• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

see5harp

I would just create a playlist to sync with your ipod. Then you drag and drop an album or songs to the right and a playlist sidebar automatically pops up.

mrbagdt

I would just create a playlist to sync with your ipod. Then you drag and drop an album or songs to the right and a playlist sidebar automatically pops up.

podcasts as well? when i want to delete things, if i delete from that playlist will it also delete from my ipod?

see5harp

podcasts as well? when i want to delete things, if i delete from that playlist will it also delete from my ipod?

Yes. I basically have a playlist called iPhone. I delete an album there, plug the Phone in or do wireless sync and the album is deleted from the device. If I drag and drop an album into the playlist, it is added on the next sync. That way your play counts, ratings, etc. are all being saved across syncs and you open up the ablity to use smart playlists that use that data. Try it out. Grab a couple songs or a whole album and drag to the right of the screen. You can also click the arrow next to an album name or song and select a playlist from a drop down menu. Much better way to manage music than dragging and dropping onto the actual device.

EDIT: for podcasts, I just sync the newest episode and all unplayed. You can manage podcast stuff by going into the device settings.

I had all my music backed up on an external drive. I had logged into itunes to start iTunes match. ITunes matched showed all my music. I then dragged the music folder into itunes with the hopes of just adding the files to my internal drive without readding them to itunes. this didn't work. now i have duplicates of all my music. it shows two songs, one in the cloud and one on my computer, and it is trying to match and upload all of the songs on my computer. all i want is for my music to be on my internal hard drive and in the cloud without having to redownload all my music. any ideas? help.

Anyone know why in this view it won't show my album art for some movies, but instead a screenshot from the movie? I clearly have the album artwork in place...

ScreenShot2013-02-07at103752PM_zpsc308b70c.png

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Holy shit, iTunes 11 is horrible. This is the 3rd time I've had to restore my ipod using this damn thing, and I never had to do that on previous versions.

11.0.2 is out:

Apple has released iTunes 11.0.2 this afternoon with a number of enhancements and fixes. Notably, the new update adds a Composer view for Music, improved responsiveness when handling large playlists, and a bug fix for purchases that do not show up in iTunes. Various other performance enhancements are also included. You can grab it from the Updates tab in the Mac App Store now.

Colin.

I'm still on 10.5.3. Got sick of updating it constantly, so I disabled them. I only use it for iphone syncs anyway, with Winamp being my regular music player.

i want to be able to see the composer credits like this

wgar0Ow.png

in light grey under the song title

i spent too way much time tagging my shit for them to be hidden :/

Kjellson

Speaking of composers, does anyone know if there is a way to separate writers if a song has more than one writer? For example "John Lennon & Paul McCartney" is listed as one writer, which just gets messy. It would be cool to just see what songs Lennon wrote and co-wrote in one list.

Link

The Autumn Wind
What sort of features are included that would make the upgrade worth it? Since I'm a very light user of iTunes and don't have iOS 6.
Mostly stability and security updates, but you can play 1080p video from the iTunes Store and convert songs to 128, 196, and 256 bitrates.

see5harp

If you are super anal you can transcode to MP3 (yea yea that's probably terrible for sound quality) but I think doing so you can get rid of the tag.

EDIT: okay yea, retagging their crazy formats is probably a better way.

Kjellson

I fixed it with the Subler. Thanks. However, I lost the original files in the folder replacing them so for some reason I only have one song of the four in the "In Copenhagen 1960" folder. So if I backup and something happens I will lose three songs even if they are in my library. What the hell?!

And the labels are adding the Clean and Explicit tags. I don't even know why, because those songs are instrumental.

Edit: Never mind, I fixed it... I think.

Kabuto

11.0.2 is out and the window finally fits my screen.

This update adds a new Composers view for music, improves responsiveness when syncing playlists with a large number of songs, and fixes an issue where purchases may not show up in your iTunes library. This update also includes other stability and performance improvements.

Adding cover art on iTunes via "Get Info" didn't make it permanent, it seems. I just moved my collection over to another computer and most of my album art wouldn't make the transition. How do I fix this in the future? I spent a TON of time finding high-res images for albums that iTunes couldn't find.

gblues

Banned
Adding cover art on iTunes via "Get Info" didn't make it permanent, it seems. I just moved my collection over to another computer and most of my album art wouldn't make the transition. How do I fix this in the future? I spent a TON of time finding high-res images for albums that iTunes couldn't find.

How did you move it? If you moved the "iTunes" folder in its entirety to a new computer, it should carry over everything, including play counts and custom artwork.

nan0

Have you checked the tags? They should be saved there, independent of the computer. If not, I think iTunes saves them somewhere in a cache folder on the old computer (so you could theoretically retrieve them).

dyls

If you're using a Mac, you can use this AppleScript to embed artwork into the file itself. If you get any parameter errors, it means you're missing artwork for that song.

How did you move it? If you moved the "iTunes" folder in its entirety to a new computer, it should carry over everything, including play counts and custom artwork.

I pulled music from the same folder on the same external hard drive.

Have you checked the tags? They should be saved there, independent of the computer. If not, I think iTunes saves them somewhere in a cache folder on the old computer (so you could theoretically retrieve them).

I just checked one of the albums in question and there doesn't appear to be any art attached to it.

