• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It begins? Sony patents that break-apart controller

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
hirokazu said:
I'll keep my traditional PlayStation controllers thanks. I hope that shit never sees the light of day.
I agree. Waggle still hasn't made any genre better than with existing controller types.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
stuburns said:
We can't see well in the dark, Mr PSeye can.
The PSeye could head track in the dark, cameras are far more sensitive to dynamic ranges than the human eye is.

Besides that, the spherical bit on the controller has an array of leds behind it to emit patterns of light or make it glow or whatever, so it would still work in low or no light conditions.

But yeah, if you use a projector with your equipment at the back of the room...that'll suck for a wired eyetoy at least!

Threi

notag
Heres an idea Sony:

1. Take the boomerang
2. Put a pointer in it
3. Keep Sixaxis and DS3 tech in it

What the Wiimote brings to the table that actually benefits the industry is the pointer. The pointer is the next analog stick, which was the next d-pad. The pointer is the true innovation and everything else is just gravy (gimmicky if you don't like them). The pointer is what Sony and MS should be trying to emulate.

Waggle alone doesn't equate to casual appeal. Making a controller that "looks kind of like the Wiimote" isn't going to get you anywhere if you don't have any software that you are willing to push it (more than your major franchises) with.

The wiimote reactions were slightly different... most people were "How the hell can I play my normal games with that?". This time it's "What batteries does it take, and does it need lube"?

Durante

Threi said:
What the Wiimote brings to the table that actually benefits the industry is the pointer. The pointer is the next analog stick, which was the next d-pad. The pointer is the true innovation and everything else is just gravy (gimmicky if you don't like them). The pointer is what Sony and MS should be trying to emulate.
This thing could easily emulate pointer functionality. In fact, split apart, you'd have 2 pointers. I think adding a pointer without splitting the controller doesn't make any ergonomic sense.

Psychotext said:
The wiimote reactions were slightly different... most people were "How the hell can I play my normal games with that?". This time it's "What batteries does it take, and does it need lube"?
The Wiimote wasn't unveiled via patent application illustrations. Seriously, I don't see how anyone could think that the final thing (if there is one) would look like this.

Threi said:
Heres an idea Sony:

1. Take the boomerang
2. Put a pointer in it

Waggle alone doesn't equate to casual appeal. Making a controller that "looks kind of like the Wiimote" isn't going to get you anywhere if you don't have any software that you are willing to push it (more than your major franchises) with.

I agree with the pointer but I wouldn't really discount motion sensing out yet until we see how the motion+ will influence gaming.

herod

28copdv.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Durante said:
This thing could easily emulate pointer functionality. In fact, split apart, you'd have 2 pointers. I think adding a pointer without splitting the controller doesn't make any ergonomic sense.

I may not be understanding it right, but if it does what it says on the tin, and accurately, it'd be pointer++ .. in that more than knowing where on the screen you were pointing at, it'd know where in absolute space you were pointing - and also, where it's pointing in relation to the player's body etc. Which is a whole other kettle of fish.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
save it for ps4
if Sony are going to do something like this, pack it with EVERY console, so best to wait till next gen.

Nintendo have shown the way on this - if EVERYONE has one, then it's more likely to be accepted, just abandon the PS2 retrofit/ps3 idea, it's too late.

Threi said:
Heres an idea Sony:

1. Take the boomerang
2. Put a pointer in it

Do agree, but imo the wii motioners (excite truck, Kororinpa, etc) have been better than the ones focusing on pointing.

Moot point I suppose, because it's not really (completely) the technology's fault.

Shadow Moses said:
I blame Nintendo.
Pretty much. Hopefully the PS4 won't be a redesigned PS3 as well. I can already see the "lost money" and "bad economy" cop outs.

But the reactions especially on the first page reminded me a lot of how people reacted towards the Wii at first.

Azure J

gofreak said:
The pics will explain better:

16la5qg.jpg

Late, but will someone please Photoshop in Mario holding a Wiimote & Samba holding SEGA Maracas, and make the both of them have the awesome smiley face. :lol

StuBurns

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Pretty much. Hopefully the PS4 won't be a redesigned PS3 as well. I can already see the "lost money" and "bad economy" cop outs.
You're going to be disappointed. I'd put money on it being relatively low spec. Maybe 2GB RAM if we're lucky, 8x BluRay, new iteration of Cell and a better GPU.

