• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks: Wii U Chat

Terrell

If that was the case why did they bother updateing the os on ps3 to add things over time? and then add party chat to psvita.

Differences in priorities with PS3 (as I said, a conscious decision not to include it) and an opportunity to try the feature inclusion on what they THOUGHT was going to be a hot seller in the Vita.

Once again, people expected it in the PS3, a system that really needed it, and they prioritized away from that and put it in a product people didn't already own.

Differences of opinion, mistakes, lapses in judgment, WHATEVER you want to call them.... they happen, and often go against the grain with our personal expectations.

This situation is no different. At least in this situation, we can have hope that Nintendo will listen. This major online implementation thing is a bit new for them, a few missteps are expected and I have no doubt they're ready and willing to take consumer feedback and have the hardware means to implement what's needed. Iwata himself even states that he expects improvement and refinement. That 1GB probably isn't fully utilized but was given for "shit we may have to consider adding to the OS later".

madmackem

Differences in priorities with PS3 (as I said, a conscious decision not to include it) and an opportunity to try the feature inclusion on what they THOUGHT was going to be a hot seller in the Vita.

Once again, people expected it in the PS3, a system that really needed it, and they prioritized away from that and put it in a product people didn't already own.

Differences of opinion, mistakes, lapses in judgment, WHATEVER you want to call them.... they happen, and often go against the grain with our personal expectations.

This situation is no different. At least in this situation, we can have hope that Nintendo will listen. This major online implementation thing is a bit new for them, a few missteps are expected and I have no doubt they're ready and willing to take consumer feedback and have the hardware means to implement what's needed. Iwata himself even states that he expects improvement and refinement. That 1GB probably isn't fully utilized but was given for "shit we may have to consider adding to the OS later".

I hope your right and it is patched in because rightly or wrongly it will put some off even giving the system a chance.

Terrell

I hope your right and it is patched in because rightly or wrongly it will put some off even giving the system a chance.

Well, when you get your Wii U, if you feel like the feature should be there, tell Nintendo. I mean, telling GAF isn't terribly effective in getting the point across to the people who need to hear it, much as some of us think otherwise.

I know I have my email at the ready with a litany of things I want them to expand on.

Nickovic

Can you send text messages to friends cross games? The friends list is one of the mutli-task enabled apps does anyone know if you can send messages from that?

Also, is it true that if you don't answer the call that a video message can be left?

madmackem

Well, when you get your Wii U, if you feel like the feature should be there, tell Nintendo. I mean, telling GAF isn't terribly effective in getting the point across to the people who need to hear it, much as some of us think otherwise.

I know I have my email at the ready with a litany of things I want them to expand on.

Come on if they have there finger on the pulse of console gaming atm they damn well know people like party chat. They just have to look at the shit sony got for not having it. It will be interesting to see what outlets like giantbomb and the like make of the os and the lack of features when they can talk about them in the coming days weeks.

Erethian

Can you send text messages to friends cross games? The friends list is one of the mutli-task enabled apps does anyone know if you can send messages from that?

Also, is it true that if you don't answer the call that a video message can be left?

A message can be left, though whether it's a video message or text message isn't clear.

As for communicating with people during a game, you can access Miiverse conversations.

Nickovic

A message can be left, though whether it's a video message or text message isn't clear.

As for communicating with people during a game, you can access Miiverse conversations while playing a game.

Oh well, that's a slight step up from whats offered on the 3DS, I'm happy enough as long as I can send a message within the game.

Terrell

Come on if they have there finger on the pulse of console gaming atm they damn well know people like party chat. They just have to look at the shit sony got for not having it. It will be interesting to see what outlets like giantbomb and the like make of the os and the lack of features when they can talk about them in the coming days weeks.

