• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Batmobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory?

Pizza

How recent? Because iirc brutal legend was triple Aish and that game was "wow the protagonist got wings"

Suddenly your heavy metal Zelda is a rts

Mononoke

Banned
But the Batmobile is awesome. Handles a bit like soap sometimes, but is still badass.

Tank fights still feel tedious and it has sections that feel forced.

I like the Batmobile when it makes sense. This is a pretty bad case of Devs forcing a mechanic throughout a game, to justify its existence.

vooglie

Is the bat mobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent history? I cannot think of a single AAA franchise that has introduced a gameplay mechanic that essentially becomes the entire game.

It feels as if we are playing Batmobile the video game, featuring batman. The entire game is a fetch quest in which you go to X location, grab the bat mobile to either compete a race, wench something, jump over a gap, etc. I don't think i've ever seen anything like this before in gaming, in which a mechanic is introduced and instead of becoming a part of a video game, it becomes the game itself.

And the mechanic doesn't even work well, just type in "fuck the batmobile" in twitter and you will see tons of responses about how bad it is and people wishing that it wasn't in the game.

Not to go on a rant on this, I'm sure that a good chunk of those who have purchased the game understand the frustrations that come with the batmobile, but to go talk about other franchises, has anyone seen something like this happen before? In which a mechanic is introduced that ends up taking over a franchise that has a set gameplay system? Is there any mechanic worse than the one featured in Batmobile the video game?

I've finished most of the main campaign and I don't think you're giving a fair representation of it at all.

SeanTSC

I just 100%'d the game and I absolutely fucking LOVED the Batmobile. It's like controlling a Tachikoma and that's awesome as hell. Controls for it are perfect and it's extremely easy to use in both modes. So no, it's not even remotely close to the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
So melee is just do a punch and sometimes counter? You don't use the gadgets whatsoever?

You mean the once in a blue moon prompt to press Triangle to "capture" a tank for your side?

Tank combat is no where near as complex as the actual fighting system in the game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I thought the Batmobile as a *car* was fine, but the Batmobile as a tank was absolutely god awful.

The tank battles are 95% you sitting on one small spot while hordes of enemies attack you from 360 degrees. So you just spin in circles shooting tanks over and over dodging stupid colored lines on the ground. Boring, repetitive, uninspired and about as far from feeling like Batman as something possibly could. As a mechanic it was a complete failure from any direction you look at it.

As far as the car goes, it was fun ripping around town smashing through world geometry and getting into car chases. Well except for the Riddler race tracks, fuck them, fuck them all the way.

Zukuu

Banned
It's the reason I probably won't play the game, unless I'm in a serious mood for it. AC is one of my favorite gaming experiences, so that's telling.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Once in a blue moon? Do you even understand how the secondary weapons work? If it's once in a blue moon then you are playing wrong.

It doesn't appear often for me, maybe once per tank war, depending on how many tanks the section has me face.

I'm constantly firing the secondary so I assume I'm using the vehicle correctly.

Regardless, the issue is more that there's too much of this than me not playing correctly.

It doesn't appear often for me, maybe once per tank war, depending on how many tanks the section has me face.

I'm constantly firing the secondary so I assume I'm using the vehicle correctly.

Regardless, the issue is more that there's too much of this than me not playing correctly.
And time a quarter of the green circle fills you can use a secondary weapon like the tank hacking. It doesn't sound like you're using it correctly at all.

The capture mechanic is a secondary weapon- it uses the same "ammo" as the missiles and EMP. You can trigger it with just one bar filled.

Neiteio

I started out thinking "this feels slippery and too fast for its own good" in Pursuit Mode, and "a bit impotent" in Battle Mode, but after an hour of play it started to click, and I thought, "Holy shit, this is amazing."

The Batmobile feels incredibly empowering, the way you chew up the scenery, demolishing everything in your path (yet harmlessly pushing aside pedestrians with your force field, and knocking them out with slam shells — how convenient!). The entire city is designed around it, destructible at every corner so as to not slow down the Batman. There's something addictive about the sense of speed and power in Pursuit Mode, and the twitch maneuverability in Battle Mode — dodging one way while shooting another, and the satisfying *POP* of enemy drones as they burst into particle effects.

I love seeing the crisscrossing lines where an enemy is about to fire, and prancing between them like a ballet dancer on the battlefield. Or shutting everyone down with an EMP blast, or turning the drones against each other. The missile lock-ons can be annoying at times, but a quick spray from the turret shuts them down. The slow-mo effect when you destroy the last drone is always nice.

