• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

iTunes finally supports WASAPI:

VlgrVe4.png

As opposed to? What is the advantage? Was it using some crusty old QuickTime port before?

Megasoum

Banned
I have a question. I got an ipad recently and I've been using an iPhone for 2 years now.

I noticed that if I download a new app on the iPad it will automatically install on the phone too (and vice versa). Is there anyway to stop that? My phone is a work phone so I really don't care for all the games I'm downloading on my iPad.

I have a question. I got an ipad recently and I've been using an iPhone for 2 years now.

I noticed that if I download a new app on the iPad it will automatically install on the phone too (and vice versa). Is there anyway to stop that? My phone is a work phone so I really don't care for all the games I'm downloading on my iPad.

Settings > App Store > Turn off automatic downloads for 'Apps'

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
iTunes or iOS lately, I'm never sure which side is having problems with what, for some reason my Playlists on my iPhone no longer update, but I don't know if it is iOS 6.1 that screwed that up or an iTunes update.

And now iTunes doesn't update the "checked" songs in the album view (making the song dark or light) unless I open and close the album, which just gets annoying going through and then having to keep checking, anyone else's iTunes doing this on 11.0.2 or know a way that might fix it?

Number45

So, randomly, iTunes Match appears to have replaced some of my explicit tracks with clean versions (ripped from CD initially). I'm 99% sure it wasn't like this previously, it seems to have happened now that I've switched iTunes match off.

I still have the initial rip, but it's sitting on my Windows installation at home. Can I just copy that folder to the Mac and add it to the library or do I need to do anything to convert the file/folder?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So, randomly, iTunes Match appears to have replaced some of my explicit tracks with clean versions (ripped from CD initially). I'm 99% sure it wasn't like this previously, it seems to have happened now that I've switched iTunes match off.

I still have the initial rip, but it's sitting on my Windows installation at home. Can I just copy that folder to the Mac and add it to the library or do I need to do anything to convert the file/folder?
It'll copy fine. It's just music. You'll probably have to move it to a USB stick that can be read by both OS' but it'll copy fine.

thomaser

Any way to batch rename track names in itunes for Windows? I have a few thousand tracks that I want to delete the first word from, and the only way of doing it in itunes itself is manually, which is way too slow.

see5harp

Any way to batch rename track names in itunes for Windows? I have a few thousand tracks that I want to delete the first word from, and the only way of doing it in itunes itself is manually, which is way too slow.

Download a third party app like MP3tag.

thomaser

Download a third party app like MP3tag.

Thanks!

Oh, and a couple of other things that's been bothering me about itunes 11...
- After ripping a cd, it always goes straight to album view, not song view like before. Any way to change this?
- Is there ANY way to speed it up? It's so unresponsive that it takes 14 (that's FOURTEEN) seconds just to open the help menu when I click on it. You can imagine how long it takes to change metadata. I have a harddisk dedicated to my music collection. Would it help to get a newer harddisk, or perhaps a raid setup (I have no idea what I'm talking about)?

Need some advice and im not sure if this is the right thread, but i just bought a new laptop and im trying to transfer my playlist from my itouch to the computer. Unfortunately, when I open Itunes it doesnt seem to show the music on my itouch.

Any advice?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Need some advice and im not sure if this is the right thread, but i just bought a new laptop and im trying to transfer my playlist from my itouch to the computer. Unfortunately, when I open Itunes it doesnt seem to show the music on my itouch.

Any advice?
Apple doesnt allow that to prevent piracy. You'll need to transfer the songs from the computer you currently have iTunes set up on, then sync your Touch. Can you set up home sharing?

Apple doesnt allow that to prevent piracy. You'll need to transfer the songs from the computer you currently have iTunes set up on, then sync your Touch. Can you set up home sharing?

I don't have home sharing. What's the best way to transfer the music? Can I copy to a USB then transfer from USB to new laptop?

I've searched, but can't find an answer:

Is there a way to make itunes check for a podcast faster than every hour? Say, change it to half hour? Is there a way to do this in Onyx, MacPilot, or some other hacky way?

Baconbitz

Banned
Is it possible to stop itunes from playing songs that are in the cloud but I haven't actually downloaded w/o turning off itunes match?

FYC

Banned
As of last month, every few days my iTunes library randomly deletes itself and I have to import a backup. Just lost all of my Pink Floyd and a few other CDs I imported a couple of days ago, godfuckingdamnit. Can I sync them back on from my iPod or do I have to go burn them to my PC again?

Also what's the best way to go about making backups?

Edit: Uh, I found all the albums I recently ripped in iTunes > Previous iTunes Library > iTunes Media > Music. Well, I'm not complaining, but I'm confused as hell.

For me 11 was a shitty update because the Miniplayer no longer has easy volume control or the location strip. Just figured out if you make it Mini, then double click the artwork, you get a good shot of the artwork, plus volume control and the location strip all in one! Wish I could make it default to this view when I make it Mini all the time!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For me 11 was a shitty update because the Miniplayer no longer has easy volume control or the location strip. Just figured out if you make it Mini, then double click the artwork, you get a good shot of the artwork, plus volume control and the location strip all in one! Wish I could make it default to this view when I make it Mini all the time!
Are you able to control the volume by scrolling over it? Never tried it since I use iTunes in full screen exclusively.

