• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's a Wonderful World (New Square Touch Action RPG for DS)

neo2046

look! Square definitely can do good 2D sprite game in DS
Square! why you not just port FF3, 5, 6 to DS in good 2D sprite ? :(

ethelred

Unrelatedly, the addition of Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, It's a Wonderful World, and Heroes of Mana brings Square Enix up to 11 DS games.

Pellham

Banned
neo2046 said:
look! Square definitely can do good 2D sprite game in DS
Square! why you not just port FF3, 5, 6 to DS in good 2D sprite ? :(

I dunno, I think an RPG in 3D > RPG in 2D. though i wouldn't mind a 3D RPG that used 2D sprite look but that will never happen now

Rocked

Good art.

pirateju3.jpg

:lol !?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pellham said:
I dunno, I think an RPG in 3D > RPG in 2D. though i wouldn't mind a 3D RPG that used 2D sprite look but that will never happen now

You crazy boy.

ksamedi

ethelred said:
Unrelatedly, the addition of Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, It's a Wonderful World, and Heroes of Mana brings Square Enix up to 11 DS games.

I want them all !! except Chocobo

Rocket slime
Dragon quest monsters
FF3
Children of Mana
Chocobo
FF XII Revenant wings
Its a wonderfull world
Heroes of Mana
FF Crystal chronicles
Mario hoops

and what am i missing here?

More modern day setting RPG's = good. It's about time more started mixing it up frmo the scifi, medievil, scifi ect. setting of the RPG norm.

Himuro said:
idk

I'd like to see what he can do game wise outside of KH.

the Kingdom hearts series is weaksauce gameplay with huge production values to fool audiovisualphiles into enjoying themselves. Hopefully someone competent is at the helm, and if Im not mistaken nomura has too much on his plate already with crisis core and ff13 vs.

Probationsmack said:
the Kingdom hearts series is weaksauce gameplay with huge production values to fool audiovisualphiles into enjoying themselves. Hopefully someone competent is at the helm, and if Im not mistaken nomura has too much on his plate already with crisis core and ff13 vs.

He's not really working on Crisis Core outside of the character art which he's probably gotten out the way by now. So that just leaves FFvs13 (where he is the game director), this and Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love the art style. It's got a great japanese street vibe about it. **** the haters. Nomura wins this round.

ivysaur12

Banned
VicAlpha said:
not...really?

If I had asked you two years ago that Square-Enix would be making a new IP for the next Nintendo handheld, what would you have said? I mean, how many new IPs did Square-Enix make for the PS2?

madhtr

Obviously a little late..... but the character designs (for It's a Wonderful World) aren't just Nomura. Gen Kobayashi also had his hands in there. He was the character designer for Musashi: Samurai Legend, as well as the character modeler for Resident Evil Zero.

madhtr said:
Obviously a little late..... but the character designs (for It's a Wonderful World) aren't just Nomura. Gen Kobayashi also had his hands in there. He was the character designer for Musashi: Samurai Legend, as well as the character modeler for Resident Evil Zero.

Yah but those designs atleast are definetly Nomura's. Nomura might be handeling the main characters while Gen does the others.

jarrod

Banned
Considering Division 1's KH team is now involved in 4 games (FF Vs XIII, Crisis Core, Wonderul World, KH2 Final Mix), I'm guessing the handheld stuff is likely co-developed. Wonderful World looks like Jupiter to me (a la KH COM). Crisis Core I dunno though... maybe TOSE?

ZeoVGM

Banned
can someone PLEASE translate what it says about that KH card battle screen shot?

i still stand by what i said in the other thread: looks like a 3D remake of CoM, included in Final Mix. though i could be wrong (probably am!)

darkvir

Excellent, thanx for the scan!

I luv my DS~!

So it loosely translates to "Vaan and Panero's new journey", its a story about sky pirates that go to a new land in Ivalice...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
ivysaur12 said:
If I had asked you two years ago that Square-Enix would be making a new IP for the next Nintendo handheld, what would you have said?
"Yeah, I know. It's called Egg Monster Hero and they already announced it at E3."
I mean, how many new IPs did Square-Enix make for the PS2?
Fullmetal Alchemist
Radiata Stories
The Bouncer
Driving Emotion
Code Age Commanders

Probably a few more I'm forgetting.

thetrin

Jonnyram said:
OMG, the game is set in Shibuya?
Awesome!

If Hachiko-san comes to life as a giant killer dog monster, I will laugh my ass off.

ivysaur12

Banned
Shig said:
"Yeah, I know. It's called Egg Monster Hero and they already announced it at E3."

Fullmetal Alchemist
Radiata Stories
The Bouncer
Driving Emotion
Code Age Commanders

Egg Monster Hero isn't a new IP. It's based off of a long standing Japanese IP. Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Zilch said:
The Hanjuuku Hero series has been around for a lot longer than the DS has.
Ah. Oh well.

It's still not THAT much of a surprise. The Mana and SaGa series started on Game Boy, it's not like they've never done a new IP on handhelds.
Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga.
I'm pretty certain FMA is a fully Square-developed IP spread across multiple media at once. Just like Bandai did with .hack.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
darkvir said:
Excellent, thanx for the scan!

I luv my DS~!

So it loosely translates to "Vaan and Panero's new journey", its a story about sky pirates that go to a new land in Ivalice...
Everytime I hear sky pirates I think Skies of Arcadia. :(

Ashodin

battle.jpg

A closer examination of the battle reveals that it looks like you can play 2 player with it!

Or, you control both characters somehow, or the top character is auto (like Portrait of Ruin).

The big thing here is what the characters really are: psychics, ala Earthbound.

Those symbols on the top screen? They're psychic symbols used by people to see if you have ESP. The way how you progress to the plus sign instead of the circle is unknown, but as you can see, the chick at the top is psychically slashing her enemies.

I love games with characters as psychics.

thetrin

Shig said:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Radiata Stories
The Bouncer
Driving Emotion
Code Age Commanders

Um....Kingdom Hearts?!

Shig said:
I'm pretty FMA is a fully Square-developed IP, though spread across multiple media. Sort of like .hack was for Bandai.

Wrong. The manga was running much before Square got a hold of it. They only developed the games and handled funding for the anime.

jarrod

Banned
Shig said:
Ah. Oh well.

It's still not THAT much of a surprise. The Mana and SaGa series started on Game Boy, it's not like they've never done a new IP on handhelds.
Yep, there's also Blue Wing Blitz and Wildcard on WSC... both of which would actually suit themselves well to DS actually.

jarrod

Banned
TheTrin said:
Um....Kingdom Hearts?!
Kingdom Hearts is based on mostly old IPs.... most of which don't even belong to Square. I'm not sure if it qualifies more than any other spinoff or licensed game honsetly.

Top Bottom