• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe: I Would Not Have Included Blu-ray in PS3

Ploid 3.0

pr0cs said:
I would imagine the PS3 would have been much further ahead than the 360 at this point given the branding. Both units would have likely been out at the same time

Again I wonder what make people think PS3 would have been ready, or sony would have been ready to launch ps3 around 360's launch if not for plans to get the blu ray in the console. It seems as if devs wasn't even ready for it's launch as is (motor storm launching late, and, seemingly under play tested games *genji camera). MS moved from a perfectly good console to launch 360 early (although it was probably costing them money on each sold xbox still). PS3 would have probably had no games at launch. They would have been reacting to microsoft's launch announcement rather than their own plans (dev kits being ready, and such).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If PS3 would have launched at the same time and price as the Xbox 360, Microsoft would be dead in this business and would likely be planning their withdrawal by now.

and IF they had games ready.

we are already at two "if's" - i'm not sure where this hypothetical discussion of sonys outstanding victory over microsoft in alternate universe land is getting us (especially when the same victory was predicted despite launching later and with a higher price point)

Shinobi

BlueTsunami said:
I'm finding that actually agree with the statment at this point in time. A year or so down the line? Maybe not. The BD advantage remains to be seen. Jaffe knows more than most of us though.

No, apparantely he doesn't know shit and he should stick to making games...leave such opinions to the people who type out thread titles in captials and go "LOL!!" eight hours a day!

Of course if he'd said the opposite then the same people would be saying that he knows what he's talking about, because he makes games.

Kabuki Waq said:
I love the way how last week Jaffe was great because he speaks his mind but now he sucks because he speaks his mind.

Speaking your mind is great, as long as you say something I agree with. If I don't agree with it, then it's like, bad and stuff.

This forum is fast becoming a parody. Can't wait for E3 Lite.

pr0cs

Ploid 3.0 said:
Again I wonder what make people think PS3 would have been ready, or sony would have been ready to launch ps3 around 360's launch if not for plans to get the blu ray in the console. It seems as if devs wasn't even ready for it's launch as is (motor storm launching late, and, seemingly under play tested games *genji camera). MS moved from a perfectly good console to launch 360 early (although it was probably costing them money on each sold xbox still). PS3 would have probably had no games at launch. They would have been reacting to microsoft's launch announcement rather than their own plans (dev kits being ready, and such).

I can't help but think the reason why the PS3 devkits and other things that slowed down development were also attributed to the difficulty for them to produce BD (and other) PS3 components quick enough and early enough to release at the same time as the 360.

It's certainly possible that other factors in the PS3 slowed down their release (CELL for example) but even if the console was released within months of the 360 they wouldn't be in the same they are now.

BD is a huge anchor around their neck, Sony has to survive a few years and hope that the huge gamble pays off for them.

Brosa

TigersFan said:
Just because it bugs me, Blue Ray drives use lasers, not LED's. They're based on some of the same principles and materials, but they're different devices and the light they emit isn't the same.

Yes, both DVD and Blu-ray drives uses laser, but that was not even questioned. LED can mean Laser Emitting Diode aswell as Light Emitting Diode.

Ploid 3.0

I don't think sony wanted to launch ps3 as soon as possible. And when time comes for ps4 they probably won't want to launch it as soon as possible. PS2 was in it's stride when 360 launched. It still have a lot of life. Xbox and GC could have too if not for 360 being early and nintendo launching wii. Launching consoles as soon as possible and disbanding the old one isn't a thing I think this industry should encourage. Sure you have your opinion in saying ps3 should have been ready to launch with or before 360, but its a good thing they didn't. PS2 might have not had god of war2, or GH2 for example. People that have ps2 but can't buy a 360 or ps3 would have had less to play, probably. PS2 would die out sooner than expected.

Animal

Banned
I honnestly think the answer to whether or not the PS3 really needs the Blue Ray format lies in its data read speed from disc format to memory. I've brought this up back when it launched and somebody on this forum assured me that the data transfer rate was almost identical to most of the current market dvd drives.

Can anyone in the know clarify that?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
blu-ray is such a catch-22 sort of thing because while, from a graphics whore and technical geek point of view, you always want the best tech in the machine and you want games that push the limits of that great tech, but on the flipside, if that tech isn't affordable and if the hardware doesn't reach that mass market, it won't get all the software it would have potentially gotten otherwise.

