• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's a Wonderful World (New Square Touch Action RPG for DS)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jarrod said:
Kingdom Hearts is based on mostly old IPs.... most of which don't even belong to Square. I'm not sure if it qualifies more than any other spinoff or licensed game honsetly.

That doesn't block it from being a new IP. The core intellectual property, which encompasses the story of Sora, and his journey through established worlds was introduced on the PS2.

The dude in the white shirt has the same cell phone as me....I think. *squint*

It's hard to tell, but considering Square shills for DoCoMo (and I use au), it's doubtful...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Wrong. The manga was running much before Square got a hold of it. They only developed the games and handled funding for the anime.
Ah. Okay.

themoreyouknow.gif

madhtr

SolidSnakex said:
Yah but those designs atleast are definetly Nomura's. Nomura might be handeling the main characters while Gen does the others.
Hmmm, maybe the enemy designs are Kobayashi's?

Amir0x

Banned
2D! yeaaah. Go go go Squeenix. Looks genuinely nice, can't wait to hear more details on this one.

FFXII looks like... they lamified the character designs even further than before. Impressive feat.

Xristot

These games look hot. I'm loving the square support on DS. I can't wait to find out more info on these titles.

If wii support can match even half their DS support, it'll be nice.

also, creepy guy avatar anyone?

hooo

boooy
Shig said:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Radiata Stories
The Bouncer
Driving Emotion
Code Age Commanders

Probably a few more I'm forgetting.

Radiata Stories is from TriAce and wasn't Code Age an Enix project?

Gamefaqs has a full list here.

ant1532

Banned
Holy crap, YAY new trailer for Kingdom Hearts 3 in Final Mix!! Buying it for sure!
untitled-10.jpg

That DS gmae looks great, and I can't believe they're making a FF12 game for DS!!!
Square Nintendo coming back at full force!

Er...wow.

Nomura isn't that nice but I'm so sold on new Square IPs. Square please resurrect (yourselves and Chrono) :D

FFXII-2, well, nothing showing...wait for TGS?

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix...yay, but like FFXII-2, I'm still waiting on the original games so :(

JoJo13 said:
Looks cool, but I wonder how much they think they'll sell, 350k? :|

Kingdom Hearts Ultimania said:
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories:
- 1,107,500 copies total in North America over 1 and a half years.
- 149,000 copies sold this year

For a game that was a major let-down, those seem like pretty good numbers.

u_neek

http://ds.ign.com/articles/732/732511p1.html

September 13, 2006 - If you were wondering what the Kingdom Hearts team has been working on since development on Kingdom Hearts II finished up, here it is. Square Enix has announced an original new game for the DS. Titled "It's a Wonderful World," this game is being developed by the Kingdom Hearts team and Tetsuya Nomura.

It's a Wonderful World is set in real world Japan. The game takes place primarily in Tokyo's trendy Shibuya region and features famous locations like Scramble Crossing (according to some reports, the most heavily trafficked crosswalk in the world) and the 109 shopping mall (reportedly the most financially successful shopping mall in the world).

You play as Neku, a boy who has the ability to read the hearts of others. Neku meets a young girl named Tsuki while walking through the streets. The two end up in Shibuya and are forced to play a mysterious game.

While gameplay details are scarce at this point, it's known that the title has a battle system in which Neku and Tsuki face off against attacking monsters. You control separate battles that take place simultaneously on the top and bottom screens. How this is done is being kept under wraps for now, but you'll have to master this system, as the individual battles have an effect on one-another.

Details on It's a Wonderful World should be forthcoming in a few days as the Tokyo Game Show approaches. Stay tuned!

jarrod

Banned
TheTrin said:
That doesn't block it from being a new IP. The core intellectual property, which encompasses the story of Sora, and his journey through established worlds was introduced on the PS2.
Er... that argument could be applied to dozens of IP spinoffs, many of which are based on their own core designs and using only the most peripheral of established IPs. Calling Kingdom Hearts a new IP though... it's sort of like calling King of Fighters or Smash Bros new IPs. It might be true when looking at the game from one specific angle, but overall it just doesn't work.

ant1532

Banned
jarrod said:
Er... that argument could be applied to dozens of IP spinoffs, many of which are based on their own core designs and using only the most peripheral of established IPs. Calling Kingdom Hearts a new IP though... it's sort of like calling King of Fighters or Smash Bros new IPs. It might be true when looking at the game from one specific angle, but overall it just doesn't work.
Sounds like you got your Genres and IPs mixed up..

jarrod

Banned
ant1532 said:
Sounds like you got your Genres and IPs mixed up..
What's "IP" stand for exactly? And what percentage of that found in Kingdom Hearts would qualify as "new" then? 90%? 50%? Even 25%?

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
Are Fighters MegaMix, Super Smash Bros. and The King of Fighters also acceptably new IPs?

