• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Wii phenomenon over?

MYE

TekkenMaster said:
I hope Skyward Sword is delayed to be a Wii 2 launch title. Keep it off Wii entirely and rebuild the entire game (character models, engine, graphic effects, etc) for the Wii's successor.

NO

Log4Girlz

Amir0x said:
I think Wii should drop to $150 and refocus on 'nostalgia' offerings instead of specifically hardcore offerings. Think they should do a classic old-school Zelda style game and call it NEW! ZELDA: THE ADVENTURES OF LINK, for example.

Shut your dirty whore mouth! Nintendo will hear you and do just that. I love the wii but dammit I'm itching for a successor lol.

Wallach

$150 this holiday season would be sweet. Guess it's not in the cards with the 25th anniversary console bundle but I think it would give them better legs against the big Kinect push coming in the media.

GCX said:
Pikmin 3 has never been officially announced. Miyamoto just says "well yeah it's not in active development but we'll get it done! For Wii! I swear!" at every E3.

And there's not really much room for unannounced Wii 1st party games because there's so many 3DS games (and probably Wii2 games) in development.

A new Pikmin game was eventually confirmed at E3 2008 during Nintendo's developer roundtable, in which Miyamoto stated that his team were working on a new entry in the series.[6][7] However, details concerning gameplay and development were left unmentioned.[8] In an interview with Nintendo's Official Latin American Magazine, Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that Pikmin 3 is going to be on the Wii. He also stated that the Wii's controls were "working well" with the game.[9]

O ya?

A Link to the Snitch said:

The quote from the Latin American magazine is new to me, and even if it's accurate (anyone got an extract?) it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo have changed their minds on a title mid-development.

More interesting - and possibly more telling - was Miyamoto's mention of Pikmin as a title that would benefit from HD in an investor meeting when asked about HD development. He's right, of course - I've said it before, but natural history programs benefitted hugely from HD, and Pikmin's gorgeous natural environments and fauna would be a perfect showcase for an HD home console from Nintendo...

OMG Aero

TekkenMaster said:
I hope Skyward Sword is delayed to be a Wii 2 launch title. Keep it off Wii entirely and rebuild the entire game (character models, engine, graphic effects, etc) for the Wii's successor.

I don't want another situation where a mainline Zelda is released and looks outdated the day it comes out.
So you want another Twilight Princess situation? That sounds like a great idea.

I would rather have a new game that's visually dated on day one, than another game thats not making the most of the hardware its on. It will only be visually dated compared to games on more powerful consoles.

OMG Aero said:
So you want another Twilight Princess situation? That sounds like a great idea.

I want the OPPOSITE of a Twilight Princess situation.

Scrap the Wii release and spend the next year or so building higher quality graphical assets and an improved engine for a Wii 2 release.

I love Zelda more than any other franchise and hate to see all the new mainline Zeldas come out at the end of the console's lifecycle where they look generally crappy compared to whatever we'll see on Wii 2 probably less than a year after SS's release *and compared to 4th or 5th gen 360/PS3 games).

Zelda games used to be some of the best looking games across all consoles. I want a return to that.

radioheadrule83 said:
I would rather have a new game that's visually dated on day one, than another game thats not making the most of the hardware its on. It will only be visually dated compared to games on more powerful consoles.

But Mario 64, Kimeo, Gears 1, Metroid Prime, and others looked spectacular and exponentially beyond previous console titles even though they came out within the first year of the console's release.

I'd rather have a fuckawesome looking Zelda that would be equal or better looking than any competition for 2 or 3 years than a Zelda that only compares to visuals on its own system.

Amir0x

Banned
sfried said:
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or serious.

I was being serious. Thinking on the strengths of Wii

1. People who buy Wii don't care about graphics, or at least, it's not a priority
2. Some people who buy Wii seem to like having their nostalgia bone itch
3. People who buy Wii seem to enjoy fresh and new concepts, or at least concepts which feel new.

Let me elaborate. Even though, for example, New! Super Mario Bros. Wii wasn't actually a fresh concept, it felt fresh to a lot of people because home consoles almost never get 2D side-scrolling Mario games anymore. In my opinion, one of the reasons Metroid didn't do well is it rejected so much of the old school philosophy, thus it did a relatively poor job of scratching that nostalgia itch.

