• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese composer Yoko Shimomura’s music for Final Fantasy XV is voted into the Top 300 Classic FM Hall of Fame 2024

FFXV has some of the best tracks in the series, like Valse di Fantastica. It's a shame that this particular track has been underused in the actual game, but I'm glad to see it getting the praise it deserves. Yoko Shimomura did an amazing job with this track, as well as with the rest of the music she composed for the game.

Merkades

I quite liked the music and even the game of FFXV, though not my favorite by far. The best track in FFXV, though unused I think, was Prelude - World of Wonder. I am not sure if that is her credit or not, but regardless, the games OST was quite good.

Kumomeme

FFXV is a terrible game and i has some gripe with the sound design but still, THAT music

Happy Feel Good GIF

hot take : music is the one carrying the game's slouch

Last edited:

Hugare

Shimomura is amazing, but I was expecting way more from FF XV soundtrack

It had some great tunes, but others were so bland. Those " not epic" songs for just traveling around and exploring the world were not so good and generic.

I believe that the best songs were those introduced earlier on in the project's development, the ones from the trailers. Seems like she also suffered from the game's development hell.

Her Kingdom Heart compositions are legendary and my favorites of her

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Classic FM is one of the main radio stations in the UK and I listen to it quite a bit whilst driving. They often play some music from FF7, FF15 and Kingdom Hearts like Aerith's theme (Distant Worlds version), Somnus, Dearly Beloved.

It's always pretty cool when it comes on the radio and it seems these are the only video games they put on the station. I've contacted them before asking them to play more FF and music from other entries in the series and hope they do.

Larxia

One of my favorite soundtracks ever, deserved.
I quite liked the music and even the game of FFXV, though not my favorite by far. The best track in FFXV, though unused I think, was Prelude - World of Wonder. I am not sure if that is her credit or not, but regardless, the games OST was quite good.

Indeed, it was only used for the trailer "world of wonder" and never in the game, a real shame. It's quite reflective of FF XV as a whole sadly though, so much lore and content, but vastly underused.

I actually made a music video using this particular music, and showcasing out of bounds / unused environments, to really put to light the hidden beauties of the game.

Final Fantasy XV is both a game that I love and a game that I find really frustrating, because of its wasted potential. I'll forever be attached to the project though, it's just part of me lol.

StueyDuck

Good for them...

I didn't think xv's ost was all the great besides like the main theme. I can't remember what it's called, like angry noctis or something 🤣.

Again though, congratulations on them either way.

Go_Ly_Dow

Overall 15 for me had some standout tracks and has a better OST than the majority of video games out there, but within FF is one of the lowest ranking for me. I'd put 10, 12, 13, 16 and 7Rs well above from the more modern games in the series. (Not played 11 and 14, but I know the music in those games is well loved)

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I didn’t pay much attention to the soundtrack back when I played it.

But then I played Theathrythm and realized it’s one of the best soundtracks of mainline FFs.

fatmarco

Apart from the pliagarism lol...

That being said, I really loved a lot of the music in XV, to the degree I'd artficially extend fights just to finish them at the crescendo of the battle music:

Also one of the all time best versions of:

fatmarco

Not exactly new to the series tho

I mean sure, but Final Fantasy 1 was still within (or at the start of) the period where games literally just ripped off everything, from art, to songs, to storylines, to characters or what have you.

We had games like "Snatcher" ripping off Blade Runner its entirety and "Doom" building its identity off of stolen famous metal tracks.

This is over 25 years later, so the standards have changed, and the fact that that this theme was stolen from the biggest RPG of all time just years after it's release is makes it a bigger issue.

Top Bottom