• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks is really rad, but... well, nothing. It's just rad. Let's read 'em again.

I hope they consider video versions of Iwata Asks for E3 this year.

I remember how they did a few back at E3 2010 when the 3DS was revealed, and they were pretty good.

beril

I hope they consider video versions of Iwata Asks for E3 this year.

I remember how they did a few back at E3 2010 when the 3DS was revealed, and they were pretty good.

The video versions were pretty horrible and felt a lot more stiff and edited than the regular Iwata Asks. Either way I'd much rather have them in text form that I can read at my own leisure than watching a video with people talking in japanese, either with subtitles or stale dubbing.

But seriously, Iwata Asks really needs to make a comeback

Hermii

The video versions were pretty horrible and felt a lot more stiff and edited than the regular Iwata Asks. Either way I'd much rather have them in text form that I can read at my own leisure than watching a video with people talking in japanese, either with subtitles or stale dubbing.

But seriously, Iwata Asks really needs to make a comeback

I agree. I hope he does Gunman Clive next :)

GRW810

I had absolutely no idea Iwata Asks went as far back as the DS era. I thought it was a very recent thing, last two or three years at most.

I also didn't realise there were so many! Going to enjoy reading through a bunch of these.

Elija2

Didn't Iwata (or someone in place of Iwata because he was sick) say at a recent shareholders meeting that they've stopped doing Iwata Asks because they don't reach a broad audience. That kinda sucks if they do stop doing them for good.

Fake edit: Yep. :(

mrmickfran

Didn't Iwata (or someone in place of Iwata because he was sick) say at a recent shareholders meeting that they've stopped doing Iwata Asks because they don't read a broad audience. That kinda sucks if they do stop doing them for good.

Really? That sucks :(

I remember hearing about that camera trick that they demonstrated the in "A Link Between Worlds" Iwata Asks and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Didn't Iwata (or someone in place of Iwata because he was sick) say at a recent shareholders meeting that they've stopped doing Iwata Asks because they don't read a broad audience. That kinda sucks if they do stop doing them for good.

They won't stop completely:
After Mr. Iwata comes back, I believe that we will be able to provide new “Iwata Asks” interview articles.

Victrix

*beard*
I love them, don't care about the PR angle. They are incredibly appealing marketing, and I can count the number of times I could say that with a straight face on one hand.

Sad that they don't reach a large audience, but not entirely surprising to me, people don't read dem words.

As an alternative, Nintendo Direct still feels a little janky, but I appreciate the effort they're making, and it's something they can absolutely improve with time.

I'd miss reading these interviews, they're charming and occasionally offer a rare glimpse into japanese game dev that I don't get to see anywhere else. I'd be sad if it went away entirely for sure.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Takeda:

Since your question derives from the health status of Mr. Iwata, I would like to add some comments about his current status. We appreciate that everyone is concerned about his health condition. Unfortunately, he had no choice but to miss this Annual General Meeting of Shareholders, but in fact we have already started to communicate via email to discuss, for example, business decisions. Since he announced his absence from the Annual General Meeting of Shareholders to our shareholders on June 24, we have received many sympathy messages from all over the world via social media and other means. This is all I can tell you right now, and I know that he himself very much appreciates everyone’s concern for his welfare. After Mr. Iwata comes back, I believe that we will be able to provide new “Iwata Asks” interview articles.

Miyamoto:

Thank you for reading “Iwata Asks.” Actually, Mr. Iwata’s physical condition has nothing to do with the reduced update frequency of these articles. Since over half a year ago, we have been discussing our methods of disseminating information to understand to what extent “Iwata Asks” has been able to deliver our information directly to our consumers. As a result, we came up with the idea that Nintendo should try to attract a more broad audience through a wider range of methods. That is the reason why Mr. Iwata has not been updating “Iwata Asks” as frequently. As Mr. Yamato said, we are aiming for broader communication with consumers in ways that are more diverse from now on.

Seems like conflicting answers, but I hope we do see more.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm still wondering why in the hell we never got an Iwata Asks for Pikmin 3?

Seriously, wtf?

maxcriden

Ah man, love these. Reading the Skyward Sword one and just finished volume one. I thought that was the entirety of it so I'm psyched to read the next part!

javadoze

I hope that Iwata does an interview with Sakurai on Smash4 soon enough. The Brawl and Kid Icarus ones were pretty interesting.

Kathian

Banned
People have suggested they do these in a book from time to time. Maybe an idea to raise money for cancer research? Probably something the community could do?

Azure J

People have suggested they do these in a book from time to time. Maybe an idea to raise money for cancer research? Probably something the community could do?

This + concept art of stuff from the games discussed and I'd pay a very high price for it.

casiopao

They can also do it by volume lol. DS volume 1, Wii Volume 1, 3DS volume 1 and so on.

And i would buy all those shit day one here.^_^

ffdgh

No more iwata asks...when it sinks in...it really hurts.

Would have loved to see what the super mario maker iwata ask.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So does the OP have everything up to date? Looks like it, theres more than I thought actually.

I just happened to update it a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure it has everything but some untranslated interviews for games like Kiki Trick.

Goose_7

Banned
Wow OP, thank you, just thank you.

As someone -like probably all of us on here- he critiques and analyises the gaming industry, you've curated some really sweet stuff here on Nintendo.

Thanks, I'll have a reason to use Pocket on the morning bus to work.

thefro

Iwata Asks is definitely a huge part of Mr. Iwata's legacy.

Very insightful and I've learned a lot about how game development works at Nintendo by reading them.

Top Bottom