• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

Timu

Saw an article on Facebook from Veronica, which is Dutch and they said several movie journalists have seen the movie and said it was scary as shit. The best movie based on a Stephen King story, scary, bloody, funny and romantic. Even Stephen King himself apparently wasn't ready about how good it was.

Well bring on Wednesday midnight.
...This movie has to do well now! Also, best Stephen King movie?=O

In general I think the adult story is going to see a lot of reworking. A significant chunk of their story in the book is them sitting around in a couple different locations slowly recalling their childhood, which obviously won't work with these films format.
I think they're going to bolster the psychological thriller aspect.
Bev escaping Tom, and him chasing her to Derry, and Henry breaking out and terrorizing the group
, are two emotionally charged and tense plot strands that alone could make a engaging psychological thriller, and then you add the supernatural horror elements weaving their way into the story

Majora

Just got back from seeing an advance screening of this in London. Disclaimer: I have previously seen the mini series but not read the book. I guess you guys are going to want some context for my opinions, so my favourite horror film is Rosemary's Baby with The Shining a close second. Not generally a fan of modern Hollywood horror and, for example, disliked both Insidious and The Conjuring which I think are shallow, boring, derivative exercises in jump scares and not much else.

IT is a very busy film and it's not always a successful one. Its strengths and weaknesses are not at all what I expected, and it's broadly entertaining but ultimately a bit disappointing.

I guess I'll start by saying that I was surprised by how much of a comedy (intentional) it is. This is something that was not conveyed by the miniseries at all outside of Tim Curry's appearances and I have no idea if it's the case in the book, but large chunks of the film are basically a comedy with horror interludes. There were a lot of laughs at the screening I was at, and generally the film juggles the comedy and horror elements well, occasionally in the same scene, without it feeling tonally jarring. There were one or two moments where I thought they got it wrong and the contrast in tone from scene to scene was just too much, but on the whole it's pulled off well - no mean feat.

Much of the humour comes during the lengthy sections of the movie where the kids bond and form relationships. This is solidly done and the child actors are uniformly excellent, although a couple of them felt very underused by the end. The black kid and the Jewish kid (can't remember their names) didn't really feel like they had much to do compared to the rest of them.

So, breaking it down you have a good comedy and a solid coming of age/bonding story. What about the horror? Sadly, this is the weakest element of the movie by far. Please dispense of any notions that this is in any way a subtle or particularly psychological horror movie. It has its moments for sure but for the most part it is loud, brash, action packed, stuffed full of mediocre CGI, guilty of showing way too much on screen and features a laughable amount of shots of Pennywise dashing at the screen.

There are a few really good set-pieces, I won't lie. They're set-pieces in the modern Hollywood horror movie vein but they're gripping ones. There are just as many bad ones though. One in particular I thought was laughable, and there are numerous times when there is a solid build-up but the end of the scene is fluffed. The Georgie scene at the beginning is a great example of this sadly. The payoff does not live up to the great build-up at all.

With regards to Derry and its inhabitants, it does a better job trying to convey the complexity of what is wrong at the heart of the town than the miniseries but it still doesn't feel quite there. Maybe it's a nearly impossible task for a two and a bit hour movie to be honest. The bullies and Beverly's dad are, unsurprisingly, way nastier and more disturbing than the miniseries and a couple of other characters like another parent and the pharmacist get screen time to show how fucked up the town is. You also get some brief exposition about the town's history from the fat kid who essentially turns into a clunky exposition machine when the writers demand it.

The climax of the movie is an overstuffed, underwhelming, unscary turkey which left me feeling flat and disappointed just as the movie was ending. Didn't work for me at all and I think it is potentially one of the few areas where the TV miniseries is better; the climax to part 1 of the miniseries is more restrained, less silly and less action orientated, even if that was only due to budget constraints, and I think it works better for it.

I can't possibly end my thoughts without talking about the performance of Pennywise. It's very good, bouncing between eccentric humour and genuine menace with aplomb, but his appearances are almost too sparing. Half the time he does appear he's jumping around or running at the camera anyway, so the amount of actual dialogue he has in the whole movie is surprisingly low, which feels slightly disappointing given how well he delivers what he does have.

As you can see, my overall feelings are mixed leaning towards good. The 2 hours 15 minutes flew by, I'll give them that. It just doesn't all work, some of the horror is weak or silly, and by the end the movie just feels like it hasn't quite cohered into a satisfying whole so much as a series of vignettes of varying quality.

So, breaking it down you have a good comedy and a solid coming of age/bonding story. What about the horror? Sadly, this is the weakest element of the movie by far. Please dispense of any notions that this is in any way a subtle or particularly psychological horror movie. It has its moments for sure but for the most part it is loud, brash, action packed, stuffed full of mediocre CGI, guilty of showing way too much on screen and features a laughable amount of shots of Pennywise dashing at the screen.

I don't care about coming off age stories, so it's disappointing to hear that the horror is apparently as bland as the trailers and leak made it look like.
Guess I'm out.

Jarmel

Banned
There are just as many bad ones though. One in particular I thought was laughable, and there are numerous times when there is a solid build-up but the end of the scene is fluffed.

