• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Has Been Almost 2 Years Without a FPS Halo Reveal (New Record). What Is 343 up To?

After all the ads and hype building up to halo 5 and what happened when people realised half of the marketing was a lie and fake hype, they would be best sitting on halo X until the game is nearly done and not waste money on massive real acted marketing this time around.

After all the ads and hype building up to halo 5 and what happened when people realised half of the marketing was a lie and fake hype, they would be best sitting on halo X until the game is nearly done and not waste money on massive real acted marketing this time around.

I honestly loved all of the marketing around Halo 5! The "Hunt the Truth" podcast in particular was pure excellence. I'd want them to try that stuff again, but just realize that the content needs to skew closer to what's in the actual game.

I honestly loved all of the marketing around Halo 5! The "Hunt the Truth" podcast in particular was pure excellence. I'd want them to try that stuff again, but just realize that the content needs to skew closer to what's in the actual game.

yeah, that's super important.

Omni

Still sad that Halo 3 Anniversary didn't happen. I'd honestly have bought an X for that

As for mainline Halo games, I'm not a fan of where 343i has taken the universe. A Halo 6 is no-longer a must-buy for me, so I really hope they're taking their time and creating something special. I want to love Halo again, but after 4 and 5 I'm losing interest. Fast.

ChazGW7

The entire spirit of the first game revolved around being stranded on an alien structure, spiritedly forming an effective guerilla resistance and unlocking the secrets of the Halo ring.

So tell me, exactly what about that would not suit open-world gameplay with survival elements?

Well leaving out the fact that retreading the opening theme of Halo 1 would be pretty damn lazy, the main problem with your idea are the core features.

Halo does not need:
Survival elements - what, Chief is gonna get hungry and thirsty now? Too cold at night? Craft a bow and arrow?
Base building and unit management w/ unit mission system - At this point it just feels like you want an FPS Halo Wars or something.

It makes no sense for a mainline Halo title. No one has ever asked for this or criticized the previous games for not having these elements. Sorry, but you'd ruin the franchise with that idea. Fans just want a cinematic adventure that moves forward constantly and has a fantastic story to be told, essentially, more of Halo 1-4.

Blam

Still sad that Halo 3 Anniversary didn't happen. I'd honestly have bought an X for that

As for mainline Halo games, I'm not a fan of where 343i has taken the universe. A Halo 6 is no-longer a must-buy for me, so I really hope they're taking their time and creating something special. I want to love Halo again, but after 4 and 5 I'm losing interest. Fast.

Well no the BC team said they weren't done with Halo 3 so who know what they mean by that.

Zeta Oni

Let them take as much time as possible, Halo 5 set the foundation for something great and I really hope this is the title where 343i comes into their own so to speak. Not that 5 wasn't a step in that direction but I still feel there was a lot of clashing when it came to its development.

yeah just... no. Halo does not need an open world survival theme. Like how would anyone think thats the right direction for the franchise? Jesus christ.

Actually, I have to admit a Halo game set on an actual Halo Ring that's fully open actually sounds like it could amazing.

(none of the survival elements or extra stuff, just the actual idea for an open world)

Of course, I doubt that's what Halo 6 will be like, but I do think its an interesting idea.

Cpt Lmao

Well leaving out the fact that retreading the opening theme of Halo 1 would be pretty damn lazy, the main problem with your idea are the core features.

Halo 4 literally did just that.

Halo does not need:
Survival elements - what, Chief is gonna get hungry and thirsty now? Too cold at night? Craft a bow and arrow?
Base building and unit management w/ unit mission system - At this point it just feels like you want an FPS Halo Wars or something.

YES!

That would be so sick, everyone would have so much fun and a really great time. Imagine doing all of that on co-op while exploring the Halo ring and unearthing all of the new mysteries? WOW!

Sorry, but you'd ruin the franchise with that idea. Fans just want a cinematic adventure that moves forward constantly and has a fantastic story to be told, essentially, more of Halo 1-4.

There hasn't been a Halo game with a good story for nigh on a decade. The age of FPS campaigns has long past. The series needs to do something different, whether in the vain of Destiny, PUBG, Halo Wars, who knows. But if it doesn't tread new ground in Halo 6, and continues to follow the same tired formula, then the franchise is finished.

