• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Has Been Almost 2 Years Without a FPS Halo Reveal (New Record). What Is 343 up To?

Muffdraul

Hopefully the 343 design guys have locked themselves in a room and refused to come out until they figure out what exactly made the Halo 1, 3 and Reach campaigns so fucking good, and how to replicate those facets.

Hopefully the 343 design guys have locked themselves in a room and refused to come out until they figure out what exactly made the Halo 1, 3 and Reach campaigns so fucking good, and how to replicate those facets.

Nah, too busy figuring out how to cut content and hide things behind REQ packs.

People complain about Destiny 2's content, but Halo 5 was missing standard modes at launch...

Nephtes

Oooo!
Oooooooooo!
I know what it is!

No Warden Eternal fights...
No Prometheans...
No... Whatever that was they did to Cortana in Halo 5.

LordOfChaos

GMiIdg3.gif

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I still haven’t even touched my copy of Halo 5. The lack of splitcreen is so disappointing. Me and my brother have played through all the hHalo games together. Glad Halo 6 will have it back.

So in terms of halo multiplayer maps, I was think 343 could just stick to a mixture of halo 2 and halo 5 maps. Some maps are built for pros and then other maps like, Zanzibar from halo 2 with vehicles and neat little environments. I’d like to see the mixture in the regular slayer and team objective playlists and then stick the pro maps in an arena or pro playlist.

Also why do people keep bringing up the precursors? Are they dead or what?

Blueblur1

The first thing they should do is jettison all of the awful lore they've created like the new Spartans [4s, 5s, or whatever fucking number they stopped at]. Followed by ditching all of the awful new designs they made for characters, armor, etc. Followed by hiring a competent writer and campaign lead.

And for multiplayer they should hire decent map designs because Halo 5's maps are ass. They should also make all of the MP content instead of farming out BTB maps to fans using Forge (dat free labor doe). And finally, they should bring back all of the game types from Halo Reach.

Stop fucking around, 343. Stop releasing Halo games with an incomplete MP suite. Your games are inferior to Bungie's in every single way. Those games are fucking old already and your own products are extremely inferior. Come the fuck on.

Edit: And stop trying to shove new characters down our throats. They all suck.

I just re-read my post. It was pretty rude because I was in a bad mood. My bad.

343's campaigns aren't awful but they do miss the mark in terms of story and direction. Maybe they try to do too much and as the pull back and cut stuff (features, dialogue, levels, etc.) the campaign suffers. Multiplayer improved in H5 but there's *too much* of a focus on making all maps and modes being hyper competitive. And of course H5 was missing a lot of MP gametypes at launch and still missing today. (There's some smaller decisions that I didn't like such as shoving Oddball & Assault under the same general ball gametype.)

Honestly, I probably won't buy Halo 6 unless 343 pivots and delivers a Bungie-style and Bungie-quality Halo game.

Hopefully, they're reinventing the focus of the campaign that they've had in the last two games. More sandbox and tactical value to the core combat, less storytime setpieces.

BizzyBum

I really thought we were at least going to get a small teaser at E3 this year.

I still think we'll see an announcement next E3, MP beta during the summer, Sep/Oct 2018 release.

Theorry

Fine by me. Let them take their time. But.

Keep Halo 5 MP. Just fine tune it. Its already great and the best Halo MP since Halo 2
Let me play with MC most of the time.
Some sandbox SP where you can choose your own mission
Give my starting weapons more ammo. I dont want to take enemy weapons after 3 min because i ran out of ammo. :p

Vire

They were going to release it in 2018 but some level designer got fired for talking shit about 343 on message boards and then it got pushed it back another year.

Welfare

Multiplayer doesn't need a year in advance for the beta as Halo 6 will be very similar to 5. We'll get a server test beta and maybe Warzone 2.0 with that.

Campaign is probably going to be the biggest evolution Halo has seen as I don't think it'll be the same linear mission to mission we've had since the beginning. They'll probably expand on the hub levels they had in Halo 5 and go in the direction Destiny is in. Hub levels with multiple things to do, while still have unique levels outside of these hubs for massive missions.

Halo 6 needs to be "New Halo" in presentation when revealed. I trust 343 to keep the gameplay excellent but how the campaign is laid out needs an overhaul. A kind of mini reboot to make Halo more appealing to the open world MMO-lite fans.

Multiplayer just needs a massive content launch. Halo 5 was extremely bare bones.

Also, this is just me, but add more things to earn through the REQ system. Bring in emotes, start of and after match animations, more unique armor, more skins for weapons, etc..

Kalentan

They were going to release it in 2018 but some level designer got fired for talking shit about 343 on message boards and then it got pushed it back another year.

... what? I think your mistaking the offer that MultiLockon got from 343i but got taken away due to his comments.

