• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

DarkFlow

Banned
Why do you Windows users even bother? There are tons of better media players for Windows that are, and will always be better than iTunes.

As a OSX user, I can't wait for this update. Been too long since iTunes has been revamped.

Because my iPad forces me to use it. I only use it to sync and browse the app store sometimes.

Vyer

Because my iPad forces me to use it. I only use it to sync and browse the app store sometimes.

Are you transferring stuff to the ipad? Music could be covered through iTunes Match, though I understand if people don't want to pay for the service.

But if you aren't transferring anything else, you could always just sync/backup to iCloud. I haven't plugged anything into itunes in more than a year.

DarkFlow

Banned
Are you transferring stuff to the ipad? Music could be covered through iTunes Match, though I understand if people don't want to pay for the service.

But if you aren't transferring anything else, you could always just sync/backup to iCloud. I haven't plugged anything into itunes in more than a year.

I mainly use it to Sync movies. I don't really have any music on it.

Make sure both ATH.exe and iPodmodule.exe service are enabled or iTunes acts borderline retarded. Sometimes having mobileservice disabled makes it go bananas as well.

iTunes for Windows - "That's Not Bloat, That's Well Placed Shit™"

There are many skins for iTunes, here's a skin I'm currently using.

ibmtZAevA08SsA.jpg

We are using Macs, and the iPod Classic worked fine until a month or so ago. So what files should be in use on OSX to ensure it is working?

Enco

Why do you Windows users even bother? There are tons of better media players for Windows that are, and will always be better than iTunes.

As a OSX user, I can't wait for this update. Been too long since iTunes has been revamped.
Because it's not as bad as people say and because I use iTunes Match.

I have an SSD and the speed is perfectly acceptable.

I use it on Windows because I transfer music to my iPhone regularly, that app management and I have it installed on my Mac, I don't want my libraries getting fucked up by some shitty third party app...which has happened to me waaaay too much on my iPods. Obviously the fault is mine, but it's a lesson I've learned well...fuck Songbird yo. That and I'm a UX designer so I like the apps I use to look as nice as the apps I design.

We are using Macs, and the iPod Classic worked fine until a month or so ago. So what files should be in use on OSX to ensure it is working?

You stated it wasn't working on Windows no? iTunes is kinda baked into OSX (by baked in I mean there aren't any rogue services running). I wouldn't be able to help you on the OSX side of things, iTunes has always worked flawless for me on that end. It's just windows I've had so many issues with my iPods not showing up that I've become somewhat of a....genius at fixing the problem.

Mindwipe

iCloud sync breaks or fails to backup app data for a lot of older apps.

Also, not having to use the god forsaken podcast app.

Mindwipe

I'm so glad that the ability to queue songs up has finally been added. As a longtime Foobar user, the fact that I had to make playlists in lieu of setting up a queue was ridiculous.

This. Need on iOS as well now.

Just perform better on windows please

This too. If the iTunes dev team could read how the ****ing window focus is supposed to work in Windows and didn't attempt to grab it every 30 seconds during software updates that would help.

Rootbeer

Banned
10.8 is only $29.99... is the price the reason for some of these upgrade holdouts? My MBP came with 10.6 pre-installed and I've upgraded to 10.7 and now 10.8 with zero issues

Anyway, looking forward to the new iTunes. It's about time.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Can't wait to try it out. I don't really use iTunes that much except to sync music to my iPod, but I've never found it offensive or wonky like some people make it out to be.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
iTunes DJ? I really need to poke about more in these things, I can't see anything in the music player.

Nd2ve.png

Just right click a song and choose one of these two options. And of course the iTunes DJ is the first option under Playlists.

Using Alfred however makes this feature 100x more useful.

Koodo

Banned
10.8 is only $29.99... is the price the reason for some of these upgrade holdouts? My MBP came with 10.6 pre-installed and I've upgraded to 10.7 and now 10.8 with zero issues

Some of us are still on Macs that come from the Tiger and Leopard era.

Installing 10.7+ on them just wouldn't be a cute idea. I realize I'm long overdue for an upgrade.
rsnRP.gif

panda21

i dont get the whole itunes sucks thing. its by far the best software to manage music on an mp3 player i have ever used, and it works just fine for playing music. it does away with the stupid manually arranging music by folder on a disc on your mp3 player paradigm that even android still uses and instead takes care of that automagically through the metadata.

i have a 65gb library and searching is instantaneous and scrolling silky smooth.

i guess it will be nice to have another new shiny version of it but the existing version works just great.

Kammie

i dont get the whole itunes sucks thing. its by far the best software to manage music on an mp3 player i have ever used, and it works just fine for playing music. it does away with the stupid manually arranging music by folder on a disc on your mp3 player paradigm that even android still uses and instead takes care of that automagically through the metadata.

i have a 65gb library and searching is instantaneous and scrolling silky smooth.

i guess it will be nice to have another new shiny version of it but the existing version works just great.
The organization aspects are second to none, and being able to search for specific things through metadata in a matter of seconds is something I use just about every single day. I also don't see how people can recommend something like Winamp over it to manage a collection.

But... I'm starting to think people just have isolated issues, it's not the same thing for everyone based on what I've seen on previous threads here. For example, I never had problems with iTunes in my life. Now all of a sudden I've started to get microstutters at random times, but particularly when a song starts up or I minimize the program. I don't know if it's because I went over a size threshold (my library is over 128 gigs) or what, but changing the sound to safe mode, the audio output latency, etc.--nothing works, and it's driving me nuts. CPU usage is usually at like 5% and I have 8 gigs of RAM, so who knows. Also, the current version of iTunes has a fucking memory leak they haven't fixed since release, it'll skyrocket up to 1100MB of usage and after that, fail to load any further album art and just freeze.

Hopefully this version fixes all this crap for me, because I'm not willing to switch music players. I have 7 years of playcounts here.

bionic77

Wait, are there 3rd party apps to manage apps? So I don't have to sync?
The only reason you need to sync with your computer is if you want to transfer files from the computer to your iOS device or if you want to backup it up to your computer (also possible to do over iCloud if you have enough space).

iNvid02

never had an issue with itunes for a few years now, its insanely useful for people with iOS devices. i'd probably use it even if i didnt have any apple devices

IceCold

I never had a problem with iTunes (on Windows). The only thing I find annoying is that it's slow at changing the metadata of a lot songs at once. Like if you want to change the album art for example.

micster

My second hand MBP came with 10.8 and I intentionally downgraded to 10.6 so I can use my Final Cut Studio on the move with no problems. My main Mac is on Lion and I've no intention of going upwards as Mountain Lion breaks 3rd party plugins in FCP. I can't progress to another OS when it breaks things I need for my job.

I have to bother with it if I want to backup apple product stuff to my pc, my ipad stays away from that but my phone will need regular backups.

NekoFever

Do we know yet how it's going to handle podcasts? I guess they're one of the options in the drop-down in the top left, but the way they've been demoted in iOS makes me paranoid.

Podcast location syncing over iCloud will be awesome, though. That removes one of my major reasons for manually having to sync with iTunes and will make playing them across my iPad and iPhone much less of a hassle.

Not sure what you mean but iTunes has always been a showcase for how the future of OS X will look.

The grey icons on the mini player (in the OP's media) look absolutely horrible to me. Especially the 'X'. Looks cheap, tacky, and reminds me of a Java app UI.
That mini player in general is badly designed, it just looks like a bunch of UI elements thrown in a small space. I expect more from Apple.. even though their software UI design has been pretty bad for a while now.

Why should the mini player take up so much space anyway? You show the album art and the song/artist name.. no need to have a chunky solid gray bar to display that. I know it's optional, but I expect them to put more thought into it and try to do something that has been done before, and better, by third party players. Going all the way back to Audion on OS9.

Apple used to be all about consistent UI a decade ago, it's a shame to see that change.

Top Bottom