. I got some enjoyment out of the various Batmobile activities, but I got burnt out by the half-way point because of how much was thrown my way.

I don't mind driving it around and the puzzle stuff but the tank battles and fucking
stealth
tank battles can die in a fire.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Batmobile's great from what I've played, I really don't understand the hatred. Plus its implemented wonderfully. I mean we've had like 3 fuckin games without a batmobile so I'm happy they've included it in this one, it's something I always wanted them to include in a Batman game. Next time I hope we get the damn Batwing as well (unless you can control it in this game sometime later!)

The Batmobile isn't bad, it's just that the tank fighting is so repetitive. When there's hardly any challenge to fighting ten or so of them at a time, forcing the player to fight wave after wave of ten of them at a time doesn't make it more challenging, only more tedious.

Carbonox

Not even close for me. Lot of fun to play with and helps to change things up a bit. Navigation and combat are equally fun to me and the latter goes quickly once you max it out.

Pez

I just got to the blimp/airship and I'm almost over the game. Sucks. =/

I really don't like the batmobile and how it breaks up the flow of the game. Driving it around is fine, shooting everything in sight is boring.

I did not expect this game to be so focused on racing/vehicular combat, which it feels like it is 70% of the time.

The positives outweigh the negatives. It's just too awesome being able to call it on command and get around, and pursuing and taking guys down is fun. The combat is overused, but yeah, still too many positives for me to unhappy with having the cool car.

Pez

I started out thinking "this feels slippery and too fast for its own good" in Pursuit Mode, and "a bit impotent" in Battle Mode, but after an hour of play it started to click, and I thought, "Holy shit, this is amazing."

The Batmobile feels incredibly empowering, the way you chew up the scenery, demolishing everything in your path (yet harmlessly pushing aside pedestrians with your force field, and knocking them out with slam shells — how convenient!). The entire city is designed around it, destructible at every corner so as to not slow down the Batman. There's something addictive about the sense of speed and power in Pursuit Mode, and the twitch maneuverability in Battle Mode — dodging one way while shooting another, and the satisfying *POP* of enemy drones as they burst into particle effects.

I love seeing the crisscrossing lines where an enemy is about to fire, and prancing between them like a ballet dancer on the battlefield. Or shutting everyone down with an EMP blast, or turning the drones against each other. The missile lock-ons can be annoying at times, but a quick spray from the turret shuts them down. The slow-mo effect when you destroy the last drone is always nice.

There's also something to be said about the way Batman can dive into the Batmobile anytime he's near a road, whether he's mid-glide or looking down from a rooftop. The many different ways Batman can scramble into the cockpit just adds to the seamlessness of the experience. Having a mobile launching platform that can eject Batman, at speed, straight into a glide is a fun alternative to the usual grappling hook. And having a way to traverse the city at street level, other than walking or running, really allows you to appreciate the detail of Gotham City. In the other Arkham games, the fastest way around the city was grappling and gliding, which often took place high above the city. Now you can travel equally fast on the streets.

The best part about the Batmobile, however, is the "tension and release" it provides, and the way this benefits pacing. There are many sequences where you infiltrate a facility as Batman and must find a way to grant the Batmobile access. Inside the facility, Batman is outnumbered and outgunned by heavy artillery he can't defeat by himself. The sweet release when you finally get the Batmobile into the room to wreck everyone's shit is one of the best parts of this game.

Really, the Batmobile is so great that I wonder if the previous Arkham games will now feel a bit "empty" or "slow" without it. Just having the option makes the experience so much more exciting. It's a great addition, without a doubt.

Reading this is interesting and I think some of your points are valid. For me, I don't like how the batmobile is like a swiss army knife of answers in this game. I feel like it makes batman less capable if the batmobile is there to solve every problem. It's cool at times (like leaving penguin's hideout) but the riddler challenges are just ridiculous.and distracting out of place.

Hystzen

It's pretty terrible the main offender was Rocksteady deciding instead of improving boss fights they pretty much remove them or whack a villain into a tank for Batmobile boss battles.

Fucking hell they even take a villain who in previous game was praised for fun boss fight and turn it into a tank battle.

Every time I had to head to next objective I groaned out loud as I knew Alfred was about to call warning me about a heavy drone presence and will need take them out first.

The batmobile in general isn't a bad thing. What is is the chase sections, the Cobra stealth sections, and how many side missions revolve around it. It's pretty fun to drive and shoot drones with, but lock on in chase takes forever and it isn't very fun to stealth around in.