King of Fighters -> Not a new IP from this gen, that series is old and has 50 titles already
Smash Bros. -> Also not a new IP from this gen, started in N64
Fighters MegaMax -> ...

jarrod said:
And what percentage of that found in Kingdom Hearts would qualify as "new" then? 90%? 50%? Even 25%?

Uhm, 100%? Do you even know what you're ****ing saying?

ivysaur12

Banned
Amir0x said:
King of Fighters -> Not a new IP from this gen, that series is old and has 50 titles already
Smash Bros. -> Also not a new IP from this gen, started in N64
Fighters MegaMax -> ...

He means when they first came out were they new IPs

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
Why would Square Enix need to work out a detailed license deal with Disney if Kingdom Hearts was literally 100% new itellectual property?

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
Why would Square Enix need to work out a detailed license deal with Disney if Kingdom Hearts was literally 100% new itellectual property?

I don't think "new IP" means what you think it means.

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't think "new IP" means what you think it means.
Then what does "new IP" mean exactly? Are THQ, EA and Activision leaders in "new IP" like Cars, NFL Street and Spider-man the Movie? ;)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Well Smash Bros is a new IP. The characters don't have to be original. Donkey Kong and Mario Bros are two seperate IPs even though we saw Mario in Donkey Kong. Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Party are all different IPs.

Ikael

As long as Nomura doesn't touch the script or history even with a 10 meter pole, I am fine with his designs... specially the ones of this kind. BTW, are you guys sure that Nomura is making the art of it? it reminds me of "Before the crisis"...

jett

D-Member
ant1532 said:

A grown-up Sora, huh. Kingdom Hearts III is going to be...interesting.

And damnit Square, why a FF12 spinoff for the DS? Keep the PS2 dream alive, damn you.

edit: :lol at jarrod

ant1532

Banned
davepoobond said:
so they confirmed Kingdom Hearts 3?

also, is the FFXII DS game a tactics game or what?
Yea, they didn't make an announcement, but there has been interviews with Nomura(KHUlitima) and the special trailer at the end of KH2 gives it away

Mau ®

davepoobond said:
is KH2 final mix coming out in the states? i still need to buy the game.

It should. I havent buy KH2 (waiting for GH) but if this comes out at even 29.99 I grab it.

Adult Sora sure looks interesting, is it possible KH is a trilogy? Nah...

Im getting a DSlite for all this SE love. I hope Crisis Core is also a big full blown effort, not just some cash in. It looks like a big effort.

ant1532

Banned
davepoobond said:
is KH2 final mix coming out in the states? i still need to buy the game.
They've never released any of the international, final mix games in the US but you never know. I'm just going to get the Japanese version since it's in ENglish

davepoobond said:
so they confirmed Kingdom Hearts 3?

Ofcourse its coming. But its probably far off. FFvs13 really hasn't even started development and that's going to take awhile. When Nomura gets done with that then KH3 will likely come.

Ikael said:
BTW, are you guys sure that Nomura is making the art of it? it reminds me of "Before the crisis"...

Nomura did the character designs for that also.

ff7bc001hg5.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ant1532 said:
Holy crap, YAY new trailer for Kingdom Hearts 3 in Final Mix!! Buying it for sure!
untitled-10.jpg

Buy it and upload the new trailer on youtube so the rest of us save $50 on rebuying the US version of the game again (plus one or two new meaningless fights).

Meier

SolidSnakex said:
Ofcourse its coming. But its probably far off. FFvs13 really hasn't even started development and that's going to take awhile. When Nomura gets done with that then KH3 will likely come.

Was it ever announced yet? And that it was in development for the PS3? I cant imagine that it wouldnt be, but it hasnt been made formal yet, has it?

Meier said:
Was it ever announced yet? And that it was in development for the PS3? I cant imagine that it wouldnt be, but it hasnt been made formal yet, has it?

It hasn't been confirmed and probably won't be anytime soon. That screen of what people think is Sora won't even be labeled KH3. It'll be like Deep Dive which was obviously a hint at KH2 but they dont' call it that.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
SolidSnakex said:

i wasn't doubting the existence of a future KH3, but this is pretty much an official confirmation. we don't know if they'll make KH multiconsole...

Teasel

i remember nomura saying that there wasn't going to be a final mix version of KH2... did i dream that or is nomura just plain dumb?

ant1532

Banned
Kintaro said:
Buy it and upload the new trailer on youtube so the rest of us save $50 on rebuying the US version of the game again (plus one or two new meaningless fights).
I would but you forgot the magic word.

ant1532

Banned
Teasel said:
i remember nomura saying that there wasn't going to be a final mix version of KH2... did i dream that or is nomura just plain dumb?
He said in the Ultimia inverterview that he might not find time to do it even though he wanted to. But apparently he did and does have enough time :)

neptunes

I'm getting a KH vibe from the screenshots(duh)
This type of game should be popular with the T(w)eens.

and you'd think his team would prefer a working on the psp, but wow it sure is dying in japan.

Teasel said:
I wouldn't be suprised, this gen is drawing to a close, sales wouldn't be as high as KH1 Final mix.

Top Bottom