• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks: Wii U Chat

J.W.Crazy

Cross-game private chat has been a feature of the Xbox 360 since 2005. Party chat has been on the 360 since 2007 or so. It's a giant redflag that Nintendo is failing to include features that are 7 years old, on hardware that's supposedly superior.

The PS3 doesn't have cross-game or party chat does it? I think this is just a reflection of Nintendo being Japanese. I wonder if NoA will be able to pressure them for updates. I don't think Wii U will be held back the same as Wii in that regard, it's more capable of being updated in the same way as the 360 and PS3.

deviljho

I wonder if NoA will be able to pressure them for updates.

46jc3.gif

Matt

We do know that the Wii U doesn't multitask. Therefore it would not surprise me if any "Home" menu processing is actually running on the secondary ARM's or built into the games just like Wii. In this case, those menus can't actually run on the main CPU and use it's resources.

That's not true. Games get limited to one core when suspended.

Kenturoxx

I think that Nintendo is going to add party chat through some kind of update/app in the future. I think it was pretty clear once they said you can only video chat with one person.

jonno394

So what's the reason for no cross-game private chat?

And just a FYI. Steam has party chat, and it's completely free.

I gave no reason, i specifically referred to party chat due to not having One.

Steam is on the pc. Those things can do everything, we're talking consoles here ;)

madmackem

The PS3 doesn't have cross-game or party chat does it? I think this is just a reflection of Nintendo being Japanese. I wonder if NoA will be able to pressure them for updates. I don't think Wii U will be held back the same as Wii in that regard, it's more capable of being updated in the same way as the 360 and PS3.

No but vita does, a sign that they listen to the outcry from fans on the ps3, and no doubt if it was possible due to os footprint they wouldve added it on ps3 long ago.

What I really want is a return of the Weather Channel and Photo Channel. So far we have not even seen if there's a media player on Wii U. There's one on 3DS so one can only hope that they didn't forget about it.

deviljho

No but vita does, a sign that they listen to the outcry from fans on the ps3, and no doubt if it was possible due to os footprint they wouldve added it on ps3 long ago.

Vita does? Nintendo must either not care to implement it, or is busy doing other things it thinks is more important.

Iwata does say they want to improve on that particular issue. It is strange though that you can't suspend the game, like you already do with the Home button, and chat during that. CPU/GPU usage wouldn't clash while the game is suspended, presumably.

Based on Iwata's words, I'd guess it actually was their intention to do something like that, and they couldn't pull it off in time for launch. As it is right now, taking a call is disruptive to the game experience (either you ignore it until later, or you lose your game progress that hasn't been saved), not a natural extension.

J.W.Crazy

Sometimes when Reggie introduces a new feature I get the feeling he's just hearing about it himself. After hearing developers say Nintendo was actually taking their suggestions (pro controller, click-able sticks) I figured maybe they'd ask NoA for some input too. It's only their single biggest market after all, they could try to cater to it once in a while.

It's really got Vita flying of the shelves! I'm sure Nintendo's taken notice.

They're very insular. I doubt something like that would even stand out to them. Look at the 3DS with Swapnote. It's the antithesis of Live. I wonder how many MS points Blops 2 stationary would go for?

I love the fact people keep pointing this out about the 1gig of RAM... as if it was only dedicated to that one application of cross game chat... there must be other functions being used or being reserved for future applications that is being reserved

Obviously they intend on using the RAM for various other possible future applications (well, one would hope so). I was just saying this is but one example of the extra RAM seemingly not being taken advantage of early on and a missed opportunity in that sense.

madmackem

It's really got Vita flying of the shelves! I'm sure Nintendo's taken notice.

They're very insular. I doubt something like that would even stand out to them. Look at the 3DS with Swapnote. It's the antithesis of Live. I wonder how many MS points Blops 2 stationary would go for?

It had a big impact on 360 sales imho, and sony are well aware that its a feature people now expect with an online service.

deviljho

Obviously they intend on using the RAM for various other possible future applications (well, one would hope so). I was just saying this is but one example of the extra RAM seemingly not being taken advantage of early on and a missed opportunity in that sense.

Maybe they didn't have the time to have it ready for launch. Or it's not a missed opportunity for them cause they don't care. Who knows.

Let's all just get ready for a Crytek Metroid... just maybe, I hope.

J.W.Crazy

lol. Iwata told Nintendo.

You don't think that despite their Blue Ocean strategy Nintendo's still very Japan oriented? Things like Mario Kart have a universal appeal but a lot of what the do is clearly not aimed at the western market. It's a complaint I've seen levied against them many times and one I'm inclined to agree with.

Terrell

sure there is going to be tons of fixes and updates to refine the shit out of it as we beta test it because it's going to feel like a beta test.

So in other words, you're saying "welcome to XBL circa 2005"?

Yeah, like pretty much every online service before it, it won't start perfect. NONE of them do, not even GAF's sacrosanct online paradise, Steam.

Cross-game private chat has been a feature of the Xbox 360 since 2005. Party chat has been on the 360 since 2007 or so.

And if this were the successor to the 360, I would be alarmed. But it's not.

I'll promise you both the 720 and the PS4 won't omit these features at launch. It is indeed 2012.

Yeah, they'll omit backwards compatibility and non-proprietary storage options instead. TO THE FUTURE.