They should tighten up the brand. Market these old school nostalgia offerings in the "NEW!" category, and focus on intelligently paying homage to what came before while giving old audiences the tightness of gameplay so that they come along as well.

ON TOP OF THIS, of course, they need to keep making their properties for the softcore (softcore... I like this better than casual. I think I will start using it!), and I'm not sure "Wii Relax" will do it. But I'm sure Nintendo has plenty of ideas somewhere.

But yeah, with a $150 price cut as well, I think it'd do well.

Ashes

Banned
Amir0x said:

1. People who buy Wii don't care about graphics, or at least, it's not a priority
3. People who buy Wii seem to enjoy fresh and new concepts, or at least concepts which feel new.

Let me elaborate. Even though, for example, New! Super Mario Bros. Wii wasn't actually a fresh concept, it felt fresh to a lot of people because home consoles almost never get 2D side-scrolling Mario games anymore. In my opinion, one of the reasons Metroid didn't do well is it rejected so much of the old school philosophy, thus it did a relatively poor job of scratching that nostalgia itch.

They should tighten up the brand. Market these old school nostalgia offerings in the "NEW!" category, and focus on intelligently paying homage to what came before while giving old audiences the tightness of gameplay so that they come along as well.

ON TOP OF THIS, of course, they need to keep making their properties for the softcore (softcore... I like this better than casual. I think I will start using it!), and I'm not sure "Wii Relax" will do it. But I'm sure Nintendo has plenty of ideas somewhere.

So basically carry on doing what they've been doing?
+ a price cut. ( They had a price cut recently right?)

rezuth

Amir0x said:

See I bought a Wii near launch and I have to say that at the time it was not an issue. The games that were released if not was a graphical showpiece like Mario Galaxy often had superior art to make up for their shortcomings in graphics. However as time went on more and more game developers just didn't seem to care about either. This left us with 50 awful looking games for 1 good looking game. This kinda turned me off the console, not the fact that it was underpowered in the hood but that no one seemed to give a shit. It's going to be nice to dust it off finally to play Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

I believe Metroid didn't do well because people simply had no idea what it was.

Amir0x said:

Lots of very good points there.

Just trying to think of games that could slide into the "New" brand, and you could probably go for:
  • Donkey Kong (DKCR should really have been called "New Donkey Kong Country" to tie in with NSMB)
  • New Legend of Zelda - introduce this as a top-down series based on the LttP template, allowing a split-off for the OoT styleand scratching the itch of two different audiences
  • New Kirby's Adventure - again, hive off titles like Canvas Curse and Epic Yarn as experimental games using a popular character, but keep NKA as an entry-level trad 2D platformer
Other games, like Punch-Out!!, should have come under the same banner (New Punch-Out!!) and you could also try a range of budget retail (or downloadable) games riffing off NES classics:
  • New Duck Hunt
  • New Excitebike
  • New Ice Climber
etc. etc.

Chinner

Banned
i actually find it depressing how some really good wii games sell like shit or at least not proportional to the sales i think they do deserve.

aeolist said:
I think it's funny that Microsoft was able to distort the market enough by entering it with no concern about profitability that they were able to convince Sony to tag along and then have everyone blame Nintendo for not subsidizing an unsustainable business model so that third parties would put out sub-par ports for their system.

Wait did I say funny? I mean horrible.

Only part of it really.

You have to blame Nintendo for the lack of third party support, they did not make the Wii attractive enough early on.

On paper the Microsoft 360 was the most desirable platform to work for, and on paper the Wii was the worst. Nintendo needed to "sell" the Wii early on, as in pre-launch of the 360, to get companies on board and they obviously didn't do a good job.

When I first saw the Wii I thought World-wide hit and I'm sure Nintendo thought the same, but I don't have to risk billions of dollars investing in making computer games so it doesn't matter what I think.

Now, we can all sit around scratching our heads wondering why no developer wants to make high-profile games for the Wii but that's because we now see it as a success. Go back to a time before its release, Nintendo walks into the head of <big games producer>, "we have a new console, it's nothing like the others so you would have to make games exclusively, the games would have to be based around our new controller because we haven't invested in the newest graphics card, and we've projected it will sell faster then the PS2, and will have ~70 million within 4 years, you're on board yes?"