Mush

Howdy. Just hoping someone can give me a hand here. I'm running 10.7 and I'm unable to find the option to set up remotes. What gives?

kD0szXw.png

Banglish

I hate itunes. What are the alternatives? I really need the ability to create playlists though, so if itunes is the only one can do that.. I'll suck it up. Even though it sucks.

Aurongel

This program is still awful, recently installed windows on a 7200rpm disk after my SSD died for the fourth time (no exaggeration). It never remembers its' window size and always starts in the smallest window it possibly can. Also, typing ANYTHING into the upper right search bar lags the program for a solid 4 seconds.

DominoKid

this would rock.

This program is still awful, recently installed windows on a 7200rpm disk after my SSD died for the fourth time (no exaggeration). It never remembers its' window size and always starts in the smallest window it possibly can. Also, typing ANYTHING into the upper right search bar lags the program for a solid 4 seconds.

It's amazing how bad the program still is on Windows even after the overhaul that came with iTunes 11. Although I think it's clear that Apple is still working on rewriting the code, given the improvements that were made in the 11.0.x updates. At least iTunes has finally divorced itself from the terrible corpse of QuickTime 7 now on Windows.

But it's ridiculous how you basically need a SSD on Windows for iTunes to perform well, and iTunes 11 STILL gets all messed up if you raise the DPI above 100%. Though I think that's still a small part Microsoft's resolution scaling solution to blame.

As of last month, every few days my iTunes library randomly deletes itself and I have to import a backup. Just lost all of my Pink Floyd and a few other CDs I imported a couple of days ago, godfuckingdamnit. Can I sync them back on from my iPod or do I have to go burn them to my PC again?

Also what's the best way to go about making backups?

Edit: Uh, I found all the albums I recently ripped in iTunes > Previous iTunes Library > iTunes Media > Music. Well, I'm not complaining, but I'm confused as hell.

I've been having this exact problem. Restoring all of my music is easy enough, since it's all under one folder, but losing my playlists is a real pain in the ass.

The first time it happened, I was able to export the playlists from my iPhone and restore them to iTunes from there. After it happened again today -- and having spent close to 2 hours finding and restoring tracks the XML file couldn't find for whatever reason, as well as adding new songs -- I tried syncing it to my phone, only to have it tell me that all playlists have been deleted from there as well. It also says my iPhone is synced with another iTunes, which it isn't.

Except, they haven't. My playlists are still on the phone (and all songs are working), but when I try syncing it, iTunes sees no music whatsoever...

Any tips, GAF? I really don't want to rebuild these playlists again -- especially if iTunes is just gonna up and delete everything in a few days anyway!

Hey guys, anybody have any ideas why album art isn't syncing to my iPod?

I have album artwork on like 99% of the songs in my library, and all the songs are syncing fine to my iPod but the artwork is not going with them. It's only going with new songs I buy on either Amazon or iTunes in the last few weeks, older songs have no luck.

Any ideas?

raindoc

I've a problem regarding the "auto sync newest TV show episodes"-feature:
One of my shows just won't sync to my iPhone.
The feature works for every other show and I can transfer the "problematic" files manually.
I deleted the videos from my phone and from my iTunes Library, added them again. unchecked and rechecked all the boxes - nothing makes it work.

does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

Why is it that my apps from my phone aren't synching back with iTunes? Didn't it used to do that? I want to restore my phone and I'd rather have my apps saved on my computer so I can easily remember which ones I had.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Why is it that my apps from my phone aren't synching back with iTunes? Didn't it used to do that? I want to restore my phone and I'd rather have my apps saved on my computer so I can easily remember which ones I had.
Do you have your phone backup set to iCloud rather than your computer?

Pyrokai

Guys....

I don't like iTunes 11. I just started using it. I'm actually really bummed about it. Is there no way to get the side bar back or at least be able to open multiple windows? :(

I was looking forward to updating, too...but as someone who has always defended iTunes, I really can't tolerate this version. It's not easy to use. Multiple windows would make shifting music around so much easier....I don't even know how to do it in this one!

Hate to be that guy....because I realize that there is a difference between hating something for being bad and hating something because it's not what I'm used to using, but this.....is bad.

Do you guys generally prefer this version?

Do you have your phone backup set to iCloud rather than your computer?

I don't think so. Back ups only happen when I plug my phone into my computer. I should mention that I recently started synching my phone to a laptop (app synching worked fine on my old one).

see5harp

Guys....

I don't like iTunes 11. I just started using it. I'm actually really bummed about it. Is there no way to get the side bar back or at least be able to open multiple windows? :(

I was looking forward to updating, too...but as someone who has always defended iTunes, I really can't tolerate this version. It's not easy to use. Multiple windows would make shifting music around so much easier....I don't even know how to do it in this one!

