• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Took a pic from the book

You should crop that image because of spoilers.

Here:

ySEJaBW.jpg

Miles X

Box office trackers are extremely bullish on Warner Bros./New Line's ”It," saying the horror film will bring good news to a movie industry in great need following a miserable August.

Last week, the first round of tracking had the remake of Stephen King's seminal horror tale making $50 million in its opening weekend. Now, those numbers have floated up to $60 million, a figure that would give ”It" the biggest theatrical debut in horror movie history as well as the biggest opening for any film released in September.

Source: The Wrap

Still here for $70m debut!

Floated up to 60m.

That's an amazing pun, and I'm glad that writer made it.

It also sounds like this film will be a fantastic adaptation, which brings me joy.

Are they gonna have Bowers be super racist like his dad?

His dad was a fucking shithead.

Also that poster is amazing and works on multiple levels, it looks like a drain but it also looks like the Moon. Spoilers:
Several points in the book Pennywise appears as the Moon, speaking to henry and other characters.

I also love the way the puddle and drain meet to form a sort of "face".

Fury451

Banned
Floated up to 60m.

That's an amazing pun, and I'm glad that writer made it.

It also sounds like this film will be a fantastic adaptation, which brings me joy.

Are they gonna have Bowers be super racist like his dad?

His dad was a fucking shithead.

Also that poster is amazing and works on multiple levels, it looks like a drain but it also looks like the Moon. Spoilers:
Several points in the book Pennywise appears as the Moon, speaking to henry and other characters.

I also love the way the puddle and drain meet to form a sort of "face".

It also has an
spider/arachnid
form to it, which is massive foreshadowing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is there a YT link to the 4 minute clip (the one before Annabelle) people mention on this page?

Thanks.

Horror films have been making bank for a few years now (it helps that, in general, they've ranged from "okay" to "great" in quality) so I'm not surprised IT seems to be garnering a lot of attention.

It's surprising because it's also Rated R, and it seems that R movies tend to not have huge debuts(Deadpool for example, being one of the few exemptions), so it'd be great if IT just destroys the box office.

GhaleonEB

It's surprising because it's also Rated R, and it seems that R movies tend to not have huge debuts(Deadpool for example, being one of the few exemptions), so it'd be great if IT just destroys the box office.

The popularity of the source material is at play here, I'd say. The number of people familiar with the source material and interested because this looks to be faithful (in part because of that R rating) is outweighing anyone turned off by it.

That and I think there's a thirst out there for good horror films right now.

The popularity of the source material is at play here, I'd say. The number of people familiar with the source material and interested because this looks to be faithful (in part because of that R rating) is outweighing anyone turned off by it.

Agreed~!

Miles X

Anyone know the average multiplier for films in general and horror films?

What would a $60m opening for IT look like lifetime?

Cranster

Banned

It also has the legacy from the 1990 mini-series in addition to the indirect publicity of the creepy clown sightings in the past couple of years.

Buckle

Curry was fun but he was also very theatrical. Like Freddy Krueger, I think he was more entertaining in general in a "whats he's going to do next?" kind of way rather than genuinely frightening to me.

Looking forward to the new take on Pennywise, hopefully abit more monstrous while still having that oddball clown charm. Some have mentioned he doesn't look normal enough to blend in completely but I actually like that about this version. You can tell something about him is....not quite right.

That bit during You'll Float Too will probably be an audience screaming and wincing moment as it plays in the theater. If it is the moment that I am thinking it will be.

This is the official poster

DH8fS3bV0AAQ1o4.jpg:large

Cool, though while I LOVE the retro-painted movie posters you see a lot of modern horror movies getting, the one thing I HATE about them is that they include faux fold lines. Movie posters were only folded if they came in a magazine or you didn't keep them in a poster tube and you removed them from your wall, folded them to put them away and put them back up later. Movie posters, as seen originally in the theaters, were fresh and smooth and didn't have fold creases.

norm9

just the art renaissance related to IT has been worth it.

Cool, though while I LOVE the retro-painted movie posters you see a lot of modern horror movies getting, the one thing I HATE about them is that they include faux fold lines. Movie posters were only folded if they came in a magazine or you didn't keep them in a poster tube and you removed them from your wall, folded them to put them away and put them back up later. Movie posters, as seen originally in the theaters, were fresh and smooth and didn't have fold creases.

All of this. The size is different too. You would never mistake a theater poster for a bonus magazine poster. #blamerobertrodriguez

I missed out the jump scare conversation, but figured I'd chime in anyway. To the naysayers, the jump scare is a tool that's been around 80ish years and has been put to great use since. A problem arises though when it's not executed properly.

There have been numerous bad horror flicks that rely on them way too much. The effect being that the audience becomes desensitized and the movie loses all tension because of it. While that plays a big part, another aspect that I feel doesn't get mentioned enough is sound design. Too many movies are cranking the volume when they need to dial it back.

