• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Okay, I'm convinced that Last Exit to Springfield is the best episode ever. We have:

-SO LONG DENTAL PLAN
-"THE JAPANESE? THOSE SANDAL WEARING GOLDFISH TENDERS?"
-"first thing tomorrow morning I'm gonna punch Lenny in the back of the head"
-Lisa's Beatles hallucination
-THE BIG BOOK OF BRITISH SMILES
-"Wheres my burrito! Wheres my burrito!"
-"All opposed?" ME

And soooooooo many more. Perfect episode :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm kinda partial to season 7. Can't ever decide between Bart Sells His Soul, Summer of 4ft2 and Home Sweet Home-diddly dum doodily as my all time favorite episode.

Homer: Okay, okay, don't panic. To find Flanders, I just have to think like Flanders!
Brain: I'm a big four-eyed lame-o and I wear the same stupid sweater every day, and-
Homer: The Springfield River!

The perfect joke. some guy wrote about it at length http://www.duffgardens.net/?go=editorials/Joke1

Most of season 7 is brilliant. Being fans first, Oakley and Weinstein riffed on the types of episodes they loved (s3), but still came up with something that felt different. It's like s3 era episodes infused with the wackiness of s5-6. Love it.

Anth0ny said:
Okay, I'm convinced that Last Exit to Springfield is the best episode ever. We have:

-SO LONG DENTAL PLAN
-"All opposed?" ME

But it also has the horrible song Lisa plays on her guitar, which knocks it down a notch. I always cringe. I think it's because they just repeat the "and they march day and night ..." sentence over and over again.

Then again, it has an awesome reference to the grinch.

Creamium said:
I'm kinda partial to season 7. Can't ever decide between Bart Sells His Soul, Summer of 4ft2 and Home Sweet Home-diddly dum doodily as my all time favorite episode.

Homer: Okay, okay, don't panic. To find Flanders, I just have to think like Flanders!
Brain: I'm a big four-eyed lame-o and I wear the same stupid sweater every day, and-
Homer: The Springfield River!

The perfect joke. some guy wrote about it at length http://www.duffgardens.net/?go=editorials/Joke1

Most of season 7 is brilliant. Being fans first, Oakley and Weinstein riffed on the types of episodes they loved (s3), but still came up with something that felt different. It's like s3 era episodes infused with the wackiness of s5-6. Love it.

The guy makes a good point about the writers being pretty damn bold to use this joke as a plot point. It's absolutely nonsensical and yet no one ever questions it as somehow being invalid or ruining the progression of the episode.

Circle of Willis said:
The guy makes a good point about the writers being pretty damn bold to use this joke as a plot point. It's absolutely nonsensical and yet no one ever questions it as somehow being invalid or ruining the progression of the episode.
That's because it isn't a trick the writers pulled all the time. Because of that, it doesn't seem so "cheap", and it's also brilliantly done. It seems more like the writers really wanted to make this joke rather than find a solution for the plot hole (all though it's the latter most probably :)).

The analyzing is a bit over the top, but all in all I agree. I always chuckle when that sequence come on.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
btw I think I posted these in some other simpsons thread long ago, but since this has become somewhat of the official thread that everyone checks regularly, here they are again: links to the two Q&A's Oakley & Weinstein did for nohomers. Some of this material has been mentioned on the commentaries at some point, but it's great to see these guys answer fan questions.

http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?t=51876
http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?t=53574

maybe some of you were unaware of this, enjoy the read

From Lisa vs Malibu Stacy

Boy: All right! I've been waiting nine years to get my frisbee back!
[He throws it, but it goes right back inside]
[moaning] Aaaww!

(Wish I had a video or screencap...)

beefspring said:
From Lisa vs Malibu Stacy

Boy: All right! I've been waiting nine years to get my frisbee back!
[He throws it, but it goes right back inside]
[moaning] Aaaww!

(Wish I had a video or screencap...)

2jcyf0x.gif

New Avatar!
lwE3t.jpg

AC!D

Anth0ny said:

-SO LONG DENTAL PLAN
-"All opposed?" ME

Homer: Who is it?
Goon: Goons.
Homer: Who?
Goon: Hired goons. :D

It's up there, but nothing beats You Only Live Twice

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
AC!D said:

"By the way, Homer. What's your least favorite country, Italy or France?"
"France. "
"Heh-heh. Nobody ever says Italy."

