• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "We are preparing several titles to be launched toward the end of this year"

Neomoto

Valtor said:
Are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks not as we know them? Because they came out after twilight princess, and IIRC there is still everything that makes a Zelda game in those....
I think me meant things like how the game is controlled, more innovation. Personally, I'll take whatever Zelda they make since they are all awesome.

goomba said:
People seem to be forgetting that Nintendo said Twilight Princess would be the last Zelda game as we know them.

Nintendo released Zelda: Crossbow training in 2008

I'm expecting Zelda: Sword Training :p
How soon people forgot the Legend of OO.

wRATH2x

Banned
People here love setting themselves up for disappointment, so what if Reggie/Iwata/whoever said this and that. Didn't Reggie claim they had a big surprise at E3 2008? We got nothing. Unless he meant Animal Crossing, which in turn makes that announcement pretty crappy.

There won't be much of or even any "core" surprises. If Nintendo were seriously shifting focus to the "core gamer" than why didn't they announce Metroid Prime Trilogy at E3? I'm not saying that's all we're getting or that the game wasn't needed etc. All I'm saying is they know we'll check the internet for any new gaming announcements so they just revealed it here on the internet. If they really wanted a more "core" focused show they would of kept it as a pleasant surprise and part of any other megaton they have.

Yet I still don't understand why they want to focus on "non-gamers" during gaming events. I mean tell me any non-gamer who knows about E3? I'm not sure it will be the same story this upcoming E3 but I think that's whit will happen.

GCX

Wrath2X said:
Yet I still don't understand why they want to focus on "non-gamers" during gaming events. I mean tell me any non-gamer who knows about E3? I'm not sure it will be the same story this upcoming E3 but I think that's whit will happen.
It's not because non-gamers would know about E3 but because big media outlets will be there and they'll make everyone know about Nintendo's next big thing.

Sadist

Wrath2X said:
People here love setting themselves up for disappointment, so what if Reggie/Iwata/whoever said this and that. Didn't Reggie claim they had a big surprise at E3 2008? We got nothing. Unless he meant Animal Crossing, which in turn makes that announcement pretty crappy.
Everybody lies. (Insert House pic)

Wrath2X said:
There won't be much of or even any "core" surprises. If Nintendo were seriously shifting focus to the "core gamer" than why didn't they announce Metroid Prime Trilogy at E3? I'm not saying that's all we're getting or that the game wasn't needed etc. All I'm saying is they know we'll check the internet for any new gaming announcements so they just revealed it here on the internet. If they really wanted a more "core" focused show they would of kept it as a pleasant surprise and part of any other megaton they have.

The problem is, everybody is so bummed out by the conferences of the last two years, everybody thinks this year won't be any different. But a lot people forget we're talking about Nintendo and they are the most unpredictable of the big three. Nintendo did acknowledge (through Iwata and Reggie) that E3 '08 was mediocre at best. I still think the show set-up will be different when compared to last year. How different? Don't know.

And of course, why should you announce a compilation disc during a press conference? The New Play Control! titles (2/3 of the Metroid Prime Trilogy is actually the NPC! line) were announced somewhere in what... november last year? So, the conncection E3, Metroid Trilogy compilation disc and giving the hardcore something doesn't hold up.

wRATH2x

Banned
GCX said:
It's not because non-gamers would know about E3 but because big media outlets will be there and they'll make everyone know about Nintendo's next big thing.
Yeah but Nintendo's status is a lot higher now, they can announce the non-gamer things through any news outlet and people will get wind of it.

Maybe its because I want E3 to be like it used to, but shouldn't we be the focus in a gaming event meant for gamers?
The problem is, everybody is so bummed out by the conferences of the last two years, everybody thinks this year won't be any different. But a lot people forget we're talking about Nintendo and they are the most unpredictable of the big three. Nintendo did acknowledge (through Iwata and Reggie) that E3 '08 was mediocre at best. I still think the show set-up will be different when compared to last year. How different? Don't know.