After the back to back disappointments of Halo 4, master chief collection and Halo 5, hardly anyone is willing to them a chance anymore. If Halo 6 is another disappointment, which seems very likely based on 343s track record, Halo and 343 are probably done.

It’s a shame since Halo 2 made me buy an Xbox and Halo 3 made me buy and Xbox 360 and both were worth it for those games alone. I’ve gone from one of the biggest Halo fans to someone who couldn’t care less about Halo 6, and won’t pick it up unless there’s positive word of mouth that it’s much better than Halo 5.

I'm sure we don't speak for everyone, but yeah, that's my feeling as well. I played a lot of Halo 5 and really tried to love it, but the maps were just so bad.

Trup1aya

I haven't played Halo since CE on PC, but I was under the impression that there had been a couple of bad ones, plus there was some AC- level fatigue. Hopefully they are putting the time into making it shine, plus I'd assume they would want to release a new one to show off the power of the OneX.

Also, +1 for PC, but not on Windows Store (or fix Windows Store).

Fatigue really ain't the issue. mainline halo comes out every 3 years.

H4 was pretty bad. Mcc was broken. And h5 was had a bad campaign and and a devisive MP suite with missing staple content.

Finaj

I'm curious. Which path to additional content/DLC would you guys rather have? Map packs or microtransactions? Because it seems like to me a lot of you don't like either option.

KageMaru

For me it was a step down. The loot boxes which had an actual effect on that one big multiplayer mode killed it for me. It became a matter of which team had players willing to use up their rare items rather than which was the better team.

I understand that loot boxes is a controversial topic but I thought they were handled well in Halo. The whole point of the items is to be used in that mode, so I don't really understand the issue there. I haven't spent a penny on the MP and have always had the appropriate option to handle any situation. I didn't even play the CMP that much before trading in my Xbox and I had plenty of cards.

The loot boxes allows free DLC, keeping every player consistent with the map selection. The game also only keeps this card system to a few game modes, while not effecting other modes like slayer and BTB. IMO it does more good than bad.

Sephzilla

I'm honestly glad Halo has gotten a little bit of a break. The franchise needs it after how the last few games have been received in comparison to the Bungie era titles.

The franchise needs to go back to its roots. Get back to some really solid multiplayer map design, get away from some of this lootbox shit, and get away from being a wannabe sci-fi COD. Master Chief Collection, for all of its flaws, served one good purpose which was to show how multiplayer map design has really gone to shit in the newer games.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Let’s quench any suggestions of an open world Halo, right now. Not everything needs to be a bloody open world game.

That’s said, and I’ve said this before, I can see going back to an ODST format working well for a main line Halo. Have an open hub that’s set in the valley on a Halo ring with randomly generated enemy encounters - maybe even make it a shared world a la Destiny.

But once you find and enter each campaign mission, it’s straight back to business as usual.

Marjorine

I did not enjoy Halo 5 whatsoever. I thought 4 was OK. But 5 was the first Halo game that I just couldn't get into.

So I am hoping they are spending time and putting all their talents towards making a great Halo game that makes me excited about the franchise again.

Finaj

Have the people who did the story and art in Halo Wars 2 work on Halo 6 please.

I think Sparth is the art director for the game. He didn't become art director for 343 until January 2014, so it's hard to say what impact he had on the art style of Halo 5.

I'm pretty optimistic about my own experience with the next mainline Halo. The lack of split-screen with 5 greatly impacted how much I played that game - it felt very lonely after having played through all of TMCC campaigns locally with my SO just months before Halo 5's release and dumping a ridiculous amount of hours into the arena just didn't happen for the same reason (we just kept playing multi on TMCC). But I loved the content in Halo 5 and how it played, so I feel 343 is on the right path. The promise of split-screen going forward is all I really needed.

What I hope 343 is doing is expanding on the concept for something like Mission 4 Meridian Station. I was impressed by a guns down, town-like experience in a Halo campaign, but upon replays it felt pretty empty. Mission 9 Alliance had some fun banter, but this mission type should be more rich in interactivity.