Ploid 3.0

Nobody knows, but I'm willing to bet if PS3 launched a year early the team that worked on GOW2 would have been making it for ps3 instead.

DCharlie said:
what would have happened if PS3 had a game like GoW2 enhanced near launch?

It would've sold, but who gives a shit, is that what you want? You care so much about sales figures you'd prefer an updated old gen game?

el Diablo

Banned
DCharlie said:

Think it would have gotten the same response GTHD got. Great at first but after awhile people would have picked it apart and been asking themselves if this is "next gen".

pr0cs

DCharlie said:
good point, not to mention the PS3 is capable of running PS2 games like GoW2 so sales would have been fine.

Sony wouldn't have had the seriously uphill battle they're in now trying to catch up if they released in the same timeframe as the 360.

DCharlie

It would've sold, but who gives a shit, is that what you want? You care so much about sales figures you'd prefer an updated old gen game?

huh?
... just so we are clear - are you.... are you suggesting i'm desperately trying to bolster PS3 sales figures here?

i just need to know....

Sony wouldn't have had the seriously uphill battle they're in now trying to catch up if they released in the same timeframe as the 360.

doesn't this ignore a whole host of factors - never mind the fact it's a hypothetical situation that means f-all.

hadareud

The Translator
Animal said:
I honnestly think the answer to whether or not the PS3 really needs the Blue Ray format lies in its data read speed from disc format to memory. I've brought this up back when it launched and somebody on this forum assured me that the data transfer rate was almost identical to most of the current market dvd drives.

Can anyone in the know clarify that?
nothing has changed

Forsete

Gold Member
Blah. Down with the blu-ray hate.

I love the format. Huge capacity ensures games wont be gimped. Also the scratch resistant layer they put on the discs is great, no more worrying about scratching the discs.

Not to mention I finally get to have a HD videoplayer, awesome so-so awesome.

DCharlie said:
huh?
... just so we are clear - are you.... are you suggesting i'm desperately trying to bolster PS3 sales figures here?

i just need to know....

You criticize, on a daily basis, the costs of the PS3 and its sales figures. I assumed you were trying to imply, I know it was a question but there were implications, that if Sony were to release an "hi Def" version of GOW it would have been positive for PS3. I don't want to see upgraded PS2 games on the PS3.

It may just have been a question, but with your cynicism towards PS3 I thought that's what you implied,

Jonsoncao

Banned
:lol :lol

its so lucky Jaffe is not in charge of decision making :lol

or SCE would have a much better life now for the low price, and ppl dont wanna see this happens

our ppl love wii60 :lol

itsme

Banned
Forsete said:
Blah. Down with the blu-ray hate.

I love the format. Huge capacity ensures games wont be gimped. Also the scratch resistant layer they put on the discs is great, no more worrying about scratching the discs.

Not to mention I finally get to have a HD videoplayer, awesome so-so awesome.

I don't hate bluRay as a format; I just hate Sony forcing the format down us gamers' the throat and charge us arms and legs AND pretend its a good thing FOR US.

Of course, those who thinks "oh my god, I can't handle multiple DVD discs, I only have two hands" crowd would welcome the decision with their open wallet, most other sensible consumers says no...watch the sales numbers.

I bought my PS3, but it's dirtier move than MS nickel and diming us with their microtransaction, and I'm not too happy about their decision.

travisbickle said:
You criticize, on a daily basis, the costs of the PS3 and its sales figures. I assumed you were trying to imply, I know it was a question but there were implications, that if Sony were to release an "hi Def" version of GOW it would have been positive for PS3. I don't want to see upgraded PS2 games on the PS3.

It may just have been a question, but with your cynicism towards PS3 I thought that's what you implied,

Seems more like what was being suggested was that if PS3 had launched a year earlier, God of War 2 would have been a PS3 project from the get-go, and likely would have been as much an "upgraded PS2 game" as FFXIII is. God of War 2 would certainly have had more strategic importance as a PS3 game, and I'll admit - I'm eager to see next-gen Kratos as soon as possible.

