• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s Time for Hillary Clinton to Bow Out of Public Life, Along with All Other Women

• Thread starter Deleted member 80556
  • Start date
You already know the answer to that question. It's truly fascinating; on the GOP side, you didn't see anything like this for Bush I, Dole, McCain, or Romney, either.
now I wish Bob Dole had the sort of fan base, can you imagine the takes? "Bob Dole is an idea, a world-historical hero, light itself" is an opinion piece I didn't know I needed until now.

Neoweee

Obama himself likely would have won a third term. Unfortunately, the knee-jerk post-FDR amendment exists that prevented us from maintaining a popular young president.

I don't know if I agree with this. Obama's popularity went up near the end of his term as everything disliked about his presidency was blamed on his first-term SoS, and the Conservative media barraged Clinton for O's final two years instead of him.

Planx

Except for winning by almost 3 million votes, of course.

She lost due to a quirk of our idiotic electoral system.

Yes the electoral college is such a strange, unknown quirk that you really have to be a huge political wonk to be even aware of, let alone understand it and not, you know, the way Presidential elections have worked for 200+ years. It would've been a miracle if any of her staff just coincidentally understood such an arcane system

And just to think that Sanders lost to her. We are doing this again, right? I mean I know it is fucking nearly August of 2017, but lets go in.

I'm not sure what the primary's campaign has to do with the terribly run general election campaign

Satire is supposed to be funny, right? If so, this article is one of the worst failures of 2017 already and we're only halfway through.

I continue to be baffled by the constant defending of Hillary after she blew the most winnable election in American history. Did people ever defend Al Gore and John Kerry like this?

You mean Al Gore who became a rallying point for some folk in terms of climate change and John Kerry who stayed so far away from politics after his defeat that he took over for Clinton as Secretary of State?

kirblar

Because maybe Obama didnt do much for them. Sure the economy improved and more people have health care but that's mostly true for bigger cities. All those manufacturing jobs just kept leaving under Obama and he didnt do much to prevent it. Hillary looked at his approval numbers and presented herself as more of the same, but those counties likely felt abandoned by Obama and punished her for it. Just my guess.

Obama had 8 years to help out those dying towns and aside from the auto bailout early on in his first term, i dont remember what he did to retain those votes. Hell he pretty much sat by and watched Republicans gut collective bargaining in most midwestern states. Both Hillary and Obama should've gotten together after 2012 and introduced plans to save Manufacturing jobs and other factories to make sure those votes remained a lock. You pretty much have to buy those votes. Dems better start creating legislations to bring jobs back to those counties or it will be a repeat of 2016.
He had 2. This is one of the problems w/ the American electorate- the love of divided government and modern polarization means that nothing proactive happens once it gets locked in place-
DEda4_4W0AEeVbn.jpg:large
This is why if we do get a D/D/D setup in 2020, the fillibuster needs to be nuked and we need to go HAM (while also not doing anything stupid, because the GOP won't help us fix it.)

You already know the answer to that question. It's truly fascinating; on the GOP side, you didn't see anything like this for Bush I, Dole, McCain, or Romney, either.

The GOP seems like a pretty good party to be a loser in if you think about it. If you lose, you just go back to doing whatever you were doing and have a nice post-candidate life. Nobody harasses you or forms a cult to worship you either. Even Bush I didn't really get a lot of flak for his defeat although part of that was Perot showing up and stealing the show.

I don't know, when did people stop trying to take giant shits on Al Gore and John Kerry?

Most people liked and still like Al Gore, to the point where Ralph Nader's role as a "spoiler" more or less destroyed his career as a public figure and his reputation. People still hate Nader to this day for helping elect W.

John Kerry was just bland and boring, he was the Bob Dole of Democratic Senators turned Presidential candidates. The only notable thing about Kerry now is Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, no one even thinks about Kerry anymore beyond that.

For sure the Trump voters are to blame. It's also reasonable to expect that the candidate who lost would take some type of responsibility other than a throwaway line in one interview. It frustrates folks who see this campaign completely passing the buck. It's wise to learn from campaign mistakes. It's also frustrating that some folks who supported this campaign brush off any criticism as sexism, which this piece is a stark reminder.

I have criticized the way the Clinton campaign was run completely. What this article is addressing is not the rational criticism that most people out towards the campaign but the near histrionic cries that she basically go jump off a cliff

These threads never go anywhere.

At any rate Hillary's political career is done regardless.

It's pretty ridiculous to worry about HRC running again, I agree.

It's not so ridiculous to worry that the investment many of the most powerful people in the Democratic Party (not that Kibblesmith is one of them himself, but this is definitely symptomatic of such thinking) have in HRC personally, and to a lesser degree Obama, is keeping them from fully acknowledging the party's failings.

I mean, why do you think that there's still no official autopsy of the 2016 election, or any sign that one is coming anytime soon?

I guess satire doesn't have to be funny. I think it's clear the author was trying his best though; with the punchline being the concluding paragraph.

