• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

Jarmel

Banned

Timu

So the second link has Bill stuttering a bit. It's nowhere near as obnoxious as the audio book so that's good. Maybe it's just the way the scenes are cut but Bill doesn't really seem that much of a leader and it's more of an ensemble cast.
Yeah, that might be end, though it could be how they cut these scenes as well.

GhaleonEB

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/it-teaser-poster.jpg?w=450

This is the poster I've seen in my theater a couple times. It was released a long while back.

I am glad to see that early buzz is really good for IT. Sounds like we are getting the whole story -- the clown, sure, but the heart of the film, the kids relationships, some of the funny stuff; IT isn't pure horror, it's an adventure-mystery with a really spooky bad guy. All the early impressions back up that the filmmakers have the same idea a lot of us do about how to make a special adaptation of this.

I thought that was the teaser poster, not the final. (No cast/crew credits on it.)

I like it, just thought it was odd that a few pages ago that one poster went up and we all thought it was the final because we never got a final.

Early reactions sound great, same for the new Chucky movie too, looks like we will have two great horror movies to watch in September and October.

That was a pretty sweet walk. But...I need to stop watching clips and trailers, because "you'll float too" is really starting to annoy me, like hearing an overplayed single on the radio.

oatmeal

Banned
You should crop that image because of spoilers.

Here:

ySEJaBW.jpg

Heh. Thanks.

I figured it was in the first 20 pages, didn't think much of it.

That was a pretty sweet walk. But...I need to stop watching clips and trailers, because "you'll float too" is really starting to annoy me, like hearing an overplayed single on the radio.

I gotta ask, I've never read the book, and it's been years since I've seen the tv version: is "You'll float too" repeated as often in either as it is in the new one? I remember the initial usage, but the repetitive nature of it doesn't really work for me at this point. Maybe I'm just missing something.

I gotta ask, I've never read the book, and it's been years since I've seen the tv version: is "You'll float too" repeated as often in either as it is in the new one? I remember the initial usage, but the repetitive nature of it doesn't really work for me at this point. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Yes for the book. It's a recurring phrase. There are many paragraph-long rants that have Pennywise saying it multiple times.

Not sure about the mini series

Yes for the book. It's a recurring phrase. There are many paragraph-long rants that have Pennywise saying it multiple times.

Okay, maybe it'll work better in context. The scenes of Georgie screaming it over and over in the basement just seem lame to me, but that's from a heavily edited trailer.

The first movie really scarred my wife for life when she saw it as a child. I look at her last week and said "We all float down here", and she couldn't remember what it was from (blocked it out I bet). I told her it was something Pennywise says, and she was so scared and triggered I wasn't allowed to leave the room she was in for two hours so she could calm down. -_-

When we first started dating, my roommate showed me one of those scary videos where the sound plays low so you want to turn the speakers up, and then a bunch of screams with scary pictures happen. Except the one he showed me was a bunch of undead-ish clowns. When the scare moment happened, she screamed for several minutes straight and just...lost touch with reality. My roommate and I kept shouting her name and shaking her, and she just kept screaming. It took a while before she realized we were there with her.

When the random clown sightings happened a year ago (two?), she kept a list of states it happened in and said we couldn't ever go to any of them. Good times. I'm looking forward to this movie coming out. I'm a fan of the actor.

GhaleonEB

The first movie really scarred my wife for life when she saw it as a child. I look at her last week and said "We all float down here", and she couldn't remember what it was from (blocked it out I bet). I told her it was something Pennywise says, and she was so scared and triggered I wasn't allowed to leave the room she was in for two hours so she could calm down. -_-

When we first started dating, my roommate showed me one of those scary videos where the sound plays low so you want to turn the speakers up, and then a bunch of screams with scary pictures happen. Except the one he showed me was a bunch of undead-ish clowns. When the scare moment happened, she screamed for several minutes straight and just...lost touch with reality. My roommate and I kept shouting her name and shaking her, and she just kept screaming. It took a while before she realized we were there with her.

When the random clown sightings happened a year ago (two?), she kept a list of states it happened in and said we couldn't ever go to any of them. Good times. I'm looking forward to this movie coming out. I'm a fan of the actor.
So you're taking her on a date to see IT opening night, right?

Your wife is practically living IT in real life (blocking out her experiences with Pennywise, etc.)

My mom is like that with The Exorcist. You can just mention the name of the movie and she'll walk out of the room. She would have been 10 when the movie came out, and she absolutely refuses to ever watch it again, even today over near 50 years later

Korigama

Having recently seen the mini-series, it was only said a few times from what I remembered, all within the first hour.

