• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Wii phenomenon over?

You guys also realize the Wii has had only 1 price drop, right? How many have the competitors had? 3? Nintendo is still running this generation and they could take back the crown anytime they wanted, at least for a couple of months. I imagine Wiis are cheap as hell to make these days, so they'll still profit even if it's $100.

entremet

Another troubling sticking point is Japan. Software sales for the Wii third parties titles have been mediocre. Didn't Sengoku Basara PS3 outsell the Wil version 2 to 1 in its debut?

I know DQX is still the oven, but other than that I can't think of any big 3rd party Japanese title that's in the pipeline.

Log4Girlz

cosmicblizzard said:
You guys also realize the Wii has had only 1 price drop, right? How many have the competitors had? 3? Nintendo is still running this generation and they could take back the crown anytime they wanted, at least for a couple of months. I imagine Wiis are cheap as hell to make these days, so they'll still profit even if it's $100.

Yes but time to think of a successor. Souped up Xbox 360 with 1GB of ram would be the most I could hope for, even if its a prime opportunity to make a machine that can cheaply blow their current competition out of the water :(

Josh7289

MidnightScott said:
WTF?

Mario Galaxy 2, Kirby, Metroid, and Donkey Kong.

Misstep? I think more like the right step...
Those are all traditional games, and while they may help convert the Wii's expanded market over to these traditional experiences, with Wii Party not selling that well it cannot be said that Nintendo had a strong title to really drive the expanded market this year. In that sense, 2010 is a misstep for them.

Then again, seasonality is expected to be strong this year, so holiday sales could turn things around.

rpmurphy

Nintendo can easily keep the Wii going as much as Sony did with the PS2. There's more than enough value and interest in the existing games and a $100 console price to make it a long-term seller, unless somehow Nintendo manages to design the next generation console that will eat the Wii's legs.

GCX

entrement said:
I know DQX is still the oven, but other than that I can't think of any big 3rd party Japanese title that's in the pipeline.
I wouldn't be so sure DQX is still a Wii game.

Both Nintendo and Square probably see more benefits on releasing it for 3DS or Wii2.

Its been 4 years.

Remember where the Gamecube was after 4 years? In 2005? How was the Xbox doing after 4 years....oh right, it was discontinued. GBA after 4 years...? Discontinued.

Shut down the whole damn industry.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
I believe motion controls are an established part of how we play games now. Seeing how there is no going back after this, the Wii will live on through its successors. Nintendo is going to have to figure out how to re-entice their base though. They have to figure out a way for existing Wii owners to WANT to upgrade.

Who's "we"? I'll die before I play a video game with motion controls.

seady

We are almost in the 5th year of the Wii's life cycle and people are still making topic like this claiming the Wii is a failure.

The Wii is still selling, it's just not as much as before. But isn't it natural as it sold insane numbers in the previous years so it's bound to drop at some point? Plus, Nintendo has not drop the price of the Wii in a long while, and unlike Microsoft and Sony they never relaunch their console with new models.

And there is no doubt that Nintendo expand the market a whole lot by popularize causal gaming and motion gaming on the DS and Wii. Just look at all the casual games out there on Facebook, iPhone, Browser etc, and all the Move and Kinect games.

GCX

cosmicblizzard said:
They've reconfirmed it recently.
Just like it was confirmed there wouldn't be a DS revision two days before Lite was announced.

I'll believe it when I see the first actual footage.

rpmurphy

Trent Strong said:
Who's "we"? I'll die before I play a video game with motion controls.
There's really not that many more sticks, buttons, and triggers you can add to the existing gamepad. Gyros and accelerometers are basically already must-haves in future controller designs.

GCX said:
Just like it was confirmed there wouldn't be a DS revision two days before Lite was announced.

I'll believe it when I see the first actual footage.

The game is definitely still coming to Wii. Unless Horii is lying and it really isn't coming sooner rather than later, there's no way they'll scrap it and start over on something else.

Whether it gets a quick port to something else is another matter. I doubt it though.

entremet

seady said:
We are almost in the 5th year of the Wii's life cycle and people are still making topic like this claiming the Wii is a failure.

The Wii is still selling, it's just not as much as before. But isn't it natural as it sold insane numbers in the previous years so it's bound to drop at some point? Plus, Nintendo has not drop the price of the Wii in a long while, and unlike Microsoft and Sony they never relaunch their console with new models.