Is it the
Bev bathroom scene
? I've heard complaints that it's way over the top.
The climax of the movie is an overstuffed, underwhelming, unscary turkey which left me feeling flat and disappointed just as the movie was ending. Didn't work for me at all and I think it is potentially one of the few areas where the TV miniseries is better; the climax to part 1 of the miniseries is more restrained, less silly and less action orientated, even if that was only due to budget constraints.

Hmmm.
I'm really disappointed they dialed back the cosmic horror part as I think that could have been a great way of ending it.

Btw (possible big spoiler)
does Henry die in this? Seems like a really bizarre change.

Please dispense of any notions that this is in any way a subtle or particularly psychological horror movie

I mean, why would I enter the film expecting that in the first place.

It's an adaptation of Stephen King's "IT".

It is a book that is neither subtle, or all that "psychological."

I don't care about coming off age stories, so it's disappointing to hear that the horror is apparently as bland as the trailers and leak made it look like.
Guess I'm out.

People get shook easy.

The movie looks unique, if it manages to blend the coming of age and horror elements together well.

Reading the book, I always felt the stronger themes in it were about a group of kids trying to fit in.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I'm way more excited about the coming of age aspect than the horror parts so this sounds good to me. Stranger Things The Movie, give it to me.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, the kids run ins with Pennywise and Its forms were often sudden and gruesome - not psychological. As More_Badass said, there's material in the adult portion of the story to go that route. The kids portion of the book is about their fears realized.

Though Pennywise bum-rushing the camera more than once is not what I had in mind there, either. We'll see.

I'll never understand peoples love of the mini series. Super hyped for this and got my ticket for this Thursday and got about 8 hours left on the audio book. Hyped.

Yeah, the kids run ins with Pennywise and Its forms were often sudden and gruesome - not psychological. As More_Badass said, there's material in the adult portion of the story to go that route. The kids portion of the book is about their fears realized.

Though Pennywise bum-rushing the camera more than once is not what I had in mind there, either. We'll see.
To be fair, even The Witch had its one quick-turn-to-the-screen jump scare

As long as this has less jump scares than normal, and also has some creeping dread parts and unsettling imagery, I'll be satisfied

Also are any of the jump scares cheap (ie the typical cat fake-out, or really a friend appearing from behind, etc)?

Majora

I mean, why would I enter the film expecting that in the first place.

It's an adaptation of Stephen King's "IT".

It is a book that is neither subtle, or all that "psychological."

Here's the thing though. When it comes to the actual horror, the miniseries is often more restrained and subtle than the movie. Much of the horror in this movie is a (poor) CGI fest (seriously, watch it and tell me that the Jewish kid's fear is anything other than ridiculous looking) and there is a LOT of action and noise. There are modern Hollywood horror movie traits written all over this and I expected more.

I didn't see Mama but I'm not convinced this director is particularly great at directing horror. Based on this evidence I'd say he's much more natural working with comedy than with horror.

GhaleonEB

To be fair, even The Witch had its one quick-turn-to-the-screen jump scare

As long as this has less jump scares than normal, and also has some creeping dread parts and unsettling imagery, I'll be satisfied

Yeah like we talked about before, if the jump scares are earned (as was the one or two in The Witch) then it's fine. In that post I was more lamenting seeing the same jump scare a few times. (Annabelle: Creation did this and was so bad.)

When it comes to the actual horror, the miniseries is often more restrained and subtle than the movie

But there is no horror in the miniseries, its just campy & silly. And not at all subtle lol

In a sea of mediocre to bad ones those are the ones that stand out for being good Stephen King movies.

You do speak the truth. People seem to forget about the good and even the great ones. Misery won an Oscar even. O.O

Korigama

I'll never understand peoples love of the mini series. Super hyped for this and got my ticket for this Thursday and got about 8 hours left on the audio book. Hyped.
Though I found the mini-series entertaining after finally seeing it, it seemed rather tame even without actually reading the book (was familiar with the material and able to keep track of things they changed or otherwise omitted, though). If I were to be blunt, I'd say it reminded me more of the sort of adaptation that teachers would show to their classes in junior high after students had read a book.

Majora

Also are any of the jump scares cheap (ie the typical cat fake-out, or really a friend appearing from behind, etc)?

I can't recall any fake-outs like that. My issue with the horror isn't really the jump scares, of which there actually aren't many, it's the amount of action and CGI and Pennywise running towards the camera.

The Georgie scene is by far the tensest and slowest burn scene in the movie.

Here's the thing though. When it comes to the actual horror, the miniseries is often more restrained and subtle than the movie.

Yeah, but the miniseries is fucking shit.

Like, terrible.

I'd imagine the restraint and "subtlety" being praised is more like bad direction and budget constraints. The Miniseries is almost completely unfrightening no matter what it tries, and most of what it tries is ineptly executed.

Of course you saw "modern Horror traits," it's a modern horror movie. The question is whether they did them well.

(I also don't think obvious CGI is an automatic negative, either, any more than I think obvious puppetry or makeup work is an automatic negative)

Unearned jump scares? That's gonna be a problem.
Gaudy set-pieces that don't justify their existence? Gonna be a problem
Botched payoffs to quality setups? Absolutely gonna be a problem.

But if what makes those payoffs "botched" is not much more than "I spotted the CGI" and "It wasn't like it was in the miniseries," then there's a decent chance our definitions of "botched" aren't gonna line up.

I'll find out tomorrow night!

Top Bottom