<big games producer> "can I call you, yeah? I'm a bit busy."

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Chinner said:
i actually find it depressing how some really good wii games sell like shit or at least not proportional to the sales i think they do deserve.
Welcome to the gaming industry. This kind of thing happens constantly. This is what sunk Bizarre Creations, in fact. They've made quite a few fantastic games over the past few years and all of them have bombed. Nobody can truly say why, but the fact is, their failure has sunk the company. Simply releasing a great game does not guarantee you good sales.

It was over for me about two months after I bought it.

It's become my Monster Hunter Tri machine (which I love), but the multiplayer infrastructure is so fucking limited (not sure if Capcom or the Wii is to blame) even a game I love isn't enough to make me want to play it all that often.

I won't be buying the next Nintendo console until it's WELL into it's next gen cycle.

Alcibiades

Freezie KO said:
I think the system would sell well at $50 also.
:lol

Although a lot of the Wii audience may not make graphics a priority, enough still care, otherwise Nintendo wouldn't put in the effort they do to making great looking games.

Do they need to be technical marvels? No. But if a game looks great, it may factor into whether someone purchases the title.

travisbickle said:
Only part of it really.

You have to blame Nintendo for the lack of third party support, they did not make the Wii attractive enough early on.

On paper the Microsoft 360 was the most desirable platform to work for, and on paper the Wii was the worst. Nintendo needed to "sell" the Wii early on, as in pre-launch of the 360, to get companies on board and they obviously didn't do a good job.

When I first saw the Wii I thought World-wide hit and I'm sure Nintendo thought the same, but I don't have to risk billions of dollars investing in making computer games so it doesn't matter what I think.

Now, we can all sit around scratching our heads wondering why no developer wants to make high-profile games for the Wii but that's because we now see it as a success. Go back to a time before its release, Nintendo walks into the head of <big games producer>, "we have a new console, it's nothing like the others so you would have to make games exclusively, the games would have to be based around our new controller because we haven't invested in the newest graphics card, and we've projected it will sell faster then the PS2, and will have ~70 million within 4 years, you're on board yes?"

<big games producer> "can I call you, yeah? I'm a bit busy."

Nah, that's bullshit.
Nintendo probably had done the most to make it attractive for third parties to develop for. They changed their media from a proprietary optical disc with limited capacity (like the Cube's discs) to regular DVDs. They added full wireless online support. They had the system have a upgraded version of the architecture they'd been working on for years on the Gamecube, and gave it a ton more RAM (so they could have room to work with and optimize their easy-to-write code). They would instantly have the lowest cost of development since the architecture was merely an extension of the last generation's, and subsequently could even simply port games over from last gen consoles, or use last gen assets to design games with. They not only had a digital distribution solution for devs and games of all types and sizes, they additionally had a Virtual Console unified emulation service that let publishers and devs make FREE MONEY reselling their old games without having to reprint or repackage them - straight profit. The console can connect to the equally-quirky and already successful DS and developers could leverage that connectivity the same way they were doing with PSP x PS2 (and later PS3)

In addition to that, as weird as the remote may have been and as much as it may have said "not a hit" when it was first announced, when the machine was an EPIC hit out of the gates in 2006, you'd think that they'd smarten up and even try something legit in 2007...or 2008...or even 2009. They didn't do that, though - and that's all on third parties, not Nintendo. These third parties have an illogical beef with Nintendo that is predicated almost entirely on cost, and it simply isn't good business to be a publisher/developer welfare outfit when you aren't going to get their best output exclusively.

Dave Long

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't know how much you thought about this, but really what you're saying here is what Nintendo has always done. With every successive generation they intelligently pay homage to what came before with the tight gameplay audiences expect in old school game settings.

Just because they do it in 3D instead of 2D sometimes doesn't mean they aren't always looking backward to go forward while at the same time creating new products that form their own franchise lineups.

As for the thread topic, the "phenomenon" is over, because those can only last so long, but sales are probably just peaked at this price. They're probably looking at a drop in 2011, and a whole new raft of buyers will appear, especially among the hardcore who won't be able to resist the new Zelda.

