• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

Blader5489 said:
My favorite scene from my favorite episode:

coz7ps

"A solar eclipse. The cosmic ballet...goes on."

Anybody want to switch seats?

BitchTits

2817qj8.jpg
2lswp6q.jpg
29n84ep.jpg

2wm1ick.jpg
20qkg1z.jpg
2csjm1x.jpg

if50li.jpg
4lm3iq.jpg
207xs1x.jpg

2heheti.jpg
34gsdmv.jpg
jj2r2p.jpg

24wrhww.jpg
2jdezra.jpg
35arcrs.jpg

w2bm95.jpg
2uzxtzt.jpg
snp5y9.jpg

"I swear I don't know where the miners hid it!", "Maybe THIS will loosen your tongue!"

2cegsoj.jpg

Just do it!.... Examine your scalp for ringworm :lol

<3 Classic Simpsons.

bengraven

They spent 10 years finding a standardized art template and now follow it.

I guess their mistakes are what gave it charm. Destroyed by their own success, GAF?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
bengraven said:
They spent 10 years finding a standardized art template and now follow it.

I guess their mistakes are what gave it charm. Destroyed by their own success, GAF?

in a sense i'd say yes. you could even say the same thing about the development of the characters: small, one-off moments for characters that brought big laughs were exaggerated until they were the norm and not the exception. in short, even the success of many of the comedic moments ultimately led to the destruction of what was the heart of the show.

beelzebozo said:
in a sense i'd say yes. you could even say the same thing about the development of the characters: small, one-off moments for characters that brought big laughs were exaggerated until they were the norm and not the exception. in short, even the success of many of the comedic moments ultimately led to the destruction of what was the heart of the show.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I remember thinking awhile back which minor characters are going to get whole episodes based on them.

I know he isn't a resident of Springfield but at least Hank Scorpio has been kept away. I have a feeling if he ever comes back, it just won't be as good.

29n84ep.jpg

One of my favorite Simpsons quotes comes from this Episode.

Bart: (Looks into Milhouse's glasses to see reflection) *gasp* I'm a nerd!

Milhouse: (The opposite) *gasp* So am I!

VGChampion said:
I know exactly what you're talking about. I remember thinking awhile back which minor characters are going to get whole episodes based on them.

I know he isn't a resident of Springfield but at least Hank Scorpio has been kept away. I have a feeling if he ever comes back, it just won't be as good.

Like when they nearly ruined the Frank Grimes thing by bringing him up more than once in subsequent episodes, and then even had an episode based around his son trying to take revenge?

Even some of the minor characters that would have made great single-episode jokes, such as the Crazy Cat Lady, were ruined by trying to make them regular characters and giving them a backstory. Even the longtime regular characters such as Moe have been ruined by overuse. There's no restraint in writing these characters anymore.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
"yoink!"

Its amazing how such a minor sound Homer made in one episode has become so rooted in common language.

BitchTits

I haven't seen a new episode in years, but they did stop doing dream sequences and the reduced-pallette/tone stuff for a while, did they bring those back?

Blader

Cymbal Head said:
McGarnagle.

McGarnigle: You gotta tell 'em what you saw, Billy.
Little Billy: But I'm scared, McGarnigle.
McGarnigle: Do it for me, Billy. For McGarnigle.
Little Billy: Okay... for you... McGarnigle.

[the scene changes]

Police Chief: Well McGarnigle. Billy is dead! They slit his throat from ear to ear!
McGarnigle: Hey! I'm tryin' to eat lunch here!

BitchTits

Blader5489 said:
McGarnigle: You gotta tell 'em what you saw, Billy.
Little Billy: But I'm scared, McGarnigle.
McGarnigle: Do it for me, Billy. For McGarnigle.
Little Billy: Okay... for you... McGarnigle.

[the scene changes]

Police Chief: Well McGarnigle. Billy is dead! They slit his throat from ear to ear!
McGarnigle: Hey! I'm tryin' to eat lunch here!
:lol :lol

Aztec_82

My favorite episode is the one where Bart cries wolf too many times. A Timberwolf shows up at the school and picks on Bart. Then Willie ends up beating the crap out of the Timberwolf.

Willie ends up saying something along the lines of
"Don't feel bad for losing wolfie, I was fighting wolves when you were at your mother's tit"

And in that same episode Home blames everything he does wrong on some guy name Tibor.

Great, great episode.

Aztec_82 said:
My favorite episode is the one where Bart cries wolf too many times. A Timberwolf shows up at the school and picks on Bart. Then Willie ends up beating the crap out of the Timberwolf.

Willie ends up saying something along the lines of
"Don't feel bad for losing wolfie, I was fighting wolves when you were at your mother's tit"

And in that same episode Home blames everything he does wrong on some guy name Tibor.

Great, great episode.
:lol and when smithers is showing marge to her office, 'tibor misplaced the key to your office, but you can jimmy it open with a credit card'

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
refreshZ said:
One of my favorite moments; where Homer's like, "Awwwww but the little guy hasn't done anything yet!"

And then they leave and you hear "WAAAAAAH" and Homer's starts groaning :lol

bengraven

beelzebozo said:

That's what I'm thinking too. In the end they accomplished what they set out to do, but lost some of the charm.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
I love the animation of the camera swaying to the movement of the helicopter from this scene:

picture1bfee0.png

"This is hour fifty-seven of our live, 'round the clock coverage of the Simpson estate. Remember to tune in tonight at 8 o'clock for highlights of tonight's visual, including when the garbage man came, and when Marge put the cat out—possibly because it was harassed, we don't know."

Someone mentioned Hank Scorpio before; his maniacal laugh behind the flamethrower was really, really great, too.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Not sure if it was posted yet, but this is probably my absolute favourite classic Simpsons moments.

n1ue4x.jpg

HERE'S YOUR CROWN, YOUR MAJESTY!

:lol :lol :lol

Unbelievably classic.

Similar style with similar results: "I'll see to it you don't get apricot one."

jett

D-Member
Blader5489 said:
"It's in Revelations, people!"

"Kent Brockman: At the risk of editorializing, these women are guilty, and must be dealt with in a harsh and brutal fashion. Otherwise, their behavior could incite other women leading to anarchy of biblical proportions.
[pause, pounds desk]
Kent Brockman: It's in "Revelations" people!!! "

:lol I love the look on his face as he says the last line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom