• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

Link

The Autumn Wind
I like the update, but I have one major issue. When I've scrolled down somewhere in my library in Album view, and then switch over to the iTunes Store or one of my devices, when I switch back to my library it does not save my scrolled location, and auto scrolls back to the top.

This is infuriating and completely idiotic. Am I doing something wrong here?
This happens in Song view too, and it is indeed annoying. It will also jump to whatever song starts playing on the list, which is a pain in the ass when you're going through your music.

Haha so many sidebar questions. Maybe as part of the tutorial they should show where it is now to turn it back on. Seems to throw a lot of people.

Using the sidebar and status bar with list views in podcasts seems to have everything back to the way it was in 10. I might see if I can get used to the new interface and chop back and forth.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
HOW DO I GO BACK TO OLD ITUNES

I am truly astonished at how many bad design decisions were made here, not even making it an option to go back to the old style. Fuck you Apple. Fuck you so much.

see5harp

Why does that cloud icon next to music, movies, and tv shows on the sidebar show up after every time I quit and restart iTunes? It is linked to the preference "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" and I turn it off but it keeps checking itself again after every restart. I honestly don't even know wtf iTunes in the Cloud purchases is. I don't buy anything from iTunes except apps.

I've unchecked that in settings and it none of that stuff shows up anymore. You may want to try a reinstall.

Link

The Autumn Wind

I am truly astonished at how many bad design decisions were made here, not even making it an option to go back to the old style. Fuck you Apple. Fuck you so much.
Good to see you've been paying attention. Show the sidebar with song view and it looks exactly like it used to with 10.

mrkgoo

Good to see you've been paying attention. Show the sidebar with song view and it looks exactly like it used to with 10.

It's not exactly the same, but close I guess. I'm more astonished that people get so up in arms at some things and can't wrap their heads around a change. I get that there are some strange decisions and some things are worse (I happen to think that more things changed for the worse at a practical use level than we gained, which is mostly on an aesthetic implementation level), but for the most part, it's not crazy insurmountable issues for most.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there really no way to resize in album view? Why would they remove the slider?

LCfiner

Is there really no way to resize in album view? Why would they remove the slider?

Nope. No way to do it. Only for artist view (under view menu)

As for why? my guess is bugs and visual artifacts with expanded view if the album size changed. Hopefully we'll see it return in a point release. Along with the ability to view art in song view. I miss that one.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Because they hate freedom.
So they really just did away with that then? I'm on an HTPC, that was my preferred view. I noticed they slapped obnoxious black arm-bands on all my cloud albums, too.

Stupid iCloud column won't stay hidden in the Songs view - it keeps coming back after restarting the program. I've stashed it all the way to the right where I won't see it.

Also, those album and grid views are totally useless if you like your music on shuffle.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Stupid iCloud column won't stay hidden in the Songs view - it keeps coming back after restarting the program. I've stashed it all the way to the right where I won't see it.

Also, those album and grid views are totally useless if you like your music on shuffle.
Preferences -> Store -> Uncheck Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases

Dice

No it does not. I want my normal text only view, not this overly graphical and padded spacing everywhere view. The list of artists shows like half the amount that it used to and I don't like the new format for the artist column. The graphics are also just one more thing to bloat the shit out of the program and I do not appreciate it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
No it does not. I want my normal text only view, not this overly graphical and padded spacing everywhere view. The list of artists shows like half the amount that it used to and I don't like the new format for the artist column. The graphics are also just one more thing to bloat the shit out of the program and I do not appreciate it.
Sounds like you're in Artist view. Switch it to Song view.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So that my list of artists is only up top so it displays even less?
I think you're confused. See the horizontal row up top that lists "Songs Albums Artists Genres"? Just choose Songs and it'll have the text only list that you can arrange by artist, song, album, etc.

Dice

I think you're confused. See the horizontal row up top that lists "Songs Albums Artists Genres"? Just choose Songs and it'll have the text only list that you can arrange by artist, song, album, etc.
Yes, and that column is stuck to the top. It cannot run down along the side of the program as in artist view.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yes, and that column is stuck to the top. It cannot run down along the side of the program as in artist view.
You said you wanted an all text view, right? It should look like this:

ricerca-itunes-11.png

That's in Spanish, but it's the best example I found online. You should get the gist of it. Is that not what you're looking for?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't see what is so hard to understand.