Kittonwy

Banned
What the PS3 needed was more big games at or near launch and Santa Monica's decision to not release God of War 2 on the PS3 certainly did not help, graphics aside the PS3 needs compellling content and God of War 2 sure as heck is a compelling experience, only now is the team starting their PS3 projects when Insomniac Games is well on their way to release their second.

The Blu-Ray is in the PS3, the decision has been made and it's too late to change that. The PS3 needs more big games to really bolster the line-up and this is clearly something that Jaffe can help Sony with but he decided to make EDI games instead.

Ploid 3.0

Could just play the ps2 game instead of worrying about a ps3 upgrade of said game. Would save dev time, and the port group (would have to do a lot of work on the port) can spend time elsewhere.

DCharlie

You criticize, on a daily basis, the costs of the PS3 and its sales figures.

can you show me todays critisms?
and yesterdays?
day before that?
day before that day?

seriously - some of you arseholes need to shut the **** up. If you can't back up your bullshit claims about what i'm saying on a daily basis, then don't make them.

I assumed you were trying to imply, I know it was a question but there were implications, that if Sony were to release an "hi Def" version of GOW it would have been positive for PS3. I don't want to see upgraded PS2 games on the PS3.

i'm not talking about a hidef version of the game - i'm talking about a Ps3 specific version. Same grand ideal game, with better gameplay, better graphics etc...
GOW was one of my favourite last gen games, a follow up to this with the sort of insane "What the hell!" start as GOW2 (i only played the first 2 levels before loaning this out) would have been a showcase for the ps3. If you think that's sarcasm whatever, then whatever...

it wasn't.

The Chef

Busty said:
I believe that when Jaffe does interviews like these he probably steps out onto the set or the studio and then totally blacks out.....

... and then comes to about an hour later sitting in his parked car.

JAFFE - "Oh no.... what did I say now....?"

*Mobile Phone starts to ring*

The name flashing on the phone is Phil Harrison.

JAFFE - "Shit."

:lol :lol :lol :lol

That was some funny shit.

It is pretty bogus for him to say that. I don't understand how anyone can deny the overall success that Bluray is having thus far. Seems like a pretty ridiculous comment to make on his part.

bycha

**** dat. In 2 year BR-drive will cost $15 and i don't want to stay with old tech FOR 10 YEARS.

I want movies, uncompressed music etc. and i don't want no ****in multiple disks.

Soon all this whining will just stop.

Forsete

Gold Member
itsme said:
I don't hate bluRay as a format; I just hate Sony forcing the format down us gamers' the throat and charge us arms and legs AND pretend its a good thing FOR US.

Well they had to force it, if the format is going to be used as the media for games. They can't release it as a add-on and have two versions of every game out, DVD and BD. Each generation there is a increase in the storage capacity, why should this generation be any different? Many devs have already said, DVDs cant hold enough data.

I dont see the problem.. If you think the price is to high, then just hold off buying one. Simple as that IMO.

Added cost is the only negative factor as I see it, and guess what, its about to go away since the production of BD drives is increasing each day.

madara

Good for him. What I find interesting is never ending loyalty to sony camp. As he seems to state no matter where he go in future always be software on sony. Do the really treat employees better then rest or what is modivation for this?

bycha said:

The whining will continue for years unless Sony manages to reclaim the dominant 70% marketshare that they held last gen. And that isn't happening. And no, that doesn't mean they are doomed. They can hold a smaller, but (hopefully) profitable share this gen and will certainly profit from BD movie sales no matter what.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
why is GAF flipping out over his comment, he didn't say it sucked. He was asked if he could change something and it was to take out bluray to make it cheaper for consumers with small pockets can pick it up. GEEZ!

RavenFox

Banned
Busty said:
I believe that when Jaffe does interviews like these he probably steps out onto the set or the studio and then totally blacks out.....

... and then comes to about an hour later sitting in his parked car.

JAFFE - "Oh no.... what did I say now....?"

*Mobile Phone starts to ring*

The name flashing on the phone is Phil Harrison.

JAFFE - "Shit."

Agreed.

Considering the first trailer was edited to make it look like Jaffe was telling the interviewer to "..go **** himself up the ass..." (or something similar) that's probably quite wise.

:lol
Jaffe please man just get to GoW3 and after that you can say what you like.

