• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

linkboy

I'm having an issue with iTunes on a co-workers computer.

He's running Windows 8 x64 and no matter what I do, I can't get the machine to recognize his iPod Touch.

The iPod works on my laptop (also running Windows 8 x64) and I've tried 4 different cables, which all work on my laptop, so that's not a problem. I also know it's not a problem with the installer for iTunes, since it's worked on two other computers.

I've reinstalled iTunes and it still doesn't work. I went into control panel and it was picking up the iPod, but it's using a generic Windows driver.

I extracted the Apple Mobile Device MSI support from the iTunes installer and I'm going to try to install that separately.

edit

That worked, for some reason, iTunes wasn't installing the Mobile Device support.

CRS

Okay I was a diehard iTunes fan, but 11 is just so bloated in terms of memory usage and even in performance at times that I've started using Foobar as my primary music player, and iTunes as just as organizer...The scripts that I have for 11 really help, but overall I'm not too happy with it. It looks better, but I truly don't think it performs basic tasks better.

This is exactly what I'm doing. Using iTunes to organize any mp3s while I'm organizing my flac/lossless collection manually.

I need to write a script or find something that'll organize my music like iTunes does.

Add an album to iTunes -> iTunes copies album to a larger hard drive and organizes the album (iTunes Music -> Artist -> Album)

Also, I finally found a really nice theme for foobar. I'll eventually want to work on my own but this will do for now. Theme is DarkOne.

A_cUm8UCQAE8pB6.jpg:large

Edit: iTunes here is only using 75 MB in memory so I don't have the same complaints. iTunes has been quick for the most part with Last.fm slowing it down a bit but that's not iTunes part. I only have some of my collection on iTunes so I'm not sure how much more you have. Only have 60 GB of music right now.

I didn't get an answer to one of my problems before but found a solution, so I'm posting it just in case anyone runs into it in the future. If tracks in one of your playlists under Grid view aren't being displayed correctly (most obviously shown when the track numbers to the left of each track are out of standard 1-2-3 order), double-check the disc numbers, and if they're really messed up just get rid of them universally. It seemed to work for me.

Kareha

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So this is probably not due to iTunes 11 specifically but I am just trying to add one damn song to my 64gb ipod. The ipod itself says I have 128mb free which means I SHOULD be able to add one song to it no problem. Nope, when I connect my ipod to itunes and then try to add the song it says Im over capacity by 2 GIGABYTES. Huh?? I dont have itunes match, I dont have sync all music selected and I dont have fill free space with songs selected either. Why in the flying fuck is it saying Im over by 2 gigs when on the ipod itself says I have 128 megs of free space?? So then I tried to put the song on my iphone which has about the same amount of free space as well and it says that its over capacity by 800mbs...ugh. So basically if I fill up a device to almost capacity and want to fit a few more songs on it iTunes wont let me. Great.

/rage

mrkgoo

So this is probably not due to iTunes 11 specifically but I am just trying to add one damn song to my 64gb ipod. The ipod itself says I have 128mb free which means I SHOULD be able to add one song to it no problem. Nope, when I connect my ipod to itunes and then try to add the song it says Im over capacity by 2 GIGABYTES. Huh?? I dont have itunes match, I dont have sync all music selected and I dont have fill free space with songs selected either. Why in the flying fuck is it saying Im over by 2 gigs when on the ipod itself says I have 128 megs of free space?? So then I tried to put the song on my iphone which has about the same amount of free space as well and it says that its over capacity by 800mbs...ugh. So basically if I fill up a device to almost capacity and want to fit a few more songs on it iTunes wont let me. Great.

/rage

I've seen this before where the sync lost some continuity and wanted to add everything on again. I can't remember what I did, probably just restored it, but you could try deleting all the stuff you synced and readding it. That's the advantage of a sync system - it should be realtively easy to redo.