And of course, why should you announce a compilation disc during a press conference? The New Play Control! titles (2/3 of the Metroid Prime Trilogy is actually the NPC! line) were announced somewhere in what... november last year? So, the conncection E3, Metroid Trilogy compilation disc and giving the hardcore something doesn't hold up.
E3 07 sucked, E3 08 sucked harder. And them stating how they know E3 08 was bad doesn't mean much this is Nintendo we're talking about.

I do agree their unpredictable, I don't know if will be getting another disappointment or something worth waiting.

Model 500

BrandNew said:
What? It fucking sucked. It's honestly the one true Nintendo games where I've ever actually felt it was a turd product.

Really? Please tell my why you think it sucks and we can discuss the issues. But let's do it in PM, no reason to derail this thread any further. I hope you will do this, since I'm genuinely interested in your pow. It's one of my favourite games ever.

Are we still talking about Zelda in this thread? Guys, I've been there since the first one. Ocarina of Time is probably what I consider to be the best game ever created. Still, I want something different, even if its a new IP or a radically approached Zelda from them. I would rather they created new IPs though.

We'll see what we see. Personally, while I'd love to see a new home console Zelda, I think that Nintendo is unlikely to aim to have two released in one year. I'd more expect them to release a teaser at the conference, expand it this fall, and release next year. Whether they aim for an off-season or holiday release, I won't speculate on.

There may very well be a 5 year gap, but I don't want there to be.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
They HAVE to talk about the following:
-Wii sales
-DSi sales
-WM+
-WM+ 3RD party support
-Wii Sports Resort
-Wii Fit +
-Zelda: Spirit Tracks
-PokeMon Soul Silver & Heart Gold
-some other big holiday title(s)

It really depends on how much time they're going to give the above, but there's plenty of other stuff (that we know about) they can show off or highlight from 3RD parties as well...even if just in montage form (though I think some will have their own presentations to be honest):
-RE:DSC
-TvC
-MH Tri
-DQ IX & X
-FF:CB
-FF4:TAY
-Dead Space Extraction
-The Conduit
-Red Steal 2
-TMNT
-Silnt Hill
-A Boy & His Blob
-Cursed Mountain
-JU-ON
-Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics
-NMH2

Granted, that's all stuff we already know, we want something new...and we know it's out there from Nintendo and 3RD parties and I think some new stuff will have a big chance of being announced/shown at the pre-show conference:
-Nintendo video service Channel for the west
-DSi Virtual GameBoy/Handheld service
-new Virtual Console Arcade classics
-some kind of WFC "fix" like they offered the SD card fix
-other new Channel's or services
-Bethesda's Wii title
-Retro's next project (Kid Icarus?)
-Factor 5's Wii title
-something else from CAPCOM
-maybe Disaster coming to the USA
-High Voltage's next project(s)
-Pikmin 3
-Modern Warfare 2 on Wii
-something else top secret we don't know about

Potentially, Nintendo has the cards to play, it's just a matter of how/if/when they will. We know that WM+ will be one of their big pushes, but what better way to push it then by revealing a new Zelda title that supports it? I mean, we don't know, but even if half of the above points are revealed, I think it'll be a good show with or without Zelda. And have you considered some crazy scenerio like:
-Wii price drop
-new Wii colors
-WM+ Wii bundle
-Wii's future
-Wii GTA
-Wii Kingdom Hearts
-F-ZERO
-Kid Icarus
-Star Fox
-Pilotwings
-next Mario
-RE5 and/or SF IV on Wii

There's already been big stuff reveled or hinted at for Nintendo leading up to E3, so it's not unlikely that there will be big (or even bigger) stuff at E3.

Dascu

You people are really setting yourselves up for disappointment. We pretty much had similar lists about what Nintendo "should be showing" last year as well, and look how that turned out.

Azure J

AceBandage said:
Now for something completely different:

Let's discuss Project Sora.
I want to know what SAKURAI has cooking.

This man has class. I'm curious as well, especially considering how unusual for Nintendo [according to Iwata] their first project is.

koam said:
There's already a Zelda game coming out this year, don't expect another one.

