• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's rather unfortunate how streaming games has become a beggar's paradise...

It also doesn't help that most streamers are boring as all hell. Like seriously how can anybody watch more than 5 minutes of some character playing a game as hard to follow as League while an annoying sound plays when somebody subscribes.

I was under the impression that the vast majority of people who watch streaming are children? They go from obnoxiously loud and busy TV shows to obnoxiously loud and busy video games and expect obnoxiously loud and busy hosts.

^This, seriously guys.

You don't like someone's channel? Go to another one that fits what personality that you want. Don't like the chat? Turn it off and just watch the game. These guys provide entertainment and people choose to support them because of it. Some channels are complete shit and don't deserve views at all? Sure. But you aren't going to stop them from being towards the top, people get what people want.

Personally, I sub to Lirik, Summit1G, and QTPie. They don't beg for subs, have minimal (and quiet) thank yous when someone actually does sub, and actually don't have their screens littered with ads and garbage.

For example here's Summit current stream.

Very minimal, just has a face cam. Why, you ask? Because his reactions are entertaining as hell and it helps him interact with the chat. I really don't understand NeoGAF's scathing hatred of Twitch and variety streamers in general.

Find a channel that fits your niche and just have fun watching video games.

Lirik is good

Summit can be annoying when he pays to much attention to his chat ... it's the only thing i dislike when they get donations they don't play and just ignore everything.

Velcro Fly

It doesn't bother me.

I don't care that people ask for donations or have trackers that pop up when people donate/follow/subscribe.

I think if people could get money to play video games a few hours per day and have other people watch it they would.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Okay? He even admits that was a stupid analogy. Keep watching the video and makes very valid points about how when you first streaming, no one gives you a damn thing. The argument he was having with chat was about what Twitch is about. Twitch streamers turned their hobbies into a job and eventually got paid for it, not the other way around.

No one starts streaming on Twitch with the sole purpose of making bank. They start it because they enjoy playing videogames and wanted to entertain a live audience. If people want to contribute to it, great. If they just want to lurk and enjoy the channel, also fine. You guys act like Twitch streamers are ungrateful for the privilege they have to actually make money off their hobbies. Lirik practically started crying when reached 10,000 subs and thanked everyone (subs and nonsubs) for contributing to his channel. These guys put time and effort into their channels and you guys act like it's been easy going since day one.

NeoGAF acts like streamers just turn on their broadcasts and start vegging out to play videogames while occasionally begging for subs. You have to constantly be entertaining and funny, constantly be talking, constantly engage your chat and community for 6+ hours a day. That shit isn't easy and these guys deserve the money they make from voluntary donations. If you guys want videogame gameplay with no donations, subs, chats, or hell even commentary go watch a lets play on YouTube.

Edit: If you want someone to create quality entertaining content that they put effort into, they need to put food on the table. A sub or donation every couple minutes is a small price to pay for the hours of entertainment these streamers have provided me.

Setsuna

Lirik is good

Summit can be annoying when he pays to much attention to his chat ... it's the only thing i dislike when they get donations they don't play and just ignore everything.

I disagree, 90 percent of liriks stream is reading donations and sub names. to the point where people are having conversations through donations

I wish i could earn money, while i play videogames. There's nothing wrong with it and i bet a lot of people wish they could become a popular streamer.

I was under the impression that the vast majority of people who watch streaming are children? They go from obnoxiously loud and busy TV shows to obnoxiously loud and busy video games and expect obnoxiously loud and busy hosts.

This. Things that entertain children usually annoy the hell out of adults.

I find it annoying that a lot of streamers are resorting to this style of broadcasting, but if they continue making money off of these gimmicks they will continue to do them. It is such a strange culture that is building around the Twitch/Youtube communities recently.

Generally I stick with Giant Bomb for my gaming videos and live streams, so I don't have to worry about these issues as much as someone who frequents Twitch/Youtube channels.

rofl

Thats minimalistic as hell

Look at this bullshit. This is the cancer that is killing twitch. He is the #1 stream on CS:GO with over 12K viewers

I don't watch a ton of twitch, but I'm seeing more and more channels put the chat on the screen. Am I missing something? Why would this be necessary? It just seems like it clutters up the screen and lags behind the actual chat.

njean777

It also doesn't help that most streamers are boring as all hell. Like seriously how can anybody watch more than 5 minutes of some character playing a game as hard to follow as League while an annoying sound plays when somebody subscribes.

Well I reckon it is like football or sports in general. To somebody that has no clue about the game (or sport) it may be boring, but if you have some sense into the deeper tactics and strategy of a game it can be quit enjoyable to watch somebody good at LOL, Dota 2, Cs, etc.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I disagree, 90 percent of liriks stream is reading donations and sub names. to the point where people are having conversations through donations

Lirik is usually playing H1Z1 and ArmaIII which is a lot of him just running around and looking for people to kill. There is nothing wrong with reading subs and donations in this downtime which is what he usually does so idk where you get this 90% value from.

I don't watch a ton of twitch, but I'm seeing more and more channels put the chat on the screen. Am I missing something? Why would this be necessary? It just seems like it clutters up the screen and lags behind the actual chat.