The joke really is that it's a character who clearly has personal frustrations with and feels threatened by women. That's why he wants to extend it to his wife and her friend with a weird laugh. That's why he has a hate-on for Clinton but can't see the same flaws in Bernie. It's a subtler form or satire than The Onion or Clickhole, so people might not be used to it. I personally don't think any of Borowitz's satire has ever been that good, but I think a lot of people in this thread are being willfully obtuse because they're threatened by the point it's making about insecure males.

kirblar

I don't know if I agree with this. Obama's popularity went up near the end of his term as everything disliked about his presidency was blamed on his first-term SoS, and the Conservative media barraged Clinton for O's final two years instead of him.
If you run Clinton's flawed campaign with a candidate who's not Hillary, they probably win. And Obama would have run a better campaign.

The margins of her loss were so tiny as to make literally almost any change in what occurred tip it to a win for the Dems.

shamanick

You mean Al Gore who became a rallying point for some folk in terms of climate change and John Kerry who stayed so far away from politics after his defeat that he took over for Clinton as Secretary of State?

I'm not sure if you were aware of politics during the time, but Gore really did completely disappear from public life for a long time. An Inconvenient Truth was 2006, a full six years after the primary, and he wasn't really around except as a punchline until then (I invented the Internet etc.)

Doesn't really have a bearing on this situation IMO, just an interesting aside

I think a lot of people in this thread are being willfully obtuse because they're threatened by the point it's making about insecure males.

lol

Do people truly like Hillary though? Do they REALLY believe she was the best candidate? If so, why?

Why do I have to constantly defend my vote? Why do the 'true progressives' always come into these threads and shit on Clinton? Why is it that nearly nine months after the election we still have a weekly if not daily thread about how shit Clinton is and how she needs to bow out of public life? Why didn't we do that to McCain, Kerry, Gore, Bush, Romney, etc.

Odd, huh.

If you run Clinton's flawed campaign with a candidate who's not Hillary, they probably win. And Obama would have run a better campaign.

The margins of her loss were so tiny as to make literally almost any change in what occurred tip it to a win for the Dems.

Thats one of the extremely fascinating things about her campaign. Probably het biggest flaw was literally the fact she was Hillary Clinton

The sexism angle gets thrown about because literally all of the flaws that get put on her apply to almost many of her male counterparts including Obama and yet they don't receive half the criticism. It's amazing that some so called liberals miss that

It's a lost cause.

Maybe history will give Hillary's life and carreer the proper context for future generations to see how awful she's been treated, how many lies have been spread, and how much of a double standard there was regarding anything about her.

But she won't get to see that redemption herself I fear. Even now that she has basically not said or done anything for over half a year, she somehow still pisses everybody off, and specific media channels are still rambling and raving about her every goddamn day.

It's weird how she creates anger from everyone. Even a good part of a liberal forum like Neogaf start frothing from the mouth when she's mentioned. I just look at her life, carreer, accomplishments, ideals and goals, then look at people's opinion of her, and it just doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm not sure if you were aware of politics during the time, but Gore really did completely disappear from public life for a long time. An Inconvenient Truth was 2006, a full six years after the primary, and he wasn't really around except as a punchline until then (I invented the Internet etc.)

Doesn't really have a bearing on this situation IMO, just an interesting aside

He still gave speeches and shit... No one was telling him to shut up and go away

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore#Post-Vice_Presidency

Sinfamy

I know it's satire and all.
But it depresses me how many people still support and still float the idea of another Clinton run.
It's time to stop, leave your bubble, no one in America likes her, from progressives to conservatives, for a myriad of reasons.
People see her as the Democratic Mitt Romney.

Toxi

Banned
But it depresses me how many people still support and want another run from Clinton.
It's time to stop.
Who? I have literally never seen a person who wants another run from Clinton. Not in the news, not online, not in-person.

This article is making fun of the people who seem to want her shipped to a cave in Antarctica because she lost.

I just look at her life, carreer, accomplishments, ideals and goals, then look at people's opinion of her, and it just doesn't make any sense at all.

It makes perfect sense, shes a woman, she has had a lifetime of vitriol spewed about her family for the better part of thirty years, she lost to Trump, she prevented a unicorn from becoming POTUS (a unicorn who couldn't get a majority of his oh, nm not his party to support him), etc. etc.

But it depresses me how many people still support and want another run from Clinton.
It's time to stop.

You see that here? You see that where exactly, other than in your head.

FiggyCal

Banned
It's time to stop.

I don't think anyone wants her to run again. Especially after she lost to Trump. The "yaaass queen"ing stopped in November.

Always the victim. It's nauseating at this point. And I don't support the idea of her being banished or never speaking again. But does it make sense for a loser to move out spotlight so others take the helm in 4 years? Of course.

Technically I wouldn't say she's in the spotlight.

Do people truly like Hillary though? Do they REALLY believe she was the best candidate? If so, why?

I'd urge all those "yas queen"ers to go read some of the stories former Secret Service agents wrote (one literally wrote an entire book) about working with the Clintons.