Nothing is dictating Nintendo from keeping a Wii Zelda hush hush because of this fact. They can still talk about it and show it without releasing it this year.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Dascu said:
You people are really setting yourselves up for disappointment. We pretty much had similar lists about what Nintendo "should be showing" last year as well, and look how that turned out.

Granted, I don't mean to get people's hopes up with list wars, but as I said in that post, even if only a part of that is shown durring the show, then it'll be a good show IMO.

AceBandage said:

What about that EA/Mikami/Suda 51 dealio too?

koam said:
There's already a Zelda game coming out this year, don't expect another one.

Who said an announcement/teaser/trailer for a new Zelda means it's coming out this year? They could easily show a 5sec clip of Link swinging a sword using WM+, have some dramattic music, some silly cosplay and then just put "2010" on the screen and I think that'd satiate the nerdcore for about a week alone (of course they're never truly satisfied) all while helping to legitimize WM+ and not hurting the DS Zelda. But again, I still have doubts Zelda Wii will be there, even in teaser form.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DrGAKMAN said:
What about that EA/Mikami/Suda 51 dealio too?

While it's bound to be awesome, it's also multiplatform, so for any mutli-system owners (like myself) the Wii version is probably of no interest.

adg1034

AceBandage said:

Seeing as how that was almost literally just announced, we're going to have to wait until next year at least before we hear anything.

bdouble

DrGAKMAN said:
awesome post

Nice intelligent look at what could happen at E3 and probably will be about right on. Really any big title predictions or guesses are as good as any other. We have no idea what it will be Zelda or something else.

wRATH2x

Banned
BrandNew said:
BTW, that quote about TP being the "last Zelda as we know" was a bullshit quote. As in, it was from a fake interview with Miyamoto.
Oh thank god! I wouldn't mind change but goddamnit the 3D Zelda's mechanics is my favorite of any game.

Yazus

Allan Holdsworth said:
Yoshi Island DS is not a remake. I wonder why so many people think this...

Just point out when I said the DS one is a remake of the first.

I just wanted to point out that I wanted a NEW Yoshi story for wii, when some people asked for a remake of the one, so I just wanted to clarify ;)

And yes, Kirby Wii developed by HAL

Yazus said:
Just point out when I said the DS one is a remake of the first.

I just wanted to point out that I wanted a NEW Yoshi Island for wii, when some people asked for a remake of the one, so I just wanted to clarify ;)

And yes, Kirby Wii developed by HAL
Fixed! While I thought Yoshi story was a decent game, it was too short. If they do remake Yoshi's Story, I want it to be longer with more challenging levels, either that or a Yoshi Island Remake :D

Linkup

DrGAKMAN said:
We know that WM+ will be one of their big pushes, but what better way to push it then by revealing a new Zelda title that supports it?

with a M+ game built from the ground up for the device alone? like wii sports resort maybe? nah that's crazy talk

I like this part, it's very interesting . . .
Iwata discussing an expected 40 million unit increase in Wii software…

“I can say that it would be a mistake to think that the increase of 40 million units will be wholly attributed to first party titles. However, we can say that we are expecting the whole market to grow because Nintendo is preparing for its software
Like I said, the only reason I expect something big this year is because of how the higher up have been talking about future Wii SW.

BrandNew said:
BTW, that quote about TP being the "last Zelda as we know" was a bullshit quote. As in, it was from a fake interview with Miyamoto.
Proof?

That quote is like 3 years old and fake Nintendo interviews don't live that long and become commonly-quoted-facts from what I know.

Hell, "Legend of OO" is enuff to back that quote up.

Linkup said:
with a M+ game built from the ground up for the device alone? like wii sports resort maybe? nah that's crazy talk
LoZ Wii can be "built from the ground up for the device alone".
And they aren't going to talk about WSR as their big WM+ game for 2 years in a row when its this close to release.

That Legend of OO thing was a dumb patent that never proves anything of substance.

And I can't find the link for the bullshit interview, but trust me, I remember it being a made up quote around the time TP came out.