Vire

Vire is making humors with you.
😘

You know, realistically what I would like to see is something similar to Destiny. Not at all in the RPG sense, but the idea of multiple planets or worlds to explore. Maybe even playable space flight sections to get in between the destinations. A seemless world as it were.

#imaginethemostexpensivegamepossible

Maybe they could write a story that isn't boring cliche bullshit and ruin one of the best characters in the game this time around? Maybe focus on the "fun" aspect of MP and not try and sell MLG bros on your game first by having them put in shitloads of feedback for what ends up being a near dead MP competitive scene?

In the end 343 we know you can't engage us to the level Bungie did with story but if you want a long term and thriving MP scene? Make.... it.... FUN!

Halo 4 was a turd. Halo 5 seems to have gotten MP right but with yet another disastrous campaign. 343 just don't understand Halo. That was obvious when they ended Halo 4 with a QTE. They need to lose Prometheans altogether. They fucking suck. No one cares about them, no one enjoys fighting them, and Halo 4 & 5 could honestly be completely written off and no one would give a shit, so just make Halo 6 a complete reboot, go back to the covenant, lose Spartan Locke and that that crap that yet again, no one gives a shit about, and just give us a Master Chief focused campaign (or a spin off like we got in Noble team for Reach), and Covenant enemies only.
No. Not the covenant again. Just because the Prometheans suck doesn't mean we should give up on doing a new enemies altogether.

Z O N E

Honestly, they need to start from scratch for Halo 6.

Make sure heavy aim is not there from day 1 and that the servers do not cause blank shots and the more items you get from req packs do not cause the heavy aim too.

Forge is amazing, no game on console let's you do what Forge can on an FPS game like Halo.

Theatre is horrible. It looks like every hit/snipe and beat down misses completely yet it was a kill/hit/snipe. They need to make it better. When they host the Pro League games, who wants to see someone shooting 2 meters from a spartan but kill them?

The maps are garbage. Mention Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach and I will tell you all the memorable maps it has. Halo 4 and 5 just do not have that.

Firefight is great, especially considering not everyone wants to play against players so this is a nice addition, no complaints from me.

LESS PLAYLISTS. The amount of playlists just splits the community too much. They need a competitive playlist, Team Slayer, Doubles, Free For Fall and Snipers for the ranked.

In Social they can have a few permanent ones and have one slot for a rotating playlist. No need to have around 7 playlists for social and ranked. Just too many.

Armour customization... For the love of god, they need to stop giving me the exact the same armour but with a different colour pattern. I will take 70 unique armour pieces over 140 with many duplicates.

Campaign was terrible compared to previous titles. They had me fighting the same Warden 100 times that I actually got fed up before completing the game... Halo 4, despite its issues, had a really good campaign.

There's probably more to say but that's just about a quick write up of a few things.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I love Halo but the amount of shit 343 gets is insane. Halo 3 wasnt all that great either imho. I actually enjoyed Halo 4 too.

Have not played 5.
I remember halo 3 getting some backlash years later but then that stopped and people are back to loving it again, I also remember halo reach getting a lot of praise and now I'm hearing most people dislike it than anything, I also remember ODST getting shitted on and that's turned around too.

hollomat

Banned

They didn’t realize until after the reception to Halo 5 that people would rather play as master chief than some random character who’s never been introduced before. So I doubt they’ll be able to figure out what made those games great.

Next game will be probably be alternating protagonists again, but this time Locke and the Arbiter.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Making Halo 6 obv.

Warzone Firefight gives me hope for the next campaign. They've been able to push the amount of enemies on screen and mess around with encounter designs. The Golden Fleet boss is something the campaign couldve really used. Brutes coming back will also be cool. Halo 5's campaign isnt near as bad as some here believe, but it was sorely lacking in giant sandboxes with epic moments, like The Covenant from Halo 3.

Keep MP the same, add BR and Payload games. Maybe make Warzone a bit more dynamic with objectives. Drop Warzone Assault or heavily alter it. Waste of resources as is.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Keep Breakout plz. Love how tense it is.

I didnt like it at launch, but love the current variant. It feels so good.

232 replies, 232 entirely unique and divergent opinions on What Absolutely Must Be Done to Save Halo.

This is what it comes down to. Someone a few posts above clearly thinks MC is core to a Halo campaign. I couldnt care less who Im playing as.

I still think halo 6 is coming out in 2018. Would be epic if we got our first announcement and teaser for the game at e3 and then they say it's releasing in November. More games should do this honestly. But if they are really doing a beta then thats not happening lol.

Jaraghan

Nah, too busy figuring out how to cut content and hide things behind REQ packs.

People complain about Destiny 2's content, but Halo 5 was missing standard modes at launch...
Yup. H5 launch MP was a fucking travesty. Good thing the gameplay is top notch, because only 3 game modes with no BTB and Forge was stupid.

