• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

mrkgoo

It's worse. Now I have to click Apps > Update, rather than just Apps.

Plus, you can't read the "what's new".

edit: yes, you can. You have to click the App.

I thought I'd like it better, but yeah, clicking on apps -> updates is kinda janky. That said, it probably remembers teh tab, so it's just clicking on 'apps' anyway (I don't really look at all my apps most of the time anyway).

ALso, the new "what's new" pane is coloured dynamically like the albums - not sure if like.

mrkgoo

When I try to download new apps, iTunes prompts me to put in my password. When I do, it loops back and brings up the "sign in to iTunes store" dialogue box again and again.

I've tried resetting warnings and cache in the preferences menu, but to no avail.

If I sign out and back in again, it's fine for a while. Also, it seems fine after I restart iTunes. Anyone else getting such an issue and any ways you might know how to resolve this? (if it doesn't stick after the app restart).

mrkgoo

I just noticed that the player position marker in itunes11 is different...isn't it? No longer the little silver metallic circle?

A sign of iveOS?

edit: oh wait, maybe not. Circle is still on volume.

Kammie

Downloaded the update. Finally! Album art is back in Song view. They've made the program operate a LOT snappier, too. Scrolling feels great and lag-free.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Question.

Is anyone else having issues with Album Artwork being spit out onto your devices with really low res art work?

I've tried everything I could so far. I've deleted the album artwork from the Tags, dumped the album from itunes and re-ripped it, found proper 600x600 album artwork from albumartexchange.com (the iTunes standard size) and used that as replacement.

Yet whenever I go ahead and resync my phone and I go check out the Art it's still fuzzy. I've even tried getting the album art from Apple directly through the Get Album Artwork function and even that's fuzzy!

If I know I'm not the only one then I'll at least know I'm not doing something wrong here. I just can't figure this out.

GWX

GAF, is scrolling in artist view really janky when there are multiple albums being shown for you? On OS X Mountain Lion, by the way. I think the artist view is the best, but the jankiness is really getting in my nerves.

Kabuto

iTunes 11.0.5 got released today and I just downloaded it. I don't know if it's my internet or the update but iTunes is FAST now. The store loads everything up near instantly. Anyone else noticing this or is it just me?

Kammie

iTunes 11.0.5 got released today and I just downloaded it. I don't know if it's my internet or the update but iTunes is FAST now. The store loads everything up near instantly. Anyone else noticing this or is it just me?
The store has always been and still is pretty slow for me. But what I'm surprised to notice is that the program now opens in 3 seconds instead of 4-5 like it did on the previous version. I have a nearly 22k song library, so this is pretty fast.

Anything in particular you want to know? I stopped using it recently (waiting to see what happens with iTunes Radio vs Spotify), but I might be able to answer specific questions.

How easy is it to set up? Do you think it's worth it?

I actually forgot about this service and just realized its existence when I kept seeing the Cloud/Download icon next to a few of my purchased songs when I moved to iOS 7.

I really hate the look of Spotify so I'm thinking of using iTunes Match and supplementing that with Rdio.

Number45

Hmm, I haven't had any issues with it on my phone since they resolved the delete bug. Does exactly what I want it to do personally. My only slight complaints are 1) that I can't control access to it, because there are other iPods in the house that used it as well; 2) occasionally the cloud version changes to the clean version (which I get around by deleting from the cloud and importing back in - I've only had to do this for one album).

No issues with setting it up. Got my library as I wanted it on the PC, matched it, then went to the phone and downloaded what I wanted on there.

royalan

Are there any impressions of iTunes Match?

I had iTunes Match for a year.

Canceled my subscription.

Easily ranks among the worst services I have ever paid for.

First of all, nobody should be paying for this in 2013. So many companies offer music matching services for free at this point.

Secondly, it's buggy as all hell. Oftentimes it would take hours for the iTunes Match to recognize that I've added new music to iTunes, upload it to the cloud, and have it show up in my phone.

Also, iTunes' live-streaming is complete crap. The slowest shit I have ever used on my phone. I have Sprint 3G in Philadelphia. I can have my music streaming via Spotify at 320 kbit/s and only experience a pause or two every few songs. Soundcloud streaming at whatever quality it is I won't experience ANY lag. Pulling up a song I don't already having downloaded to my phone via iTunes Match? Extreme lag. Songs will just stop after 5-7 seconds. And it'll take upwards of 5 minutes for a single song to download. Completely unusable as a live-streaming alternative.

Unless you have a compulsive need to support all of Apple's services, I would strongly advise not paying for iTunes Match. Frankly, I think it's criminal that Apple's even charging for this shit in 2013 when Amazon and Google provide the SAME service for their users with more features, much more reliably, and FREE.

I had iTunes Match for a year.

Canceled my subscription.

Easily ranks among the worst services I have ever paid for.

First of all, nobody should be paying for this in 2013. So many companies offer music matching services for free at this point.

Secondly, it's buggy as all hell. Oftentimes it would take hours for the iTunes Match to recognize that I've added new music to iTunes, upload it to the cloud, and have it show up in my phone.