And I need more Exuberant Witness, and cute stuff like that.

I'm also hoping that it's graphically amazing. I really don't know what to expect from future Microsoft first party in regards to top-of-the-line graphics now, balancing between Xbox One/S, Xbox One X and PC. I valued the 60fps in Halo 5, but I was hoping to be wowed by the graphics. I'll be playing the next game on an Xbox One X most likely and I hope to be blown away.

Sydle

I'm all for them taking whatever time they need. I won't be surprised if Halo 6 slips into 2019 because they have a very tall order to fill. In addition to getting the game looking and running in top shape on Xbox One, Xbox One X, and PC they need to launch with a lot of MP modes, including at least one new mode (battle royale would work). They have a lot to prove with the campaign as well. It had some series highs for me, but it also had some series lows and ended up a mixed bag.

Hopefully they stick to their word about only refining movement, because I think H5 still feels great.

Let’s quench any suggestions of an open world Halo, right now. Not everything needs to be a bloody open world game.

That’s said, and I’ve said this before, I can see going back to an ODST format working well for a main line Halo. Have an open hub that’s set in the valley on a Halo ring with randomly generated enemy encounters - maybe even make it a shared world a la Destiny.

But once you find and enter each campaign mission, it’s straight back to business as usual.

It's really interesting to play Destiny 2, and see just how much it feels like Halo. I'd love some kind of spin-off that was basically "Halo: Destiny 2" and had random Spartans exploring Halo rings. I'd still want a "traditional" Halo campaign outside of that with Master Chief though. Maybe they could be two separate games?

I'd love a return to the idea of having "Halo" games outside of the core numbered titles. Halo Wars 2 being a thing is a great step in the right direction, but I want more damnit! Let me experience that universe firsthand instead of relegating so much expanded universe stuff to books and comics.

m23

I'm all for them taking whatever time they need. I won't be surprised if Halo 6 slips into 2019 because they have a very tall order to fill. In addition to getting the game looking and running in top shape on Xbox One, Xbox One X, and PC they need to launch with a lot of MP modes, including at least one new mode (battle royale would work). They have a lot to prove with the campaign as well.

Hopefully they stick to their word about only refining movement, because I think H5 still feels great.

I agree with the movement, they should really use Halo 5 as a basis in that respect.

MouldyK

I'm curious. Which path to additional content/DLC would you guys rather have? Map packs or microtransactions? Because it seems like to me a lot of you don't like either option.

ReqZone like H5.

Means free maps again. I never had an issue with that system.

Skeeter49

It's obvious it'll be an E3 reveal, out holiday 2018.

They need to generate massive hype, and Bethesda has shown this is how you generate hype.

ChazGW7

Actually, I have to admit a Halo game set on an actual Halo Ring that's fully open actually sounds like it could amazing.

(none of the survival elements or extra stuff, just the actual idea for an open world)

Of course, I doubt that's what Halo 6 will be like, but I do think its an interesting idea.

I would be apprehensive. Open world means you need to fill that world with plenty things to do or else you risk it being life-less/boring. This usually means side missions and im not sure how that would feel in a Halo world.

I feel I would prefer the more tight knitted Halo story with a progression that keeps you moving forward and engaged, rather than the back and forth-ness open world games tend to have.

I do wish they would bring back the more open environments of Halo 3 though. Semi-open world would be interesting.

Halo 4 literally did just that.

True, but the execution is different. In Halo 4, you're alone the whole intro, in Halo 1 you have the UNSC by your side helping the whole time. Plus Halo Ring =/ Forerunner Planet.

YES!

That would be so sick, everyone would have so much fun and a really great time. Imagine doing all of that on co-op while exploring the Halo ring and unearthing all of the new mysteries? WOW!

I like how optimistic you are about it. I wouldn't say no to a spin off game of that type, just not a mainline Halo, and not Master Chief. Fireteam Osiris perhaps.

There hasn't been a Halo game with a good story for nigh on a decade. The age of FPS campaigns has long past. The series needs to do something different, whether in the vain of Destiny, PUBG, Halo Wars, who knows. But if it doesn't tread new ground in Halo 6, and continues to follow the same tired formula, then the franchise is finished.