Quick

Banned
Is this happening to anyone else? It's been like this for ages now. And clicking Clear (from the beginning, before this current issue) doesn't do anything. Still keeps my history of previews.

iqsJvkUbzNlYe.png

Bump for the new page.

Additionally, has anyone's view preferences (showing music by song instead of album specifically) constantly been resetting to default?

I've had to select the Songs option when choosing how I want to view my music every few times I open iTunes. At one point, my view settings were reset completely. I opened iTunes and it was back to its default appearance (no sidebar, no status bar, etc.).

Bump for the new page.

Additionally, has anyone's view preferences (showing music by song instead of album specifically) constantly been resetting to default?

I've had to select the Songs option when choosing how I want to view my music every few times I open iTunes. At one point, my view settings were reset completely. I opened iTunes and it was back to its default appearance (no sidebar, no status bar, etc.).

Yeah, that's been happening with mine all the time. Pretty annoying.

Cesar

Banned
Bump for the new page.

Yup, that happens to me too. Really annoying.

Bump for the new page.

This happens to me. I figured it was just the default behavior of iTunes 11.

It's a terrible design choice though. Incredibly annoying.

Dany

Banned
I watch Giant Bombs quick looks in iTunes and some videos are over 2.5 gb and an hour long.

I dunno what it is, but sometimes to start a video fullscree nmy mac goes wonky, the video starts playing in a very small window overlay that doesn't have a close button or the audio starts but no video. I restart itunes but if I start the video again it won't go past the point after I force quit iTunes, the audio will play but the video won't and just stutter.

It is very annoying :/

Haunted

I loved cover flow. :(

Why would you just take features out? Fuck

edit: oh, it's very easy to revert to 10.7. done. :)

MIMIC

Banned
I recently reformatted my computer and I just downloaded the new iTunes.

Question: If I connect my iPod (video iPod) to my computer, will I be promoted to manually manage my music (or would this something I would do in iTunes beforehand)? I do not want iTunes to automatically fill my iPod with ANYTHING.

I can't remember how this works because I rarely update iTunes.

EDIT: Never mind. I see that the setting was carried over from the iPod itself.

My iTunes on Windows 7 has recently started to run extremely slow. Sometimes I'll click on a song to play it and it will take a minute before it even starts playing. If I have it minimized on my task bar and try to maximize it the program will take forever to pop up. A couple days ago it refused to sync my iPod Touch and today it won't even recognize the fact that it has been plugged in. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I've got over 10,000 songs and tons of videos in my library.

Baconbitz

Banned
Ok, I really hate how it separated albums that have various artists on it. I just put WTT in there. Some songs have the album artwork on it. Some songs don't. Only songs with Kanye and Jay-z are under "Watch The Throne". Otherwise, its separate.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ok, I really hate how it separated albums that have various artists on it. I just put WTT in there. Some songs have the album artwork on it. Some songs don't. Only songs with Kanye and Jay-z are under "Watch The Throne". Otherwise, its separate.
Seems to me that you need to tag your songs with "album artist" and it should group them as one album.

Question: Why do I have a cloud symbol on some of my albums in my library? And how do I turn off this symbol? It keeps downloading songs I don't want to an album.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Question: Why do I have a cloud symbol on some of my albums in my library? And how do I turn off this symbol? It keeps downloading songs I don't want to an album.
Those are songs on iCloud that you own but don't have on your computer. You can disable showing iCloud purchases in Preferences.

Onemic

I still don't know why Apple decided to only have a grid based album view instead of the artist view it used to have in the previous versions. Makes shifting through artists a pain in the ass.

I hate this new version of itunes so much, it does nothing right.

I've been having a problem with iTunes Match and signing in for a while now, and it is driving me crazy. I've tried reinstalling iTunes several times, and nothing seems to fix it.

The problem is that every time I start iTunes, either because I quit the app or restarted the Mac, I have to sign into iTunes. It asks for my username (email) and password. Then, it may stay connected to iTunes match for a few minutes, but then it disconnects. Then, I have to either quit the app and re-sign in , or I have to go into the menu bar, sign out, and sign in. This happens constantly to the point where I can't listen to music through iTunes Match.