There's also something to be said about the way Batman can dive into the Batmobile anytime he's near a road, whether he's mid-glide or looking down from a rooftop. The many different ways Batman can scramble into the cockpit just adds to the seamlessness of the experience. Having a mobile launching platform that can eject Batman, at speed, straight into a glide is a fun alternative to the usual grappling hook. And having a way to traverse the city at street level, other than walking or running, really allows you to appreciate the detail of Gotham City. In the other Arkham games, the fastest way around the city was grappling and gliding, which often took place high above the city. Now you can travel equally fast on the streets.

The best part about the Batmobile, however, is the "tension and release" it provides, and the way this benefits pacing. There are many sequences where you infiltrate a facility as Batman and must find a way to grant the Batmobile access. Inside the facility, Batman is outnumbered and outgunned by heavy artillery he can't defeat by himself. The sweet release when you finally get the Batmobile into the room to wreck everyone's shit is one of the best parts of this game.

Really, the Batmobile is so great that I wonder if the previous Arkham games will now feel a bit "empty" or "slow" without it. Just having the option makes the experience so much more exciting. It's a great addition, without a doubt.

Rlan

That Batmobile's alright, but it's pretty forced in a bunch of scenarios.

The first Riddler Race was just shit. A real poor example of how to use the Batmobile. One of the first things you do is also jump the damn car onto several rooftops to wench something - when you had the fucking Batplane RIGHT THERE that could have done the same fucking thing.

FirmBizBws

The capture mechanic is a secondary weapon- it uses the same "ammo" as the missiles and EMP. You can trigger it with just one bar filled.

Oh so there is logic behind it, I always thought it just popped up, didn't know this, thanks. Might be more beneficial to just use the missile tho if this is case. Depending on the situation.

Zeliard

I like being able to summon the Batmobile from a variety of areas, and the visual of the car blazing towards you after you call it with Batman flying into it is quite impressive even after you've seen it a few times. However, it's otherwise a pretty rote mechanic.

Given the fact that you are able to glide over such long distances, the Batmobile is largely useless for traversal, even with its launch boost. I like launching myself out of the car but it isn't exactly a critical feature, given that you can be swooping across the city in short order just using the grapnel. You may get a quicker burst with the car but it's mostly just an aesthetic thing (it looks cool, basically). Worse is that the actual gliding/grapnel mechanic is one of the best traversal systems in any open world, which makes the Batmobile feel even more like fluff as an actual car.

The tank combat is repetitive, and at least at point I'm at, rather easy. I like the way the car handles during combat mode, but the encounters leave zero room for creativity and little room for skill. In my case, they are just something to get out of the way before I can go on to something fun.

haikira

I feel like I'm losing my mind. I actually thought the batmobile works really well. Better than driving feels in most other open world games in fact, as I felt I had a lot of control over it even when going extremely fast, and had no trouble from stopping it skidding out.

I also think some of the puzzles with it are pretty inventive.

My only complaint is some of the tasks that make use of it kind of feel like busy work.

God no, smashing things is great! I like how they got the physics of the vehicle just right (after getting most of the upgrades I concede), heavy like a cannonball.

Neiteio

I like being able to summon the Batmobile from a variety of areas, and the visual of the car blazing towards you after you call it with Batman flying into it is quite impressive even after you've seen it a few times. However, it's otherwise a pretty rote mechanic.

Given the fact that you are able to glide over such long distances, the Batmobile is largely useless for traversal, even with its launch boost. I like launching myself out of the car but it isn't exactly a critical feature, given that you can be swooping across the city in short order just using the grapnel. You may get a quicker burst with the car but it's mostly just an aesthetic thing (it looks cool, basically). Worse is that the actual gliding/grapnel mechanic is one of the best traversal systems in any open world, which makes the Batmobile feel even more like fluff as an actual car.

The tank combat is repetitive, and at least at point I'm at, rather easy. I like the way the car handles during combat mode, but the encounters leave zero room for creativity and little room for skill. In my case, they are just something to get out of the way before I can go on to something fun.
You'll get your more difficult tank battles. There are even times where you have to sneak around in the tank, creeping up and down alleys and slowly strafing around corners, hunting your prey while being hunted yourself. These include a couple boss encounters and numerous encounters with tanks that are extraordinarily powerful and are only vulnerable from behind, where you must lock onto them at length before firing a missile. These encounters were divisive for some but I personally loved them. Very suspenseful.

As for general traversal, I don't see how someone could be down on the option of having another way to traverse the city, especially one that allows you to tear up the city at street level, instead of just gliding over all that detail from high above. Grappling/gliding and the Batmobile are such different experiences that I feel they both have a well-earned place in the game. I use them in equal measure and was never bored.

I love the Batmobile. It feels like a natural extension of Batman himself; and it's just so fluid to use. It's fast to get it and out, and a lot of fun to use.

So I disagree strongly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I absolutely love it. It's a blast to use and looks amazing while doing so.

Anyome want to Photoshop a new box art with " Batmobile Arkham Knight" as the title and the Batmobile in place of Batman?

thugs and pretending they are only paralyzed though.
Kind of wish there was a reveal where Batman was actually killing people and the streets of Gotham weren't really empty.

I agree it was pretty forced in quite a few segments, but I wouldn't say it's THAT bad. After getting the hang of it I didn't particularly mind, maybe even liked it a little bit. But it definitely overstayed its welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. I liked it for what it was and enjoyed it most segments. But having pretty much all the boss battles take place in the fucking Batmobile pissed me off.

HardRojo

Kind of wish there was a reveal where Batman was actually killing people and the streets of Gotham weren't really empty.
I'm about 70% into the main story but
you can tell Batman is a real asshole in this game. It's also obvious why he's like that this time around so I wouldn't be surprised if he actually killed.

No. I think it'd be better without so much tank controls. I think tank controls were thrown in so in the open world you could quickly reposition yourself and move on in a non frustrating manner. And then went...and add guns! It's the guns that is a bit much for me.

I do think they hit you on the head way too much at the start of the game with the batmobile. Like they were so happy with this new toy that it showed up everywhere. I'm half through the main story and things are starting to smooth out. I don't mind it as a change of pace, but I don't want it as a 50/50 split between it and predator/assault moments.

AbaFadi

Banned
It isn't the batmobile itself I have a problem with, but the way it was implemented. It was used way too much for my liking.

leng jai

The thing with the Batmobile is that it's actually a very well designed mechanic (once you change to toggle mode) - it's the implementation into almost every facet of the game that's the problem. Vehicular platforming puzzles have to be one of the most ridiculous gameplay additions I've ever seen to a game. The battle mode is too basic and one dimensional to warrant how many tank fights there are in the main story.

The strength of the Batmobile lies in traversal around the city and the way its remote ability is used to assist you out of otherwise impenetrable situations. I feel like it could have been amazing with a more fleshed out battle mode and more thought put into how it was actually integrated into the game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It was a fun little diversion but it was overused and could be quite frustrating at times. The absolute biggest offense is the fact that it was used as a boss fight on characters that deserved to be melee encounters.

Specifically Arkham Knight and
Deathstroke

I thought the batmobile was just ok, it was kinda fun in some parts and I did eventually enjoy the riddler racing challenges, although the last one took me like 20 tries but it felt satisfying when I got it.

I absolutely HATE the mine-defuse thing though, where you are stuck in a tiny little area and like a million enemy tanks come gunning for you. I can't see shit, can't react fast enough, and just get frustrated and quit. Its not too bad early on but at around 40% it gets completely awful.

They should have definitely not emphasized the batmobile so much, I preferred just flying around the city.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Tank fights beat melee so I'm for the Batmobile.

about 3 hrs in and I live it so far. We'll see how that shakes iut later, but I think it handles incredible well in both modes. I love the tank combat...

DocSeuss

I want to spend a lot more time just racing through impossible tracks that feel like they're from the short-lived cartoon NASCAR RACERS.

Megatron

The thing with the Batmobile is that it's actually a very well designed mechanic (once you change to toggle mode) - it's the implementation into almost every facet of the game that's the problem. Vehicular platforming puzzles have to be one of the most ridiculous gameplay additions I've ever seen to a game. The battle mode is too basic and one dimensional to warrant how many tank fights there are in the main story.

The strength of the Batmobile lies in traversal around the city and the way it's remote ability to used to assist you out of otherwise impenetrable situations. I feel like it could have been amazing with a more fleshed out battle mode and more thought put into how it was actually integrated into the game.

Yeah, I think the challenge the developers should have put to themselves is 'Can we make the game beatable without ever using the batmobile?" Maybe make those tank battles incredibly difficult playing as Batman, but technically possible. Other less obvious ways into buildings if you don't use the winch, etc. Then players would still use the batmobile, but wouldn't feel they always HAVE to use it.

NotLiquid

Worst? No.

Most disappointing? Yes.

It's somewhat functional but it's completely hamfisted into the game and takes away a lot of focus from the design of the Arkham games. It's dominant strategy incarnate. It was a concept that sounded better before it was clear how reliant the game would be on it and the flair it provides.

For as much hype as the Batmobile was getting, and it was pretty much the main draw of the game, it wasn't worth it.

Pjsprojects

Nop,it's used in the movies a lot so ties in very well with the game.
Some of the epic escapes you do in it are great for me.

Sora_N

It's pretty bad, I can't play this fucking game. I fucking hate the batmobile completely. I'm only in the second part where I have to use it too, this is really souring my experience.

Top Bottom