• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Wii HiFi" Nintendo's next console?

TwIsTeD

JoshuaJSlone said:
You think having 360-ish graphics six years after the 360 is going to do that?

It will if they run on a 10yr cycle for 360 and PS3

Nintendo wins first round with controls and limited graphics... Releases better hardware to compete with the other 2... Then in 2015 a whole new generation appears. :lol

Seriously it's all clear to me know

gogojira

HappyBivouac said:
Well Nintendo is pretty good at making up crappy names for their products and then making people end up liking the names.

The same can be said for other consoles, honestly. I remember hating the name Xbox until I got used to it. Tacking on "360" was lame, too, but once again, it grew on me. PlayStation is pretty awful if you think about it.

It's a trend, consoles have shitty names.

Vinci

Danish
Anerythristic said:
There must be ALOT of Wii owners without an HD capable television/monitor.

My reasoning on this is whenever rumors of a HD Nintendo console surface it gets met with hate and/or disbelief like it goes against Nintendos core values or something.

Oh, I seriously doubt that. The notion, I imagine, that gets a great deal of hate and/or disbelief is that the Wii would not enjoy a normal lifecycle for a console, that Nintendo would launch some HD-only version to correct the earlier console's mistake. I thought that was nonsense as well.

Am I against having Nintendo games in HD? Of course not. But it's not a significant enough issue for me that I want the console to have a shortened lifecycle. That's annoying; it means I have to buy new hardware, sooner than I would have preferred.

I think people need to start understanding that when someone says, "I don't care about graphics," it's because graphics are not one of their primary interests as a gamer. If that's foreign to your way of thinking, that's fine. But I don't see the need to belittle such people or assume they're lying. [No, I'm not assuming you are doing this specifically.]

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You wouldn't "have" to buy it Vinci.

On another note, I like the name Wii HiFi even if it will be a total oxymoron.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
mehdi_san said:
(They don't say it directly in the article, but I am pretty sure the logo is not real. They made it just to go with the article. )
WiiHiFi_MAV_01.jpg

The journalist from gameblog.fr are on a leash recently. After implying that they already saw Metal Gear Solid Rising running at Kojima productions, and leaking Mizuguchi's next game code name (Child of Eden), they are now affirming that Nintendo's next console will be called Wii HiFi. According to what game developers told them, it will be announced at the right end of Nintendo's E3 conference, and it is planned to release around November 2011. Here are the details that have leaked so far:
  • It should be on par with the 360
  • It should not be called Wii 2 but Wii HiFi
  • It will be very online-oriented this time
  • Community aspects will be a big component
  • It should be out around November 2011

They don't know how much Nintendo will be showing at E3 though: just the name? Maybe the design? The controller?

So what do you guys think? Isn't it too early to show it if they plan on releasing in November 2011?

Source: http://www.gameblog.fr/news_15992_e3-10-la-wii-hifi-serait-annoncee-a-l-e3
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. Even if this was true, how would multiple third party developers (as the article implies) know when it's going to be announced? Why would Nintendo announce it well over a year before launch when their track record for the 3DS is clearly different?

Fugu

Vinci said:
Oh, I seriously doubt that. The notion, I imagine, that gets a great deal of hate and/or disbelief is that the Wii would not enjoy a normal lifecycle for a console, that Nintendo would launch some HD-only version to correct the earlier console's mistake. I thought that was nonsense as well.

Am I against having Nintendo games in HD? Of course not. But it's not a significant enough issue for me that I want the console to have a shortened lifecycle. That's annoying; it means I have to buy new hardware, sooner than I would have preferred.

I think people need to start understanding that when someone says, "I don't care about graphics," it's because graphics are not one of their primary interests as a gamer. If that's foreign to your way of thinking, that's fine. But I don't see the need to belittle such people or assume they're lying. [No, I'm not assuming you are doing this specifically.]
The Wii being capable of more than 640x480 isn't an issue exclusively for people who consider graphics one of their primary interests; it's an issue for those who would like the Wii to be remotely current.

This is a bafflingly old issue and Nintendo is breaking a trend that has been present in consoles since there were consoles (new console = better graphics). This isn't at all about graphics whores (because graphics whores are, by definition, PC gamers). Do you think the industry would be in a better place if the Wii were $50 and its games looked like Nintendo 64 games? The Wii has fallen so substantially behind in terms of what it is capable of that it should be high on their list of priorities to catch up (instead of conceding to being a generation behind).

Your tunnel vision is extensive if you seriously believe that the only people who think the Wii could use an upgrade are those who consider graphics a primary interest. This would be like releasing an NES to go up against the Playstation.

MadOdorMachine said:
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. Even if this was true, how would multiple third party developers (as the article implies) know when it's going to be announced? Why would Nintendo announce it well over a year before launch when their track record for the 3DS is clearly different?
Well in 2005 Iwata showed "the revolution" at E3 and it came out in nov of 2006
so it is possible.