Is something in keychain potentially messing things up? If so, why does all the other iCloud stuff, like document syncing, continue to work? I can't figure it out.

Karl2177

So I plugged in my iPhone to my laptop, and I'm not getting an option to play any songs through iTunes. I get syncing options, but I don't want those. Is this no longer supported if the computer you're hooked up to isn't the sync computer?

Lately tv shows I bought season passes to are downloading twice into iTunes. I downloaded it one day, the next it does it again. Any idea why it is doing that? And also it is asking for my password tons of times during the day. No idea why either.

mrkgoo

Lately tv shows I bought season passes to are downloading twice into iTunes. I downloaded it one day, the next it does it again. Any idea why it is doing that? And also it is asking for my password tons of times during the day. No idea why either.

It's probably just some server side issue.

I tend to fire off a question to iTunes help, who inevitably just apologise and send some free credits.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Since iTunes doesn't seem to even copy apps over to the devices anymore (opting to just tell the device to download it from Apple) why even have the apps on the drive anymore? It used to be for backing up in case of removal, but how would you even get an app onto the device in that case anyway now that it doesn't copy it over?

Lima

Since iTunes doesn't seem to even copy apps over to the devices anymore (opting to just tell the device to download it from Apple) why even have the apps on the drive anymore? It used to be for backing up in case of removal, but how would you even get an app onto the device in that case anyway now that it doesn't copy it over?

The whole thing is just a mess really.

I hate how much this has turned app management into a real chore. Before I just deleted the app in iTunes and it deleted them off my iPad and iPhone when I synced them. Now I have to manually delete them on both devices. I hate it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The whole thing is just a mess really.

I hate how much this has turned app management into a real chore. Before I just deleted the app in iTunes and it deleted them off my iPad and iPhone when I synced them. Now I have to manually delete them on both devices. I hate it.
I actually prefer it this way because I want to clean up my drive, but I don't know how you'd put apps back onto the devices in the case of a removal. Why even have iTunes retain them if it no longer copies the file over? It obviously doesn't use the physical copy as a backup source because when I got my mini it told me an app was no longer available on the store but wouldn't copy it over from my iTunes machine so I don't know. I'd like to delete them all off my SSD and offload the important ones to another drive in case but if there's no way to even get them back on the device then why even bother?

mrkgoo

Says who?

I keep installing the apps from my computer onto my device.

SRG01

Is anyone having an issue with iTunes 11 having really slow loading times in the store? Are their servers just slow, or is there something wrong with iTunes?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Says who?

I keep installing the apps from my computer onto my device.
Hasn't worked for me since iTunes 11.

Edit: Clarification. I guess you can get them on. It's just updating that doesn't work. i.e. if you update the apps on your drive, then sync your devices, it doesn't copy the updated version over like it used to. You have to update them on the devices themselves. I was having a brain fart and forgot you can just push them to the device manually. I was at work. Sosumi.

mrkgoo

Hasn't worked for me since iTunes 11.

Edit: Clarification. I guess you can get them on. It's just updating that doesn't work. i.e. if you update the apps on your drive, then sync your devices, it doesn't copy the updated version over like it used to. You have to update them on the devices themselves. I was having a brain fart and forgot you can just push them to the device manually. I was at work. Sosumi.

Mine still update.

Are you sure you don't have sync clicked off or something? (not even sure you can turn sync off)

I never update apps on my iphone (partially because it then syncs back the uncompressed version, which takes up more space on the computer)

Not sure what you mean by 'push them to the device manually'.

I sync all my devices to my computer. I click check for updates to my apps, which are stored on my computer, and it finds any updates. Downloading them replaces them in my iTunes Library. When I next plug in and sync my iDevices that have those apps installed, it copies the updated versions onto the device during the sync. Just as it always has done.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Mine still update.