I think Microsoft in particular is riding higher sales volume based on replacement consoles since nearly everyone that owned an original 360 has either had it break or fears it breaking.

zigg

I still think a new phenomenon is possible. All they have to do is pull a new Wii Sports or Wii Fit class product out.

(tall order, I know)

Either way, it's not like it's gasping for breath. It's still doing respectably.

szaromir

Banned
captmcblack said:
Nah, that's bullshit.
Nintendo probably had done the most to make it attractive for third parties to develop for. They changed their media from a proprietary optical disc with limited capacity (like the Cube's discs) to regular DVDs. They added full wireless online support. They had the system have a upgraded version of the architecture they'd been working on for years on the Gamecube, and gave it a ton more RAM (so they could have room to work with and optimize their easy-to-write code). They would instantly have the lowest cost of development since the architecture was merely an extension of the last generation's, and subsequently could even simply port games over from last gen consoles, or use last gen assets to design games with. They not only had a digital distribution solution for devs and games of all types and sizes, they additionally had a Virtual Console unified emulation service that let publishers and devs make FREE MONEY reselling their old games without having to reprint or repackage them - straight profit. The console can connect to the equally-quirky and already successful DS and developers could leverage that connectivity the same way they were doing with PSP x PS2 (and later PS3)

In addition to that, as weird as the remote may have been and as much as it may have said "not a hit" when it was first announced, when the machine was an EPIC hit out of the gates in 2006, you'd think that they'd smarten up and even try something legit in 2007...or 2008...or even 2009. They didn't do that, though - and that's all on third parties, not Nintendo. These third parties have an illogical beef with Nintendo that is predicated almost entirely on cost, and it simply isn't good business to be a publisher/developer welfare outfit when you aren't going to get their best output exclusively.

Not even close, Nintendo did a terrible, lousy job in terms of positioning the system as the default "go to" platform for 3rd party games, both from gamers' and publishers' perspective. Microsoft tried to attract traditional PS2's userbase and developers right from the beginning, be it by building developer friendly platform, sending message to PS2 users (by advertising it as the best system to play Madden, FIFA, Guitar Hero etc,) and directly giving moneyhats to developers who underwise would remain faithful to Sony. Sony (especially after abysmal launch sales) accepted the new rules and played by them, while Nintendo never did a slightest effort to cover PS2's strengths.

Nintendo 3DS - Spring 2011
Skyward Sword - Christmas 2011
Dragon Quest X - Mid 2012 (Japan)
New Nintendo console - Christmas 2012

I think the Wii sequel will have 360/PS3 level graphics and we'll all be wowed when we see the games for it, in the same way many of us were wowed by the graphics for the 3DS.

What are people's thoughts on how the Motion Plus has been handled?

bigpumbaa

I don't buy that Nintendo's in any trouble. I think they are waiting to see what happens this holiday - and they've been able to earn that luxury.

The one powerful thing they have on their side is pricing. I don't think Microsoft or Sony could afford to go as low as Nintendo on pricing. They've been making a profile on each Wii since day one... and $149 is a "mainstream" price. MS and Sony couldn't (and probably wouldn't want to) get that low.

I mean, what price did PS2 really start to take off?

If the argument is that Nintendo didn't go to third parties and throw money at them and subsidize their development and advertising budgets, then you're right about that. I don't agree that they should just be paying for stuff. $40m for games that aren't guaranteed to be hits and guaranteed to NEVER appear anywhere else is not smart money. You guys didn't learn anything from the "Capcom 5" last gen?