And there is no doubt that Nintendo expand the market a whole lot by popularize causal gaming and motion gaming on the DS and Wii. Just look at all the casual games out there on Facebook, iPhone, Browser etc, and all the Move and Kinect games.
When did I say it's a failure? I said that I thought whole NPD record breaking phenoma of the Wii is over. I don't think it means the system is a failure. Every product released into the market it's going to have a high point of sales, followed up with a natural tapering off. Does that mean that the product failed or succeeded? I don't think so.

JWong

Banned
entrement said:
Do you mean casual gamers? They're lineup this year has been mostly traditional stuff--SP:SS, Metroid: Other M, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and DKCR.
Yes, casual gamers.
MidnightScott said:
WTF?

Mario Galaxy 2, Kirby, Metroid, and Donkey Kong.

Misstep? I think more like the right step...
No, it's a misstep.

Does anyone really think the millions of casual minigame players and wiifit purchasers care about what we play? While the majority of gamers are focused on the HD systems, the Wii gets less attention especially in the climate of the two motion controls. Wii has done poorly YoY for this year, and that's why it is a misstep.

JWong said:
No, it's a misstep.

Does anyone really think the millions of casual minigame players and wiifit purchasers care about what we play? While the majority of gamers are focused on the HD systems, the Wii gets less attention especially in the climate of the two motion controls. Wii has done poorly YoY for this year, and that's why it is a misstep.

In other words, Nintendo just can't win no matter what they do.

GCX

cosmicblizzard said:
The game is definitely still coming to Wii. Unless Horii is lying and it really isn't coming sooner rather than later, there's no way they'll scrap it and start over on something else.

Whether it gets a quick port to something else is another matter. I doubt it though.
Still, you need to look it from business perspective.

Square-Enix hasn't been doing too well lately and Dragon Quest is one of their biggest sellers. They want to release it for a system with as much buzz as possible to maximize sales. Wii on the other hand is pretty much dead in Japan. Nintendo wouldn't probably mind either to get a huge 3rd party seller pretty early on new system's life cycle.

But we'll see.

GCX said:

Square-Enix hasn't been doing too good lately and Dragon Quest is one of their biggest sellers. They want to release it for a system with as much buzz as possible to maximize sales. Wii on the other hand is pretty much dead in Japan. Nintendo wouldn't probably mind either to get a huge 3rd party seller pretty early on new system's life cycle.

But we'll see.

DQ has ALWAYS gone to the console/handheld with the highest install base. This wouldn't be the first time one is released in a climate like this. It's a phenomenon that will sell no matter where it goes and revitalize sales for whatever it's on.

Again, that isn't to say it won't go to the 3DS as well. It would be bad even from a business perspective to scrap what they already have so they could move it to something else.

Also, Square has been doing fine. Just because people don't like their games doesn't mean they aren't making a profit. Not sure what kind of effect FFXIV will have on them though.

Jtrizzy

How bad does a wii look on a big screen? I have a 50" panasonic plasma, are the component cords really going to make a difference or should I just play it on an old crt set? Sorry to go ot, but Ill probably just rent a wii for mario/dk/zelda etc instead of buy if I have to break out an old crt to play these games.

ntropy

GCX said:

Square-Enix hasn't been doing too well lately and Dragon Quest is one of their biggest sellers. They want to release it for a system with as much buzz as possible to maximize sales. Wii on the other hand is pretty much dead in Japan. Nintendo wouldn't probably mind either to get a huge 3rd party seller pretty early on new system's life cycle.

But we'll see.
uhm, DQ doesn't need the buzz, because it does the buzzing itself. bzzzzz

ntropy said:
uhm, DQ doesn't need the buzz, because it does the buzzing itself. bzzzzz

Well, Nintendo still has DQX, Rhythm Tengoku, and The Last Story for Japan. Sales could improve significantly this X-mas too.

Adam J.

The Wii has definitely entered it's fat-Elvis period, but that's fine with me. If they really aren't going to make a new HD console in the next few years that can only mean that they will be forced to dust off old fan-favorites, ala DK Country.

J@hranimo

Banned
Just what will they do next? What I hope is that the next console needs to be as powerful as the 360/PS3 no doubt, but keep that same Ninty charm.

Vizion28

Banned
OP, don't you think the question is premature? I recall last Dec. some peeps were saying the Wii was dying then it had the best selling Dec. of any console ever.

