• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've never understood the mentality of people who snap discs or break controllers

PK Gaming

I love Mario Sunshine, but those sections were terrible. Except for the Pianta one. That one is easy.

The Pianta section's not too bad in a vacuum, though keep in mind the slightest missed input will cause death (instead of throwing you in a straight line, the pianta's throw you at the slightest angle). The real issue though, is that if you die you have to go through a time consuming process of getting to that section with Yoshi.

ViciousDS

Banned
the fuck

How?

he gets insanely pissed......and will slowly pressure the controller to death until eventually that one final death he goes all in and just snaps the controller. usually its in one of two ways....you get the D-pad by itself on the left with the rest of the controller on the right.....or reverse. Buttons alone in the right hand with everything else on the left. I used to have pictures the one night he snapped the DS4 in half. I'll have to see if his brother still has them somewhere.

Inspector Q

Our ability to control our impulses is a sign of maturity. So not controlling them is a sign of immaturity. They could have an underlying mental or emotional disorder causing the behavior but that doesn't change the fact that it is a childish behavior. If they don't have a mental/emotional disorder and are choosing not to regulate their behaviors as an adult, then they are just being childish.

Or they are just really passionate about whatever activity they are engaging in? I actually like when I see someone flip out every once in a while. It shows me that they care about doing well at their craft. This could be a pro sport, a video game or even their everyday job. Then there are others who couldn't give a damn how they perform.

Once again, though, what is the difference between Novak Djokovic smashing his racquet into the ground and a gamer smashing his controller on the floor? No one calls Djokovic childish or psychotic. He is just an extreme competitor. Basically a sore loser, but some of the best athletes to have ever lived are sore losers.

But whatever, I don't even know what we are all arguing about at this point, lol. I came into this thread to offer some examples of what I had done personally in the past. Then I see people basically taking shots at individuals like me, insinuating that someone who does this probably beats their spouses or shakes their babies, etc.

Anyway, I am done with this thread. I end up wasting too much time when I grow attached to a subject. I will keep looking at peoples' replies and try getting the last word in or whatever. Just takes too much time and isn't worth it.

Take care, hopefully I didn't piss anyone off or anything. Now I am going to go throw my cpu out the window. Later.

I broke an off-brand PSOne controller in a fit of fury after failing a stealth section for the dozenth time in Tenchu 2. Paid for it, because I cracked it in such a way that after it would occasionally give me an electric shock when it rumbled.

I've grown out of the snapping discs or breaking controllers phase.
It just gets too costly to replace.

I do regularly take out the disc and spit on it before hurling it across the room.
Sometimes I punch it aswell.

SigSig

cc-coolfrog.gif

Quit getting mad at videg—

Never happened to me, but I do have a friend who broke his hand while playing Ragnarok Online. He got pissed at our guild because we had lost a castle in WoE and he punched his monitor. It was one of these:

I can relate.

Or they are just really passionate about whatever activity they are engaging in? I actually like when I see someone flip out every once in a while. It shows me that they care about doing well at their craft. This could be a pro sport, a video game or even their everyday job. Then there are others who couldn't give a damn how they perform.

Once again, though, what is the difference between Novak Djokovic smashing his racquet into the ground and a gamer smashing his controller on the floor? No one calls Djokovic childish or psychotic. He is just an extreme competitor. Basically a sore loser, but some of the best athletes to have ever lived are sore losers.

But whatever, I don't even know what we are all arguing about at this point, lol. I came into this thread to offer some examples of what I had done personally in the past. Then I see people basically taking shots at individuals like me, insinuating that someone who does this probably beats their spouses or shakes their babies, etc.

Anyway, I am done with this thread. I end up wasting too much time when I grow attached to a subject. I will keep looking at peoples' replies and try getting the last word in or whatever. Just takes too much time and isn't worth it.

Take care, hopefully I didn't piss anyone off or anything. Now I am going to go throw my cpu out the window. Later.

Your comparison doesnt make sense because professional athletes throwing tantrums are also being childish. In tennis, that's called a code violation. In the NFL it's unsportsmanlike conduct, in soccer it's called unsporting behaviour. It's not OK for athletes either.

It's behavior that people should be trying their damndest to stop doing, and telling people that it's OK is just enabling unhealthy, destructive behavior.

Top Bottom