Nothing but complete and utter nonsense here. FPS campaigns are back in a big way, ask Titanfall 2, Doom, Wolfenstein, Metro... No major change is needed and the franchise will not be finished.

Plus Halo 4 was a good story.

soldat7

Honestly, and it pains me to say this, but I think we've seen the best that Halo has to offer.

Halo 1-3 + ODST + Reach were just spectacular. I don't think Halo will reach those heights again.

What made Halo great were the mysteries, the grandeur, the level design, the fusion of real-world scenery mixed with ancient, unknown alien constructs. The gameplay, that 30-seconds of fun, was perfection. And the multiplayer....don't get me started on how brilliant the multiplayer was (even Bungie can't match their former selves with Destiny).

The Halos of the modern age feel stripped of mystery, the grandeur replaced with bombastic set pieces, the level designs rote, and the multiplayer adequate but missing the simple skill-based appeal of past offerings.

I don't know, I think there are times when gaming's greats need to sail to the great beyond. Maybe it's that time for Halo. I'd love for a Halo 6 to win me back, but I'm not counting on it.

Was really disappointed with Halo 5’s campaign after being extra hype in the lore thread and listening to HTT, non of these elements made it into the game. It was a complete mess imo, and still think Halo 4 was better in regards to the story. The MP for 5 is solid, and I don’t care that they’re loot boxes when maps and stuff were made free instead of splitting up the base.

Take your time 343, and get back to basics. I wouldn’t even mind a ODST type game to bridge us over into 6 down the line. Like a Halo 5: Blue Team story line, centered around missions with members of Blue team. That would be awesome.

Sydle

It's really interesting to play Destiny 2, and see just how much it feels like Halo. I'd love some kind of spin-off that was basically "Halo: Destiny 2" and had random Spartans exploring Halo rings. I'd still want a "traditional" Halo campaign outside of that with Master Chief though. Maybe they could be two separate games?

I'd love a return to the idea of having "Halo" games outside of the core numbered titles. Halo Wars 2 being a thing is a great step in the right direction, but I want more damnit! Let me experience that universe firsthand instead of relegating so much expanded universe stuff to books and comics.

I think a follow up to ODST could be amazing as a shared, open world Halo.

The age of FPS campaigns has long past.

Yet we still have our Dooms and Wolfensteins, and our condemnation for games like Battlefront 2015, CoD, and Battlefront for havinh poor campaigns.

Your suggestions are asinine. Go pollute another more appropriate franchise with these mechanics.

Halo doesnt need a paradigm shift. It needs a shit ton of polish, a diverse multiplayer suite, and a strong social platform.

Gator86

Control + F: aiming

They need the aiming in H6 to not be shit. It ruined H5 for me and even after what seems like half a dozen patches it still feels weird and bad. Wanted to play way more H5 online, but just couldn't move past the aiming.

Cpt Lmao

Yet we still have our Dooms and Wolfensteins, and our condemnation for games like Battlefront 2015, CoD, and Battlefront for havinh poor campaigns.

Your suggestions are asinine. Go pollute another more appropriate franchise with these mechanics.

Halo doesnt need a paradigm shift. It needs a shit ton of polish, a diverse multiplayer suite, and a strong social platform.

???

Halo would literally have gone this route with Bungie if they had stayed working on the franchise. Games like Doom and Wolfenstein are never going to be cutting-edge FPS' in the same vain as Halo 3.

thegriz_

Neo Member
I have a feeling microsoft is planning something something for next year, I mean Phil did so much work getting the Xbox One S and Xbox One X into production after the previous original failure. If they can't sell the software it would have been all in vain.

Honestly if Xbox One can get 50 million sold by end of this Gen I wouldn't say its a failure, it made them money, it just came in second place by a long shot. It would still rank up there as one of the most sold consoles, just not a blockbuster like the PS2 PS4 Wii or 360.But did we say Sony was the only legitmate comapny after PS2 outsold everything else like 6 to 1? No, if anything people would have left the market after PS2 completely dominated everything in gaming.