My prediction is that the Wii will once again dominate with DKCR, Mickey, Wii Party, Just Dance 2 and Goldeneye leading the push for more Wii sales.

That said the Wii is no where close to dying when Nintendo can easily cut the price to $120-$150 to drive up sales back to the combined sales of the HD consoles and still make a profit to boot.

farnham

Banned
Freezie KO said:
Sin and Punishment 2.

So "forgot their target audience?" Nope.

Sales decline? Yep.
their target audience is the casual gamer

not the hardcore gamer

they focused on hardcore gamers these year but those people wont move from 360 and PS3

while the casual gamer now moved on to move and kinect

farnham

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
technically they had two

one normal pricedrop

and one stealth pricedrop this year (where they included an additional game to the bundle)

farnham said:

What? :lol

Kinect has some buzz, but it has a long way to go before you can say that about it.

As for Move, the less said the better.

troushers

Doesn't it go something like this?

Wii sales taper off
Gaf topic predicts end of Wii fad
Nintendo drop price / change colour / change bundle / Christmas comes
Wii sales break records
Return to Go.

ZoddGutts

Vizion28 said:
OP, don't you think the question is premature? I recall last Dec. some peeps were saying the Wii was dying then it had the best selling Dec. of any console ever.

My prediction is that the Wii will once again dominate with DKCR, Mickey, Wii Party, Just Dance 2 and Goldeneye leading the push for more Wii sales.

That said the Wii is no where close to dying when Nintendo can easily cut the price to $120-$150 to drive up sales back to the combined sales of the HD consoles and still make a profit to boot.

You should see the hardware sales in media create sales for all of this year, it's awful. The hardware sales in the U.S. has also been slowing down... it's slowed down that's for sure.

Oh and Just Dance 2 didn't help the Wii put it above the 360 or the PS3.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413244

farnham said:
technically they had two

one normal pricedrop

and one stealth pricedrop this year (where they included an additional game to the bundle)

They actually did have a legitimate stealth pricedrop with the old models which were/are $150. The retailers advertise that though, not Nintendo, so I guess it's technically "unofficial".

farnham

Banned
ZoddGutts said:
You should see the hardware sales in media create sales for all of this year, it's awful. The hardware sales in the U.S. has also been slowing down... it's slowed down that's for sure.

Oh and Just Dance 2 didn't help the Wii put it above the 360 or the PS3.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413244
indeed

it might go up with wii relax, wii fit 3, wii sports 3 and price "bomb zal" dropping

but as it is it looks bad. too bad because 2010 was probably the best year for the wii so far release wise (outside of the casual gaming stuff)
cosmicblizzard said:
They actually did have a legitimate stealth pricedrop with the old models which were/are $150. The retailers advertise that though, not Nintendo, so I guess it's technically "unofficial".
is that stuff still on shelves ?

wow they do move slowly this year

Vizion28

Banned
GCX said:
Nintendo has changed its focus to 3DS and later to Wii2.

Skyward Sword is the only big announced 1st party Wii game in development.

And Pikmin 3. And Mario Sports Mix, if that is 1st party.

Nintendo is very secretive I doubt they are not making compelling games for Wii still. Just because they don't announce games a year ahead like other companies doesn't mean they are not working on new games/peripherals for Wii.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's been 4 years. How could it not have some sort of a dropoff? However, I think Wii will settle into its twilight years comfortably... with an install base like that, software will keep flowing for awhile.

farnham

Banned
BocoDragon said:
It's been 4 years. How could it not have some sort of a dropoff? However, I think Wii will settle into its twilight years comfortably... with an install base like that, software will keep flowing for awhile.
yeah about that..

Tabris

beast786 said:
So Gaf was right all along?

NO I WAS RIGHT. SUCK IT LOSERS!

cobra_commander.jpg

It's weird how we perceive the Wii now.

After so long of looking at it and going, "wow, its doing amazing. again" every month, we now go, "wow, its doing so poorly" when it finally levels out with the competition.

Mael

Freezie KO said:
Sin and Punishment 2.

So "forgot their target audience?" Nope.

Sales decline? Yep.

Considering that their target audience this gen are people that do not usually play game ie Expanded Audience.
I'd say they forgot them all right.

Bear

God damn, what is it with this persistent "Wii is losing" mentality? We had the same thing when the PS3 Slim came out and temporarily outsold the Wii. So it takes the force (and temporary sales boost) of a complete rebranding and relaunch for only one of the competing companies to edge out the Wii in sales charts, how on earth is that a bad thing?

The Wii has still outsold both of them this year, not to mention the 2010 sales numbers are already higher than the PS3 or 360 in any previous year (except for the PS3 in 2009), and that's without the historically high Nov/Dec sales. Even if Microsoft actually manages to outsell them this year, Nintendo is guaranteed to have the best annual "second-place" numbers this generation by a very large margin. Did you know that, if their holiday sales are proportionally the same as before, that this year alone would rival the Xbox/Gamecube total sales? Even if it's less than that, those are very high numbers.

Anyone who thinks they are doing poorly is either delusional or full of shit. There is simply no basis in fact for that kind of belief.

onipex

entrement said:
The Wi___ line: The Wii____ line has been gangbusters for Nintendo. With the exception of WiiMusic, they sold millions worldwide,.

Wii Music has sold millions worldwide

antonz said:
The Wii has reached a stable sales point. It was selling at unheard of rates that not even the almighty PS2 ever reached. It is like 25% ahead of the PS2 in sales for same time frame.

Nintendo via record setting sales hit the soft cap on saturation so sales have now reduced to normal levels which are on par with or still ahead of the PS2.

Nintendo will not have a 10 year lifespan for the Wii but its not dead either. All 3 consoles are on average selling what would be close to normal sales. Problem is the Wii really distorted sales numbers by its wild launch and following years.

I agree with almost everything you said. This is not a normal console generation. There has never been one like this one before( that I know of anyway). The Wii broke sales records for 3 years. Last year I think it was just in December. The PS3 and the 360 had a relaunch and many price drops. The PS3 is attempting a second relaunch with Move . The 360's relaunch is the slim and Kinect , which has it soaring high right now. Meanwhile the Wii is still selling at normal levels well in range of the HD consoles with new colors,bundles and a price drop.

I think Nintendo could have relaunched the Wii with more ram or a harddrive and maybe a different design, but really they didn't need to. The last time I saw numbers posted the total software of the 360 was not too far ahead of the Wii and the Wii was well ahead of the PS3. The Wii is still rolling along.

It has DQX in Japan and maybe an old DQ port coming. Nintendo might fully pay for the development of that game to keep on the Wii. In the US we have to wait and see how games like DCR and Epic Mickey do,but I'm starting to have my doubts on the effect they will have on hardware.

Brashnir

Its position as an unbelieveably-successful juggernaut has come to an end, yes.

However, it's still putting up solid numbers and will continue to for some time. It's future prospects still appear stronger than any point during the Gamecube's existence.

farnham said:
their target audience is the casual gamer

not the hardcore gamer

they focused on hardcore gamers these year but those people wont move from 360 and PS3

False. Nintendo have focused on appealing to both market segments. Their lineup this year has been predominantly made up of bridge titles, the only games that they have released that have been truly squarely aimed at the "hardcore" segment are Metroid Other M and Sin & Punishment 2.

And Move hasn't exactly been a smashing success either, so I don't know where you're getting that idea from :lol Kinect is off to a strong start though...

antonz said:
The Wii has reached a stable sales point. It was selling at unheard of rates that not even the almighty PS2 ever reached. It is like 25% ahead of the PS2 in sales for same time frame.

Nintendo via record setting sales hit the soft cap on saturation so sales have now reduced to normal levels which are on par with or still ahead of the PS2.

Nintendo will not have a 10 year lifespan for the Wii but its not dead either. All 3 consoles are on average selling what would be close to normal sales. Problem is the Wii really distorted sales numbers by its wild launch and following years.

This is very true. Wii may have slowed down, but it is still selling like a "normal" console and is still well ahead of the PS2 (launch aligned) In Japan though, its hardware sales are pretty dead in the water and have been for some time. But of course, a huge chunk of the Wii's yearly hardware sales come from the Christmas season (much more so than the other 2 consoles) so let's just see what happens in the next 2 months...

Also the OP is correct in saying that Nintendo's internal development has moved on to the 3DS. Nintendo only have 2 internally developed games left for the Wii that we know for sure about (Zelda and Rhythm Tengoku Wii) and personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pikmin 3 and Wii Relax get pushed onto the next console.

The Wii isn't dead in terms of sales, but it's on life support in terms of software support.

Top Bottom