The artist column should be down the side. Although if it were, this still would have removed the selectable albums. It's either an overly graphical view or this shit.
Weird, mine doesn't look like that at all. But here's something that may help. Go back to Artist view, then select View -> View Options in the Menu Bar. You can reduce the artwork size there. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it will help some.

EDIT - Oh, you have the Column Browser showing. You can turn that off in View too.

Dice

I want the graphics gone and the text back to the size of song view.

Dice

I'm on windows and ctrl+B just removes the menu bar.

Column view looks weird on your one, because you only have one column. Either turn more on, or just turn them all off.
I realized I can turn on the albums column but the artists still don't run down the side as in artist view and these columns are unavailable in artist view. It just flatly shows all the albums in a graphical style which takes scrolling down if you have several albums by the artist.

mrkgoo

Whoop sorry. When I right click on the headings (you only have one heading "Artists", right above your "wasted Space" diagram), it gives me option to turn off the column browser or add/remove what columns I can have on.

Edit: yeah, I don't think the artists will EVER run down the side, except in Artist view. Basically, it's a whole bunch of little removals like this. So if you loved a particular way before and it's gone now, kind of tough luck. It's possible that with enough fervour over it, they might add the options back in.

double edit: heh, and now that you have me looking, I find it really annoying to have less than 3 columns. It looks really stupid to centre the columns like that. And yes, one column looks even more stupid when it's on the top.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Whoop sorry. When I right click on the headings (you only have one heading "Artists", right above your "wasted Space" diagram), it gives me option to turn off the column browser or add/remove what columns I can have on.
It's Ctrl+Shift+B.

Kammie

I realized I can turn on the albums column but the artists still don't run down the side.
You're not going to get a vertical column browser, they took the feature out.

My advice is to adjust... I'm kind of annoyed with some of the things they took out (and hoping they put them back in), but in the end, the aim of the program is to listen to music. Usually I pick what I want and then just minimize anyways.

If you don't care to be tied to iTunes, try MusicBee. The layout is fully customizable, so you can get it like the old iTunes and even modify it further.

Dice

There is no adjusting to horrible, bloated design decisions. It is an objective fact of design and resource use no matter how habitual it becomes. I will not tolerate it.

If you don't care to be tied to iTunes, try MusicBee. The layout is fully customizable, so you can get it like the old iTunes and even modify it further.
Getting it.

Kammie

There is no adjusting to horrible, bloated design decisions. It is an objective fact of design and resource use no matter how habitual it becomes. I will not tolerate it.

Getting it.
I'm with you, I think it looks like crap. ;)

I would switch to MusicBee if I wasn't tied to iTunes due to old DRM'ed songs, my iPods, and all my playcounts. It's a low-resource player that has crazy customization. I tried it out for the first time the other day, and it really impressed me. Fully skinnable, too.

bowery

yall need to chill out this happens everytime x website/program makes x design/layout overhaul....just get used to it like you have before if anything apple is the best at it so put your faith in them

mrkgoo

Getting it.

The 'adjusting' to it, sadly, just means you have to get used to another view, or turn off some of the columns, as I said, I agree, it looks ugly.

I used to use song list to view, then switched to cover flow, then switched to Album view. I think if I actually used iTunes as a window, I'd probably like songlist most, so I can see the annoyance (as it stands, I have iTunes full screened on a different space, just a swipe away).

I'm with you, I think it looks like crap. ;)

I would switch to MusicBee if I wasn't tied to iTunes due to old DRM'ed songs, my iPods, and all my playcounts. It's a low-resource player that has crazy customization. I tried it out for the first time the other day, and it really impressed me. Fully skinnable, too.

Can't you just upgrade most of the DRMed stuff, or do you have a sizeable non-iTunes Plus selection?

I have a few songs that never really upgraded.

Kammie

Can't you just upgrade most of the DRMed stuff, or do you have a sizeable non-iTunes Plus selection?

I have a few songs that never really upgraded.
Sadly, I can't upgrade them. I moved out of the country and no longer have an American credit card, and the files are not compatible with my Latin American account. And I also have others from the French iTunes store.

Easier to stick with iTunes! Plus, I have 7 years of playcounts... no way am I ever getting rid of these in my lifetime.

mrkgoo

Sadly, I can't upgrade them. I moved out of the country and no longer have an American credit card, and the files are not compatible with my Latin American account. And I also have others from the French iTunes store.

