• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Wii HiFi" Nintendo's next console?

gerg

I know I said I'd drop the issue, but it's not like the 3DS is going to be the only focus of Nintendo's conference. Zelda and the Vitality Sensor are undoubtedly going to have a large presence, the latter with corresponding software; Wii Party is likely to get some sort of mention, alongside lots of other software. It's not like another two minutes focused on vague details of a far-away console are suddenly going to split the press' undiverted attention away from the 3DS.

Vinci

Danish
Twig said:
That's also my point. You're talking in absolutes. Absolutes don't work, especially when speculating.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches (that is, presenting only 3DS vs. 3DS and Wii HD at the same time). There are potential benefits. I'm not going to list them, because others already have, and you keep shitting all over them because apparently you think you're more knowledgeable in the art of speculating.

For the record, I think that while there is a chance of something like this happening, it is a very slim chance. But only because the Wii is still hot shit and it younger than the DS.

I said they could very well do this. As for the advantages listed, they don't seem very significant compared to the possibility of diverting people's attention away from their upcoming piece of hardware. The Wii's successor could easily be announced and unveiled at next E3 and it would amount to the same without affecting the 3DS in the slightest way.

Now, given they gave us far more information to work with, tying the two products together in some way as Fourth Storm mentioned, that's all well and good. But to just say, "18 months, new console, kthnx" is pretty worthless.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Very unlikely they'd announce a successor while Wii is riding so high.

Wii Hi-Fi is so out of left-field though that there might be something to it, not your typical made-up name rumour.

gerg

I know, I know, I can't help myself...

Vinci said:
Now, given they gave us far more information to work with, tying the two products together in some way as Fourth Storm mentioned, that's all well and good. But to just say, "18 months, new console, kthnx" is pretty worthless.

... but you can't eat your cake and have it too. You can't imagine that whatever Nintendo will say would be so insignificant inasmuch as it wouldn't be worth their while saying it, and yet suddenly at the same time it would make the entire media collectively think "3D... what?".

TunaLover

I agree with the subname not being the average extreme nerdy name, it give some credibility to the rumor.

Also "Hi" stands for "Hello" the same way "Wii" stands "We" in a friendly way.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
mehdi_san said:
According to what game developers told them, it will be announced at the right end of Nintendo's E3 conference, and it is planned to release around November 2011.
question arises: what will be announced at the left end of the conference?

plot thickens.

blu said:
question arises: what will be announced at the left end of the conference?

plot thickens.

Well, think of it as your average 2D platformer. In most of these games, you start on the left and move towards the right in search of the end of the level, in this case, the conference. So it's fair to say that the left end can contain anything from talk about sales to a reveal of big games like SMG in a video reel... there's even a chance of Miyamoto conducting a Wii Music 2 orchestra! The possibilities truly are, endless.

camineet

Banned
Wii HiFi actually sounds reasonable :lol but on par with Xbox 360? No way, it'll go beyond 360, since AMD have GPUs now with 10-20 times the performance of Xenos.

Vinci

Danish
gerg said:
... but you can't eat your cake and have it too. You can't imagine that whatever Nintendo will say would be so insignificant inasmuch as it wouldn't be worth their while saying it, and yet suddenly at the same time it would make the entire media collectively think "3D... what?".

I guess the major roadblock in the two of us seeing eye to eye here is that you have far more faith in the gaming media than I do.

camineet said:
Wii HiFi actually sounds reasonable :lol but on par with Xbox 360? No way, it'll go beyond 360, since AMD have GPUs now with 10-20 times the performance of Xenos.

Now that I think of it, this would still be considered pretty "blue ocean" of Nintendo. They would be disrupting the flow of the market by deciding for themselves, and everyone else, when "next-gen" begins.

TunaLover

Chris Kohler is reporting that Nintendo will have a developer roundtable on tuesday at 6PM, the same event we got Smash Brothers, Zelda announcement, and Pikmin 3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo announces the next Wii. Surprised, but not shocked.

gkryhewy

For a variety of reasons, I was actually thinking they'd announce the Wii successor at this conference. I bet this is legit, but the launch will be sooner than end of 2011.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't believe this particular rumour, but I DO believe Nintendo should announce a refresh.

Why not? 2011 will be five years post-Wii. Their competitors are 'upgrading' their platforms now on various fronts, and they can do so without a new box because - arguably from a Nintendo POV - they were overspecced to start with. Wii wasn't however, and I think time's right for a new box.

On par with 360?

So in other words, only some games will be in "High Definition". Not interested.

I do hope it's the same architecture so Dolphin will be able to continue emulating any new Nintendo system

gkryhewy said:
For a variety of reasons, I was actually thinking they'd announce the Wii successor at this conference. I bet this is legit, but the launch will be sooner than end of 2011.

Nintendo aren't going to launch two new major platforms in one year. 2011 is the absolute earliest time that it could launch.

evangd007

mehdi_san said:
Except in Japan, where they don't use the "HD" term at all, but Hi-Vision instead :s

Ah-Ha! So it isn't Hi-Fi, it's Hi-Vi!

