• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

MrHicks

Banned
will the windows version finally look like a native windows app or will it still look totally out of place with that fugly metallic OSX look

and i hope they got rid of turning all the catgories grey ("podcasts" "music" etc etc) had to downgrade to a previous version because of it

Kammie

and i hope they got rid of turning all the catgories grey ("podcasts" "music" etc etc) had to downgrade to a previous version because of it
My god, you're using a version that's years old then! Were you aware there have been a ton of performance enhancements since then?

Majine

Banned
Do we know yet how it's going to handle podcasts? I guess they're one of the options in the drop-down in the top left, but the way they've been demoted in iOS makes me paranoid.

Podcast location syncing over iCloud will be awesome, though. That removes one of my major reasons for manually having to sync with iTunes and will make playing them across my iPad and iPhone much less of a hassle.

I fucking hope it syncs with your Podcasts app list and listening status. The iOS app was kind of a mess originally, it's sort of okay now but this would salvage alot of it for me.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I've been using iTunes on Windows for 8+ years, and the worst thing about it is it takes longer to load than foobar - otherwise, everything else works fine. I didn't know that it crashed for some people.

MrHicks

Banned
My god, you're using a version that's years old then! Were you aware there have been a ton of performance enhancements since then?

i only use itunes for podcast subscribing though lol so im good (about 20 podcasts)
i use musicbee for legit music library management

SS-%20Dark.jpg

Sean

Banned
Do we know yet how it's going to handle podcasts? I guess they're one of the options in the drop-down in the top left, but the way they've been demoted in iOS makes me paranoid.

Podcast location syncing over iCloud will be awesome, though. That removes one of my major reasons for manually having to sync with iTunes and will make playing them across my iPad and iPhone much less of a hassle.

iTunes has been long overdue for improvements to podcasts. I would like to see this iCloud support and also speed controls (for listening at 2x speed etc like you can on iOS). Not getting my hopes up though.

JaseMath

I'm actually pretty psyched for this. iTunes has sucked for so long...hopefully it won't contiune to be the resource hog it's been PC.

the last incremental update completely broke iTunes and, more specifically, wireless syncing for me on Win 7 64-bit. I'm not the only one, there's a huge thread on Apple's forums about it.

Basically, AppleMobileDevice.exe and ATH.exe will end up monopolizing your available CPU time unless you manually kill them. So anytime I want to sync, I have to restart my computer, sync, then manually kill the processes. Really sucks.

I'll be happy if they just fix that.

Ominym

Banned
As someone who has hated iTunes for quite some time, I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully it works as good as it looks.

Is it too much to ask that the Windows version doesn't suck (expletive deleted)?

The memory leak issue is so frustrating. I have 9 gigs, yet if I start making the playlists so I can burn 6 CDs for the changer in my car - I get a low memory warning and crashes to the point that the library file is corrupted.

So why do I use iTunes? Airplay + Airport Express my friends. Picking which room gets music through an iPhone as a remote is bad ass.

Covfan

Anybody know of any guides about transferring an iPhone from one PC to another so I can sync my iPhone on another PC. My laptop is on its last legs so I need to start syncing it with the house PC but I don't want to lose all my songs and other stuff off of my phone.

Vyer

Seriously folks, see if there's any way you can switch to syncing with iCloud, do it. Obviously it will vary on a case to case basis, but if possible it's much better to not be dependent on various desktops/laptops.

gblues

Banned
Anybody know of any guides about transferring an iPhone from one PC to another so I can sync my iPhone on another PC. My laptop is on its last legs so I need to start syncing it with the house PC but I don't want to lose all my songs and other stuff off of my phone.

Use the "Home Sharing" section of this article to transfer your iTunes library from your laptop to a different PC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

You can transfer music you purchased from iTunes from your phone to a different PC by clicking File > Transfer Purchases from iPhone, but music you imported from CDs or downloaded from other sources won't transfer this way; the Home Sharing method will grab everything in your library, purchased or not, so it's a better option.

jts

...hate me...
this will haunt me forever
you guys don't forget lol
Hehehe.
I felt like an asshole doing it. But you should be proud for creating a real GAF classic.

Well, back on topic I guess. Still no new iTunes in sight. I'm really thinking Friday. It's just a more common day for Apple to update or release new shit.

10.8 is only $29.99... is the price the reason for some of these upgrade holdouts? My MBP came with 10.6 pre-installed and I've upgraded to 10.7 and now 10.8 with zero issues

Anyway, looking forward to the new iTunes. It's about time.
I am not a fan at all of Mountain Lion. It is trying to confuse itself with an already outdated iOS model instead of making a better desktop experience. Turning "natural" scrolling on by default says it all when even considering an upgrade. Pure crap. Plus my current macbook is from like 2007 or 2008. Now 4 years old isn't super old, and I am aware that it isn't super fresh either, but they purposely throw old releases under the bus for no real reason. I am aware that I kind of knew what I was getting myself into when I bought a mac, but it seems in recent years they have been pushing harder for planned obsolescence.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
So November 29 is in October according to crApple? This wouldn't have happened if Scott Forstall was still around.

Cant wait!

dc89

I don't understand the hate iTunes gets. I use it all the time on my Mac and it's fine.

'iTunes for Windows is like giving a glass of ice water to somebody in Hell'
Steve Jobs

God rest his soul.

I don't understand the hate iTunes gets. I use it all the time on my Mac and it's fine.

Have you ever used it on Windows? I have a very powerful PC and laptop and it is sluggish on both.

This version is coming to late for me, I've switched to cloud (Google).

The problem is that iTunes for Windows is roughly equivalent to giving someone a glass of ice water to somebody in Antarctica: fairly useless and there are better options available.

kaioshade

iTunes on my laptop runs perfectly fine. I am still not seeing the "total bloated piece of crap" that people keep saying. It loads in about a second, and plays my media. And it synchs with my devices.

see5harp

iTunes runs pretty well on my newish PC with a gigantic library. I've gotten used to using iTunes DJ to queue up music. A new coat of paint for the store will be nice I suppose.

I don't use my G5 much anymore, but TenFourFox is great for when I do. Basically, it's FireFox ported to PowerPC Macs, and will run on any G3, G4, or G5 running Tiger or Leopard.

This would've been great to know when my old Mac was alive.
He recently passed on peacefully during start-up.
A few seconds after a button press he went all black and was never heard from again.
It was shocking how sudden it was but I've since come to terms with it.

R.I.P. Mac-aulay

I didn't really name him Macaulay!

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'd just like iTunes Wi-Fi Sync to work more than the 5% of the time that it currently does (for me).

I'd also like it to not run like shit on Windows, but I'll keep my expectations in check for that one.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just hope Alfred continues to work with it.
All I ask is that Bowtie still works with it. Seeing as the developer doesn't even want to update it for Retina, I doubt they'd be rushing to update it for iTunes 11 if it suddenly broke the connection.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
My one request: that it fixes the occasional buffering I get when using home sharing to steam music between Macs. I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy, so it would be swell to have the problem magically fixed.

Top Bottom