The reason for this is if people miss the actual live stream they can watch the VoDs and still get to see chat reactions.

RedSwirl

I don't follow Twitch, but does it not have some YouTube-style monetization system where people can get paid based on ad views? Seems to me that's where it should be headed. It just seems like a lot of people trying to make a living between the cracks in today's economy. Patreon and YouTube are basically the same thing, which is why I asked if Twitch didn't have a similar system.

That said, if you do want to make a living off Twitch, you have to realize what you're basically doing is producing a live show. It should be entertaining and/or informative. I don't know how many streamers actually try to accomplish this. If you do get a lot of donations or ad views, you should put some of that towards making your stream better. Charity gameplay and tournaments are the obvious business models that have come up.

In all honesty though, I just miss the 1up Show, Area 5, and Co-Op. I feel like that should have been the model for the current era of gaming video coverage. I understand that kind of show is really expensive to produce though, but someone could still try its overall structure of placing a camera in front of people talking about games and pre-recording some footage. It would be amazing if established sites like IGN or GameSpot picked up that baton.

In all honesty though, I just miss the 1up Show, Area 5, and Co-Op. I feel like that should have been the model for the current era of gaming video coverage. I understand that kind of show is really expensive to produce though, but someone could still try its overall structure of placing a camera in front of people talking about games and pre-recording some footage. It would be amazing if established sites like IGN or GameSpot picked up that baton.

To a certain extent the Giant Bomb/Gamespot crew has done some of what you are talking about. Also the guys over at Area 5 also is doing a 6 episode run of Co-Op as part of their Outerlands Kickstarter (Episode 1 was just recently released! )

I feel ya though, I miss the days of the 1up Show.

E92 M3

To elaborate further: I AM NOT AGAINST people making money on Twitch for their hard work. What I find tacky is that there are a lot of people who simply only want donations right off the bat with streaming being secondary. I am talking about the brand new channels that already have giant donation links. If I see a big donation link as the first thing on the about section I consider that begging.

A few days ago I actually found a very cool channel were the streamer simply refused to put a donation link stating that he has "a job." It was refreshing to see someone just play without asking anything from anybody.

I'd give a donation to someone like that.

Shenaniganery

Neo Member
As someone who's had much less time to play video games, having Twitch streams and Giant Bomb content on in the background has replaced cable TV entirely, and I subscribe to Giant Bomb so it's not too much of a stretch to sub to a twitch channel, but rarely ever for more than a month or for more than one channel at a time.

Some people here don't seem to understand that Twitch is more than just someone streaming and someone watching, most streamers tend to develop a community within their channel, and if a streamer plays a game I like then the channel is a great place to talk to a bunch of people about that game, or get some insight about it from the streamer since he's probably played a ton of it. For the bigger streams this is pretty much nonexistent though since chat is mostly a complete shit show.

I'm all for people making a living playing video games, but reading out every donation and stopping to thank every subscriber seems to always attract the kind of people who get upset if their donation or subscription isn't noticed, and pandering to that kind of audience is usually what causes me to find another channel to watch. Speedrunners for the most part, while they do get a bit hostile about it sometimes, seem to have a good grasp of where the line is between making a living off of their passion and shamelessly begging for money.

daninthemix

There's so many streams that if you look around you'll find just about every ratio of gameplay to commentary to chat interaction to sub/donation alerts.

If you think a stream is obnoxious, find another.

I'll watch high level play like someone speed-running crota or something. If I want to find out about a game I think youtube is better. Either way I won't give money, but I have nothing against them taking money if people are willing to give it to them.

It doesn't bother me.

I don't care that people ask for donations or have trackers that pop up when people donate/follow/subscribe.

I think if people could get money to play video games a few hours per day and have other people watch it they would.
Completely this

Stop being so damn pressed.

Future

Blows my mind that this is a thing, but can't hate. If you can get people to give you money, then the winner is you

I might just be too old for this new phenomenon, but I don't get the appeal for streams unless the game is old (PS2/GC or older) or the game is being played competitively and you're watching high level play.

If the guy knows his stuff, then hearing their insight and analysis is the main reason for watching.

GinoBiru

Banned
Essentially these are just tactics which camgirls use. I don't watch many streams but do private sessions already exist on Twitch?

Seanspeed

Banned
I liken it to virtual street performers. Yeah their act may be cool, but I'm not likely to throw a buck in the hat.
I don't mind throwing a street performer a buck or two here and there. Ya know - these guys actually practice/train their craft and often have some impressive talent and skill. Streamers - well they're just fucking playing video games aren't they? Sure, some of them are more charismatic or interesting or entertaining than others just by virtue of personality differences, but in the end, all they're doing is playing a video game.