This would all suck if there wasn't a chance to add features to the OS.
Exactly.

majik13

so with having to end the game, that basically means no one will ever use this feature as intended, people will try it once maybe, and then that's it.

If I am playing a game, then most likely, I will just text some one.

Video chat has never been a big feature on anything anyways, as it is too involved, and kinda slow.

Really all they had to do was have party chat and a quick messaging system. That works in the background OS level.

If it is not at launch. Then I am not holding my breath for an update. It just seems Nintendo doesnt want to do that, but instead in its place, do something quirky and different.

madmackem

So in other words, you're saying "welcome to XBL circa 2005"?

Yeah, like pretty much every online service before it, it won't start perfect. NONE of them do, not even GAF's sacrosanct online paradise, Steam.

And if this were the successor to the 360, I would be alarmed. But it's not.

Yeah, they'll omit backwards compatibility and non-proprietary storage options instead. TO THE FUTURE.

Exactly.

Come on so your saying because wii didnt have party chat then wii u 7 years later gets a free pass even though its become an expected feature?.

Terrell

Come on so your saying because wii didnt have party chat then wii u 7 years later gets a free pass even though its become an expected feature?.

Sony added it to a portable that doesn't sell, rather than their home console that was desperately in need to feature-match its biggest rival.

I'm saying that something expected isn't always what we get. We'll see a lot of that next year, too, but in different ways, I can assure you of that.

I would have liked it there, too. It's not there at launch? Sucks, but I'll either shit or get off the pot about it. I can give my feedback to Nintendo now and expect an OS update to add it in later, not gonna piss and moan about something not being there just because I thought that it was a given, especially when it can be added later if it's that important to a lot of gamers like it seems to be.

No online service ever does EVERYTHING its competition does right out of the gate (see: Google+, PSN, etc.) If this is a sticking point for some, it is what it is. Be disappointed, cope, ask it to be changed. But let's not act like our expectations line up with reality 100% of the time and a mistaken omission is some intentional affront.

Mael

Hello everyone,
Nintendo is no longer following Blue Ocean Strategy or even the disruption model,
they said as much when they were asked while making the 3DS I think.
I mean 3DS is clearly NOT a disruptive product (we clearly saw that lol) and is a sustaining innovation regarding the DS.
Also the Wii U is Nintendo returning to the Red Ocean, heck the hardcore are the primary target of the competitors.
So stop the BOS talk nonsense please because really it makes my eyes bleed.

madmackem

Sony added it to a portable that doesn't sell, rather than their home console that was desperately in need to feature-match its biggest rival.

I'm saying that something expected isn't always what we get. We'll see a lot of that next year, too, but in different ways, I can assure you of that.

I would have liked it there, too. It's not there at launch? Sucks, but I'll either shit or get off the pot about it. I can give my feedback to Nintendo now and expect an OS update to add it in later, not gonna piss and moan about something not being there just because I thought that it was a given, especially when it can be added later if it's that important to a lot of gamers like it seems to be.

No online service ever does EVERYTHING its competition does right out of the gate (see: Google+, PSN, etc.) If this is a sticking point for some, it is what it is. Be disappointed, cope, ask it to be changed. But let's not act like our expectations line up with reality 100% of the time and a mistaken omission is some intentional affront.

It wasnt added to psn because it couldnt, im willing to bet its in the os for ps4 from day one.

majik13

Sony added it to a portable that doesn't sell, rather than their home console that was desperately in need to feature-match its biggest rival....

as I recall, Sony wanted to add it, but they said they didnt reserve enough system memory to allow it, and they were unable to change/add it.

if you take that, and how much people bitched and moaned, to Sony about it. And then you hear WiiU will have a whole 1GB reserved for the OS, and then they dont support that single most requested feature. It kinda sux.

Hopefully they do add it, but doesnt seem likely to me. It is a great feature and I know tons of people that use it, and they wont give it up.

So let me get this straight. The fact the video chat is even possible on the Wii U is because an outside party said, "come on guys, let us try and make video chat happen".?

Seriously?

I fucking hate Nintendo. One of the most lazy, anti-consumer companies outside of Apple in recent time.

What a fucking joke. I would be embarrassed if I were part of Nintendo.

P.S. If I'm mistaken or understanding wrong than I'm happy to stand corrected.

Goodlife

So let me get this straight. The fact the video chat is even possible on the Wii U is because an outside party said, "come on guys, let us try and make video chat happen".?

Seriously?

I fucking hate Nintendo. One of the most lazy, anti-consumer companies outside of Apple in recent time.

Um, so someone tells them to do it (or at least suggests it) and then they do it?

The bastards.

Splint

Kinda creepy to hear that they apparently had all these cool Video chat features but they decided to not include any of them because they weren't simple enough.

Rezbit

With a lot of these features, and the fact you need a day 1 update, it seems like Nintendo has just tried to get out as much as it can. If this system has 2GB of ram, 1 of which is dedicated to the OS, I don't see why they couldn't make in-game chat an option in the future. I think, much like the 360 and PS3 did, the OS has a lot of room to improve and gain features. Let's hope so anyway.

J.W.Crazy

Seriously?

You're mistaken. The first page of this Iwata Asks is literally titled in reference to the fact that Nintendo has been interested in doing this for at least 15 years. On that same page it says they looked into working with an outside company.

Top Bottom