• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any game with a more radical localization than Elite Beat Agents?

also

Banned
I posted one a few posts above.

Also here's a fairly recent one:

V39ZwxEl.jpg
The Japanese Rusty is the original one.

Javier

The Japanese Rusty is the original one.
Oh yeah, I know that. That part of the post was a reply to the thread in general rather than the post I quoted.

And yes, the one on the left is the original Japanese version of Rusty.

Yasumi

Banned
This one stuck out in my mind. It's kind of an amalgamation of the Grand Battles we never got + an adventure mode where you recruit crew mates. Japan never got Grand Adventure itself.
One%20Piece%20Grand%20Adventure.jpg

I wonder if its original japanese version also came with its homophobic tone.

This fucking dog has to reach his owner. If you play well, two hot chicks give you a ride, if you play bad, two disgusting subhuman ******* appear instead and offer you a ride, but of course since gay people suck, he bites one of them in the arm.

fuck this game, I am very glad if failed miserably at retail.

homophobic_zpsq3zw42tm.gif

Nah bro the game didn't hate gay people, just that dog.

For real though I think it takes more than one tasteless gag to say a game has a "homophobic tone."

also

Banned
Oh yeah, I know that. That part of the post was a reply to the thread in general rather than the post I quoted.

And yes, the one on the left is the original Japanese version of Rusty.

Ah, sorry, got confused for a second, but it seems like I'm not the only one...

Woah holy shit. The one on the left looks like it came straight out of an old racist Bugs Bunny cartoon. That was the Japanese localization?

No, that's the original Japanese design which was later changed into a dead-inside-psycho-that-will-murder-you-in-your-sleep for NA. Awful change.

Zubz

Banned
I'm not sure its fair to even call it a localisation, more like a western exclusive sequel to a game we never had. Its mechanically more refined than the first Oendan but came out before the second (I think?)

Yeah; EBA wasn't so much a localization as it was a US-exclusive sequel to the Japan-exclusive original. It apparently did better than Ouendan, too, but only Ouendan got a sequel, sadly...

It never ended up happening, but I remember reading somewhere that Pokemon was supposed to be localized for America with tiny pro-wrestlers replacing each of the monsters. I can't find it anywhere, so maybe I'm remembering it wrong, though. If someone could provide an article about it, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Nah bro the game didn't hate gay people, just that dog.

For real though I think it takes more than one tasteless gag to say a game has a "homophobic tone."
While that joke is tasteless and dumb, I would agree.

There are other instances where that stereotypical portrayal pops up in the series, but they are all at least represented as positive characters. (One villain in Ouendan 2 sorta falls into this, but not in a degrading way IMO, just silly.)

It doesn't have the fun story stuff but the gameplay in DJ Max Technika Tune is very similar to EBA/Ouendan, if not better. Excellent game; one of my favorites on the Vita.

I like other rhythm games but IMO for them to be amazing it's not only the gameply it has to be good, but it has to be music I like or is REALLY fun to play, and fun characters and story.

Seeing a 10 minute video of the game you said seems is not my cup of tea. Thanks for shwoing me the game though.

Top Bottom