Easier to stick with iTunes! Plus, I have 7 years of playcounts... no way am I ever getting rid of these in my lifetime.

Yeah it can become a mess. When I moved countries temporarily, I found it better to just create a new account to use while I was there.

I lost the credit card, but I just get cards periodically and keep the account alive to get content from a different store.

Ashhong

I realized I can turn on the albums column but the artists still don't run down the side as in artist view and these columns are unavailable in artist view. It just flatly shows all the albums in a graphical style which takes scrolling down if you have several albums by the artist.

Dude, I am sooooo goddamn confused as to how you want it. I know you're switching programs but my curiosity has been piqued. Do you have a screenshot to wtf you want? I don't mean the ss showing what you DON'T want.

Kammie

Dude, I am sooooo goddamn confused as to how you want it. I know you're switching programs but my curiosity has been piqued. Do you have a screenshot to wtf you want? I don't mean the ss showing what you DON'T want.
He just wants a vertical browser with the artist list. The red arrow isn't mine, this is just from the net:

No big text for the artists, no pictures next to every artist, no spaces or padding on the right side to take up space. (And note the superior column that lets you enable or disable album art in Song view... they need to bring that crap back)

In iTunes' defense, though, I think the new view, even though it takes up more space, is able to display about an equal amount of songs as before, and at times even a bit more. It just depends on whether your collection consists of albums (good) or singles (bad):

Singles:
3JAX9.png

Albums:
of59V.png
Also, while you can definitely see less artists, I personally almost never scroll through that list. I just click on a random artist, type the first 3 or 4 letters of the artist I want, and I'm there. You can also do this in Album view, which is handy.

Majine

Banned
I kinda wish the Mac App Store would be built-in to iTunes. It's kinda wierd that it's an entire app when iOS apps and everything else is served through iTunes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In iTunes' defense, though, I think the new view, even though it takes up more space, is able to display about an equal amount of songs as before, and at times even a bit more. It just depends on whether your collection consists of albums (good) or singles (bad):
I don't like this view only because it doesn't show me information other than track number, song title, rating and time. I want other info there. Playcount at the very least. That's the only other information I need. Otherwise that view is useless as that lemon shaped rock over there.

Hey guys, is there a way I can make it so my artists are in little squares like the albums. Itunes used to let you choose, now its annoying me and its a pain to cycle through all my artists to find one song.

Appleman

Hey guys, is there a way I can make it so my artists are in little squares like the albums. Itunes used to let you choose, now its annoying me and its a pain to cycle through all my artists to find one song.

I like the new way far better, but you can still just tap the first letter of the artist and scroll a little

Kjellson

Is there anyway to order songs by one artist by time, name etc.? I know you can do it in the Song view, but is it possible to do it just with one artist?

This is my biggest problem with iTunes 11. Hate the new Artist view.

NekoFever

I'm tempted to sign up for iTunes Match so that I can get at my collection when I'm at work, but how is it about matching stuff when the tags don't exactly match what's in the store? I have my own system of genres and frequently edit the titles of albums I download from iTunes – who wants 'Journey™ (Original Soundtrack from the Video Game)' in their album list? – so I'm worried about having to upload practically my entire music library if I sign up.

Incidentally, add the Journey soundtrack to the list of albums that look nice in the new view:

LCfiner

I'm tempted to sign up for iTunes Match so that I can get at my collection when I'm at work, but how is it about matching stuff when the tags don't exactly match what's in the store? I have my own system of genres and frequently edit the titles of albums I download from iTunes – who wants 'Journey™ (Original Soundtrack from the Video Game)' in their album list? – so I'm worried about having to upload practically my entire music library if I sign up.

Incidentally, add the Journey soundtrack to the list of albums that look nice in the new view:

it'll match stuff regardless of the genre tag. I'm not exactly sure what other tags it uses but genre has never been an issue for me.

it'll still do that weird thing where it'll match 9 songs on an album but upload one. better than the ratio when the service launched but still odd. not a deal breaker, though. the convenience is still so great. OTA sync of all metadata and playlists. it's nice.

Fonz72

So, all of my music files have complete information attached to them, but on a large number of tracks iTunes will not display anything but the song name. I have deleted the library and reloaded it and no luck. All files were copy and pasted from my old iTunes folder onto an external drive when I switched to an SSD and then I used add folder to iTunes to add them again. Windows media player displays all info correctly. Any idea how to fix this? Apple forums have been no luck.

Top Bottom