• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behind the Laughter is easily my most hated episode of The Simpsons. Granted, I haven't watched a new episode in over half a decade, but I don't think that would change.

My brain fucking explodes whenever people suggest it should have been the series finale. It's so fucking ugly.

Darklord

Banned
It's fun listening to some of the commentaries on the DVD's. The 138th spectacular was a good one. They were flat out saying how much they hated the first clip show but FOX forced them to make it and they were only allowed 3 minutes of new footage which is why a lot of the new scenes in that episode are stills. It was sad hearing there might have been a Troy McClure live action film and Phil Hartman really wanted to do it. That would have been so funny/dumb. The Simpsons truly died when he did.

The clip show gave us the all time best april fools dialogue of all time at least -
You taaaaaaaalk better than you fool
You couldn't fool your mother on the foolinest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine.

Dishwalla

Banned
By the time Behind the Laughter came along the damage to the show was already done. Several episodes, like Bart to the Future, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge, Saddlesore Galactica, and Kill the Alligator and Run, all came before it and all demonstrated how fucked up the show had become. God damn, Season Eleven sucked balls.

To me, Season Seven is the last truly great season(even though there are some glaring flaws; see Lisa the Vegetarian), with Seasons Eight and Nine being alright but with quite a few instances of the show being in trouble. Seasons 10-12 are an embarrassment, the show got slightly better in Seasons 13-15, and then after that I just gave up.

lunchtoast

2-5 were the best, and had several episodes that dealt with real problems. After that, while still great until 7 moved on to more wackiness except for a few episodes.

AAequal

Banned
lcyAw.jpg

Lisa: I'm supposed to talk to you about proposition 305.
QhE4C.jpg

Homer: Mooching war widows...

Razorskin

----- ------
By the time Behind the Laughter came along the damage to the show was already done. Several episodes, like Bart to the Future, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge, Saddlesore Galactica, and Kill the Alligator and Run, all came before it and all demonstrated how fucked up the show had become. God damn, Season Eleven sucked balls.

To me, Season Seven is the last truly great season(even though there are some glaring flaws; see Lisa the Vegetarian), with Seasons Eight and Nine being alright but with quite a few instances of the show being in trouble. Seasons 10-12 are an embarrassment, the show got slightly better in Seasons 13-15, and then after that I just gave up.

It's still good, it's still good!

Wat?!

Marvie_3

Banned
Behind the Laughter is easily my most hated episode of The Simpsons. Granted, I haven't watched a new episode in over half a decade, but I don't think that would change.

My brain fucking explodes whenever people suggest it should have been the series finale. It's so fucking ugly.
Exactly.
Yeah, Season 11 is a total pile of shit except for about 3 episodes: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner, E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt), Alone Again, Natura-Diddily.

There are a few subplots that are way better than the main plot in several episodes though.

UberTag

Exactly.

Yeah, Season 11 is a total pile of shit except for about 3 episodes: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner, E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt), Alone Again, Natura-Diddily.

There are a few subplots that are way better than the main plot in several episodes though.
And one of those three episodes killed off Maude and was the defacto lead-in to the awful Praiseland episode.

Season 11 was godawful tripe. Even compared with current seasons of the show. And that's saying something (although I did enjoy that season's Treehouse of Horror episode).

Salmonax

To me, Season Seven is the last truly great season(even though there are some glaring flaws; see Lisa the Vegetarian).
One of my all-time favorite bits of Simpsons dialogue is in this episode.

Homer: Marge? Since I'm not talking to Lisa, would you please ask her to pass me the syrup?

Marge: Please pass your father the syrup, Lisa.

Lisa: Bart, tell Dad I will only pass the syrup if it won't be used on any meat product.

Bart: You dunkin' your sausages in that syrup homeboy?

Homer: Marge, tell Bart I just want to drink a nice glass of syrup like I do every morning.

Marge: Tell him yourself, you're ignoring Lisa, not Bart.

Homer: Bart, thank your mother for pointing that out.

Marge: Homer, you're not not-talking to me and secondly I heard what you said.

Homer: Lisa, tell your mother to get off my case.

Bart: Uhhh, dad, Lisa's the one you're not talking to.

Homer: Bart, go to your room.

Stet

Banned
It's a pretty decent parody of the muppet show. I thought it was ok...

Except it highlighted all the reasons why Katy Perry shouldn't have been on the Muppet Show even though it was trying to parody the fact that they told her she couldn't be.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Season 8 had all three of my favorite episodes.

"You Only Move Twice"
"El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer (The Mysterious Voyage of Homer)"
"Homer Vs. The Eighteenth Amendment"

I don't know episode names really but I agree with Kill the Alligator and Run. I remember watching that episode wondering what happened. Little did I know I would prefer that episode over almost any other episode that came after it. It's just weird because I remember sitting on the couch watching the episode with my brother and we both agreed it was a weird episode. Had no idea what would come soon after. :p

But hey, I'm good with owning Seasons 1-13. I find each season has more good episodes than bad. I know a lot don't like S1 but the first episode I ever saw was Bart the General and that's when I fell in love with the show.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
And one of those three episodes killed off Maude and was the defacto lead-in to the awful Praiseland episode.

I didn't care for the episode itself, but I can forgive the whole thing just based on this one scene:

Disco Stu: Frank Sinatra?! You're in disco heaven too?

Frank Sinatra: For me, this is hell. Ya dig, pally?