I bet the Xbox 3 isn't far from it either. There is no point making huge tech leaps for the next generation, the industry doesn't support the budgets needed to max those machines out, and the Wii has proven the vast majority of people don't care anyway.

Threi

notag
Dark Octave said:

But the reactions especially on the first page reminded me a lot of how people reacted towards the Wii at first.
On that topic the bigger issue than pushing tech is making sure the console doesn't launch at $600 goddamn dollars. If they can continue to push tech and keep the launch price down then that's great, but they are doing nobody (including themselves) any favours by putting a premium on the price just to please a minority market.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
save it for ps4
if Sony are going to do something like this, pack it with EVERY console, so best to wait till next gen.

Nintendo have shown the way on this - if EVERYONE has one, then it's more likely to be accepted, just abandon the PS2 retrofit/ps3 idea, it's too late.
Maybe they will, but why does this *have to* be an all or nothing thing? What's wrong with taking it in stages? Release for the PS3 if they have the wherewithal to do so, begin to incorporate support in new games to go along with it, patch some existing games to support it (as the Sony internal studios have shown the willingness to do with new firmware features, for example), then ramp up to packing it in with every unit for the PS4.

Azure J

stuburns said:
You're going to be disappointed. I'd put money on it being relatively low spec. Maybe 2GB RAM if we're lucky, 8x BluRay, new iteration of Cell and a better GPU.

I bet the Xbox 3 isn't far from it either. There is no point making huge tech leaps for the next generation, the industry doesn't support the budgets needed to max those machines out, and the Wii has proven the vast majority of people don't care anyway.

Honestly, I can't understand why we'd need more than 2x the current power of the HD duo next gen. That's still a lot of breathing room for games to look glorious and cost effective enough to make developers and consumers jump on board.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kaching said:
Maybe they will, but why does this *have to* be an all or nothing thing? What's wrong with taking it in stages? Release for the PS3 if they have the wherewithal to do so, begin to incorporate support in new games to go along with it, patch some existing games to support it (as the Sony internal studios have shown the willingness to do with new firmware features, for example), then ramp up to packing it in with every unit for the PS4.

Potentially...if they released it as a peripheral, it could blunt the impact of a as-standard improved PS4 iteration.

Imagine if the Wii controller had been released initially as a Gamecube peripheral with limited support and such..would Wii have gone on to cause as much buzz? I'm guessing probably not, the impact of it would have been diluted by it's soft launch on GC.

StuBurns

Banned
AzureJericho said:
Honestly, I can't understand why we'd need more than 2x the current power of the HD duo next gen. That's still a lot of breathing room for games to look glorious and cost effective enough to make developers and consumers jump on board.
I agree, from the looks of KZ2, people are only beginning to tap these machines. We're in no rush for next gen, and certainly no rush for a massive tech jump that's going to triple the already absurd development costs.

Xenon

EmCeeGramr said:
Except when it hits something.

Not true. The person you hit, who would be probably more annoyed than injured would drop it on you after they kick your ass.

Ploid 3.0

I remember a long time ago back in PS2 era that they had a eyetoy demo with pouring water into cups using real cups. This looks like a product of that research. I've been waiting for this to be done. Remember the minority report claim? Every PS3 was supposed to have a eyetoy built in though iirc.

Acosta

Agree with DCharlie, they should wait for PS4 if they want to get serious about it. The technology looks interesting, but I'm not a big fan of movement based controls, I would prefer a very precise 3D mouse supported by a second wireless device with a stick, something that could rival the keyboard + mouse combo, that is still the best control system available.

Ploid 3.0

Acosta said:
Agree with DCharlie, they should wait for PS4 if they want to get serious about it. The technology looks interesting, but I'm not a big fan of movement based controls, I would prefer a very precise 3D mouse supported by a second wireless device with a stick, something that could rival the keyboard + mouse combo, that is still the best control system available.

But they waited for PS3 for it already. Actually they did make attempts at it on PS2 although that demo wasn't made into a product (were the swords and such put out on eyetoy?).

raYne

I read the thread title and thought someone bumped an old topic, swearing they did this already. Then I saw the pics.

Wow.

Top Bottom