I think Halo 6 and whatever Microsoft has to push hardware comes next e3. Really neither Sony nor Micrsosoft had mind blowing software reveals this year. Right not Microsoft is pushing all resources into getting devs to make the best looking versions of their games on X. So who knows.

Sony wins this gen, doesn't mean Microsoft can't make money too though. Spencer has Xbox Live Gold subs up and windows 10/xbox software sales up since he took helm. Ultimately that is what is key for microsoft to take in money.

jviggy43

Take your time. I'm not really into the 343 halo games but for those that are it's best if they make a good campaign this time and really put effort into launching a game that doesn't feel gutted at launch with future updates.

Nowise10

At this point I think its good Halo is getting a "break". They really need to do good and nail it with Halo 6 or else I think the franchise is over.

Which I know people have been saying that for the past 7 years.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
To be fair, Halo 5 was much improved over Halo 4. The biggest issue they need to overcome is the story telling IMO.
Yeah, I think Halo 5 nailed the multiplayer but now they just need to figure out the singleplayer 'cus 5's was a step down from 4's.

Whoever told them to have the same boss battle over and over and to barely have levels where you play as MC never needs to have input on the direction of the game again.

I really hope 343 understands what makes a Halo campaign great, and that we see this understanding manifest into a truly great Halo 6 campaign and story.

I thought Halo 4 had a great campaign, but not a great "Halo campaign." And Halo 5, while having great gameplay, was easily the worst campaign in the series.

The two biggest items I want addressed in Halo 6 are: the Sandbox and the Story. 343 has yet to deliver on these, and it's crucial they do so in the next installment. Watching some Halo 3 streams during the 10th anniversary celebration really highlighted how great the sandbox in past Halo games are.

With regard to multiplayer, I loved the gameplay of Halo 5, I just didn't care for many of the maps.

Trup1aya

What's the state of Halo 5 online? Are people still buying microtransactions? As long as that makes money they're incentivized to keep that train rolling instead of investing a lot into a single player campaign.

They would make more money in mts if campaign helped them push more units.

The issue with the campaign isn't investment. Its bad writing and direction.

Bsigg12

I expect an announcement at E3 and launch next year.

It'll be the last Halo before the next Xbox family of devices.

Wedzi

Banned
I'm excited to see what they're going to do but this will be the first Halo I'm just not 100% excited for. Hoping they really change these up at least in the art and tone department. I really miss the Halo CE/3 vibe.

watership

I love Halo but the amount of shit 343 gets is insane. Halo 3 wasnt all that great either imho. I actually enjoyed Halo 4 too.

Have not played 5.

Why do you think Bungie wanted to stop making Halo games? Halo 3 feels like a bomb they set off and handed to Microsoft. Now you have so many groups to please before you can even release a Halo game. Campaign/lore/story people, arena only people, competitive players, Forgers, being the loudest, with then with casual multiplayer and campaign people thrown in for the rest. Any one of those groups needs to be satisfied, or the game is a failure. I wouldn't work on this project. You can't take the series in any direction without it being attacked, and you can't just please the hardcore because then the overall project suffers. I feel the only way Halo can please everyone would be to please NO ONE. Make a new game, ignore the fans.

You'll piss off the silo'd purists, and the interests groups, but you may just make new fans. Trying to please everyone all the time never works. 343i has done some great things. 60fps was the way to go, and I think Halo 5's basic game mechanics are phenomenal. Yet you still have people who say No spirit and battle rifles only. Ignore those people. They also need to make a campaign that has a story that everyone can enjoy, and invest more time and money and artists into full rendered maps. The forge maps for Big Team Battle after launch were terrible.

Hardvlade

343 gets a lot of shit, but I think they’ve done some good as well.

Despite the lackluster Haño 5 campaign, the multiplayer was superb, I hope that they actually create fully modeled maps instead of using forge to do so. Also if they do a Battle Royale mode, I hope they do it with ODSTs, what better way to drop into a huge battlefield and survive, If they bring back the REQs, please let it be like it is right now, no dupes and plenty of ways to earn points.

Top Bottom