Sony's customers are Sony's customers. They should rightfully only give a shit about THEIR customers and the ones they KNOW they will lose from the lack of feature inclusion. Not every angry Sony customer is a potential customer for Nintendo, and they know that. Like most corporations, as well, they understand that the internet over-inflates the severity of problems beyond the scope of those it effects, so unless Nintendo is reading Sony's inbox, they have no proper gauge to the legitimate importance of the feature or how many customers of Sony it genuinely effects negatively. Only Sony can know that.

Nintendo doesn't typically look over their shoulder to see which hurdle the other racer tripped over, either, they're worried about the ones they are about to trip over if they don't pay attention to what's in their own lane in front of them.

We do know that the Wii U doesn't multitask. Therefore it would not surprise me if any "Home" menu processing is actually running on the secondary ARM's or built into the games just like Wii. In this case, those menus can't actually run on the main CPU and use it's resources.

... lol you can't be serious. Outside of Miiverse running all the time even while playing a game, the screenshot function running at all time, yeah... WiiU doesn't multi task.

The Video Chat app seems to be poorly optimized and with Iwatas comment about hoping to improve upon it with updates, you can tell that they're not happy with it's current form either.

While having cross-game videochat functionality (by pausing the game, or keeping it running) would be neat, I could see how it might negatively affect gameplay running a game/videochat at the same time.

With that said, here's hoping some games, that are slightly less graphically intensive, might allow for videochat on the gamepad, in a corner or something, while you play.
Audio-only cross-game chat functionality needs to be implemented and available no matter which game you play though.

I seriously don't get what the Wii U needs 1GB of OS ram for, here's to hoping they'll give away all but 256MB to the developers next year.

Enkidu

... lol you can't be serious. Outside of Miiverse running all the time even while playing a game, the screenshot function running at all time, yeah... WiiU doesn't multi task.

The Video Chat app seems to be poorly optimized and with Iwatas comment about hoping to improve upon it with updates, you can tell that they're not happy with it's current form either.
Didn't the original Miiverse video from E3 suggest that you could pause the game, video chat, and then resume? I'm guessing they were aiming for that type of functionality but something didn't quite work out so that had to ship it as is.

madmackem

Sony's customers are Sony's customers. They should rightfully only give a shit about THEIR customers and the ones they KNOW they will lose from the lack of feature inclusion. Not every angry Sony customer is a potential customer for Nintendo, and they know that. Like most corporations, as well, they understand that the internet over-inflates the severity of problems beyond the scope of those it effects, so unless Nintendo is reading Sony's inbox, they have no proper gauge to the legitimate importance of the feature or how many customers of Sony it genuinely effects negatively. Only Sony can know that.

Nintendo doesn't typically look over their shoulder to see which hurdle the other racer tripped over, either, they're worried about the ones they are about to trip over if they don't pay attention to what's in their own lane in front of them.

Its not about just customers of sony etc, its about being aware of where the console space is right now and right now being connected with your friends while gaming is pretty high up there for the core online gamer.

deviljho

right now being connected with your friends while gaming is pretty high up there for the core online gamer.

I would argue that Nintendo is attempting to innovate in this regard with the touchscreen text messages and doodling.

While Nintendo may be slow on delivering this particular feature (or not at all), people forget the things that Nintendo has done right for a few decades now. Very few people praise Nintendo on the build quality of their hardware for all those decades. And considering the "console space" as you put it, that's something to be admired. The actual tech in Nintendo's hardware is neat, even though the "graphical horsepower" might be lacking.

There are reasons that the Xbox 360 had the RRoD problems. And there are reasons Nintendo's online network features have been lacking. I could go on, but you get the point. It's still a business run by people making decisions.

Just beause something was done before, doesn't mean everyone will follow suit with it if they're only going to copy what was done before... this is Nintendo we're talking about, they like putting their own spin on shit all the time

Sounds like Sony trying to make excuses for lack of rumble in their controllers at the beginning of this generation.

Not so strange... if we had an XBOX live cross system voice chat, the amount of swearing and harassment would be on the Nintendo Network... a family friendly franchise.

