• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the worst movie poster ever or what

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auctopus

http://imgur.com/gallery/jrmWj
15 overused movie poster cliches

M8iVhoj.jpg

I'll give you the other two but a lot of the posters here are quite varied, they just use the colour yellow. Is that really a cliche? You could probably do the same thing with other primary colours. You could throw some of them in the cliche piles demonstrated elsewhere in the link.

JoeBoy101

Waitaminute, you're telling me there's a movie featuring Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine, Max von Sydow, and Pele? With a score by Bill Conti?! And it's directed by John Huston!?!?

And I haven't seen it!?!?!?

Wikipedia said:
Escape to Victory, known simply as Victory in North America, is a 1981 film about Allied prisoners of war who are interned in a German prison camp during the Second World War who play an exhibition match of football against a German team. The film was directed by John Huston and starred Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone, Max von Sydow, Daniel Massey, Bobby Moore and Pelé.

Not a bad flick. Very similar to The Longest Yard, but without the Yuck-Yucks.

And for that extra push, its directed by John Houston.

C4Lukins

He looks like the dude from GoT that got his franks and beans cut off.. not the bald one.

Anyway I bet this movie is awesome, if its anything like the Bad Lieutenant remake. Who am I kidding, it probably sucks, but I like Nick. He so cray.

I really liked it. Much better then typical Nic Cage straight to video schlock.

Skux

I'll give you the other two but a lot of the posters here are quite varied, they just use the colour yellow. Is that really a cliche? You could probably do the same thing with other primary colours. You could throw some of them in the cliche piles demonstrated elsewhere in the link.

Yellow has become the go-to for "quirky indie film".

Speevy

Banned
I need to first understand the reasoning behind such a question

Because you seem pretty adamant that Steven Seagal's straight to DVD trash not be ridiculed in this thread.

I mean, if you're about to say something like "I just don't think the poster looks that ridiculous.", let met cut you off.

It does because

1) It's Stephen Seagal in another abysmal S2V release. He's very old and it's very sad.
2) It/he looks ridiculous.

The better question concerns why you're defending it.

Because you seem pretty adamant that Steven Seagal's straight to DVD trash not be ridiculed in this thread.

I mean, if you're about to say something like "I just don't think the poster looks that ridiculous.", let met cut you off.

It does because

1) It's Stephen Seagal in another abysmal S2V release. He's very old and it's very sad.
2) It/he looks ridiculous.

The better question concerns why you're defending it.

I've seen almost all Steven Seagal films, including all his recent straight to DVD releases. They are for the most part, quite fantastic in what they seek to achieve, which is a no nonsense martial arts and CQC action from Seagal. I highly recommend watching Code of Honor, it's actually quite a deep film when considering the implications of the plot and characters.

The poster itself isn't bad, it's actually good. Effective marketing for its audience

The poster itself isn't bad, it's actually good. Effective marketing for its audience

It's a terrible poster. Where are all those empty shells coming from? Seagal? Why is he shooting at the ground? Why is there a car exploding to the left? That title font is awful and the A looks like they forgot it and had to squeeze it in. I doubt it's a still from the movie, so why did they use a photo that makes his pants and hand look so weird? From the waist up, he does look "bad ass," though I suspect that keffiyeh hides a double-chin and his hair is black as shoe polish. I won't even fault him the katana.

xandaca

Another entry in Cage's terrible poster pantheon. Where's his gun? And why is his hand seemingly reaching through his shoulder AND flat under his jacket? Also that hair.

And while not a poster, this Terminator Genisys promotional picture for Entertainment Weekly never stops making me laugh.

(There are others, all funny, especially the Matt Smith one)

It's a terrible poster. Where are all those empty shells coming from? Seagal? Why is he shooting at the ground? Why is there a car exploding to the left? That title font is awful and the A looks like they forgot it and had to squeeze it in. I doubt it's a still from the movie, so why did they use a photo that makes his pants and hand look so weird? From the waist up, he does look "bad ass," though I suspect that keffiyeh hides a double-chin and his hair is black as shoe polish. I won't even fault him the katana.

You're asking all the wrong questions

20cent

Banned
Are these real? Was the marketing/ad guy too drunk to make a poster and was on a deadline so he had his 7 year old kid make one in photoshop real quick?

They are pretty bad, but I wish that all the photoshop experts from gaming forums, Tumblr and Deviantart were at this level though.

Some of these posts are representative of a meta genre of movie posters. Like those comedy ones are all pretty similar in style. Like that shitty Tripple H poster, I've seen similiar posters in terms of composition.

Same with a lot of those big white chrome font thriller posters. Even Hollywoods movie posters are out of ideas. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom