• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January PS+ update includes Grim Fandango Remastered and Hardware: Rivals on PS4

All you folks who have never played Grim Fandango are in for a treat. It's only one of the greatest adventure games ever made. Just make sure you brace yourself for some super obtuse, old-school puzzles.

Nice, had Grim Fandango on my Steam wishlist for months now but never got around to buying it.
This being in PS+ for January makes it easy striking this game off my list :)

Not any more. Sony wanted us to keep giving them money but not give us any decent games to play, and multiplayer paywall is their solution!
The game selection is getting pretty depressing. It'd be nice if they started digging into the classics section for PS3/Vita games.

On PS3 probably, not so much on PS4 though.

I guess if you brought a PS4 and then got PS+ it's understandable to feel that way. Having PS+ since before the PS4 existed and much preferring single player, I could take or leave the multiplayer. Though I don't think they should even be charging for it.

Yeah, I was shocked I missed the beta. Opinion seems quite mixed, but considering the closest I have to car combat is Cell Damage HD, I'm looking forward to giving this a shot and breaking up some of my Rocket League time.

Definitely got Twisted Metal vibes from it and I haven't played a car combat game in years.

Even if it's a little distraction for January only, I'll be content.

Number45

All you folks who have never played Grim Fandango are in for a treat. It's only one of the greatest adventure games ever made. Just make sure you brace yourself for some super obtuse, old-school puzzles.
Yup, I can't get my head around puzzles in these types of games. Bought it anyway, and will eventually make my way through it with the help of a guide.

Catvoca

Banned
God damn it I am never buying another Double Fine game on PS4 ever again.

I buy Broken Age.. BOOM free on PS+
I buy Grim Fandango... BOOM free on PS+

At least Grim is easily worth the money.

Yeah, I've really enjoyed both Broken Age and Grimm but this would seriously make me consider not buying Day of the Tentacle when it'll probably be on plus less then a year later.

Yet another terrible month on PS4. Now that you have to pay to play online they don't have to try, and it shows.

It shows because they gave us probably the most critically acclaimed game within it's genre?

XLWggwD.png

WQcIxXV.png
Come on now.

WITHE1982

I really need to stop buying games while my PS+ subscription is active. Kinda ruining every month for me now. I even bought Knack so chances are the little sucker will turn up in Feb now.

Grim Fandango is awesome though. Let's just hope the Vita offerings are good.

Yet another terrible month on PS4. Now that you have to pay to play online they don't have to try, and it shows.

Hopefully PS3 and Vita are better.

May be its terrible for you because you did not get games you expected, but for many its will be a good month as we got one of great games (adventure) of all time and new game which is about to launch, so sony doing good job as they are providing free games for three platforms (also they charge $10 less than Xbox gold).

Kain

Yeah, I remember people complaining about Rocket League, too. I'm not saying that every PSN+ game is as good as RL, just that we shouldn't discard the low profile games they've been giving these past few months as some of them are legit good.

Great, Vita is the gem that keeps on giving.

I absolutely adore Grim Fandango <3 I'm loving all those adventure games on Plus!

Unfortunately, I didn't like Rivals when I played the Beta. It was a smaller scale, simpler Twisted Metal. Not really fun. Matchmaking sucked also, but that might've been due to beta. I'll try it again though, but I miss when they gave First Light, such a great game.

Anyone tried Hardware Rivals? Is it good?

Played the beta. The controls were weird and required four fingers on the triggers to play properly but I got use to it. It was some how more arcadey than Twisted Metal with lot of auto aim and locking missles. Hard to properly access because it was hard to find any game much less a full game. Levels seemed too big. It was fun with enough people in but it was shallow. The asthetics were really boring. PS+ was a good call as this would have bombed otherwise.

I'll give Hardware Rivals a try. I heard that Grim Fandango is basically "strategy guide: the game" and can't be beaten without one, so I am not interested

As someone who played it for the first time recently, that's not entirely fair, although it does have some really fucking obscure puzzles at times. I wasn't really a fan, personally.

Klart

Hardware Rivals is a pretty questionable choice considering Rocket League was quite recent.

Wut? They give us adventure after adventure game, but you say nothing about that?

HR is quite different as well as it's about scoring "kills" & not about scoring goals.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
God damn it I am never buying another Double Fine game on PS4 ever again.

I buy Broken Age.. BOOM free on PS+
I buy Grim Fandango... BOOM free on PS+

At least Grim is easily worth the money.

You should totally buy Knack!

I'll give Hardware Rivals a try. I heard that Grim Fandango is basically "strategy guide: the game" and can't be beaten without one, so I am not interested

Yeah. It's hard for even 90s adventures. I think younger people who like what adventure games have become have wised up that these 90s games may not be for them. I wish they started with the much easier and better IMO Full Throttle.

nel e nel

DAMN, I bought Grim Fandango in October for like 4 bucks and haven't played it. My own fault, I kept saying "this is gonna be PS+", then felt like playing it so I bought it, then got sidetracked with other stuff entirely(mostly Transformers)

Oh well. Hearing people talk about it will likely convince me to play it

Same here, although I've been playin it on Vita on my commute the past month. Have a walk through handy!

It shows because they gave us probably the most critically acclaimed game within it's genre?

Come on now.

It's more annoying that it's the 3rd game in it's genre in a row. Walking dead, King's Quest Episode one
lol
and then grim fandango. If you don't care for adventure games it's gotta be getting annoying at this point.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Bit annoyed because I'm actually buying these good games on Vita as soon as they come out and then they turn up on Plus a few months later. Nuclear Throne will be next, I'm sure.

Tempted to cancel my sub and buy any leftover games that I'm still "renting".

SxP

That's four months in a row where I'm not interested in any of the PS4 games. Hopefully it won't be four months in a row where I don't care about the Vita games either...

Deft Beck

Grim is a good game, and Hardware: Rivals looks interesting.

People get way too picky about free games that they don't have to play if they don't want to.

Mario007

Grim is a good game, and Hardware: Rivals looks interesting.

People get way too picky about free games that they don't have to play if they don't want to.
Considering some people pay for the service for those games this is a ridiculous attitude to take.

Man

Hardware Rivals beta was actually pretty good.
Surprised Sony is just giving away a brand new 1st party title.

I have Grim on PC but I'm happy to have a portable version of it for the vita now.

I had broken age on the PC too but the vita version ended up being the one I sank most of my time with.

VLiberty

It's true. Tons of people complained about it before trying it just because it was an indie game.

The sad thing is that there is a ton more indie games as worthy as RL but they still keep getting trashed even after people try them. That's because Rocket League is trendy, the others, not so much.

The problem relies in the gamers, not in the games.

Tizoc

You heard wrong and should feel bad for being misinformed.
Grim Fandango is an Adventure game, an one of the most well received Adventure Games from LucasArts' output.

Top Bottom