• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks: Wii U Chat

madmackem

Video chat is better than no chat period

just cover the camera lense

Meh, ive been holding onto the hope party chat like system was in just they hadnt annouced it yet. I know a few of my friends wont touch a wii u now it has become that vital to them.

qq more

Meh, ive been holding onto the hope party chat like system was in just they hadnt annouced it yet. I know a few of my friends wont touch a wii u now it has become that vital to them.

I'm hoping it'll be at least a feature that will be added on a firmware update. For now I'm okay with Video Chat (except for having to end the game), but yeah I can see why it would annoy some as is.

madmackem

I'm hoping it'll be at least a feature that will be added on a firmware update. For now I'm okay with Video Chat (except for having to end the game), but yeah I can see why it would annoy some as is.

I hope, i thought they would be more aware of features people have been crying out for on ps3 and feature that has more or less made live what it is.

Medalion

Banned
Multi party chat is something that we have not been informed of yet

If it's only between 2 people that's not as handy

AzaK

Of course.

huh?

Anyway with a freaking GB of RAM there should be no need for ending a game. That's the kind of compromise you have to make when you have limitations.

Why the fuck did they reserve 1 GB of RAM for the OS if you cannot have it run all its functionality alongside a game.

wtf.

I have to say that having to end your game to take a call is rather sad. It's unlikely you'll have a chance to save it before quitting either.

We do know that the Wii U doesn't multitask. Therefore it would not surprise me if any "Home" menu processing is actually running on the secondary ARM's or built into the games just like Wii. In this case, those menus can't actually run on the main CPU and use it's resources.

Nintendo may have to add multitasking to their system to get this to work, which in all honesty means it won't happen.

Multi party chat is something that we have not been informed of yet

If it's only between 2 people that's not as handy

If you're talking about video chat then we do know that it's only between 2 people.

Medalion

Banned
Just saying that a next gen system should at least have last gen features.

Just beause something was done before, doesn't mean everyone will follow suit with it if they're only going to copy what was done before... this is Nintendo we're talking about, they like putting their own spin on shit all the time

Quitting out of a game and no more LED-lit optical drive means this is pretty much useless, unless all games feature a quick save option. I would never schedule private video calls and I guess I'm not alone. Iwata better shows his coders the pimp hand so this gets fixed soon.

That's nice... what does that knowledge or resource setup have to do with Nintendo, or even the desire for them to set it up in the first place?
Well they could've devoted resources to something like that is the point I guess, although it's clear that their aim was totally different when developing Wii U chat. Still, I'm inclined to agree even though I don't use voice chat. Not including it from the start when you have lots of computing resources available is a strange omission.

We do know that the Wii U doesn't multitask. Therefore it would not surprise me if any "Home" menu processing is actually running on the secondary ARM's or built into the games just like Wii. In this case, those menus can't actually run on the main CPU and use it's resources.
Since when do we know that? How is all the other stuff running in the background then?

Medalion

Banned
Not so strange... if we had an XBOX live cross system voice chat, the amount of swearing and harassment would be on the Nintendo Network... a family friendly franchise.

I just want cross game voice chat. Video chat is nice, but that does not make my gaming experience any better, especially if I have to end the game to do it.

Medalion

Banned
No cross-game chat at all? With a freaking gig of RAM reserved for OS functions?

Damn. :(

Cross game is only if the game developer implements it

The freaking RAM for the OS probably is being used for background Miiverse stuff, and probably not very well optimized

AzaK

There is obviously some form of multitasking for things like notifications and stuff, but I have read before that it won't/can't "multiask" as we think of when we think of desktops. Again it's just something I recall and I can't find the source.

I think it's safe to say that this is exactly what I figured when Nintendo didn't talk much about OS features for so long... It's incomplete and thus disappointing. The simple fact that Iwata himself mentions they should fix the video chat ending the game is a clear sign that the OS wasn't really ready for prime time.

On the positive side, this boasts well for future features, and the 1GB in reserve seems now like it's much more of a "We don't know where we're going to end up, so we have to keep it in reserve till we know". Hopefully by the end of the first year we'll get some better OS features including not having to close games to video chat AND get some of the extra ram free'd up.

Medalion

Banned
For all intents and purposes, for Nintendo's first HD system... it will have a lot of bugs to iron out, even more than the 360 and PS3 did when they first launched

The simple fact that Iwata himself mentions they should fix the video chat ending the game is a clear sign that the OS wasn't really ready for prime time.

Which is really unacceptable considering how long they've had to iron all this stuff out. I could understand the 3DS. It was rushed out and showed with the complete lack of software for it.

For all intents and purposes, for Nintendo's first HD system.

This has nothing to do with graphical ability though. This is stuff they should have been readying years ago. Instead it seems they completely didn't invest in any kind of online system and quickly tried to correct that.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
No standard in-game chat for all games is understandable since it's clearly a lot easier to moderate text than audio but no cross game chat between friends is pathetic. Hopefully it's something they will add in a future firmware update but it should really be there day 1.

Medalion

Banned
Which is really unacceptable considering how long they've had to iron all this stuff out. I could understand the 3DS. It was rushed out and showed with the complete lack of software for it.

This has nothing to do with graphical ability though. This is stuff they should have been readying years ago. Instead it seems they completely didn't invest in any kind of online system and quickly tried to correct that.

When I say HD system, it was just a general term... is not just about graphics, that they even tried to be as ambitious to implement these many online features when they've been very shy to embrace online in the first place

I have to end my game if I want to use the video chat, great. Sooooo...what's the point of having at least a gig of RAM reserved for the OS then? The browser doesn't seem to use it and neither does video chat. Will TVii or anything else take advantage of it? Anyways, still a cool feature, hopefully we'll get a Skype app eventually.

Ending the game seems like it makes it a bit pointless. Pausing the game, then having a chat about if you want to play online or whatever, then having the option to join them, now that'd be how it would be useful.

J.W.Crazy

I have to say that having to end your game to take a call is rather sad. It's unlikely you'll have a chance to save it before quitting either.

Nintendo may have to add multitasking to their system to get this to work, which in all honesty means it won't happen.

If you're talking about video chat then we do know that it's only between 2 people.

There is obviously some form of multitasking for things like notifications and stuff, but I have read before that it won't/can't "multiask" as we think of when we think of desktops. Again it's just something I recall and I can't find the source.

They've already shown multitasking with the browser.

Wii U Internet Browser Trailer

At 1:30 he pauses the game to use the browser then goes back to the game.

Medalion

Banned
I have to end my game if I want to use the video chat, great. Sooooo...what's the point of having at least a gig of RAM reserved for the OS then? The browser doesn't seem to use it and neither does video chat. Will TVii or anything else take advantage of it? Anyways, still a cool feature, hopefully we'll get a Skype app eventually.

I love the fact people keep pointing this out about the 1gig of RAM... as if it was only dedicated to that one application of cross game chat... there must be other functions being used or being reserved for future applications that is being reserved

madmackem

I know about 524. Nintendo is doomed.

Cross game party chat has become a pretty large feature for the core market though, not having it in just adds to the im waiting till the next xbox ps etc excuses. I cant work this system out, in one way its more core than the last nintendo console on the other its not core focused enough missing bog standard features.

Medalion

Banned
And here I thought core gaming was about the games, and not just about shit-talking with strangers during a deathmatch

sure there is going to be tons of fixes and updates to refine the shit out of it as we beta test it because it's going to feel like a beta test.

hatchx

Banned
By 'end the game' are you sure they didn't just mean pause the game? They actually mean QUIT the game you're in?

If I'm in the middle of a game, and the little light bleeps, I can't just pause the game, take the call, and get back to the game? I have to quit the whole game? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

Iwata: There must be technical hurdles involved, but I hope this is an area that we can improve on in the future. What if the other person's Wii U isn't turned on, or if they aren't logged in?

Tamiya: They wouldn't be able to tell from the Wii U, but you can leave a message that appears in the messages list on Wii U Chat, and also through a message on Miiverse.

This is sorta ridiculous. We are supposed to call people on our friend's list even if their Wii U might not even be turned on? And we'll have no idea? Will it just keep ringing?! This basically means I need to pre-arrange any voice calls. Why can't I see which of my friends have their Wii U turned on or not? Hell even the 3DS can do that. Can I safely deduce from this it will be quite a challenge joining a friend's came....more challenging than joining a friend on 3DS? Bahhh

neoanarch

Cross game party chat has become a pretty large feature for the core market though, not having it in just adds to the im waiting till the next xbox ps etc excuses. I cant work this system out, in one way its more core than the last nintendo console on the other its not core focused enough missing bog standard features.

I'm calling bullshit on that and anyone who claims it.

Medalion

Banned
I use the 3DS as a model of what is going to happen

Some functions you can enter into without quitting your game but most bigger apps WILL require you to quit that before you launch the new one

AzaK

I know about 6 people who won't be buying the Wii U without some form of cross-game chat.

I understand people want it, but saying you won't buy a system because of it makes me think they weren't really going to get it anyway.

They've already shown multitasking with the browser.

Wii U Internet Browser Trailer

At 1:30 he pauses the game to use the browser then goes back to the game.

Yeah, there's a disconnect between that and what I read so it's probably best to forget what I said until I can dig up some more information.

deviljho

so basically, people don't like Nintendo's incomplete and less robust OS communication features. and the possibility of Nintendo updating in the future is also unacceptable, because it should have been day 1 because this is 2012?

i'm not sure Nintendo will give everyone what they want, but if, down the road, they do, let's hope that people are just as excited about it as they are upset.

By 'end the game' are you sure they didn't just mean pause the game? They actually mean QUIT the game you're in?

In Japanese:

Satoru Iwata said:
ただ、そのとき遊んでいたゲームは、一度終了する必要があるんですよね?
Fumihiko Tamiya said:
そうですね、終了する必要があります。

They use the word 終了 (shuuryou), which means to end. If they'd meant pause, they would've used the word 中止 (chuushi) or the foreign loan word for pause, ポーズ (poozu).

so basically, people don't like Nintendo's incomplete and less robust OS communication features. and the possibility of Nintendo updating in the future is also unacceptable, because it should have been day 1 because this is 2012?

Basically... but as long as my Wii U plays Nintendo games everything else is gravy to me.

JaxJag

Banned

Cross-game private chat has been a feature of the Xbox 360 since 2005. Party chat has been on the 360 since 2007 or so. It's a giant redflag that Nintendo is failing to include features that are 7 years old, on hardware that's supposedly superior.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I'll promise you both the 720 and the PS4 won't omit these features at launch. It is indeed 2012.

hatchx

Banned
They use the word 終了 (shuuryou), which means to end. If they'd meant pause, they would've used the word 中止 (chuushi) or the foreign loan word for pause, ポーズ (poozu).

Considering I can browse the internet while a game is paused, this seems a little weird/half-assed.

岩田
ただ、そのとき遊んでいたゲームは、
一度終了する必要があるんですよね?
民谷
そうですね、終了する必要があります。
岩田
いくつか技術的なハードルはありますが、
ここは将来改善できるといいですね。

Japanese version: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/interview/hardware/vol6/index2.html

My translation
Iwata
However when [you get a call] you are required to end the game, aren't you?

Tamiya
Yes, you are required to end the game.

Iwata
There are a few technical hurdles, however it would be good if we could improve this in the future, wouldn't it?

EDIT: Damnit Cheese!

AzaK

i'm not sure Nintendo will give everyone what they want, but if, down the road, they do, let's hope that people are just as excited about it as they are upset.

Well to be fair, it's been on other systems for donkey's years and Nintendo has had 6 years to work on their next system so you'd think they'd have built a system that could handle multitasking as a general OS feature and therefore it'd be easy to have.

It's not something I'm particularly worried about but I still get a little frustrated with them for 1/2 arseing so many things after having such a long time to sort it out.

Watanabe: With Vidyo's technology, their communication method is capable of monitoring the connection status in real time and dynamically adjusts the signal to the optimum bitrate so there are minimum amount of interruptions. Because of this, when there's a problem with the network, the resolution is lowered slightly, but you can still watch the video without noticing much of a difference. I think that's a huge thing.
Things like this crack me up. Software has been doing this for over a decade and Nintendo make it sound like they are doing some new fandangled thing that will make the Wii U implementation like no other. Nintendo are either extremely naive and think they are being cutting edge, or they're just trying to market to the masses. I asssume the latter, but they do this ALL the time in Iwata Asks.

I'll promise you both the 720 and the PS4 won't omit these features at launch. It is indeed 2012.
But they are not coming until at least 2013!

jonno394

Cross-game private chat has been a feature of the Xbox 360 since 2005. Party chat has been on the 360 since 2007 or so. It's a giant redflag that Nintendo is failing to include features that are 7 years old, on hardware that's supposedly superior.

Do you have to be a gold subscriber for this?

Hobby

Wii U does feature some multi-tasking.

From Wii U's JP site:

ftSyH.jpg

The "Home Button Menu" can be called up at any time

The Home Button Menu can be displayed at any time from the Gamepad's Home Button. Software such as Miiverse, the Internet browser, and Nintendo eShop, along with the instruction manual, can be called up at any time from the Home Button Menu and operated without ending the software being used.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/features/index.html

deviljho

It's not something I'm particularly worried about but I still get a little frustrated with them for 1/2 arseing so many things after having such a long time to sort it out.

And it's a very fair point. Not sure how they allocate resources and prioritize these things.

Top Bottom