XBL has the ability to auto mute anyone not on your approved friends list.

For all intents and purposes, for Nintendo's first HD system... it will have a lot of bugs to iron out, even more than the 360 and PS3 did when they first launched

Everyone keeps saying that the WiiU is a next gen system so they will be held to the standards of a next gen system.

No but vita does, a sign that they listen to the outcry from fans on the ps3, and no doubt if it was possible due to os footprint they wouldve added it on ps3 long ago.

Not all Vita games support party chat. Game by game basis on Vita.

Neo C.

Which is really unacceptable considering how long they've had to iron all this stuff out. I could understand the 3DS. It was rushed out and showed with the complete lack of software for it.

The 3DS wasn't rushed out. Compared to the DS, they had more time to invest into details. The 3DS and the Wii U launches show that Nintendo is at limit with its current ressources though. I hope Iwata figures out how to employ more people while still sailing a tight ship.

majik13

Has there been any word on cross game party chat?

just by reading a few comments above you can see it currently looks like it is not an option, and voice chat in general is on a game by game basis.(like BLOPS 2, AC3)

OS level communication seems to be relegated to miiverse text
and the stand alone wii u chat.

AzaK

The best thing to to, as EC (I think) already said is to let Nintendo know that you want it. Complain here all you like, or boycott the console if it's that important but unless you're going to contact Nintendo and tell them then it will not change.

deviljho

The best thing to to, as EC (I think) already said is to let Nintendo know that you want it. Complain here all you like, or boycott the console if it's that important but unless you're going to contact Nintendo and tell them then it will not change.

What's the best way to contact them about things like this? And should there be an organized effort similar to what the Operation Rainfall folks did? I really don't have any faith in NOA when it comes to conveying messages.

Grassroots seems to work for Obama...

So Tamiya is the one I should drop kick in the face for Nintendo's horribad online if I ever see him. Hmm, not sure I can take him, I can definitely take Watanabe though. Either way, Tamiya didn't show proper obsequiouness, thought Watanabe did of course. I could take him.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
What's the best way to contact them about things like this? And should there be an organized effort similar to what the Operation Rainfall folks did? I really don't have any faith in NOA when it comes to conveying messages.

Grassroots seems to work for Obama...

The Club Nintendo game surveys they frequently send out seem like the best opportunity. Especially the "Is there anything you found disappointing in this game?" question.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Having to quit a game to video chat is a significant problem.

Even so, I can't help but think the real issue we're seeing here, as alluded to upthread, is prioritization. It's disingenuous to simply write problems like this off with "Well it's Nintendo, so they don't try."

Which is wrong. It's clear right now that they DID try, and try quite a bit, in the form of Miiverse. There's a more comprehensive internal social network in place there than either PSN or Xbox Live currently accomplishes. There is clearly a lot of thought, engineering, and research in their social network for what they want it to be like.

The real culprit seems to be that, for the moment and for system launch, they heavily prioritized getting their vision for Miiverse fully functional over other services and features. Iwata alluded to this months ago when he cautioned people not to expect Wii U to have literal 1:1 feature parity with the other platforms. Both because they were still catching up (hell, he was honest enough to flatly admit this), and because they were focused on leveraging Miiverse since they felt it was unique and a selling point.

Some people will look at what their features currently lack and respond with: bah, without _____ industry standard feature, none of it matters and it's worthless. That kind of absolutism is very shortsighted, imo.

Once the thing is out in the wild, we'll see how it works out in practice. A constant social stream across all games and activities is nothing to sneeze at, and obviously firing off text messages and sketches is right there at all times.

That said, Nintendo does need to expand on Iwata's remark here and clarify that they're going to be actively adding major OS features as time goes by. For all that people point out the 360 launched with cross game voice chat, by the same token it did NOT launch with a variety of bedrock features, such as background downloading and even download queues. Those were added across several firmware updates. Plus tons of other features now standard.

Top Bottom