• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "We are preparing several titles to be launched toward the end of this year"

[Nintex]

Drkirby said:
Maybe there's, but it can't be the perfect E3 without Kirby Wii. Also, nothing from IS?
IS is working on 6 projects with Square-Enix. Nintendo and Square-Enix Eidos merger is well underway.

DNF

[Nintex] said:
IS is working on 6 projects with Square-Enix. Nintendo and Square-Enix Eidos merger is well underway.

are all 6 projects dsi-ware ? any guesses how much of their workforce / how many of their teams are working on these 6 projects ?

Drkirby said:
Maybe there's, but it can't be the perfect E3 without Kirby Wii. Also, nothing from IS?
A new Fire Emblem game is supposed to be revealed soon, I believe.

The rumors were that it was a new Wii one, but I guess we'll see.

camineet

Banned
At E3 2008, Nintendo's legendary master designer and recognized international superhero Shigeru Miyamoto said that the Mario and Zelda teams had reunited and were actively working on their next projects. Vague, but enough for us to throw parties. He also admitted straight up that Pikmin 3 was in development. More parties on our side. Miyamoto later commented that he liked the foundation that the company's Tokyo studio laid down for Super Mario Galaxy, but wished the concepts were taken farther. With so much critical praise and equally strong sales, we think a sequel to Galaxy would be ideal, and timely. Meanwhile, we know from separate interviews with long-time Zelda director Eiji Aonuma that he is once more involved in the next major Wii title and it's bound to use MotionPlus in some capacity. We would not be shocked if Galaxy 2, Pikmin 3 and even a teaser for the next major Zelda debuted at the big conference this June
http://ds.ign.com/articles/982/982740p2.html

MotionPlus + Zelda will be music to my ears.

Make it so, Nintendo.

Eteric Rice

adg1034 said:
Considering that was paired with talk of a Nintendo-Squeeidos merger, I think you're reading a bit too far into that, Chris.

Square merging with Nintendo would be so amazing, just for the mass suicides that would ensue.

Ikael

I don't get this. They also apologized for it and realized their mistake. Not to mention it seems everyone is excited about E3 going back to more of its former self. It is a little weird to me because there are other convention and events to show off like this but E3 seems to have a mystique in both the big threes minds and the media.

Hell didn't even the more main stream media outlets bash Nintendo's conference as well?

Nintendo applied a flawed logic that since E3 is the biggest gaming event, then it should also be the most viewed by casuals. This E3 suppousedly being a return to a "bigger e3" will just reinforce their position. Thing is, casuals do not watch any kind of conferences. They may buy new iPods, but they are surely not streaming the latest Steve Jobs speech.

adg1034

Ikael said:
Nintendo applied a flawed logic that since E3 is the biggest gaming event, then it should also be the most viewed by casuals. This E3 suppousedly being a return to a "bigger e3" will just reinforce their position. Thing is, casuals do not watch any kind of conferences. They may buy new iPods, but they are surely not streaming the latest Steve Jobs speech.

People hear about new iPods from three places: commercials, friends who did stream the latest Stevenote, and technology reporters in their local paper, who inevitably watched the Stevenote to get their information. The bottom line? It's fine to make your products have a mass-market appeal, but don't extend that to your presentations.

camineet

Banned
Nintendo E3 2003 - so disappointingly sucky
Nintendo E3 2004 - fucking amazing, awesome!!!!
Nintendo E3 2008 - so disappointingly sucky

Nintendo E3 2009 - fucking amazing, awesome????

I hope the pattern becomes complete.

Ikael said:

That was not their "logic" at all. E3 2008, if a history of video-games is ever recorded, will go down as a turning point.

Rumors were rampant that Microsoft was set to reveal a motion-control peripheral of their own, and Nintendo, believing that to be the case, pre-empted them by announcing WiiMotion+. Nintendo's press conference was a counter-attack, an aggressive stand on their expanded audience, but an attack from Microsoft never came. It was a battle that never happened. The result, however, was a "casualized" conference that left everyone scratching their heads. Nintendo, relieved, delayed WiiSports Resots, which was rumored to have been rushed together.

Now, there are new rumors of a Microsoft motion camera. Problem is, it's too late. We'll see how Nintendo reacts.

dyls

Ikael said:

The presentation isn't for casuals, it's for mainstream media who then report the information in places casuals are more likely to see it. Making one or two big and easily covered announcements works better in this regard than announcing a whole big slate of games, which doesn't work so well for the bite size news that most people prefer to ingest.

Nintendo may have apologized for last year's E3, but I don't think it was because the fanboys were unhappy. The negative coverage extended to more mainstream outlets like the New York Times, Time, Yahoo!, etc. That was the damning bit. They could give a shit if the hardcore come out ecstatic or not, but the media that reaches the casual consumer has to walk away impressed.

pakkit

Banned
camineet said:
Nintendo E3 2003 - so disappointingly sucky
Nintendo E3 2004 - fucking amazing, awesome!!!!
Nintendo E3 2008 - so disappointingly sucky

Nintendo E3 2009 - fucking amazing, awesome????

I hope the pattern becomes complete.
That's...not how patterns work.

camineet

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:
Rumors were rampant that Microsoft was set to reveal a motion-control peripheral of their own, and Nintendo, believing that to be the case, pre-empted them by announcing WiiMotion+. Nintendo's press conference was a counter-attack, an aggressive stand on their expanded audience, but an attack from Microsoft never came. It was a battle that never happened. The result, however, was a "casualized" conference that left everyone scratching their heads. Nintendo, relieved, delayed WiiSports Resots, which was rumored to have been rushed together.

