• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

LCfiner

I'm getting used to not having that album art in the corner. I really only used the art work in the corner when in library management mode. Most of the time when I listen, I'm just searching for an album and hitting play. I do wish in album view the albums would be sorted by year of release though. That's how I organize my albums and books and such.

when in album view, go to the menu and select view, then view options.

you can sort albums by year.

Blackheim

Heh, windows crapped out on me (rarely reboot) with iTunes 11 playing. Rebooted and tried to play the song that was playing when it died and now the song is totally screwed. I guess during the crash iTunes chewed it up and made it non-playable :/

That's ok though! I'll just have to dig out the CD and re-rip it, stupid iTunes.

Kammie

Heh, windows crapped out on me (rarely reboot) with iTunes 11 playing. Rebooted and tried to play the song that was playing when it died and now the song is totally screwed. I guess during the crash iTunes chewed it up and made it non-playable :/

That's ok though! I'll just have to dig out the CD and re-rip it, stupid iTunes.
That doesn't sound like normal behavior. I've had tons of power outages/crashes while iTunes is playing, and the only thing that happens is that it takes a while to check the library when I open the program again. What's the song doing?

LCfiner

that really does seem odd. I mean, doesn't itunes load the song into RAM when playing? why would the HDD located file get borked? weird

Anyway, as a side note. If you have no backups and that's why you need to re-rip the song... please make a backup. HDDs fail and you could lose something more important than one song.

Blackheim

That doesn't sound like normal behavior. I've had tons of power outages/crashes while iTunes is playing, and the only thing that happens is that it takes a while to check the library when I open the program again. What's the song doing?

Same here, happened many times before due to black outs/brown outs/good ol' BSoD and the music was never effected.

I tried playing it from the Up Next menu. Said it couldn't locate the file so I chose to locate it. The song was still there but some of the characters in the file name were changed to weird wingding like characters. I renamed it to what it was supposed to be and selected it as the proper location for the song. Tried playing it again and nothing. Would disappear from the Up Next list and reappear again. Strange stuff.

Anyway, as a side note. If you have no backups and that's why you need to re-rip the song... please make a backup. HDDs fail and you could lose something more important than one song.

Nah, my backups are my retail CDs. They are on a shelf 3 feet away, not stuck in storage like some people do :p I like to display my collection, not hide it away like a dirty secret!

I'm getting used to not having that album art in the corner. I really only used the art work in the corner when in library management mode. Most of the time when I listen, I'm just searching for an album and hitting play. I do wish in album view the albums would be sorted by year of release though. That's how I organize my albums and books and such.

???
You can do this extremely simply. Just press CMD+J (on a Mac, otherwise it's 'View Options' within the 'View' option) and you get two tiers of sorting within Album view.

Sort by:
Then:

Myself I first sort by Artist and then Year, but setting the first option to Year would sort every album in chronological order.

EDIT: shiiiiieeeeettttt, had this tab open for a lot longer than I thought :D

Lima

Sorry if this has been answered but i have no idea how to manually put songs on my iPhone anymore.

Drag it to the right and a sidebar will come up showing your iOS devices. Drop it on the device.

Or you can just press Ctrl+S and bring the old sidebar on the left back and do it the old way.

Still can't believe they got rid of the app sync delete process. No Apple if I delete an app in iTunes I don't want to manually delete it on all my iOS devices. Fucking stupid!

iNvid02

after not working for a while itunes match is flawless now and takes only seconds.

how it should have been right from the start, only took a year

after not working for a while itunes match is flawless now and takes only seconds.

how it should have been right from the start, only took a year
Yeah it does seem a lot more stable now, that + their new server status page makes me feel like they're finally taking their online services seriously.

DominoKid

yeah.

its in my 'recently added' playlist. and from there i can move it to any other playlist. it only shows up when im in the playlist view tab.
but it doesnt show up in the artist, album or genre tabs in my library.
and when i search for the album it doesnt show up it shows no matching results.

all while im listening to the damn thing, so clearly it works. but its like itunes cant add it to the other views.

its really weird.

tried changing the name and its not still showing up.
the Media Kind is right.
im pretty consistent w/ managing my library and this is something i've never encountered.
i doubt im the only one having this problem though. i'll try some more things and see what happens.

the same problem happened again.
i figured out that it's a problem with iTunes processing album artwork that just causes it to get.....stuck?
idk a better way to describe it.

running the update to see if they fixed it now...
edit: and it did. well done apple.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just want to get this straight. If I go to Preferences > Store and uncheck Apps, I will be able to delete all the app files off my computer and only rely on downloading them via the iDevices themselves, right?

Are there any real drawbacks to this?

I just want to get this straight. If I go to Preferences > Store and uncheck Apps, I will be able to delete all the app files off my computer and only rely on downloading them via the iDevices themselves, right?

