• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Batmobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory?

It's fine for how it's designed, traversal is fun and the tank battles, well the tank battles suck but it's fine for what it should be intended for.

However, it consumes way too much of the main campaign and the game is basically designed around the Batmobile, which is a critical flaw of the game. The game even removes boss battles from hand-to-hand combatants in favor of having a tank shootout, which is poor design from a character standpoint.

Hell, there isn't even a real boss battle in the game that isn't in a tank.

dex3108

Batmobile is good for AR challenges especially arena battle ones. But in free roam not so much. In my opinion map is too small for it especially in the beginning when other islands are locked. Controls are nice and logical but for me that is not Batman. Game is too easy with Batmobile too. When you enter in big fight and they start to kick your ass you can just call Batmobile and finish that fight easy way. In short you are not predator from the shadows.

KORNdoggy

considering i enjoy using it, not really no.

for me it had to be planet scanning or that god damn war table in dragon age. ugh.

tassletine

I think it's great once you get the hang of it. The entire control scheme is pretty convoluted if you haven't played the previous games, but works well once you get the hang of it.
Also most of the time you can fly from place to place if you want so that criticism isn't that valid.

ZanDatsu

It's the best car that's ever been in a game. The only argument against it I can even remotely empathize with is that it's used a lot, but the car itself is perfect in pretty much every way a video game car could be.

Jellzy

Neo Member
The batmobile itself is fine. Controls well (Once you manage to stop yourself pushing L2/LT to stop/reverse!!!) and is pure fun in terms of chucking it around etc. but as many have said there are far too many quests dependent on it.

A few more well designed predator style missions and even some indoor stealth sections or something would have been better.

They really went overboard with it. I even had to drag up a fucking wall.

lololololololol

*cries*

batman-forever-batmobile.jpg

If only it was actually that fucking fast..

pezley

Banned
I don't dislike the batmoTank sections but do which they weren't so frequent. I want to be the worlds greatest detective/ass kicker. I didn't buy world of tanks for a reason.

Sticking to the actual question.

The forced fist fighting bits in the witcher 3 are fucking terrible. Ok now you have to punch these guys but you cant use any of your abilities because of reasons. And its so sluggish. Its just horrible in every way.

Kas

See, once I got the hang of it, I loved it.

It handles like a brick, but thats because its a damn tank. Once you compensate for that, you're good to go.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Hell, there isn't even a real boss battle in the game that isn't in a tank.

This. This really gets to me. It's a really fucking critical flaw in your Batman game if all the big fights against opponents happen while you're both in vehicles. I can't understand it. That and the car stealth sections. The Batmobile should've been added for the open world and side missions and OCCASIONALLY in the story but it covers about half of the story missions, if not more. It really galls me because there's potential being wasted. Nothing like the awesome Bane and Deathstroke fights from Origins in this one, aside from one battle.

Slaythe

I feel like once you upgrade it, the batmobile is awesome to use.

It s great you can call it anywhere, it s great you can destroy walls and shit because it means you dont have to drive perfect.

The drifts and battle mode help controlling the thing.

BUT.....

The forced sequences were the wordt thing I ever played. I started game in hard mode as usual, for the first time I had to quit. Such shitty tank battles.

But the whole game feels like a repetitive drag. They designed one cool sequence then repeat it forever.To enjoy this you have to mix up the side quests and main story.

If you do any side quest "fully" in a row or rush main story, it s really glaring.

correojon

Back to OP´s question:

The stealth sections in Castlevania LOS 2. I haven´t tried the game, but the reviews and comments everywhere painted them so bad that it made me give up on the game. I loved LOS1, so maybe I will buy a cheap discounted copy some day and give it a try.

Assassin´s Creed counter mechanic is awful: it´s really overpowered so you don´t need to do anything else to kill everyone. As a consequence of this you stop using all your other gadgets and even stealth becomes unnecessary as you can just fight your way out. In the end it makes combat so boring that I directly parkour to escape so I don´t have to go through it. Don´t know if this has been fixed in recent entries of the franchise.

Reedirect

Definitely not, it's a solid mechanic. The only problem is how backwards it seems in comparison with previous Arkham games. Why suddenly drive a car when you already have perfect air traversal in City/Origins/Knight? The only reason it's there is because it's iconic and cool as hell, but other than that it's compareable to Sunset Overdrive 2 or the next Infamous having drivable vehicles. It just doesn't make much sense.

I'm firmly in team batmobile, love the variety it brings and how goddamn nice it is to control.

Has anyone brought up Soul Memory yet? Because thats a shitty mechanic, even if it's heart was in the right place.

dlauv

Tank gameplay isn't particularly fun, and the Batmobile felt weightless for some reason (possibly sound design in headphones setting) but is otherwise enjoyable.

Zakalwe

Banned
The Batmobile is a fantastic mechanic, perfectly integrated and well paced.

Honestly have no idea what people are complaining about. BAK is the best in the series by miles and the BM is a huge part of the reason why.

I like all the individual elements of the Batmobile - it's fun to drive, it's neat in puzzles, and the tank combat works - but it's just used too much, the tank stuff especially. I wouldn't call it the worst addition, but it does feel overused.

Yeah I like how the Batmobile is used in different ways but it just gets boring after doing it over and over again.