Hopefully they're taking their time with this one, Halo 5 overall was definitely a step up, but they've still got some issues to address with their game design. Multiplayer Arena maps were pretty mediocre, Warzone became unbalanced after a year because superior REQs dominate, the Campaign took a very disappointing direction story and character wise, level design had better arenas but still very weak vehicle segments, and Prometheans (especially Warden Eternal) are still not a compelling enemy gameplay and story wise.
Fixing MCC
A man can dream.

SomTervo

WOW: Open world Halo game with survival elements! The Master Chief and some UNSC forces are marooned on a micro Halo ring, you've gotta bandy about and do some shit.

At first you're stranded alone on the ring, you realise that there are day/night cycles. You find some cool technology that allows you to set up a forerunner structure in any location you like to act as a motherbase. You set a signal flare and nearby pelicans fly in to join you.

Forerunner sentinels come out at night and are super aggressive. The Chief and allies have got to take shelter in motherbase or other smaller forerunner structures when they do. Bases can be upgraded and managed via the assistance of a helpful artificial intelligence. Make sure your base is well-protected or risk losing everything!

Wow!

Go about the Halo ring in your Warthog and rescue stragglers, bring them back to motherbase and then assign squads of marines to missions that they carry out in real time, State of Decay style. Assignments include:

Reconnaissance: Get marines to explore areas of interest so you can decide where you (the Chief) are most needed. Marines can also demolish wreckage.
Resource collection: Use pelicans to pickup supply caches which you can use to upgrade your base. Warthogs also include tow cables, which can be used for marines to rapel down steep inclines and find trickily-placed supplies.
Assault: Assign marines to attack key Covenant strongholds. Covenant act in real-time with XCOM2-style dark events. Send your marines to capture and protect strategic points. Covenant figureheads are out and about the Halo ring in real time, and you can send your forces to capture them.

Wow!

Some stragglers include UNSC engineers and scientists, who can be used for R&D to allow you to better equip your base and personnel.

There's some real shit going down on this Halo ring. You and your forces need to discover the secrets of the micro-ring before the Covenant do. The flood are also out there, lurking. Hidden away.

Reality: They'll go back to the same old tired, boring Campaign + Online + Novelty mode structure, which will fail, and the series will be in some serious shit.

Lol this was exactly my thinking but you went pretty ham and all the "Wow!"s make it seem like you're being sarcastic

Except for "survival elements". What do you have in mind? I dont see how survival fits into Halo.

Well leaving out the fact that retreading the opening theme of Halo 1 would be pretty damn lazy, the main problem with your idea are the core features.

Halo does not need:
Survival elements - what, Chief is gonna get hungry and thirsty now? Too cold at night? Craft a bow and arrow?
Base building and unit management w/ unit mission system - At this point it just feels like you want an FPS Halo Wars or something.

It makes no sense for a mainline Halo title. No one has ever asked for this or criticized the previous games for not having these elements. Sorry, but you'd ruin the franchise with that idea. Fans just want a cinematic adventure that moves forward constantly and has a fantastic story to be told, essentially, more of Halo 1-4.

Lol at "fantastic story".

Halo 1 captured imaginations with its open approach to combat and traversal. A "storm in a teacup" open world strategic sandbox would be a perfect fit for that.

Uncharted are also cinematic narrative driven games and even Naughty Dog realised you can open things up more and more while sustaining that.

That said, i don't know what Cpt Lmao means by "survival elements" and i don't really see how that fits
Just give me a systemic open world Halo game set on an actual working Halo.

Like Prey sans the imsim/RPG stuff. Exactly.

Yet we still have our Dooms and Wolfensteins, and our condemnation for games like Battlefront 2015, CoD, and Battlefront for havinh poor campaigns.

Your suggestions are asinine. Go pollute another more appropriate franchise with these mechanics.

Halo doesnt need a paradigm shift. It needs a shit ton of polish, a diverse multiplayer suite, and a strong social platform.

Nah. A lot of people (probably not the majority) feel that the series never fulfilled CE's potential and an open world action Halo would work very well. Literally just take Silent Cartographer, up the scale 10-15 times, then smash in the Flood plot line. It could be a masterpiece.

CaptainClaw

They didn’t realize until after the reception to Halo 5 that people would rather play as master chief than some random character who’s never been introduced before. So I doubt they’ll be able to figure out what made those games great.

Next game will be probably be alternating protagonists again, but this time Locke and the Arbiter.

The Arbiter was a "random character" but as time went people started to like him and now he's one of the most loved characters in the game...people just have a hard time with getting accustomed to new things.

I mean why can't they keep the focus still on Chief but have lets say Arbiter/Locke/Blue Team or whoever still playable and in the loop. Gears does it with Marcus/Dom/Cole and Baird as well as so many other games

Venom.

Halo 6 reveal at E3 2018.
Beta at Christmas.
Halo 6 release September 2019.

But it would be a lovely surprise if 343i surprise us with a Spring 2018 reveal for a release in the Autumn.

Top Bottom