If you delete the apps in itunes on your computer, they'll be wiped from your devices the next time you sync them (or so it keeps claiming to me). I don't really see any sense in that.

edgefusion

Why do we even need to sync apps anyway? I get it for media that works across both iOS and OS X/Windows like movies and music but apps only work on iOS, so why do we need to sync them at all?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Not having local copies of apps that are removed from the store for whatever reason (infringement, license expiry on behalf of the developer etc.) will prevent you from re-downloading those apps.

Also if you ever decide to change your store region (eg. moving abroad), you'll loose all purchases done in your previous region. They'll be purged from your account as if you never bought them. Local copies will still work however as they're attached to your Apple ID, not the region they were downloaded from.

Other than that no issues.

The slow search function makes me rage so hard. I have 8 gb ram and a SSD, so waiting 10-15 seconds is unacceptable. It never was like this in iTunes 10...

Lima

If you delete the apps in itunes on your computer, they'll be wiped from your devices the next time you sync them (or so it keeps claiming to me). I don't really see any sense in that.

No. They got rid of that. Which is really fucking stupid, because this makes app management incredibly annoying. You need to delete them on your iOS devices manually.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What if I keep the apps on an external source, say a networked drive or a SD card that I only mount when I need it. Will iTunes complain if I try to sync my device, even if I'm not syncing any apps (which for some reason iTunes doesn't do anymore anyway. I always have to update from each device.) will iTunes complain if the drive isn't mounted? In my experience it doesn't care unless it tries to access the file and its not there. I move all my podcasts to an external drive on my network so they still download to the internal but are then moved and relinked to save space. I'd want to move and symlink the actual apps folder and only access apps when the drive is connected. Otherwise ill just copy them to the new drive and delete them from the internal them drag them back in from the new home. Then it should in theory only complain if I happen to not have the disk mounted when I go to update current apps.

I'd much prefer to not have them at all. I understand that sometimes apps are removed. But not often. I dunno. I'd rather not care about that.

I just want to know that I checking the Apps checkbox will stop iTunes from deleting the app from my devices automatically. Because I noticed last night when I deleted one it immediately deleted it from my iPad. I'd rather keep control over which app files I keep on my internal drive and not have ones I don't want. Like huge ones that are 500+MB.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Are you sure? They left the dialog box in iTunes 11 and got rid of it in 11.0.1.

Apps will not be deleted on your iOS devices when syncing them.
In my experience as recent as last night, I deleted an app from iTunes and it mounted and synced my iPad and removed it immediately. And when I update an app in iTunes and sync, it no longer copies it over to the iDevice. Which is silly. I don't know why it no longer copies over to the device anymore.

CloudWolf

After losing my iTunes library twice in three days after updating, I decided that iTunes isn't for me anymore. Too bad, I liked the look of iTunes 11.

Lima

In my experience as recent as last night, I deleted an app from iTunes and it mounted and synced my iPad and removed it immediately. And when I update an app in iTunes and sync, it no longer copies it over to the iDevice. Which is silly. I don't know why it no longer copies over to the device anymore.

Well it is certainly not working for me. It is deleting them from the list of apps if I look on the device under the apps tab, but the actual apps are still on the device and still take up space.

I'm not alone with this problem. There is a thread over at the apple forums with well over a thousand views. So yeah don't know what is going on here.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well it is certainly not working for me. It is deleting them from the list of apps if I look on the device under the apps tab, but the actual apps are still on the device and still take up space.

I'm not alone with this problem. There is a thread over at the apple forums with well over a thousand views. So yeah don't know what is going on here.
Is the Apps option synced under Preferences > Store?

Just got hit with the 90 day error for iTunes Match. From looking it up online, this was probably due to my girlfriend using iTunes in the Cloud to download a purchase from her Apple ID on this Mac. Why the FUCK should that affect my ability to use iTunes Match? I've asked Apple to either fix this or refund my Match subscription price. I'm not paying for a service I can't use for another three months.

Just got hit with the 90 day error for iTunes Match. From looking it up online, this was probably due to my girlfriend using iTunes in the Cloud to download a purchase from her Apple ID on this Mac. Why the FUCK should that affect my ability to use iTunes Match? I've asked Apple to either fix this or refund my Match subscription price. I'm not paying for a service I can't use for another three months.

They removed the 90 day BS from my account so I have my iTunes Match back. Didn't mean to get so pissed off earlier but it was a pretty frustrating experience all around. I guess I also learned the valuable lesson that I shouldn't rely on iTunes Match to hold onto my music. Keep a copy on my HDD too.

see5harp

I just realized that in artist and album view that you can just highlight albums and drag right or left and the sidebar just scrolls in from the right. That's actually super slick and is actually 10x better than always having the sidebar full of text and icons on the right. Now that I know how everything works, there's literally no reason for me to go back to song view or turn on the sidebar. Some things do take a little more muscle like adding artwork, but I think a much cleaner interface and the "up next" playlist is a much better way to listen to music.