The TLDR of them is: Bill is genuinely a nice guy, but sleezy. Hillary, on the other hand, is a 2-faced raging sociopath.

She's definitely not Trump, which is fantastic, but she has a long history of being a horrible person in private before putting on her fake smile for the cameras and constantly shifting opinions to win over a crowd.

I know this story is satire...but she really does need to go away, for the good of the democratic party. Her family has enough money to live quietly away from the spotlight. Let some fresh faces take over.

It has nothing to do with her being a woman, people are just tired of the Clintons.

Stop watching Fox News.

The way a lot of GAFers aren't self-aware enough to see how their own sexism colors their view of Hillary isn't funny. It's sad.

IrishNinja

Satire is supposed to be funny, right? If so, this article is one of the worst failures of 2017 already and we're only halfway through.

I continue to be baffled by the constant defending of Hillary after she blew the most winnable election in American history. Did people ever defend Al Gore and John Kerry like this?

no, because people by & large weren't still attacking them 6+ months after the fact...wonder why that is

It's a lost cause.

Maybe history will give Hillary's life and carreer the proper context for future generations to see how awful she's been treated, how many lies have been spread, and how much of a double standard there was regarding anything about her.

But she won't get to see that redemption herself I fear. Even now that she has basically not said or done anything for over half a year, she somehow still pisses everybody off, and specific media channels are still rambling and raving about her every goddamn day.

It's weird how she creates anger from everyone. Even a good part of a liberal forum like Neogaf start frothing from the mouth when she's mentioned. I just look at her life, carreer, accomplishments, ideals and goals, then look at people's opinion of her, and it just doesn't make any sense at all.

GAF isn't progressive. It's textbook brogressive. Sexism is baked in.

Nafai1123

Banned
The 30 year anti-Clinton coalition the GOP formed was more successful than they ever could've imagined....and now they all work for Trump. Good luck future Dem candidates. You'll be fighting a uphill battle.

Always the victim. It's nauseating at this point. And I don't support the idea of her being banished or never speaking again. But does it make sense for a loser to move out spotlight so others take the helm in 4 years? Of course.

Technically I wouldn't say she's in the spotlight.

She like you know has moved out of the spotlight but people treat her say responding to a tweet sent to her by the GOP directly as taking the spotlight.

That's kind of the whole thing. She's been really quiet but when she whispers folks act like she's yelling.

kirblar

Half the people I've come across at my university.
"She's still the best chance we've got, she won the popular vote, just campaign more in the states she lost".
What University are you at where people are so ignorant of American presidential politics?

She like you know has but people treat her say responding to a tweet sent to her by the GOP directly as taking the spotlight.

That's kind of the whole thing. She's been really quiet but when she whispers folks act like she's yelling.

Have any other losing candidates refused to take any actual responsibility for their defeat and blamed it entirely on factors outside their control?

I think Hillary being out of the forefront of politics is a good thing. I think Sanders should not run again. I'm extremely against political dynasties, and as such, don't want to see Chelsea in national politics. Fuck me right?

Toxi

Banned
"She's still the best chance we've got, she won the popular vote, just campaign more in the states she lost".
Your university sounds bizarre and outside any normal realm of conversation. That or you're confusing arguments for why Hillary seemed like a good choice in 2016 as arguments for why Hillary is a good choice in 2020z

rjinaz

Have any other losing candidates refused to take any actual responsibility for their defeat and blamed it entirely on factors outside their control?

That didn't happen. She did mention it and she's right but she still took the blame. We had a thread about it and the same bad arguments were made then.

Do you find it odd to live in an alternate reality?

That didn't happen. She did mention it and she's right but she still took the blame. We had a thread about it and the same bad arguments were made then.

Yep. It is so damned odd, people want her to disappear from the earth but at the same time to do what continually take blame for the election? She said it was ultimately her personal responsibility but there were additional factors...I'm not sure what is wrong with that statement.

Go away, go far far away. But wait, keep popping up to flail yourself.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Your University sounds out of touch...is it an Art Institute?

Nafai1123

Banned

Has Hillary?

“I take absolute personal responsibility,” Clinton said of her November defeat during a sit-down with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour at an event titled Women for Women International in New York. “I was the candidate, I was the person who was on the ballot. I am very aware of the challenges, the problems, the shortfalls that we had.”

Azzanadra

Is Clinton even in the spotlight though? She has bowed out surely enough, which is probably a good thing all things considered. Ultimately she was a symptom of the system, and we are to see more of people like here if people are seriously touting Cory Brooker as a future candidate.

Is Clinton even in the spotlight though? She has bowed out surely enough, which is probably a good thing all things considered. Ultimately she was a symptom of the system, and we are to see more of people like here if people are seriously touting Cory Brooker as a future candidate.

She isn't and yet any time she speaks at all (including literally just replying to a tweet directed at her unsolicited by the GOP) people freak out and tell her to go away, to shut up, etc...

That's almost literally the point this satire is making.

Top Bottom