*continues dancing*

Such a beautiful scene. :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
*after seeing Flanders' as man of the century in Time Magazine*

"Must have been a pretty slow century."

Stet

Banned
I don't know episode names really but I agree with Kill the Alligator and Run. I remember watching that episode wondering what happened. Little did I know I would prefer that episode over almost any other episode that came after it. It's just weird because I remember sitting on the couch watching the episode with my brother and we both agreed it was a weird episode. Had no idea what would come soon after. :p

But hey, I'm good with owning Seasons 1-13. I find each season has more good episodes than bad. I know a lot don't like S1 but the first episode I ever saw was Bart the General and that's when I fell in love with the show.

Season 13 also had the Brazil episode, which was the last great "THE SIMPSONS ARE GOING TO _________" episode.

Or maybe I'm just thinking of the line "I am afraid...he has already gone."

Season 13 also had the Brazil episode, which was the last great "THE SIMPSONS ARE GOING TO _________" episode.

Or maybe I'm just thinking of the line "I am afraid...he has already gone."
I still remember when that episode first came out and the "our money sure is gay" line caused a bit of a stir.

Just watched the Season 6 Halloween episode this morning. The sub-story with homer and the time traveling toaster is so perfect.

"Just remember the advice from my father on my wedding night..."
"Son, if you ever go back in time, don't touch ANYTHING, as the smallest change can have dire consequences for the future."

Possibly the single greatest piece of wedding advice ever given.

Clydefrog

Just watched the Season 6 Halloween episode this morning. The sub-story with homer and the time traveling toaster is so perfect.

"Son, if you ever go back in time, don't touch ANYTHING, as the smallest change can have dire consequences for the future."

LOL :D

l1geh

Banned
Soemtimes I feel like reminding myself why I have stopped, so I just watched the first minute of S23E17.

Homer just said "Thank God it´s TGIF".

I turned it off.

123rl

I wish, I wish, I hadn't killed that fish...

I love the running gag that Willy gets brutally murdered in every storyline. When it was shown on Sky One and BBC those scenes were always removed. I didn't even know about them until I bought the DVD years later

I love the running gag that Willy gets brutally murdered in every storyline. When it was shown on Sky One and BBC those scenes were always removed. I didn't even know about them until I bought the DVD years later

Buying the DVD boxsets was such an eye-opener, I couldn't believe how much Sky/BBC used to cut out of the episodes. Having the DVDs was like owning brand new directors cut editions given how much content was suddenly restored.

Buying the DVD boxsets was such an eye-opener, I couldn't believe how much Sky/BBC used to cut out of the episodes. Having the DVDs was like owning brand new directors cut editions given how much content was suddenly restored.

They cut that out?

I love you english people and would like to live in your country one day but man is your tv screwed up.

I'm pretty sure I remember Willy getting killed by an axe in the back and I don't have the DVDs. Unless, there's an uncensored even more brutal version?

They cut that out?

I love you english people and would like to live in your country one day but man is your tv screwed up.

Heh, this is going back to the 1990s when they used to cut content. Most of the time it was for language and sexual references, though that one episode of Halloween of Horror was edited for Willie's deaths. Things are a bit more relaxed now.

I'm pretty sure I remember Willy getting killed by an axe in the back and I don't have the DVDs. Unless, there's an uncensored even more brutal version?

In the original tv edit, you see him getting an axe in the back, but I believe there is a short segment just after that which was cut.

They also cut out his death scene where he is axed in the back by Maggie, and I think in the Nightmare Cafeteria segment they also cut out the part where he comments "Ach, I'm really bad at this".

I might be mistaken, but there were definitely parts in the dvd cut that were not on the Sky One cuts 'Back in ye day".

I still have a stronger memory of many episodes from watching them in syndication in America than I do from their debut broadcast or DVD watching, so I kind of know what you British folks mean. As I've been going through seasons 4-6 these past two weeks, I've been surprised by how many scenes felt like things I'd never seen before.

legend166

I'm giving a speech at my brother's wedding next month.

I'm seriously considering including this line.

Natetan

Homer: Marge! How many kids do we have? Oh, no time to count, I'll just
estimate! Uh... nine!
Marge: Homer, you know we don't h--
Homer: Shut up, shut up! If I don't hear you it's not illegal! OK, I need
some deductions, deductions... ah!! Business gifts!
[Homer grabs the boat painting from above the couch and hands it to
Marge.]
Here you go, keep using nuclear power!
Marge: Homer! I painted that for you!
Homer: OK, Marge, if anyone asks, you require twenty four hour nursing care,
Lisa's a clergyman, Maggie is seven people, and Bart was wounded in
Vietnam!
Bart: Cool!

So I saw The Bob Next Door last night and apparently this is a well received modern episode? I dunno, there was one or two nice gags (the Flanders bit at the end in particular) but the rest of it seemed really weak. Ridiculous Face/Off premise and a bunch of retreading of ideas from earlier Bob episodes that felt more like a pathetic attempt to say "hey! Remember when this happened in a previous episode? Weren't those good times?" than homage with the rake stepping and the recycling of the "Bart stalling for time until the police arrive" conclusion.

The-Simpsons-Season-3-episode-1.jpg

Reaction face from a classic episode that accurately summarises not only my feelings for the episode itself but also the fact that it's held up as an example of quality modern episodes to make up for bringing that stuff into this otherwise super fun happy thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom