• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks is really rad, but... well, nothing. It's just rad. Let's read 'em again.

Vena

So... What happens to Nintendo now? :(

His road plan is set for the foreseeable future, Iwata's legacy will live on. The NX will be his last gift to gamers. Especially for a Japanese company, they will respect his wishes.

I would hope with his deteriorating health that he picked his own successor, and that that person will eventually take over and carry on the torch.

I remember how happy reading the Kirby's Epic Yarn one made me feel. I don't think I could read any of them now without collapsing into tears, but that would get me the most.

I know Iwata is part of the name, so it might be harder to continue on (though they could rename it), but I hope Nintendo will continue to do interviews and articles like this into the future :(

AdanVC

I was SO looking forward to Mario Maker Iwata Asks.... maybe he actually did it and it was his very last Iwata Asks??? Oh my god :'(

Eteric Rice

His road plan is set for the foreseeable future, Iwata's legacy will live on. The NX will be his last gift to gamers. Especially for a Japanese company, they will respect his wishes.

I would hope with his deteriorating health that he picked his own successor, and that that person will eventually take over and carry on the torch.

Yeah, same, But I can't say I'm not worried. Are CEOs even able to appoint successors?

Yeah, I'm pretty worried about all of this.

big_erk

When Steve Jobs died, the same question was asked about Apple, but they are doing just fine. I believe the same will happen for Nintendo.

Companies like Apple and Nintendo have a culture that they nourish. It's from this company culture that people like Tim Cook emerge. People who share the same vision as those that came before.

What will happen? Nintendo will be Nintendo, just not quite a bright for a little while. Iwata brought a light to almost everything he did that I have seen from few others in the industry. You may not have always agreed with what he had to say, but you always listened.

mf luder

I hope we get a final Iwata asks of sorts about Iwata, where some nintendo employees and other devlopers who knew him tell some stories and memories of Iwata.

Sayter

Changed the color of my Mii's shirt to black to mourn his passing. Silly? Probably. But his work at Nintendo made a consider impact in the industry. It's just for a few days. Then I'll change it back.

CazTGG

I hope we get a final Iwata asks of sorts about Iwata, where some nintendo employees and other devlopers who knew him tell some stories and memories of Iwata.

I would personally love to see this, but more along the lines of an hour-long Nintendo Direct where they talk about his accomplishments alongside stories from various developers, from his days at HAL to his rise as CEO, etc.

People have suggested they do these in a book from time to time. Maybe an idea to raise money for cancer research? Probably something the community could do?

I'd be down for this.

If I was going to draft an email to Nintendo in English to ask permission (as the obvious first step), among other things such as preferred charities,et,c they would probably be able to read it, right?

Obviously I wouldn't be doing this for a few days, I need to calm down first and I'm sure his family and friends have it a hundred times worse.

Please tell me someone compiled a PDF of all these.

No, but I'll get on that this week.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
These are so wonderful, so candid and interesting. always thought the series was a great idea.

They need to make an ebook collected version at the very least. But a printed book to commemorate Iwata makes sense, doesn't it?

L Thammy

I'd buy an Iwata Asks book. I don't think just anyone could do interviews like Iwata did, inserting his own experience.

Griss

All of these old Nintendo threads are going to make me tear up for quite some time...

Stuff like Iwata asks made you feel like you weren't a customer, you were part of the company. Like Willy Wonka giving a live tour of a section of his chocolate factory. And Iwata himself was perfect for the genial yet brilliant overseer, a mischievous father figure, funny and spectacularly talented. Sometimes it felt like sitting in on your old man's meetings when you were a kid. It was impossible not to get attached to the man. There wasn't a dislikable bone in his body.

I just don't know what to say, really.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm up for that. Reading these were such a treat since Nintendo isn't as open as other developers, so this was one of those rare times where we'd get a peek into what goes on with these teams.

Vena

I do hope his successor takes up this mantle. It would a terrible loss for this to not to continue in Iwata's stead.

Dryk

I do hope his successor takes up this mantle. It would a terrible loss for this to not to continue in Iwata's stead.
Even so it will never be the same. The man had been working on Nintendo games since the NES, you can't easily replace that sort of insight :(

Never read one of these but loaded up the Skyward Sword one as it's my favorite Nintendo game of the past 6 years or more and it's really neat.

An Iwata Asks compilation in print? I'd buy that, it'd work swell as a coffee-table book, and the project's deserving after everything Iwata went through only to die so abruptly.

Nyoro SF

I don't buy very many books, but that'd be one heck of a book I'd be willing to buy.
This man's input, influence and knowledge of the industry is legendary. All starting from programming games on calculators.

The official document says Miyamoto and Takeda are the current caretakers in charge
I'd imagine they'll just carry on Iwata's plan for the next forseeable years. Until they get a new president and the president really takes over the company. Similarly to how Iwata inherited the GCN/GBA from the previous successor, the next president will inherit NX.

yami4ct

I know Iwata is part of the name, so it might be harder to continue on (though they could rename it), but I hope Nintendo will continue to do interviews and articles like this into the future :(

It was a really brilliant idea. Having someone with development experience talk to developers brought me more into their headspace than any overproduced ViDoc has ever done. These things are truly a treasure trove of information and I hope Nintendo finds some way to continue them.

It sucks that I feel like I never appreciated how truly awesome these were until he was gone.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It was a really brilliant idea. Having someone with development experience talk to developers brought me more into their headspace than any overproduced ViDoc has ever done. These things are truly a treasure trove of information and I hope Nintendo finds some way to continue them.

It sucks that I feel like I never appreciated how truly awesome these were until he was gone.

You could also feel the sincerity and honesty in their interviews so much more. As opposed to some overly produced crap like SE's so called making ofs of the FFXIII games. Where they just talk about how great everyone is and how great SE is.

RK128

So... What happens to Nintendo now? :(

Continue Iwata's legacy and ensure that the NX or whatever their next system is holds the mentalities that Iwata had.

I guess Maymotto, Reggie and Takeda will take over where Iwata left off and do what they can until an 'official' president is selected for the company.

After that....I guess things go back to 'normal'; Nintendo still makes games, support the 3DS and Wii U for as long as they can, release the NX in the future, and continue making strong games while also doing everything they were working on until today (Universal Theme Parks, TV/Movie/ect deals, Amiibo getting bigger, Letting third parties play around with Nintendo franchises ala Hyrule Warriors, ect).

Nintendo will be fine....but I wouldn't be surprised if Iwata's passing has huge effects on the company as a whole going forward.

The thing we can all expect is the next Nintendo Direct or Presentation to be much more mournful or feel saddening :'(.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
If you take all 131 of Iwata Asks and convert them to PDFs (assuming there's an average of 16 pages per article), it comes to 2096 total pages.

At that point, the thing ceases to be a coffee table book and becomes the coffee table.

J2 Cool

Never seem these, they're fantastic insight into the games, like how Mario's developed since Galaxy is really interesting to me. Definitely bookmarked for a lot of reading.

chiimisu

I would personally love to see this, but more along the lines of an hour-long Nintendo Direct where they talk about his accomplishments alongside stories from various developers, from his days at HAL to his rise as CEO, etc.

That would be perfect.

If you take all 131 of Iwata Asks and convert them to PDFs (assuming there's an average of 16 pages per article), it comes to 2096 total pages.

At that point, the thing ceases to be a coffee table book and becomes the coffee table.

I'd still be down to get an Iwata Asks Coffee Table.

Welp. I had 2700+ pages coffee table book once (don't ask), I won't mind a 2000-page one.

Edit: Or better, we can have Iwata Ask series. DS volume, Wii Volume etc.

Jintor

Multiple books, problem solved

Top Bottom