AC!D said:

Something I never got in that episode. Homer keeps saying "hired goons?" in a manner that indicates he doesn't understand or there's some double meaning to it. is there something i'm missing in that scene?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DeaconKnowledge said:
Something I never got in that episode. Homer keeps saying "hired goons?" in a manner that indicates he doesn't understand or there's some double meaning to it. is there something i'm missing in that scene?

initially when they knock and announce themselves as hired goons, he says it because he's puzzled or surprised, like, "why are there hired goons at my house, and who sent them?" when he says it later to burns, it's to emphasize that he's so dense that he's already forgotten or hasn't processed that he was accosted by hired goons.

aka, homer is dumb, but conveyed in a very funny way.

Anth0ny said:

-SO LONG DENTAL PLAN
-"All opposed?" ME

The Simpsons Archive named it the best episode ever.

Messi

What is the name and season number of the beach house poindexter episode.
Also what season and ep is the one where homer has Maggie pics all over his wall?

What happened in the skinner ep that you all seem to hate?

Marvie_3

Banned
Messi said:
What is the name and season number of the beach house poindexter episode.
Also what season and ep is the one where homer has Maggie pics all over his wall?
Season 7 - Summer of 4 Ft. 2
Season 6 - And Maggie Makes Three

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
The Simpsons Archive named it the best episode ever.
Forgot the, Smithers, why do I think Simpson is not the Brilliant Tactician I think he was.
*Homer doing the Curly shuffle on the ground*

Grug

Selma's Choice is such an underrated episode.

Surly: Hey, Surly only answers to one person... Surly!
Selma: Oh... sorry Surly.
Surly: Shut up.

Gooster said:
Mini nerd rant:

Was watching an episode last night where the Simpsons, Flanderses, pretty much the principal characters go to Israel, and every gag just made me cringe (CAROLINA PANTHERS CREDIT CARD?? WHOA. I CAN RELATE BECAUSE I WATCH FOOTBALL!). The entire episode was just Sacha Baron Cohen being an animated idiot for 30 minutes. Ugh. I'm usually not THAT annoyed by post-2000 Simpsons except for "That '90s Show," but Christ.
this is honestly the only episode that have turned off halfway through.

edit: speaking of Last Exit to Springfield, does anyone have a gif of Smithers and Burns working the plant themselves, and they prance at eachother, lock arms, spin eachother around, and keep prancing?

Ryck

cool_dude_2049 said:
Be honest. Who here has tried doing this once when they were a kid?

I know I did.

doing it on the carpet was a bad idea too. rug burn ftw
I used to do it all the time when I'd get drunk, people loved it.

Blader5489 said:

That's my automatic response for when something great happens in my life. I've used it for getting a new job/promotion/bonus, occasional payday <with Gold Homer encrusted in jewels laughing for good measure>

DeaconKnowledge said:

I think that's the joke.

*insert "that's the joke" gif*

DeaconKnowledge said:
There's no double meaning, it's just Homer being dumb. It's just a brilliant little joke and it's totally quotable.

I guess the simplest form of understanding the joke is that Homer asks who's at the door, and the hired goons actually answer "hired goons." Normally they'd stay silent or lie, right? But Homer actually answers the door casually when he's told hired goons are on the other side.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
anyone got any screen shots from Patty and Selma at the DMV where they are telling someone "some days we don't let the line move at all" "yea we call those days weekdays"

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
painey said:
not only is that an awful episode, but they already did an episode with the name parody in season 11 take my wife, sleaze (which included the shitty motorcycle fight)
Hahaha - when I read the "Brake my Wife..." title i just assumed it was the one with the shitty motorcycle fight. (and John Goodman?) awful.

Gui_PT

JodyAnthony said:
it is from this current season, "The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed"

Thanks. That was bad =\

They just bombarded me with awful jokes one after another with no sense of timing =\

And Sacha Baron Cohen's character was just annoying.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Any chance somebody good looping .gif the money fight between Smithers and Burns (sorry i forget the episode, they were tossing wads of cash at each other) and just like... stick Iwata and Reggie's heads on them?

AC!D

Cindres said:
Any chance somebody good looping .gif the money fight between Smithers and Burns (sorry i forget the episode, they were tossing wads of cash at each other) and just like... stick Iwata and Reggie's heads on them?

I'm pretty sure that's from Last Exit to Springfield as well! When Smithers and Burns run the plant on their own before being chase by the robots? To the sound of the 'Land of Chocolate' music? :D

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Cindres said:

rjSVW.gif

no photoshopped heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom