• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any game with a more radical localization than Elite Beat Agents?

Dimmle

8RXHuSB.gif

Completely redesigned characters, a whole different slate of licensed music-- calling Elite Beat Agents a localization of Ouendan might actually be a stretch. It's closer to a pseudo-sequel. I find it fascinating the lengths to which Nintendo went and the misplaced confidence it must have had in EBA's future to dedicate such an evidently massive localization budget to a quirky rhythm game. They stopped just short of handing it to Beyonce.

Is there any game out there with a more extreme makeover for foreign shores?

Kyari

I'm not sure its fair to even call it a localisation, more like a western exclusive sequel to a game we never had. Its mechanically more refined than the first Oendan but came out before the second (I think?)

entremet

I'm not sure its fair to even call it a localisation, more like a western exclusive sequel to a game we never had. Its mechanically more refined than the first Oendan but came out before the second (I think?)

I agree with this. It did come out before Ouendan 2.

Ouendan>EBA>Ouendan 2.

Yes but they all suck, EBA was an incredible exception to the rule.

My favorite is a Ranma fighting game for SNES transformed in this:

chounaicomp10.png
streetcombatcomp10.png

chounaicomp2.png
streetcombatcomp2.png

chounaicomp7.png
streetcombatcomp7.png

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Think this one is still on top.

250px-Super_Mario_Bros_2.jpg

Pretty much this.

Dimmle

I'm inclined to agree with you, but producing an entirely American sequel is pretty ridiculous in itself, right?

EBA is totally different game. I don't think it counts.

There were a few older games that got big changes for Western release. Super Mario Bros 2 was cartoon licensed game in Japan and got Mario put in for the US. Double Dragon II GB was originally a Kunio-Kun (River City Ransom) game.

I would not even call it a localization; it's a completely new game made to appeal to Western audiences. None of the models were reused, there were entirely new stories, and I think even the animations were entirely new.

I imported Ouendan 1 and 2 back in college. In fact, Ouendan is what got me to upgrade to a DS Lite since it had an elevated bottom screen (rather than the original's sunken screen) which made the wheel spins much easier.

I think it's that Nintendo saw that people were importing this game and its sequel left and right, and they felt like they had something. It says something to the quality of EBA that it made me enjoy songs that would otherwise make me want to rip my ears off.

It's a shame that it didn't sell well (lack of marketing will do that), but at least it lives on in through Osu!, which I should really give another shot.

As a side note, the final stage with Jumpin' Jack Flash was HYPE AS HELL and I was disappointed when I listened to the original Rolling Stones song and it felt slower.

From a mechanics standpoint, it's really closer to Ouendan 2 (skippable intros, replay saving, the two-part finale, unlockable songs). Though Ouendan 2 even offers more stuff beyond EBA, like hidden mode and downloadable multiplayer characters. I'd be rather hard-pressed to call any of them simply localizations.

It's interesting to see how a Western-only sequel to Ouendan was retooled, though. Don't really think it was very high-budget, but Nintendo did seem rather confident that it would do pretty well alongside the ongoing wave of licensed music games at the time.

Oh, Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack is a good example. Pretty sure the base games are near identical. Also, Yo! Noid and Kamen no Ninja Hanamaru.

Here's a video showing some of the changes, but going from a traditional Japanese theme to a pizza mascot is a pretty radical change in and of itself.

Yes but they all suck, EBA was an incredible exception to the rule.

My favorite is a Ranma fighting game for SNES transformed in this:

chounaicomp10.png
streetcombatcomp10.png
This was dumb. I had this and the other Ranma fighting games. IIRC it came out just before or around SF2 because I remember it being a hold over until we could play SF2 on the SNES.

The silly thing was, my friends and I were all into anime but with so few ways to get it back it then we settled for playing the licensed anime video games, if they'd released them over here they would've appealed more than these crappy westernised redesigns.