If you're using a Mac, you can use this AppleScript to embed artwork into the file itself. If you get any parameter errors, it means you're missing artwork for that song.

I don't understand how this works. iTunes doesn't have a "Scripts" menu as far as I can tell (the instructions refer to it).

It will show up once you put the script in there (make sure to restart iTunes)

I did that and I still don't see anything.

EDIT: I tried just loading it directly from the folder after highlighting an album, and nothing happened. I'd go back and start re-adding everything, but I'd hate to do that if I couldn't guarantee they'd stay there.

Marco1

I cannot seem to disable genius in iTunes when on my iphone5.
I don't have it enabled on iTunes on my PC and I've tried syncing my iphone also but it still runs on my phone.
Help please?

Number45

Probably not the right place for this, but can someone check something out for me. When I search the UK store for "his n hers" I see three Pulp albums listed, the first one appears to contain all of the content that the deluxe edition does (and more), but it's only £4.99 instead of £10.99.

Not normally one for deluxe editions, but as this is cheaper than the standard edition and by all accounts seems to be a decent release I'm tempted.

Same release date as well, so I assume the tracks are the same. Any Pulp fans that might be able to shed some light?

btkadams

hey guys, i posted this in the mac os x thread, but i guess this thread is more fitting.

i have a bit of an ios/mac itunes issue here. i am a huge user of the apple remote app on ipad. i am ripping my bf's tv collection to his computer and organizing it in his itunes so that he can browse them on his ipad in the apple remote app, select an episode and have it play on his television.

my big issue is that i want the seasons to show as much information as an itunes tv season would. this includes air-date, episode description, etc. i used metax to enter the airdates and put all the other information into the episodes in itunes. in itunes, the ripped tv seasons look exactly the same as an itunes store tv season. awesome, right?

well, the apple remote app does not show any of this information. it just shows the episode names. no air date, no episode description. does anyone know what i can do in itunes to make it give this data to the remote app? what am i missing? all of that work entering in the airdates and episode descriptions is now pointless since it doesn't show in the app. it's not like he will be on his computer choosing an episode to play on the tv in another room of the house.

mrkgoo

hey guys, i posted this in the mac os x thread, but i guess this thread is more fitting.

i have a bit of an ios/mac itunes issue here. i am a huge user of the apple remote app on ipad. i am ripping my bf's tv collection to his computer and organizing it in his itunes so that he can browse them on his ipad in the apple remote app, select an episode and have it play on his television.

my big issue is that i want the seasons to show as much information as an itunes tv season would. this includes air-date, episode description, etc. i used metax to enter the airdates and put all the other information into the episodes in itunes. in itunes, the ripped tv seasons look exactly the same as an itunes store tv season. awesome, right?

well, the apple remote app does not show any of this information. it just shows the episode names. no air date, no episode description. does anyone know what i can do in itunes to make it give this data to the remote app? what am i missing? all of that work entering in the airdates and episode descriptions is now pointless since it doesn't show in the app. it's not like he will be on his computer choosing an episode to play on the tv in another room of the house.

Sorry I'm not much help, as I don't know the answer. iTunes can be a mystery sometimes. I was under a similar conundrum as I added some info to a movie I ripped and wanted it to show up on my iPad but it doesn't. I guess the metadata is somehow populated differently.

Edit: quick research in my issue reveals that there is a 'long description' area that shows on iPad:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2552895?start=0&tstart=0
Not sure but it may be the same reason why you don't see it on the remote app.

btkadams

Sorry I'm not much help, as I don't know the answer. iTunes can be a mystery sometimes. I was under a similar conundrum as I added some info to a movie I ripped and wanted it to show up on my iPad but it doesn't. I guess the metadata is somehow populated differently.

Edit: quick research in my issue reveals that there is a 'long description' area that shows on iPad:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2552895?start=0&tstart=0
Not sure but it may be the same reason why you don't see it on the remote app.

OH MY GOD THANK YOU. it works...somehow? not really sure haha. i just entered the episode description into the popup but in the remote app it also started showing the airdate for that episode....awesome.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish they would make it so everything synced over iCloud. Especially Smart Playlists. Let me explain in detail...

Right now on iOS6 and iTunes 11 you have to sync via iTunes when you change a playlist. Especially Smart Playlists which are dynamic and can update based on your plays and all sorts of things. They change constantly as you use your music.

But when you sync to an iOS device, all metadata is discarded. Smart Playlists are flattened to normal lists and solidified as they currently are in iTunes. If you play your music from a playlist on iOS6 that would normally change song positions and such or if you change a star rating (Which can also be used to add or remove songs from said playlists) nothing happens until you sync to iTunes again.

What Apple needs to do is make these Smart Playlists sync completely and have everything update in realtime on iOS the same way it does in iTunes. Do it all over the internet via iCloud. Make it so you NEVER need to use iTunes to update a playlist again. If you have an iPad and an iPhone and you have the same playlist on each and you play music on one device, it should automatically update itself on the other device. Change its rating, BOOM, changed on the other device. And as soon as you open iTunes again, BOOM it's already synced.

It is really annoying that it doesn't work this way. Especially when you have multiple iOS devices. Not only that but not being able to create or edit Smart Playlists on an iOS device is sad too.

And please don't make it a paid premium feature that requires iTunes Match either.

Top Bottom