Vinci

Danish
Fugu said:
The Wii being capable of more than 640x480 isn't an issue exclusively for people who consider graphics one of their primary interests; it's an issue for those who would like the Wii to be remotely current.

This is a bafflingly old issue and Nintendo is breaking a trend that has been present in consoles since there were consoles (new console = better graphics).

And it was a trend that it appears needed to be broken, going by how developers are doing this generation by and large. You asked what I would prefer? I would prefer less people being out of jobs and more of them making games for us to enjoy.

Diglet

Neo Member
On par with the 360?
Why...
My guess is unless they have another thing like motion, I think they will go allll out.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Diglet said:
On par with the 360?
Why...
My guess is unless they have another thing like motion, I think they will go allll out.
That's because it's not going to happen. It would be a complete waste.

wrowa

I don't really care what it original meaning is and whether or not it fits to a modern video game console, but I actually really like the "Hi-Fi" moniker. The only problem I see with the name - I'm strictly talking about the name here, this rumour (including the name) is most definitely bullshit - is that it doesn't sound good in combination with "Wii". The combination of "Wii" and "Hi-Fi" simply doesn't sound very good.

Okay, actually, after saying Wii Hi-Fi several times in my head, it doesn't sound too bad anymore. Which makes my pont obsolete. That would be a good reason to simply delete this post without posting it, but I'm kinda too lazy to do that now.

Falch

Have Nintendo ever announced two new pieces of hardware at one show? Because I have a hard time believing Nintendo would steal it's own thunder by announcing a new Wii after they've shown the 3DS.

Fugu

Vinci said:
And it was a trend that it appears needed to be broken, going by how developers are doing this generation by and large. You asked what I would prefer? I would prefer less people being out of jobs and more of them making games for us to enjoy.
And how are developers doing this generation (by and large)? What of these developmental trends should convince me that seriously out-of-date hardware is better than less out-of-date hardware?

I'm not sure what to do with your last sentence because it seems to implicate that Nintendo has helped the job market by releasing a woefully out-of-date console. I can't think of a single breakout hit by a small developer specifically on the Wii, much less a game that profited directly from being released on the Little-Engine-That-Couldn't.

Vinci said:

I don't see how the Wii itself has helped much, though, except for Nintendo themselves. Yes, some third parties have seen successful sales on Wii while utilizing less resources. On the other hand, many developers choose to only develop for the HD twins. They honestly think they can compete with the Gears of Wars and Uncharteds. Who greenlights these projects? Are publishers really fanboys at heart? Why weren't the A teams switched over to Wii after 2007 or so? Nobody is forcing these companies to blows millions of dollars on "AAA" titles.

It seems Sega is finally being forced to "get it" with the announcement of their focus on DD. Games like Shadow Complex show that there is a nice happy medium between having a nice next gen experience and not breaking the bank.

dsister44

szhred said:
Not really. But it fine if you think so :D
BTW
I used the words because i had seen them on youtube.com. There was i guy BreakingNYC that sometimes made fun of "trolls". And he said for example, to the trolls: "Ray, thats just stupid and fake and gay" and that was funny.

yeah so equals thee makes fun of trolls, why would you then try and emulate the trolls?

Twig

Banned
szhred said:
Not really. But it fine if you think so :D
BTW
I used the words because i had seen them on youtube.com. There was i guy BreakingNYC that sometimes made fun of "trolls". And he said for example, to the trolls: "Ray, thats just stupid and fake and gay" and that was funny.
So you take life advice from YouTube users.

notsureifserious.jpg

Vinci

Danish
Fugu said:
And how are developers doing this generation (by and large)? What of these developmental trends should convince me that seriously out-of-date hardware is better than less out-of-date hardware?

Less costly, less loftier standards to have to meet, less market pressure to meet them.

I'm not sure what to do with your last sentence because it seems to implicate that Nintendo has helped the job market by releasing a woefully out-of-date console. I can't think of a single breakout hit by a small developer specifically on the Wii, much less a game that profited directly from being released on the Little-Engine-That-Couldn't.

That's not Nintendo's fault, however. Third parties made their own beds.

And let me ask you a question: Why did you feel the need to create this argument in the first place? Because I don't find the Wii's graphics distasteful? You mentioned that PC gamers are graphics whores, and yet... I've been a PC gamer longer than a console gamer. I don't mind the Wii's graphics; I don't mind the DS's. They don't bother me. If they bother you and others, that's too bad. I wish they didn't. If they do, okay. I'm not going to call you a liar or cast aspersions at you as a person, so I don't see why having no issue with something somehow means I have to catch shit from people who do have issues with it.

Yet that seems to happen a lot. I'm not exactly sure why.

EDIT: FWIW, I have a Wii, DS, PC, and PS3. I game on all of them, I enjoy all of them. I hope this isn't a problem.

If this is true then I would imagine that somehow their new system is going to be more about sound than graphics. The Wii remote speaker is really under appreciated when it comes to adding immersive elements to games so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they're going to take it to some whole new level.