JustinBB7

The segments themselves are actually decently designed, there's just too many of them in the game and it feels like everything revolves around it.

This. I like the batmobile, a lot actually. It's really smooth and quick to get in and out off and switching between modes. Actually racing is a bit worse but that's not that much.

But in the end it's forced all over the place and gets too much.
Even "bossfights" are done car vs car and is horrible, ESPECIALLY DEATHSTROKE hot damn what a load of shit that was. Tease you with a 1 on 1 fight after you beat his car and then you just grab him and it's over.

Toki767

My main problem with the Batmobile in this game is that it just doesn't make you feel like Batman. City-wide destruction, running over people, everything that Batman would never do.

It's just more jarring when the rest of the game does a pretty great job at making you feel like Batman.

Gurish

I think I'm one of the few who likes it, without it the game would feel like a pretty predictable and somewhat by the numbers sequel, It's great and fun addition overall.

Could they manage some parts better? perhaps, but overall it added much more than hurt the game.

Podge293

my particular hate with it is that it alienates alot of people who aren't good at racing style games (like me for example)... i hate the game when i've to do the batmobile parts (those race courses for the riddler are basically a pain in my ass, i don't think i've ever completed one in the first try)

jobrro

Have only had the chance to play the main story and a few side missions, but I definitely would rather have the Batmobile than no Batmobile. As a form of transport and random battles it's very fun (once I switched control styles - default style wasn't terrible but personally just too used to R2=Accelerate, L2=Brake) and exhilarating. It was probably overly used in mandatory missions, maybe they could have moved some of the missions over to optional challenges.

I recognise that Batman would be unable to progress through the game's puzzles if the Batmobile wasn't present, but this doesn't feel any worse than the highly acclaimed The Legend of Zelda series where every dungeon heavily relies on the previously aquired item.

Even imagining the Batmobile is much worse than it is, I can think of quite a few worse AAA design choices depending on how far recent goes back with about 2 minutes of thought. Hell even in previous Arkham games the bash A or X to open a damn air duct 20 times gets really annoying.
-Mass Effect 3: A single player series full of choices forces multiplayer to get the best (still horrible) ending.
-Mass Effect 2: Probe all the planets
-Annoying minigames to unlock doors/hack systems (not all the mini games are annoying, but they can still be too plentiful)
-Forced repetitive or unrewarding side missions to unlock the next main mission
Edit:
-Not sure if they qualify as AAA but Uncharted/Assassin's Creed Vita both have this thing where you have to look at a document through light. Try playing that on a 14 hour international flight and see how many people look at you strangely while you hold the system up to the reading light trying to get it to register.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It's nice to begin with, but in the back end it becomes a huge albatross around the game's neck. Way, way too overused. I've revisited all the other Arkham games, but the thought of another playthrough of all AK's goddamn tank segments is already making me nauseous.

I feel like people praising it should probably be mentioning where they are in the game. I have a hard time believing anyone who's doing a fair amount of side missions and has pushed through the Arkham Knight reveal isn't waist-deep in Batmobile fatigue.

LOLOMGWTFBBQ

Neo Member
I'm not a fan at all. It's the only thing keeping me from continuing/finishing the game.

Could someone spoiler tag how much the batmobile will be used throughout the game?

DryvBy

No. It's a great addition to the Arkham games.

My main problem with the Batmobile in this game is that it just doesn't make you feel like Batman. City-wide destruction, running over people, everything that Batman would never do.

It's just more jarring when the rest of the game does a pretty great job at making you feel like Batman.

Well, maybe Gotham wouldn't be in this mess if he'd run over a few of these super criminals. Instead, he'd rather have them locked up in asylums/prisons that are clearly not secured and take over the city every week.

Gotta keep himself employed, I guess.

Mr Rivuz

I think the batmobile is awesome.
It's fun to use, i love how it destroys everything it touches, and brings more variety in the game adding new mechanics to the usual fight and stealth sections.
Sometimes i find myself using it even when i'd reach my objective way faster by flying.

Rosur

Fuck no, I love it.

Could they have eased up on the tank gameplay though? absolutely.

Yea me too. The only bad thing about it is it drops the frame rate too often when in it. As love the way you can just take pillars and corners of buildings.

After most reviews said the Batmobile was terrible, I expected to hate it, but when I actually played it, I found it to be fine. Driving around can be fun enough and then launching out into the sky is pretty cool.

Yeah the tank sections are a bit out of place compared to the rest of the game, but there's nothing particularly wrong with the actual controls or the game mechanic, other than a bit of repetitiveness later in the main story.

Top Bottom