So you're taking her on a date to see IT opening night, right?
I wish! She refuses to ever see it. Hell, she won't even watch Poltergeist because of the clown doll scene. We also have a 2-year old, and no babysitters. I'll have to wait for it to come to Netflix to appreciate it.

Actually, strange fact: my wife has always been a bit of a scaredy cat. Until she got pregnant. While she was pregnant, she craved horror films. We marathoned them every weekend because it was all she wanted to do. Then she gave birth and went back to being a scaredy-cat. I assume she was vacuuming up courage from those movies to pass them on to our son.

Your wife is practically living IT in real life (blocking out her experiences with Pennywise, etc.)

My mom is like that with The Exorcist. You can just mention the name of the movie and she'll walk out of the room. She would have been 10 when the movie came out, and she absolutely refuses to ever watch it again, even today over near 50 years later
The Exorcist was so well done. I saw it when I was in college and it re-released in theaters, and the scene where she crawls down the stairs upside down made me afraid of going to sleep tonight. I honestly have not been seeing anything scary in these IT trailers, but I'm also not even slightly scared of clowns. I saw The Babadook last month and it scared me so much I had to take a 5-minute break during one of the film's scenes.

glow

Banned
The first movie really scarred my wife for life when she saw it as a child. I look at her last week and said "We all float down here"

It's so funny, I brought up 'It' the other day with a couple friends who do not like or watch horror movies and as soon as I brought it up one of said "WE ALL FLOAT DOWN HERE" with a sly smile. I couldn't believe 27 years later people would remember it. The TV movie was such a phenomena for people my age (mid-late 30s), everyone watched it and remembers it, and it sparked plenty of fears of clowns. I was pretty unphased by It at the time but I'm pretty excited about this movie coming out. Keeping my expectations low so I won't be let down though. Even if it's bad I think it'll be better than most of the garbage big budget mainstream horror movies of the last few years.

Timu

JoduanER2

Soo excited for this movie. Everything looks spot on, the design of IT, the kid cast, the trailers. The original was part of my childhood and i have big hopes for this one.

Wheres the OT?

hydruxo

Soo excited for this movie. Everything looks spot on, the design of IT, the kid cast, the trailers. The original was part of my childhood and i have big hopes for this one.

Wheres the OT?

still a week and a half away from the movie coming out so a little early to have an OT

GhaleonEB

Wheres the OT?

We'll have a review thread once the review embargo is up, but not earlier.

Any idea when the review embargo is up?

No official word, but usually the latest we'd have to wait on reviews for a movie like this would be next Monday. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go up Friday. Warner Bros. likes to move back embargoes when they think the reviews are positive (as was the case with Wonder Woman)

Timu

No official word, but usually the latest we'd have to wait on reviews for a movie like this would be next Monday. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go up Friday. Warner Bros. likes to move back embargoes when they think the reviews are positive (as was the case with Wonder Woman)
I believe Mad Max Fury Road also had it's reviews come earlier than usual due to high praise from critics, and that was from WB.

DapperSloth

Embargo lifts 5th september :).

Really looking forward to this movie! Only watched the first trailer, not gonna spoil myself of the surprises in the movie, like his voice and new stuff :).

Miles X

Chuckie and Pennywise taking over again?

feels like the 90s again, what a beautiful time to be alive

I liked Childs Play but ... I feel like Chucky and its fans are trying to catch a ride with IT. It's getting substantially less media/buzz than IT.

And the quality won't be anywhere near either.

I liked Childs Play but ... I feel like Chucky and its fans are trying to catch a ride with IT. It's getting substantially less media/buzz than IT.

And the quality won't be anywhere near either.

I love the Child's Play franchise, but the entire series has always been about riding the latest trends. The originals were created right around when Freddie cracked wise on the regular, the Bride-Seed movies hit around when "Scream" made meta-commentary popular, and Curse of Chucky cribs from the recent "art horror" phenomenon. Cult of Chucky sounds like a continuation in the same vein as Curse.

If anything "Stranger Things" feels like the better pop culture partner, seeing as how so much of what makes "Stranger Things" work is cribbed from "It".

Here are my thoughts on the movie (no spoilers):

There's something very wrong with Derry, and it's not just the thing that looks like a clown. Is it a malignant presence within its people? Is it the place itself? History is brought up frequently as an important element of the plot, but IT never feels all that interested in exploring its most interesting narrative conceit beyond perfunctory exposition. It doesn't seem all that interested in a cohesive narrative structure either, and its attempts at using the characters as mouthpieces for its themes are...cumbersome, to say the least. No, IT's interests really lie in making a gang of losers you enjoy watching, and in throwing a barrage of horrific vignettes assaultive enough to make a crowded theater lose their collective shit. If my crowded preview screening was evidence enough, it succeeded handily in those aims.