Kittonwy

Banned
DCharlie said:

It would have been great even despite the graphics, because God of War 2 is compelling software and that's exactly what the PS3 needs more of besides Resistance and Motorstorm.
Indifferent2.gif

DCharlie

Think it would have gotten the same response GTHD got. Great at first but after awhile people would have picked it apart and been asking themselves if this is "next gen".

i doubt it - GoW2 is about as "next gen" as it comes simply because it feels so fressssssh.
First level is a final level grand finale to most other games, and that's what makes the game sparkle.

Ploid 3.0

itsme said:
Of course, those who thinks "oh my god, I can't handle multiple DVD discs, I only have two hands" crowd would welcome the decision with their open wallet, most other sensible consumers says no...watch the sales numbers.

Having only 9gig? of space per disk would have developers making their games with that in mind. They can cut corners, and all the stuff they want until they get within that limit. Wasn't there something on GTA:SA having to cut stuff or make sacrifices for the dvd? Or were they talking about keeping it single layer? I don't have bookmarks and well organized quotes as SSX, but I know I remember some talk about dvd limit before xbox 360 even launched. Sure they can solve it with a second disk. Some devs feel they need to keep it to 1 disk and go to 2+ as last resort.

With an illusion of unlimited space they can do whatever they want with their game. Kojima wants to give different sounds to falling bottle glass for the surface it lands on, and the room. Good for him.

Kittonwy

Banned
DCharlie said:
i doubt it - GoW2 is about as "next gen" as it comes simply because it feels so fressssssh.
First level is a final level grand finale to most other games, and that's what makes the game sparkle.

People think "OMG if it doesn't have graphics then people will bash it lmalmalam" but at the end of the day it's still God of ****ing War 2 and people will still want to play it, even if they have to buy a PS3 to do so, it's so weird that the folks at Santa Monica don't actually have enough confidence in their franchise to consider it a system-seller.
Indifferent2.gif

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
I think David Jaffe need to clarify that, before it goes out of hand..
What would you change on ps3 ?
Is bluray needed ?
Can be 2 different answer from their

bycha said:
**** dat. In 2 year BR-drive will cost $15 and i don't want to stay with old tech FOR 10 YEARS.

I want movies, uncompressed music etc. and i don't want no ****in multiple disks.

Chad?

OmniGamer

I agree...down with the Blu-Ray hate. You don't make consoles just for the here and now...you make them to last for at least 5 years. People act as if the price of blu-ray now is a fixed expense when in fact it WILL go down overtime, reducing cost while still maintaining the capacity advantage over DVD which can only benefit, not hinder, games that take advantage of the added capacity.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I am amazed that this thread hasn't drawn Jaffe in... he must be busy today...

Well...Jaffe's right. PS3 would be doing a hell of a lot better right now.

Blu-ray is great but at minimum $500 entry level (now $600 with core being gone) it's quite a pill to swallow, you seriously should have second guess for such a price range for an accepting market.

It's a balance game with tech and price, keep it acceptable, you can cram in all the high tech stuff in there you can get, but then in the end...it's still SIX HUNDRED MUTHAF'N DOLLARS!!!

antiloop

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Well...Jaffe's right. PS3 would be doing a hell of a lot better right now.

Blu-ray is great but at minimum $500 entry level (now $600 with core being gone) it's quite a pill to swallow, you seriously should have second guess for such a price range for an accepting market.

It's a balance game with tech and price, keep it acceptable, you can cram in all the high tech stuff in there you can get, but then in the end...it's still SIX HUNDRED MUTHAF'N DOLLARS!!!

I don't think Sony thought Blu-ray would be an advantage this year. But in 10 years time DVD will be old as hell itself. Even in 5 years time.

kevm3

Right now, Sony is getting a whipping because of Blu-Ray when they could've been dominating the generation. However, we'll see if Blu-Ray ultimately plays out in the gamers' favor later on in the generation when games start increasing in size.

I'm just sick of Sony's stupidity when it comes to GAMING. Show the games! Focus on the games! Where are the games Sony? "Well, welll, we're in discussions to whore out your PS3 to corporations, and we MIGHT give you a reward for it!" Where are the games Sony? "Do you like movies kids? Movies are great! You can watch them in high-def only on PS3!"

Top Bottom