Interesting.

I never thought about E308 like this before.

Vinci

Danish
camineet said:
Interesting.

I never thought about E308 like this before.

Really? I thought this was common knowledge at this point, or did everyone really believe Nintendo did that for no reason?

Vinci said:
Really? I thought this was common knowledge at this point, or did everyone really believe Nintendo did that for no reason?

Hell, Iwata had a line about the need to push the envelope being even more important when competitors copy the original innovation. That's about as clear a sign as you need.

Azure J

djtiesto said:
Here's hoping one of them is a new StarTropics...

You and me both man. StarTropics has been left high and dry for 15 years. What's worse is I can't think of one game that would make more sense with the Wii's interface. Fuck you other Nintendo franchises for a moment, give Mike a day in the limelight again! :lol

[Nintex] said:

Uh...who the hell would want Square Enix at this point?

Besides, Nintendo just bought Monolith a few years back.

BrandNew said:
companies who like money?

SE's franchises are dwindling year by year. the amount it would take to purchase them isn't anywhere near the benefit it would reap, particularly with their frequency of release. It would be like MS buying Rare. (In principle, anyway.)

farnham

Banned
Fire Emblem with Final Fantasy esque production values would blow me away

make it happen~!!!

DeaconKnowledge said:
SE's franchises are dwindling year by year. the amount it would take to purchase them isn't anywhere near the benefit it would reap, particularly with their frequency of release. It would be like MS buying Rare. (In principle, anyway.)
but they have two symbolic franchises

DQ and FF

IF Nintendo buys SE we can assume that they will win next gen by random at least in Japan

DeaconKnowledge said:

I was under the impression that dragon quest still single handily stimulates the japanese economy.

but yeah, this talk of buying out is dumb dumb dumb

Jiggy

farnham said:
Fire Emblem with Final Fantasy esque production values would blow me away
That... would probably be a waste of money atypical of any game company, never mind Nintendo, since Fire Emblem on a good day is lucky if it can hit 10% the sales of a post-SNES Final Fantasy on a bad one. Besides, Intelligent Systems is aware that a lot of people turn off animations in FE anyway, considering how detailed the options for doing so are (skip enemy turn completely, skip enemy attacks but show movement, individual battle animation settings per unit, speed settings for movement...).

GCX

Eteric Rice said:
Where did this talk of SE and Nintendo merging come from anyway?
Intelligent Systems and Square-Enix are doing Dragon Quest Wars for DSiWare. The Japanese news article supposedly said IS and SE have 6 projects in development together (which was a mistranslation) and Nintex made a joke about Nintendo and SE merge because of that.

Eteric Rice

dyls said:
The presentation isn't for casuals, it's for mainstream media who then report the information in places casuals are more likely to see it. Making one or two big and easily covered announcements works better in this regard than announcing a whole big slate of games, which doesn't work so well for the bite size news that most people prefer to ingest.

Nintendo may have apologized for last year's E3, but I don't think it was because the fanboys were unhappy. The negative coverage extended to more mainstream outlets like the New York Times, Time, Yahoo!, etc. That was the damning bit. They could give a shit if the hardcore come out ecstatic or not, but the media that reaches the casual consumer has to walk away impressed.

The thing is, I don't think more Wii ____ will dazzle mainstream press much this time around. They're probably looking for something a bit more interesting this time around.

Vinci

Danish
Jiggy said:
That... would probably be a waste of money atypical of any game company, never mind Nintendo, since Fire Emblem on a good day is lucky if it can hit 10% the sales of a post-SNES Final Fantasy on a bad one. Besides, Intelligent Systems is aware that a lot of people turn off animations in FE anyway, considering how detailed the options for doing so are (skip enemy turn completely, skip enemy attacks but show movement, individual battle animation settings per unit, speed settings for movement...).

FF has its appeal due in large part to its huge production values. It's hard to really compare the two. If FF had FE's production values, would anyone still give a shit about it? Likely not.

Sadist

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/assassins-creed-2-to-arrive-in-november

Gamestop executive David W. Carlson has revealed what we've got to look forward to in the run-up to Christmas.

Speaking in an earnings call, the bossman said we can expect Tekken 6 and BioShock 2 to arrive in October.

"Then going into November with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Assassin’s Creed 2, and we believe there’s a couple of Nintendo titles coming that have not been announced," he added.

"So, it looks like actually a very, very strong fall and holiday season."

GameStop is of course a US chain, but release dates for titles like these tend to be broadly global nowadays. Here's hoping he's not just speculating.

Hype hype hype

batbeg

Milhouse31 said:
yeah i was like how is it a pattern when you skip half of them ?

The "pattern" was that awesome years must follow sucky years. The in-between years were all fairly neutral, whereas last year was exceptionally sucky.

camineet

Banned
wouldn't Nintendo fanboys shit themselves if this happened:

Zelda - Wii
*1st game in a new trilogy
*made for Motion Plus
-New Sword&Shield&Magic gameplay engine
-new cinematic camera engine
-new movement engine
-new item menu system
-new graphics engine a blend of different types of cel-shading very different from WW, and the artwork is based on the 80s manuals that everyone loves.
A quest larger and ultimately much harder than Twilight Princess
*first chapter arrives in 2010
2nd and 3rd games/chapters will arrive in 2011 and 2012.
All 3 games can later be run on Wii HD in native 1080p,60fps,8xAA

I'm sorry, I'm letting my imagination run fucking wild, none of this will ever happen :(

I am one of the few that doesn't actually want Zelda Wii to be solely M+...not that it will get announced anyway(we just have a new one announced not too long ago >_<)

Top Bottom