Stop watching them. Watching other people play video game is totally absurd.
Nah, I enjoy watching others play video games quite a bit. My interest in it has died quite a bit since justintv, though.

rofl

Thats minimalistic as hell

Look at this bullshit. This is the cancer that is killing twitch. He is the #1 stream on CS:GO with over 12K viewers

Streams that have G2A plastered all over the place piss me off so much. I follow a popular streamer that said G2A emailed and PM'd him on Twitch/Facebook/Twitter/YouTube hundreds of times a week pretty much harassing him to promote their site. Everytime he'd block one account, they'd use another one to message him. Fuck G2A and their shady ass black market site.

squidyj

oh my god you guys other people are doing things that I don't like and can't be fucking bothered to even try understanding.... ON THE INTERNET. WHAT THE FUCK GUYS?

B9C53F4D61B0526118C5CA61B4A23469EF6E3E48

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

Variety streamers suck in general, but there are a lot of good streams out there. You just need to find them.

My personal stream is and always has been about showing off new games when they are release and answering reviewer questions and requests so they can make informed purchasing choices. So I guess I'm a variety streamer, although to be fair I get like no viewers. So it's not so much streaming, as me wasting bandwidth :D

I avoid large streams for the exact reason you're talking about though. I don't understand why anyone would really want to go in the huge streams. There's a thousand interesting tiny streams that want viewers, and not even for donations. Everyone just flocks to the huge streams though.

SRTtoZ

I just wonder what happens when their audience disappears? Like if they make a living streaming now, what happens when they are 40 and have no audience? Do they go work at Starbucks or something?

thenexus6

Ray recently left Rooster teeth to stream full time. The other day was his first stream, and there was a sound effect for every donation. I couldn't even hear the game or his audio.. Someone on reddit worked out he made a good 15-20k in a few hours.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm not a fan of Twitch in general (outside of getting a look at brand new or unreleased games) but it feels like we have this sort of thread every couple weeks.

Forkball

I was watching an Evolve stream the day it came out and I clicked on some random girl's stream. Within minutes she got like a $60 donation that basically paid for the game. I can get free games just by playing them in front of others? WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THIS?

Ray recently left Rooster teeth to stream full time. The other day was his first stream, and there was a sound effect for every donation. I couldn't even hear the game or his audio.. Someone on reddit worked out he made a good 15-20k in a few hours.
Jesus. That's quite something, but if I was in that position I would be concerned with the long term prospects of the job. I would definately be thinking of ways I could parlay the visibility streaming gives you and try to get a more secure job in the gaming industry (or media, PR etc).

I think about the relatively young audience and how like a lot of media largely consumed by teenagers and young adults, the audience is transient and moves on when they leave school, get jobs and having kids etc. Will there be a new audience coming in behind them to fill their shoes and will they want to watch some "old geezer" rather than the younger streamers coming up also?

Maybe the streaming industry is here to stay and maybe it's here to stay and these are the only goldrush days - either way I say good luck to people who can hack it and are wiley enough to do it full time for a profit. But if it were me I would be treating it as a temporary fun thing that I'd be doing to give me another string to my bow when looking at other related job opportunities. Like a gap year or backpacking around the world.

It's quite sad
I wonder what their families think when they see what they are doing and how they are doing it.

I like to watch dota (it's like watching sports, dota has endless amounts of entertaining plays + it's quite helpful to watch from a player's perspective to learn from it, else all I'd watch would be beyond the summit commentators) but there's only a few streamers I can watch because most of them have the sounds and the 'thx for the donation' spam and the cynical attempts at engaging their chat ( "hi -picks random name from his chat- how are you doing" every 2 minutes)

I remember a week or two ago when gta5 came out and I wanted to see how it looked on pc
So I clicked on a stream linked on gaf in the gta thread and the first 2 minutes had the guy driving around, and then he stopped playing completely and was just talking about some 'subscriber contest' or some shit for the next 5 minutes until I turned it off.
Idk how these people have any viewers, who wants to watch that shit.

I just can't wait for this bubble to pop
Twitch turned to absolute dogshit in like 2 or 3 years. Used to be cool and chill, you could actually talk with people in chat or the streamer
Now it's an fucking meme shitfest, donation begging, annoying sounds and animations anytime somebody donates or subs (SUB HYPE LOLOLOLOL XDDDD WELCOME TO THE AWESOME PEOPLE CLUB YOU ROCK LOL)

People say speedrunners are bearable, at least half of them are the same breed of cancerous shits, just check SRL

The fucking worst is people including the chat on the screen. Like what the fuck, if I want to read the chat I can just open it, if I want to hide it because it's garbage I don't want it on the screen, geez.

Also the irony in this clip is great :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If2Jo9aSo80

Goes on a raging rant about somebody in the esports scene, stops every 30 seconds to beg for donations or thank people who donate (add to this the fucking awful jingle at every donation)

UnrealEck

It used to be good when it was JTV and shortly after it became Twitch. It just gradually went down and down and downhill quicker and quicker.
Now everyone has paypal donation image links and 'buy my shit' image links to gaming related webstores.
It's gotten to the point where it's so well known as a means of making easy money that there's been people faking disabilities to get donations and people moving from adult cam sites to Twitch for better money.

martino

I mostly follow speedrunning (mostly ds/bb one) and i don't feel that because they actually deliver huge gaming performance.
maybe it's the exception

Top Bottom