Hate to be that guy....because I realize that there is a difference between hating something for being bad and hating something because it's not what I'm used to using, but this.....is bad.

After using it for a while, I prefer it to the last version. I hide the sidebar by default because the most I ever did was drag songs into my iPhone playlist, and you can easily do that without even having the sidebar up. If you want to see the sidebar click playlists and it's enabled in that view. I suppose it depends on what you use the sidebar for. Most of the time I'm just searching for an artist or album to play or move to a playlist and it looks cleaner without all of the links to stuff I never use.

EDIT: If you are trying to drag or add to a playlist without having the sidebar up, just drag the song(s) or album(s) to the right and a bar pops in from the right with a list of all of the playlists. You can do that or click the arrow next to the artist/album/song and add it that way.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Guys....

Ctrl+S

Alternately: View -> Show Sidebar

Kjellson

Help!

qf15QyE.png

As you can see, the track "Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison" has a one to the left, however, no matter what I do, the stupid song stays at the bottom. I can give any other song any number and it switches position, except that one that just don't want to move no matter what!

Anybody know what the hell the problem with the bottom song is??

nan0

I just got the update on 11.0.3 (Windows)

Changelog (German):
Neuer MiniPlayer. Mit dem MiniPlayer können Albumcover in einer neu gestalteten Darstellung präsentiert werden. Darüber hinaus wird direkt im MiniPlayer eine Statusleiste angezeigt.

Verbesserte Darstellung „Musiktitel“. Albumcover können jetzt angezeigt werden, während die Darstellung „Musiktitel“ ausgewählt ist.

Mehrfachalben. Alben mit mehreren CDs werden jetzt als Einzelalbum angezeigt.

Dieses Update enthält außerdem eine Reihe von Leistungsverbesserungen beim Durchsuchen und Sortieren großer iTunes-Mediatheken.

Rough Translation:

New MiniPlayer. With the MiniPlayer album covers can be displayed in a new way. Additionally the MiniPlayer features a statusbar.

Improved display "Song Titles". Album covers can now be displayed in "Song Title" view mode.

Multi CD albums. Albums with multiple CD are now displayed as a single album.

This Update additionally includes several performance improvements when searching and sorting large iTunes-libraries.

Miniplayer looks like this now (expanded mode at the top, shrunk mode at the bottom):

ibqV9Gs2Qt2LBX.png

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Nice to see that multi-disc albums are now headed properly under each disk instead of just one big long list of mess. Saying that, it is a wee bit annoying if the albums aren't listed in the same way on an iPhone, where it is just a list that looks like the numbers are in the wrong order.

Though the only problem I had with iTunes is that it doesn't darken a "checked" song in album view, and still doesn't after this update, unless I open and close said album. Only started happening after the previous update for some unknown reason.

LCfiner

Help!

qf15QyE.png

As you can see, the track "Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison" has a one to the left, however, no matter what I do, the stupid song stays at the bottom. I can give any other song any number and it switches position, except that one that just don't want to move no matter what!

Anybody know what the hell the problem with the bottom song is??

there is some other metadata that is different between that file and the others. select the album, use get info and force everything (including the "sorting" options and other stuff like "compilation, eq, etc to be the same. aside from song title or track number, of course.

I've had this a few times.

I see this is now over a month old, lol. Anyway, I'm just happy for the update that improves song list view with artwork again.

btkadams

has anybody had any issues with itunes match and lossless (wav/aiff/alac) files lately?

i've never had problems before a couple months ago. now, it seems like maybe 10% of all lossless files that i put into itunes have errors trying to match/upload to icloud. they just get the x. lossy versions of the files match/upload perfectly fine however. if i try to transcode to a different lossless format, i still have the same issues. encoding to wav to should clear up any errors since it's just raw uncompressed audio, but the icloud error still occurs. it makes zero sense to me. it's like itunes just decided to hate specific songs. these are lossless songs all downloaded from the same online stores (beatport, etc) that i've used for years btw.

if anyone is having this issue, i have a workaround that i found online after so so so much searching. this has worked for me for every single song.

1. transcode each problem lossless song into 256 kbps aac.
2. delete the lossless file from itunes (make sure you have a backup copy of the lossless song that you can import in a later step).
2. run match and it matches/uploads the aac version. you may have to right-click the track and click to add to icloud more than once. i had some songs bring up the error-cloud icon the first time and require clicking to add to icloud a second time.
3. delete the aac version from your library, but keep it in the cloud. you will see the song in itunes still, but it will be greyed out with a download button.
4. re-import your lossless version of the song.
5. run itunes match. it will match your lossless song with the one in the cloud and you won't have duplicates in your library. if it didn't match the song and actually uploaded your aac file to the cloud, you might be thinking, "why would i want to have the uploaded file be lossy rather than lossless? this isn't a workaround!" well, itunes match actually converts your lossless songs to 256kbps aac when you upload them anyway. so, you are left with the exact same outcome as you would have if the process actually worked as intended for this "problem" song.

i hope this helps anyone who has encountered this problem.

Top Bottom