Bliddo

The batmobile sections are okay, it just bugs me when it's used in the Riddler's sections. Racing in the sewers... ugh

I love the Batmobile, including the tank sections. Played the game on a GAF blackout, was surprised to see everyone hating on it so much. I expect everyone to come around on it in a few years like they did with Origins.

Prototype

The question in the OP is so biased it's not even funny. Makes the whole thread feel like he just wants an echo chamber.

Anyway, I thought the batmobile is awesome. I've beaten the game and done everything, except all Ridler trophies, and I find muself plaything the tank AR challenges more than anything else. It's a great way to expand the formula of the Arkham games while introducing something super important to the character. It also controls smooth as butter.

I loved the tank fights. Once the various combatants ramped out, my palms would be sweaty constantly shifting, shooting, emp-ing. Loved it and wish there had been more.

Grady

I dont mind it as much as others. I did realize last night at 60 percent done main campaign that i haven't encountered a single boss fight. Def. Not the worst. Worst design choice ever in AAA games are the open world games that adopted the practice of using a 1000 markers for tedious chores to artificially lengthen a game.

I love it; it's kept the series feeling fresh.

I also don't understand the complaints about the Riddler races, they're all (so far) excellently designed, super fun and reasonably easy.

QaaQer

I didn't play gtav/saintsrow 3 so I don't know what you're talking about. I do know what I like and don't like. I don't like the Batmobile in this game.

And I get that. The problem comes when people conflate not liking something with that something being objectively shit and shit-talking the product. AAA gamers do not handle frustration well and they do not like to have to practice skills.

That phenomena is why the original soul's game was seen as too risky to warrant a world-wide release by Sony, it is why driving in GTA was dumbed down for V; and worst of all, it is why we have hidden dynamic difficulty in every single AAA game.

edit: and fucking tanooki suits.

Knight's Batmobile felt really good to me, the issue is that it was used way too often and this removed a lot of what made asylum and city so good, being batman on foot and exploring.

Knight (the main story at least) had lack of inside buildings adventuring and instead had tank battles up the wazoo, the two best parts of the game were stagg and harley because you were indoors doing batman stuff.

Does Roach control better with a mouse and KB or something? I had so few problems with him. I mean yeah I didn't wander cities with him because he's a damn horse...

He is ok once you get on him. When you call him and he stands off on a distant hill laughing at you is when I get pissed.

Worst AAA mechanic? The war table thing in DAI. It is one thing to fill a game with nothing but pointless crap. But to then make you wait real life time while you have nothing else to do? Is just insulting.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I also think the Batmobile is ridiculously fun. I'm only halfway through but I have been alternating between all types of side missions and I'm enjoying the variety.

The correct answer is swimming in The Witcher. It's an uncontrollable mess, WHY are there separate buttons for ascend/descend. Let me just swim in the direction the camera is facing FFS.

amg986

Neo Member
Hello Gaffers, after reading you guys for a long time I finally decide to post. First post.
Hello Everybody!

I played the Batman Arkham Knight for about 15 hours right now, the batmobile feels fresh, it makes you feel like you are a total bad ass like in Nolan's Batman movies.

It gives a great change of gameplay from previous Batman games.

stephen08

What I like about the Batmobile is that it wasn't just a token addition. The game is absolutely designed around it and that's the point, I feel like there was no missed opportunity with the Batmobile. I'd honestly go so far as to say it might be the absolute best interpretation of the iconic vehicle. It integrates perfectly with Batman. I never feel like I'm more or less capable when I'm in the vehicle or not.

There have been 3 other Arkham games where the focus was just Batman on foot with his gadgets. An innovation of this scope was a great idea for the series and was executed very well. My only complaint is that driving up the walls can be a bit dicey.

I feel bad for people who are disappointed with its implementation but I personally think Rocksteady shot for the moon here and hit it.

QaaQer

Hello Gaffers, after reading you guys for a long time I finally decide to post. First post.
Hello Everybody!

I played the Batman Arkham Knight for about 15 hours right now, the batmobile feels fresh, it makes you feel like you are a total bad ass like in Nolan's Batman movies.

It gives a great change of gameplay from previous Batman games.

welcome, hope you have fun.

on topic, I think the worst aaa mechanics are those that require the use of smartphone apps. So I'm gonna go with the original version of Unity.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I agree it was pretty forced in quite a few segments, but I wouldn't say it's THAT bad. After getting the hang of it I didn't particularly mind, maybe even liked it a little bit. But it definitely overstayed its welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty much my opinion, too much of the game revolves around it, otherwise I quite enjoyed using it at times. Unless I had to specifically use it, I would always try to fly wherever I needed to go to use it and just call it in when I got there. I think Arkham Knight in general has a lot of potential for a Batman game with this big city to use, just a lot of it is wasted, lack of boss fights, notable bad guys that only appear in tiny missions that take a minute to do and a button press to finish. It could have been so much more than it is.

I think the people who are to blame for the batmobile maybe being a bit overused in Knight are definitely the people who were complaining about Origins just being more of the same. I remember a lot of that going around. I think Rocksteady felt there were probably a lot of people who were getting tired of the combat and predator stuff.

What they should have realised is there are always idiots who complain about everything, and actually the Template they created for Batman is one of the best new gameplay templates in recent years.

oSoLucky

Nope. The worst AAA mechanic is having to blow into the GamePad in SM3DW to activate things in game. It wasn't super prevalent, but easily the most pointless mechanic that I can remember.

Top Bottom