Take Halloween H20 for example. It's overloaded with these "boo" moments that play with overly loud music constantly. It doesn't matter if characters are bumping into one another or are actually being surprised by the killer. The audio cues are so similar that it puts the scares on a level playing field and makes the scenes that are supposed to hit with a bang hit with a whimper instead.

Now compare that with the original Halloween. It works more like a symphony with peaks and valleys. It's still absolutely filled with jump scares, but the majority play with a creepy sound cue, a sting, or even silence. There are a few moments where a deep booming drone sound plays but the difference is that those moments are built up and earned. We hear it in the first murder but then it doesn't play again until past the halfway mark of its runtime.

That's part of what made that movie so shit your pants frightening for audiences back during its release. It seems that movie studios have become only interested in those big moments so their use escalated to the point of losing their effectiveness. A horror movie lives or dies by its sound design. Of course there are numerous components that go into a great jump scare and this is only one aspect where filmmakers are dropping the ball.

GhaleonEB

I love how Pennywise's noggin is doing triple duty as his elongated head, a balloon, and the entrance to the sewer. Like, that kind of layering shouldn't work but I'll be damned if they didn't pull it off.

I love how Pennywise's noggin is doing triple duty as his elongated head, a balloon, and the entrance to the sewer. Like, that kind of layering shouldn't work but I'll be damned if they didn't pull it off.

It also has a bit of a spider going on, if you look at it's 'legs' in the bottom.

Could this end up being the faithful adaptation the book deserves? :O I don'T get the feeling of a simple cash-in. There are some details that would've been ignored in a lesser production.

I'm beginning to believe. Please don't disappoint.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
2 weeks to go! I am so ready to see this. Beyond happy to see nothing but good impressions so far from the screenings. The reddit thread had a lot of good non-spoilerish info

Jarmel

Banned
This is the official poster

Is it? Last I read on Reddit was that it was part of an art exhibit for the movie by a number of artists. It was drawn by Oliver Barrett.
https://www.reddit.com/r/stephenking/comments/6vmk0r/new_poster_for_it/dm28yzw/ said:
[–]oliverbarrett 2 points 1 day ago
I am, thank you! As far as I know, the artwork is only meant to be displayed at Gallery1988 in LA's IT experience event from 8/31-9/3. There aren't plans for print runs, but maybe that'll change after this thing made it all the way to the top of the front page yesterday.

Ferny

I am SO damn excited for this movie. IT is such a favorite of mine. The book, the original movie. The moment I saw the first trailer, I was in. Everything I've seen since then has just cemented that for me.

I missed out the jump scare conversation, but figured I'd chime in anyway. To the naysayers, the jump scare is a tool that's been around 80ish years and has been put to great use since. A problem arises though when it's not executed properly.

There have been numerous bad horror flicks that rely on them way too much. The effect being that the audience becomes desensitized and the movie loses all tension because of it. While that plays a big part, another aspect that I feel doesn't get mentioned enough is sound design. Too many movies are cranking the volume when they need to dial it back.

Take Halloween H20 for example. It's overloaded with these "boo" moments that play with overly loud music constantly. It doesn't matter if characters are bumping into one another or are actually being surprised by the killer. The audio cues are so similar that it puts the scares on a level playing field and makes the scenes that are supposed to hit with a bang hit with a whimper instead.

Now compare that with the original Halloween. It works more like a symphony with peaks and valleys. It's still absolutely filled with jump scares, but the majority play with a creepy sound cue, a sting, or even silence. There are a few moments where a deep booming drone sound plays but the difference is that those moments are built up and earned. We hear it in the first murder but then it doesn't play again until past the halfway mark of its runtime.

That's part of what made that movie so shit your pants frightening for audiences back during its release. It seems that movie studios have become only interested in those big moments so their use escalated to the point of losing their effectiveness. A horror movie lives or dies by its sound design. Of course there are numerous components that go into a great jump scare and this is only one aspect where filmmakers are dropping the ball.

Exactly. So many folks think of "jump scare" as an insta-criticism in the same way they think of "exposition" and like exposition, which is something that is absolutely necessary in damn-near every movie, there's a great way and a poor way to implement a jump scare.

Bad jump scares are exactly what people think of when they're talking about shitty jump scares. A random "BOO!" out of nowhere. Shock value, nothing more.

But, a well constructed jump scare can be positively terrifying. The best kind of jump scares usually come after a sequence has been slowly and consistently ratcheting up the tension, little by little, for some time. The ominous music kicks in. The character enters a dark room. Little details begin to seem out of place. Did something just move in the background? Oh god, this is getting to be too mu- *BOOM* OH MY GOD WTF. A good jump scare doesn't come out of nowhere, it serves as a horrifying release for built-up tension.

Top Bottom