Ambitious

I've got a bunch of Wii game OSTs. For some reason, the music app on my iPhone displays the artist as "Unknown", but in the "W" section of the artist list. When I change the artist to Wii2, the app displays Wii2. When I change it back, it's Unknown again. What the hell is this shit?

Since I bought it, iTunes Match hasn't worked a single day without problems, it's so terrible.

edit: It's "Wii" on my iPad. Sigh. Gonna disable and re-enable iTunes Match on the phone.

edit 2: There's a single album for which I can't set a new cover persistently. If I change the cover and refresh iTunes Match, at some point of time the new cover appears on the phone. And some time later, the old one is back, everytime.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I keep all my music on one Mac, and stream it via local wifi to other Macs via Home Sharing. It works without a hitch 98% of the time, but every so often the music will cut out for a few seconds, like the song is being buffered.

I'm pretty sure it's not my network, because files transfer between computers over the intranet smoothly. And the computers should be more than up to the task (server: 2011 Mac Mini w/8 gigs of RAM; client: 2011 iMac w/12 gigs of RAM). A lot of times the Mac Mini isn't even in use when the problem occurs, except for maybe backing up to a Time Capsule.

So I'm thinking it has to be something in iTunes. I was hoping 11 would fix this, and it does seem somewhat improved (less cutting out overall), but it still happens every now and then.

Any ideas?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nope. Happens for me too. Even when using AirPlay. Hiccups still happen all the time. Even if I'm not watching any internet videos or anything.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone else have the problem where whenever you open iTunes it always gives you the tutorial every single time? How do you disable that shit?

Also, I unchecked "Search Entire Library" so the search is like older iTunes, but that seems to reset upon closing iTunes too, any way to make that permanent?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Got a general itunes organization question.

So when I select Bob Dylan on my phone it brings up all of his albums. All 35 of them. That great!

What I don't like is that all his studio albums are mixed in with collections of demos, live albums etc. I'd like to see the proper albums first, then the demo's then the live albums at the bottom. How'd you all go about this?

Kammie

So when I select Bob Dylan on my phone it brings up all of his albums. All 35 of them. That great!

What I don't like is that all his studio albums are mixed in with collections of demos, live albums etc. I'd like to see the proper albums first, then the demo's then the live albums at the bottom. How'd you all go about this?
I personally use a system where I put some classifier in brackets before the album name. Like for jazz I'll put the year like ['64], and for J-pop or something with lots of albums and singles, I may do [A1], [A2], [S1], etc, and [AL] for live albums... etc etc.

If that's an eyesore (I like it just because I can track my stuff more easily at a glance, or know if I'm missing something in my collection), you can just use a system like that under the Album Sort field, but leave the album names unchanged.

Kjellson

You can order albums in any order you want by selecting an album > Show info > and then write artist and a number under "sort album" (maybe it's "order album" or something, I don't use iTunes in English). For example Bob Dylan's first album is ordered by "Bob Dylan 01", Freewheelin' is "Bob Dylan 02", Highway 61 is "Bob Dylan 06" etc.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
You can order albums in any order you want by selecting an album > Show info > and then write artist and a number under "sort album" (maybe it's "order album" or something, I don't use iTunes in English). For example Bob Dylan's first album is ordered by "Bob Dylan 01", Freewheelin' is "Bob Dylan 02", Highway 61 is "Bob Dylan 06" etc.

Yeah I was thinking about this the route but the only thing that bugs me is that it will look exactly like I want within the artist search field but if you look under albums from within everything in itunes it would be nonsense. But I guess thats a small trade off, I rarely if ever look for music like that.

Thanks for your input guys.

So I just downloaded iTunes 11 in a slightly intoxicated state and I feel like crying. This is fucking teeerrrriiiiibbbbllleeee! Why oh why did they take out coverflow? My list of songs feels like a cluttered mess now, terrible to navigate through.

Does it get better, guys ?! SOMEBODY HOLD ME!

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Alright. Got another question. But this deals with Match.

My music and my wife's (mostly terrible) music are together in iTunes. All of my music is checked and my ipod it set to only copy the checked tracks. My wife's ipod is set to copy everything.

Match uploads everything, checked or not from iTunes.

Is there a way to get it to only upload my tracks, or delete hers from the cloud?

HiResDes

Okay I was a diehard iTunes fan, but 11 is just so bloated in terms of memory usage and even in performance at times that I've started using Foobar as my primary music player, and iTunes as just as organizer...The scripts that I have for 11 really help, but overall I'm not too happy with it. It looks better, but I truly don't think it performs basic tasks better.

Quick

Banned
Is this happening to anyone else? It's been like this for ages now. And clicking Clear (from the beginning, before this current issue) doesn't do anything. Still keeps my history of previews.

iqsJvkUbzNlYe.png

Top Bottom