I'm not saying it won't be different, but I have a hard time believing Nintendo completely abandons the 3d Zelda mechanics.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Black-Wind said:
Proof?

That quote is like 3 years old and fake Nintendo interviews don't live that long and become commonly-quoted-facts from what I know.

Yes they do, all the time in fact.

Hell, "Legend of OO" is enuff to back that quote up.
That patent could be for anything or not even be used ever. Nintendo just always uses Mario or Zelda examples for their patents

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, regarding the 'Nintendo doesn't show big games more than 3 months in advance' thing, I think I'll wait til we actually see them announce a big game first.

Spiegel

Oblivion said:
Also, regarding the 'Nintendo doesn't show big games more than 3 months in advance' thing, I think I'll wait til we actually see them announce a big game first.

Nintendo announces even small games many months before release.

Examples:

Sin & Punishment -> 7 months and counting
Punch-Out -> 7 months

Almost everything announced at the October conference has not been released

Bizzyb

Banned
Dascu said:

Yeaaah but that was LAST year, this is THIS year. Totally different.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Spiegel said:
Nintendo announces even small games many months before release.

Examples:

Sin & Punishment -> 7 months and counting
Punch-Out -> 7 months

Almost everything announced at the October conference has not been released

Yep.

Also, when was that statement from Iwata made anyway?

Would you guys say Wii Sports Resort is a big title? That was shown at last E3, almost a friggin year ago.

BrandNew said:
That Legend of OO thing was a dumb patent that never proves anything of substance.
Sorry if I didn't relay it correctly. I meant that IF it's used that, yeah, it wouldn't be anything like the past LoZ.

And I can't find the link for the bullshit interview, but trust me, I remember it being a made up quote around the time TP came out.
I can't find it either . . . but of all my years talking about LoZ TP you are the first person to say it's "fake".

I'm not saying it won't be different, but I have a hard time believing Nintendo completely abandons the 3d Zelda mechanics.
I really have no clue as to WTH the quote says or is supposed to say about what direction the series could go. But Miyamoto seems to think it's time for change in much more recent quotes that are real.

grandjedi6 said:
Yes they do, all the time in fact.
IDK, maybe the fakes I come across are easy to prove fake (like the LoZ set in the great flood one where Link is actually some random black haired guy with a mentil problem that makes him think he is the hero. That was like a year ago and was suposed to be at E3 lol).

And why didn't you bold "Nintendo"? Those were the ones I was refering to . . .

Black-Wind said:
Why did you rip that from Malstrom's blog post?

Not being funny or anything . . . thats actually word-for-word copy-and-paste what he said in one of his post. Ya could have put your own spin to it ya know . . . or gave him credit. >_>

I don't know about word for word, but, yes, he did make the same points in a blog post.

Valtor said:
Are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks not as we know them? Because they came out after twilight princess, and IIRC there is still everything that makes a Zelda game in those....

I don't think enough time has past for proper analysis on the impact and importance of Phantom Hourglass. It's vastly different.

Oblivion said:
I don't think it was ever limited to "big games".
Theres a good amount of games that they have done this with. Wario shake it and Excite Bots for example. THEN there are games that get "revealed" but nothing is known about them (sometimes not even a "release date") till months before they are released like MK:Wii/ WRS/ That new magic game (Takl of magic or something) and anything else from the Oct-ton events it seems.

Now we even have LoZ:ST which is supposed to hit this year and Nintendo hasn't said a word about it other than whats shown in the vid.

Even if they reveal something for early next year with a stage demo or some vid we most likely wont know a thing about it till its about to be released.

And thanks for the link. Seems like BS, Zelda U sucks at research lol.

yoopoo

Banned
Lets remember Nintendo's Wii software they bought at the last two E3:

2007:
Battalion Wars 2
Brain-Age 2
Wii Fit (announced at conference)
SMG
SSBB
Metroid Prime 3
Mario Kart
Mario Strikers Charged

2008:
Animal Crossing (announced at conference)
Mario Super Sluggers
Wario Land
Wii Music
Wii Sports Resort (announced at conference)

Top Bottom