The cast of young actors they assembled are clearly capable of being a likeable ensemble. Finn Wolfhard of Stranger Things fame has already proven himself on the small screen, and he gets all the best laughs here as the mouthy Richie. But besides their surface level ticks, the losers never really felt like characters to me. They have a lot of banter and the occasional tender moment, but while the movie takes its sweet time setting this gang up, in doing so it never bothers to tell us much about them beyond their surface ticks. That's because, much like The Conjuring series, IT treats many of its "scare" scenes as almost stand-alone sequences, that really less on eerie tension and more on grating noises and toothy creatures bum rushing the camera. That's not to say that neither the gang nor the scares work, because the best moments of the film come from some unexpected stylistic jolts as the group bonds, capturing their outsider status and endearing them to us at the same time, and the funhouse approach to horror leads to some really enjoyable sequences that are impressive not necessarily because of their craft, but in the gleefulness in which it chains together gruesome horrors in relentless fashion. The best compliment I can give the film is that at some point it flashes by a cinema marquee advertising a Nightmare on Elm Street sequel, and IT would feel right at home in that series (and not as one of the worse entries).

And of course I have to mention Bill Skarsgård's Pennywise. His performance has already garnered the lion's share of prerelease attention and it's not for nothing. His slobbering, gutterly gleeful take on the clown makes for a worthy mascot for the film, and though he doesn't get a lot of screen time he clearly makes the most of every minute.

Ultimately IT's heart is in the right place and will likely lead many an audience member to laugh and squeal as they sit through this haunted house ride of a movie. But I can't help but imagine what might have been if it spent less effort trying to get immediate and predictable reactions from a crowd, and more effort crafting a nightmare that lingers and festers in the dark spaces of your head like the thing that haunts Derry. Less in your face and more in the gutter. It's certainly good weekend fun, but a 27 year burn this is not.

groansey

I think I'm gonna need to see your credentials, so have you read the book? seen the original TV miniseries? Obviously this adaptation will have less depth than the former, but the latter?

Where do you rate The Thing versus The Thing remake, and Halloween versus Rob Zombie's Halloween remake?

If a horror movie is making an audience collectively lose their shit, then it's doing something right.

I think I'm gonna need to see your credentials, so have you read the book? seen the original TV miniseries? Obviously this adaptation will have less depth than the former, but the latter?

Where do you rate The Thing versus The Thing remake, and Halloween versus Rob Zombie's Halloween remake?

If a horror movie is making an audience collectively lose their shit, then it's doing something right.

lol. I read the book but quite a long time ago, and I haven't seen the TV miniseries.

And dawg, I have a Big Trouble avatar so I'll give you one guess as to where I stand on The Thing and Halloween. Not sure why those are the litmus tests here anyway since IT isn't reminiscent to either of those in how it constructs its horror. It's Nightmare on Elm Street by way of the Conjuring in terms of content and execution.

I'm sure a lot of folks in here will enjoy it more than I did considering I wasn't quite as hot on Stranger Things as the zeitgeist was, and this obviously scratches a similar itch (Stranger Things is a stronger tale than this).

This sort of haunted house ride approach to horror where it's built around telegraphed "scare scenes" that feel like disjointed online short films (think the inspiration shorts for Mama and Lights Out) doesn't affect me much. It's certainly fun, and as I mention in my review they play some of the sequences really long and chain them together with a bevy of more interesting frights than Conjuring 2 (this movie even has a painting scene of its own) which is a similarly structured movie, but it feels disjointed and it never leaves the realm of blockbuster haunted house ride for truly disturbing or uncomfortable material. A lot of people are babbys so getting some yelps in a packed house when a monster bum rushes the camera is to be expected.

JonnyKong

Ugh those jump scares sound like the exact reason I don't like The Conjuring and many other supernatural horror films, but saying that I'm still excited to see it. (not in a I'm scared of them way, more like they feel cheap ways of scaring people kinda way)

damn. a lot of the big studio horror movies have been mired in that kind of 'scare setpiece' style of presentation lately. where it just feels like the movie is more interested in getting to the next scare they thought up as opposed to giving us an unsettling atmosphere throughout.

was hoping this movie would not be victim to that but oh well. still sounds like a fun time. i'm sure its at least a damn sight better than that awful Annabelle Origins movie I just saw a week ago. I enjoyed that clip of Pennywise for sure, Skarsgard seems like a riot.

Top Bottom