Are you sure you don't have sync clicked off or something? (not even sure you can turn sync off)

I never update apps on my iphone (partially because it then syncs back the uncompressed version, which takes up more space on the computer)

Not sure what you mean by 'push them to the device manually'.

I sync all my devices to my computer. I click check for updates to my apps, which are stored on my computer, and it finds any updates. Downloading them replaces them in my iTunes Library. When I next plug in and sync my iDevices that have those apps installed, it copies the updated versions onto the device during the sync. Just as it always has done.
If I update an app in iTunes and Sync to the devices, the app will not copy over. i.e. it isn't replacing the older version on the device like it used to.

I have to update it manually on the device itself.

Also, I assume if you don't have an app on your device, but you do have it in iTunes, even if it's an app that was removed from the App Store, you should still be able to use the Apps tab in iTunes Device section to "Install" the app that doesn't exist anymore onto the device. I haven't tested it. But it should work even for apps that aren't removed from the store as long as it's not on the device and you use the Install button.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I seem to be having a problem with updating apps via itunes. Can't do it at all, for whatever reason the download all free updates button is unresponsive, along with the individual "get update" for each app. Restarted itunes/ the computer to no avail.

mrkgoo

If I update an app in iTunes and Sync to the devices, the app will not copy over. i.e. it isn't replacing the older version on the device like it used to.

I have to update it manually on the device itself.

Also, I assume if you don't have an app on your device, but you do have it in iTunes, even if it's an app that was removed from the App Store, you should still be able to use the Apps tab in iTunes Device section to "Install" the app that doesn't exist anymore onto the device. I haven't tested it. But it should work even for apps that aren't removed from the store as long as it's not on the device and you use the Install button.

Yeah, I don't know what to say - it works for me.

I never update on the device itself, I always check for updates in iTunes and download them to the computer and just sync my devices. The updated apps copy over to my device. It says so in the little window during the sync!

Also, you assume correct. Apps in iTunes, regardless of in store or not any more can be installed onto a synced device. Apps that I have in iTunes come from there, on my computer, copied to my syncing device.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, I don't know what to say - it works for me.

I never update on the device itself, I always check for updates in iTunes and download them to the computer and just sync my devices. The updated apps copy over to my device. It says so in the little window during the sync!

Also, you assume correct. Apps in iTunes, regardless of in store or not any more can be installed onto a synced device. Apps that I have in iTunes come from there, on my computer, copied to my syncing device.
You can tell when it's copying an app because it takes a few seconds to transfer one depending on its size. It never transfers for me. And I've tested it and looked at the device while syncing and there's never an "updating" progress bar on any of the updated apps and they're always the old version. Always need to do a manual update from the device itself.

mrkgoo

You can tell when it's copying an app because it takes a few seconds to transfer one depending on its size. It never transfers for me. And I've tested it and looked at the device while syncing and there's never an "updating" progress bar on any of the updated apps and they're always the old version. Always need to do a manual update from the device itself.

I know that's exactly what I said.

I'm just saying not sure why it's not working for you.

My point is that you said iTunes doesn't do it any more, but it does, at least for me. From my point of view your iTunes is borked, or you have a different setting flagged.

mrbagdt

i feel like i need to teach myself how to use itunes again since i installed the update... i cant even figure out a fast and easy way to move music and podcasts from my library to my ipod, i cant just drag and drop anymore. am i missing something? i feel like i just need to watch a video of someone that shows them using the program and see what the fastest way to do things is because trying to just figure it out myself is making me go crazy.

mrkgoo

i feel like i need to teach myself how to use itunes again since i installed the update... i cant even figure out a fast and easy way to move music and podcasts from my library to my ipod, i cant just drag and drop anymore. am i missing something? i feel like i just need to watch a video of someone that shows them using the program and see what the fastest way to do things is because trying to just figure it out myself is making me go crazy.
Easiest way is to just turn the side bar back on ( cmd shift S - or was it cmd opt S).

Top Bottom