Also, iTunes' live-streaming is complete crap. The slowest shit I have ever used on my phone. I have Sprint 3G in Philadelphia. I can have my music streaming via Spotify at 320 kbit/s and only experience a pause or two every few songs. Soundcloud streaming at whatever quality it is I won't experience ANY lag. Pulling up a song I don't already having downloaded to my phone via iTunes Match? Extreme lag. Songs will just stop after 5-7 seconds. And it'll take upwards of 5 minutes for a single song to download. Completely unusable as a live-streaming alternative.

Unless you have a compulsive need to support all of Apple's services, I would strongly advise not paying for iTunes Match. Frankly, I think it's criminal that Apple's even charging for this shit in 2013 when Amazon and Google provide the SAME service for their users with more features, much more reliably, and FREE.

Well dang.

I wouldn't even have to pay for it if fucking Google would release that Music app.

royalan

Well dang.

I wouldn't even have to pay for it if fucking Google would release that Music app.

Yeah, the only knock against Google music, which is so far the absolute standard.

But iTunes Match, there's isn't a single fucking area in which I can say it's NOT a fucking ripoff, even at just $24.99 a year. Just easily one of the most godawful experiences I've ever had with a paid service.

hirokazu

What the fuck have they done with podcast management with iTunes 11.1?

It's deleted all of the played episodes of some podcasts that I wanted to keep.

It shows all of the played episodes that I've already deleted after listening to them. Hundreds of them.

If I want it to not show the ones I've already played and deleted, I have to unsubscribe. If I want it to show me new podcasts, I have to subscribe. I can no longer have it both ways.

There's no way of knowing which podcasts I have listened to and deleted and which I've yet to download and listen to. They all look the same.

The available options when you right click a podcast is arbitrary and varies for no reason. Some of the allow me to delete episodes, most don't. Some let me select "Allow auto-delete", some let me select "Do not allow auto-delete", some don't have those options at all.

Well fuck you Apple, you've completely messed up my podcast management and it's not worth the effort to attempt to salvage it.

mrkgoo

What the fuck have they done with podcast management with iTunes 11.1?

It's deleted all of the played episodes of some podcasts that I wanted to keep.

It shows all of the played episodes that I've already deleted after listening to them. Hundreds of them.

If I want it to not show the ones I've already played and deleted, I have to unsubscribe. If I want it to show me new podcasts, I have to subscribe. I can no longer have it both ways.

There's no way of knowing which podcasts I have listened to and deleted and which I've yet to download and listen to. They all look the same.

The available options when you right click a podcast is arbitrary and varies for no reason. Some of the allow me to delete episodes, most don't. Some let me select "Allow auto-delete", some let me select "Do not allow auto-delete", some don't have those options at all.

Well fuck you Apple, you've completely messed up my podcast management and it's not worth the effort to attempt to salvage it.

I was in a similar boat.

Since they updated to allow iCloud syncing or some such, I fell into an area where I was comfortable. I would maintain subscriptions on my Mac, and keep files I didn't want synced, but wanted around there, but kept only current ones on my iPhone.

One update messed everything up and changed everything to unplayed. A reinstall of iTunes fixed it.

Then iTunes 11.1 came around, and I foolishly clicked on "sync subscriptions". It then deleted all the subscriptions I had on my Mac that weren't on the iPhone, thus deleting the files to trash.

I guess ultimately, it's not a big deal, but like you it wasn't really worth the effort to salvage, so instead, I'm just enjoying my cleaned up podcasts area :p

wenis

Has anyone figured out how to move the Album Artwork cache from the C: drive to the drive iTunes is actually installed in?

I have iTunes and my entire media library held on a separate drive so that my C: stays free from the bloat, but for whatever reason iTunes wants to recreate the Album Artwork on the C: Drive whenever I open the program up.

I've already pointed itunes to my media in the preferences, but that hasn't changed anything on the Artwork side.

Anyone else find a way to change this and keep it permanent?

Kammie

Has anyone figured out how to move the Album Artwork cache from the C: drive to the drive iTunes is actually installed in?

I have iTunes and my entire media library held on a separate drive so that my C: stays free from the bloat, but for whatever reason iTunes wants to recreate the Album Artwork on the C: Drive whenever I open the program up.

I've already pointed itunes to my media in the preferences, but that hasn't changed anything on the Artwork side.

Anyone else find a way to change this and keep it permanent?
It involves a little bit of work, but I did this using symbolic links (Windows thinks a folder is in a certain spot, but you're actually linking to a different location). The reason I did this is because I wanted album art to load faster, so I set up a RAMdisk so all the artwork loads off my RAM. Blazing fast now. Don't have an SSD, obviously, but it's probably faster anyway.

Edit: Thinking about it, your problem is you probably have your library file on the C drive. Just move it somewhere else along with the whole iTunes library folder. Open iTunes while holding Shift and it'll let you select the library location.

wenis

Thanks dude! that totally worked. Good to have that bloat off of my C drive now, free'd up like 5gb of space.

Top Bottom