Dimmle

Ha, I used to play that Ranma fighter through extralegal measures. That's amazing. Robot on a skateboard.

sn00zer

Hot Shots golf 2-4 had vastly different character designs and bonus playstation characters...I kinda wished they kept doing that with newer releases, not a fan of the anime-y designs

Dimmle

Hey, just thought of another example that's fascinated me recently.

The first instance of Sunsoft's Hebereke franchise was released in Europe under the painful name, Ufouria: The Saga. The most interesting differences are the character designs that were altered. Specifically, penguin -> Alien Hominid looking dude and fox -> derpy dinosaur. Also, I think some bird poop was changed into a 10 ton weight or something.

LizardInline_1282598853.jpg

Freeon Leon

Ufouria%20-%20The%20Saga%20(E).png

Bop-Louie (what the fuck)

Hebereke%20(J).png

hqdefault.jpg

I will fight anyone who does not believe Freeon Leon to be the superior design. Good on you, weird, inspired Europeans. That said, look at that Japanese title screen. Man.

ZeroX03

Banned
EBA 3DS. Downloadable songs every 3 months. shhh. Let it go.

Oh and :

2658832-comic331_zps0e179cf7.png

AA's localization isn't that radical at all, it just shifts some cultural references. Story remains 90% the same, gameplay exactly the same. But I appreciate you were just looking for a reason to post that picture.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sengoku Basara -> Devil Kings

Radical version of sengoku warfare changed into fight between devil
Several character got removed, new gameplay element, and no mention about the historical warfare
Nobunaga Oda-> Devil kings
Date Masamune -> Azure Dragon
Yukimura Sanada-> Scorpio

studyguy

Sengoku Basara -> Devil Kings

Radical version of sengoku warfare changed into fight between devil
Several character got removed, new gameplay element, and no mention about the historical warfare
Nobunaga Oda-> Devil kings
Date Masamune -> Azure Dragon
Yukimura Sanada-> Scorpio

For the longest time I had no idea Sengoku Basara was Devil Kings.
That was such a weird fucking choice.

They could do so much with EBA to make it sell more and even release it in every country with any major touchups.

EBA: Nintendo songs (this could be made really funny, using even Nintendo's heads as the helping dancing team going to different nintendo worlds to help the heroes, and a parody of the company like Segaga).
EBA: Disney songs (of course this would cost more because of licensing but it would seel a freaking ton).

I know is about tradical localisations but this thread made me sad we are not going to get another ouendan/EBA :(

Brqan

This thread reminds me that I have a sealed copy of this game that I never opened because I heard this game really scratchs the bottom screen with all the sliding with the stylus.

Mupod

This thread reminds me that I have a sealed copy of this game that I never opened because I heard this game really scratchs the bottom screen with all the sliding with the stylus.

it does, but it's so fucking worth it.

"Linda linda, linda linda lindaaaaa. Lindalindalindalindalindalinda lindaaaaaa." Fucking crazy ass ouendan songs, best game i ever imported.

sphinx

the piano man
Is there any game out there with a more extreme makeover for foreign shores?

I wonder if its original japanese version also came with its homophobic tone.

This fucking dog has to reach his owner. If you play well, two hot chicks give you a ride, if you play bad, two disgusting subhuman ******* appear instead and offer you a ride, but of course since gay people suck, he bites one of them in the arm.

fuck this game, I am very glad if failed miserably at retail.

This fucking dog has to reach his owner. If you play well, two hot chicks give you a ride, if you play bad, two disgusting subhuman ******* appear instead and offer you a ride, but of course since gay people suck, he bites one of them in the arm.

homophobic_zpsq3zw42tm.gif

Oh man, I never even remembered that part like that. I thought they were bullies who acted like they wanted to give the dog a ride, but then punched him and drove off. Rather than the dog biting them. Okay, that was a very questionable decision. The doggie was also my favourite character in the game. ):

How can a game that features Cher's Believe do such a thing!

sakipon

Wow. Is that from EBA? I never played the game but that joke with those men seems tasteless.

Dimmle

Wow, I totally don't remember that. That sure seems like a super Japanese "comedy" beat to me, weird that it cropped up in the US version.

It's an unfortunate joke.

Top Bottom