And to butt in on gerg and Vinci's debate about whether this announcement would devalue the reveal of the 3DS, I'd have to take Vinci's side on this one. The industry has been clamoring for the next Wii since, well in some places since the Wii's launch, and to the Western audience it is much more significant than the 3DS. As for the 3DS, it is exciting as Nintendo's new handheld, but having little to no competition in the West it simply isn't as big of a story as the new Wii.

In short the Wii Hi-Fi would overshadow the 3DS because the journalists say so.

camineet

Banned
I kinda thought some years ago that the next nintendo handheld would launch in 2010, and the next console in 2011 or 2012. Looks like im gonna be right.

Mikey Jr.

Wow, if Pachter was right, you guys are going to eat so much

eating_crow.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
so will this be nintendos thing now on?

That is to always be "behind" one generation performance wise.

Kard8p3

Mikey Jr. said:

eating_crow.jpg

Thing is on the gametrailers show bonus round he said he no longer believes it to be coming. So if it comes now after he's changed his mind he still gets no credit.

mehdi_san said:
(They don't say it directly in the article, but I am pretty sure the logo is not real. They made it just to go with the article. )
WiiHiFi_MAV_01.jpg

The journalist from gameblog.fr are on a leash recently. After implying that they already saw Metal Gear Solid Rising running at Kojima productions, and leaking Mizuguchi's next game code name (Child of Eden), they are now affirming that Nintendo's next console will be called Wii HiFi. According to what game developers told them, it will be announced at the right end of Nintendo's E3 conference, and it is planned to release around November 2011. Here are the details that have leaked so far:
  • It should be on par with the 360
  • It should not be called Wii 2 but Wii HiFi
  • It will be very online-oriented this time
  • Community aspects will be a big component
  • It should be out around November 2011

They don't know how much Nintendo will be showing at E3 though: just the name? Maybe the design? The controller?

So what do you guys think? Isn't it too early to show it if they plan on releasing in November 2011?

Source: http://www.gameblog.fr/news_15992_e3-10-la-wii-hifi-serait-annoncee-a-l-e3
I´d take this with a galaxy of salt. Why would they be in a hurry to announce their next console? They are still having the highest sales numbers of the current gen consoles.

Mikey Jr. said:

eating_crow.jpg

How would Pachter be right? He was saying it would simply be a WiiHD marginal upgrade(with, I'm assuming, scaling up to HD rather than natively rendering in it) and that it would be out this year! Any idiot could tell you that Nintendo would release another console 5/6 years later and that it would probably support HD resolutions.

TouchMyBox said:
On par with 360?

So in other words, only some games will be in "High Definition". Not interested.

I do hope it's the same architecture so Dolphin will be able to continue emulating any new Nintendo system

It was stated in an investors Q&A that games like Wii Fit don't necessarily need to be in HD and that it would just waste money. I don't see a problem with this philosophy.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Corky said:
so will this be nintendos thing now on?

That is to always be "behind" one generation performance wise.

Well, thing is, if they end up becoming leaders every time they do that, then they're not "behind". They become the standard, and the others are seen as being high-end at best, overshooting at worst.

Blueblur1

DeathbyVolcano said:
Why haven't we gotten any pictures of the convention center being set up yet? I thought that shit was, like, part of every PrE-3 weekend.
This. I want to see booths and be spoiled.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
TunaLover said:
Chris Kohler is reporting that Nintendo will have a developer roundtable on tuesday at 6PM, the same event we got Smash Brothers, Zelda announcement, and Pikmin 3.

The "Pikmin conference" as I recall was boring as hell and Pikmin was only brought up in a "yeah yeah sure, you'll get your Pikmins too at some point, now shut up" fashion after Kohler(?) got too pissed off by the inanity of the conference and fired the Pikmin question.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Blueblur1 said:
This. I want to see booths and be spoiled.

Was wondering about this too. Isn't it around this time that we knew about New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

Mikey Jr.

Fourth Storm said:
How would Pachter be right? He was saying it would simply be a WiiHD marginal upgrade(with, I'm assuming, scaling up to HD rather than natively rendering in it) and that it would be out this year! Any idiot could tell you that Nintendo would release another console 5/6 years later and that it would probably support HD resolutions.

Would the average Joe really predict another Wii console already? Also, I dont think he meant it was marginal. I think he meant an upgrade to match 360/ps3, which would not be marginal at all.

Mako_Drug

painful fart said:
I´d take this with a galaxy of salt. Why would they be in a hurry to announce their next console? They are still having the highest sales numbers of the current gen consoles.

The name of the game is growth and declining sales, however high they be is like...the opposite of growth.

Besides, most people arn't going to by more than one Wii console. DS? Sure, one per kid no one cares but only one TV means Nintendo has to sell them something new to hook up to it.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The only way that this rumor has any truth to it is if they're reporting general guidelines as specific stats. It very unlikely that dev kits would already be out, if they are they would definitely not be based on the actual hardware and those who had them wouldn't be talking about it. "On par with the 360" would be vague description to help developers start planning and it shouldn't be taken literally. The name of the new system would not be finalized either; Wii HiFi would be, at best, the system's code name.

I find it for more likely that they'd announce a "Wii HiFi" that simply upscales current games than announce a new system at this E3.

Top Bottom