Vizion28

Banned
Fugu said:

http://www.pixelgamer.de/images/stories/nintendo3rdpartysales.jpg

If third parties continued to invest in the PS2 and fully supported the Wii instead of the HD twins I seriously doubt there wouldn't have been many companies going under and many layoffs.

I would appreciate it if someone posts the numerous companies that have went under and had layoffs over the past year or two. It's on Neogaf somewhere.

camineet

Banned
I'd settle for a Wii HiFi that's about 4-5x more powerful than 360 (even if not on par with Microsoft & Sony's next gen) that does Nintendo games in 1080p 60FPS :D

itsgreen

camineet said:
I'd settle for a Wii HiFi that's about 4-5x more powerful than 360 (even if not on par with Microsoft & Sony's next gen) that does Nintendo games in 1080p 60FPS :D

Don't worry 2020 is right around the corner...

Probably stating the obvious here:

nintendo3ds.com is already registered to Nintendo, makes sense.

wiihifi.com, wiihi-fi.com, wii-hi-fi.com and just about any other permutation, are not and never have been registered to anybody.

If in four days, Nintendo are about to announce a console, it would have made sense for them to have bought the relevant name domain (even under an alternate name or holding company). But said domains are not owned by anyone.

Its unlikely methinks.

Fugu

Vinci said:
Less costly, less loftier standards to have to meet, less market pressure to meet them.
What does that have to do with the potential of a console? There's a lot of PC games out there that didn't cost a lot to develop (Mount and Blade comes to mind).

That's not Nintendo's fault, however. Third parties made their own beds.
And they made them in Nintendo's house for what reason?

And let me ask you a question: Why did you feel the need to create this argument in the first place?
Because your argument is blatantly wrong. It takes a giant leap in associating all of those who believe a console should have a level of potential that suggests some attention was paid to the current power of hardware with people who consider graphics to be a primary part of their gaming experience.

Because I don't find the Wii's graphics distasteful?
That's nice that you like them. Incidentally, a PS3 is capable of rendering everything that the Wii is; it's also capable of rendering a whole lot more.

You mentioned that PC gamers are graphics whores
No I didn't.
I said that all graphics whores were PC gamers, not the other way around.

and yet... I've been a PC gamer longer than a console gamer. I don't mind the Wii's graphics; I don't mind the DS's. They don't bother me.
We're not talking about that.

If they bother you and others, that's too bad. I wish they didn't. If they do, okay.
Or that.

I'm not going to call you a liar or cast aspersions at you as a person, so I don't see why having no issue with something somehow means I have to catch shit from people who do have issues with it.

Yet that seems to happen a lot. I'm not exactly sure why.
Again, liking the graphics of the Wii isn't what we're discussing here. In fact, what we're discussing is the importance of potential. Saying that consoles can stop getting better because you don't mind how they look right now implicates that no improvement can be drawn from having better hardware. And if you believe that an improvement can be drawn, then I have to ask what you are arguing about because to oppose something that can only improve is stupid.

EDIT: FWIW, I have a Wii, DS, PC, and PS3. I game on all of them, I enjoy all of them. I hope this isn't a problem.
Groovy. You're going to have to tell me why your hardware diversity is relevant.

spwolf

Y2Kev said:
Hi-Fi is obviously a name targeted at the "expanded audience," but I find it strange they just wouldn't go with HD. Everyone knows what HD is by now.

i cant believe it will be announced for late 2011 though... that just cant be right. Not to mention online centric, thats just not happening that fast...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
which1spink said:
Also the logo sucks. Can't believe anyone here believes this rumor.
Well, I don't believe it either, but OP states clearly that the website probably made the logo up.

zigg

Mama Robotnik said:
wiihifi.com, wiihi-fi.com, wii-hi-fi.com and just about any other permutation, are not and never have been registered to anybody.

If in four days, Nintendo are about to announce a console, it would have made sense for them to have bought the relevant name domain (even under an alternate name or holding company). But said domains are not owned by anyone.

IIRC, they didn't buy wii.com before announcing it. They ended up negotiating with the then-owners of the domain after the fact.

Of course, an unregistered domain's a bit more of a question mark... eh... maybe I don't have much of a point after all. :lol

How would a French journalist know anything about what Nintendo's doing?
I doubt NCL has even told NoA or NoA about the next console.

JaseMath

I understand wanting to forego tech to protect cost, but on par with the 360 is falling too far behind IMO. smh if true.

Stumpokapow said:
erm

japanese doesn't have a syllable for "fi".

the closest way to write hi fi in kana is "hi fuai"
Except, you know, Final Fantasy etc. It's not unknown.

Not saying this is true though.

Also

szhred said:
SORRY

Just meant it was a bad name.

"Guys, guys, you don't understand. I meant 'gay' as in 'bad' or 'undesirable.'"

Top Bottom