If the argument is that Nintendo didn't make their hardware, software and publishing solutions in such a way that it is about as third-party friendly as possible, you're crazy. It's cheap, easy to develop for, port-friendly, can utilize all of the code/software/middleware/engine tools you've made stuff with for years, has much more RAM, uses standard media, and from a gaming standpoint can do anything a modern console needs to be able to do (online, DLC, patches, digital distribution, et al). You can't make games that look like Gears of War on it...but conversely, you won't be out of a job if you spend $30m to develop/publish/advertise Bionic Commando and it bombs since your game will only cost a fraction of that.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
dark10x said:
Welcome to the gaming industry. This kind of thing happens constantly. This is what sunk Bizarre Creations, in fact. They've made quite a few fantastic games over the past few years and all of them have bombed. Nobody can truly say why, but the fact is, their failure has sunk the company. Simply releasing a great game does not guarantee you good sales.
I think the homogeneity of the audience on the HD consoles has blinded people to this fact. Most big games, with masses of advertising and really high production values are almost guaranteed to be well reviewed and sell well.

jay

Amir0x said:

This accurately describes why some of my friends who had sat out of the past few generations of gaming bought a Wii. I'm all for it if it gives us New The Adventure of Link.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Mojojo said:
Crazy as it sound, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was looking at a BCI interface for its next system. It will be super gimmicky and mixed with the wiimote +, but it could have some fun applications in games.
The technology is here, and cheap.
source Wikipedia
http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-09-06/news/17205965_1_headset-brain-control-mass-market
http://**********.com/viewstory.php?id=36246

"With Super Wii, harness the power of your Miind!"

Maybe, but I kinda have doubts about BCI. They require a headset and basically do the same thing the Vitality Sensor promise at 10X's the cost.

Like the slogan though, but I'm thinking if Nintendo goes for another revolution (as oppossed to just an evolution) then it plays on the touch/feel aspect. Better force feedback in the WiiMote so it can "touch you back" may be a feature. If not that then I had also thought a top-mounted motorized projector that can shine images anywhere in a room. Or maybe holograms?

Vinci

Danish
szaromir said:
Not even close, Nintendo did a terrible, lousy job in terms of positioning the system as the default "go to" platform for 3rd party games, both from gamers' and publishers' perspective. Microsoft tried to attract traditional PS2's userbase and developers right from the beginning, be it by building developer friendly platform, sending message to PS2 users (by advertising it as the best system to play Madden, FIFA, Guitar Hero etc,) and directly giving moneyhats to developers who underwise would remain faithful to Sony. Sony (especially after abysmal launch sales) accepted the new rules and played by them, while Nintendo never did a slightest effort to cover PS2's strengths.

I think you need a timeline lesson of how this generation played out, but frankly, I've done that post before already in this thread and I'm not doing it again. In order to avoid doing that, I'll just say that I think you're being rather unrealistic.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The wii phenomenon is over. The wii is now just a console. And it is selling as such.

The worse the Wii does the better for everyone really. Nintendo has had it too easy this gen. Sure they took big risks and achieved a lot with very little outside support, but they did not capitalize on their advantages when they had the time and they have not felt the pressure to substantially enhance the user experience of wii owners.

Also, lack of localization something something. It has been ridiculous this gen.

There are still a few titles I want to buy for the system but am waiting for the software price drop post-holiday. Sonic Colors, Goldeneye, Kirby Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey and a few others.

szaromir

Banned
Vinci said:
I think you need a timeline lesson of how this generation played out, but frankly, I've done that post before already in this thread and I'm not doing it again. In order to avoid doing that, I'll just say that I think you're being rather unrealistic.
No, I'm not being unrealistic. Nintendo could/should have done more with regards to 3rd parties who had no idea how to approach the system. They've done exceptionally well on their own, but Wii would be in a much better situation if it could count on regular 3rd party support.

[Nintex]

TheMagician said:
Nintendo 3DS - Spring 2011
Skyward Sword - Christmas 2011
Dragon Quest X - Mid 2012 (Japan)
New Nintendo console - Christmas 2012

I think the Wii sequel will have 360/PS3 level graphics and we'll all be wowed when we see the games for it, in the same way many of us were wowed by the graphics for the 3DS.

What are people's thoughts on how the Motion Plus has been handled?
I feel it would be better for Nintendo to drop Zelda before the 3DS hits but I'm not sure if the game is finished by then. It's going to be an holiday game :(

farnham

Banned
amtentori said:
The wii phenomenon is over. The wii is now just a console. And it is selling as such.

The worse the Wii does the better for everyone really. Nintendo has had it too easy this gen. Sure they took big risks and achieved a lot with very little outside support, but they did not capitalize on their advantages when they had the time and they have not felt the pressure to substantially enhance the user experience of wii owners.

Also, lack of localization something something. It has been ridiculous this gen.
i believe they did capitalize on their advantages just fine

Vinci

Danish
szaromir said:
No, I'm not being unrealistic. Nintendo could/should have done more with regards to 3rd parties who had no idea how to approach the system. They've done exceptionally well on their own, but Wii would be in a much better situation if it could count on regular 3rd party support.

Beyond helping the smaller 3rd parties that actually gave a crap in the first place, what would you have recommended? [In the case of smaller 3rd parties, I'm with you.]

EDIT: Keep in mind, I'm in no way advocating that Nintendo made zero mistakes or that there isn't room for improvement in many areas, but I think what you're suggesting is just not one of those areas - if you mean what I think you mean.

aeolist

Banned
szaromir said:
This is why it's taken so long for the HD consoles to reach profitability and partially why so many third parties are doing badly now. Microsoft paid everyone directly to make games for an unsustainable platform and it's coming back to bite the entire industry in the ass. Nintendo shouldn't be blamed for recognizing the long term danger and refusing to participate in everyone else's mass delusion.

farnham

Banned
aeolist said:
This is why it's taken so long for the HD consoles to reach profitability and partially why so many third parties are doing badly now. Microsoft paid everyone directly to make games for an unsustainable platform and it's coming back to bite the entire industry in the ass. Nintendo shouldn't be blamed for recognizing the long term danger and refusing to participate in everyone else's mass delusion.
maybe nintendo will buy some of those companies that developed for HD consoles and did not make any profit on it.

there are a lot of companies in japan right now that are financialy in a bad shape

szaromir

Banned
Vinci said:
Beyond helping the smaller 3rd parties that actually gave a crap in the first place, what would you have recommended? [In the case of smaller 3rd parties, I'm with you.]

EDIT: Keep in mind, I'm in no way advocating that Nintendo made zero mistakes or that there isn't room for improvement in many areas, but I think what you're suggesting is just not one of those areas - if you mean what I think you mean.
I'd try to co-develop and co-market Madden/FIFA games with EA after the first iterations failed. Encourage Capcom to develop Resident Evil 4-2 (there was a market for that kind of game on the market... they should have tried to expand it). A couple more blockbusters on the platform would make tremendous difference in the end. Now, Nintendo DID make some efforts like that - MH3 or DQX would be the best examples.

Luckily for them going to next gen they should enjoy multiplatform games by default as long as they include DX10 (or newer) compatible GPU, so that's one problem that's solved for them.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
These discussions always end up about what Nintendo shoulda/woulda/coulda's...it's annoying. How about some thoughts about what they'll do NEXT, instead of trying to talk about the "what ifs" that can't be changed in hindsight.

Will Wii's successor be a simple evolution, or another revolution?

szaromir

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
These discussions always end up about what Nintendo shoulda/woulda/coulda's...it's annoying. How about some thoughts about what they'll do NEXT, instead of trying to talk about the "what ifs" that can't be changed in hindsight.

There's a bunch of discussions regarding Wii's successor in next-gen technology threads since it's expected to launch first.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DrGAKMAN said:

Its especially annoying when the discussion is "Nintendo went from also ran almost out of the game to worldwide leader by a substantial margin, where did they go wrong?" and the answer is "they should look at there less successful competitors and follow what they have done".
Anyway I think Nintendo will go for a super Wii type concept - similar but improved motion controls - and increased hardware power. I don't think they will try and revolutionize the industry again by trying something as experimental as the Wii, if they do I can see them falling flat on their faces. I do think that they will make use of the power in ways other than increased graphical effects and fidelity, it will be in software that they will try and head for blue waters - with their current crop of games they are already there anyway, 2D platformers, 3D platformers - not exactly a crowded market.

jmdajr

I don't know if the controls ever surpassed wii sports or say wario smooth moves. Yeah wii sports resort was an improvement but it's almost like all the potential was used right up front. Am I wrong? Hell super mario brothers was a hit and it was almost all old school play mechanics. So...If Wii sports was their Mario 64 of casual motion games, then they need their Zelda OT for casual motion games. Maybe they just don't care.

Top Bottom