• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese GAFers: Are you standing in line for Wii? At all? Please?

Mrbob

You know I wonder how crazy the lines will be in Japan for the next couple weeks (maybe longer?).

DS sells 150-200K a week, and now a ton of people will want to buy a Wii as well. Nintendo could be racking up 400K combined hardware sales per week!

Zynx

MegaTen said:
You guys saw Kutaragi break open the "golden bra" for the PS3 launch.. well now it was Sonic's turn to break open the golden bra for the Wii launch. And yes as Cheesemeister said, it's very surreal.

bic04.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7k2ub4JUEs

WTF! This is so strange in many ways. First, Sega's mascot there to promote Nintendo's launch. And NO NINTENDO MASCOT either! (And what the heck with Luigi? The event didn't warrant Mario?)

Mrbob

Zynx said:
WTF! This is so strange in many ways. First, Sega's mascot there to promote Nintendo's launch. And NO NINTENDO MASCOT either! (And what the heck with Luigi? The event didn't warrant Mario?)

New Generation. Changing everything.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Assuming them sales is true, I guess we could see Wii reaching at LEAST N64 numbers. Those GC numbers are friggin pathetic.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
+3 minutes long-walk-lines for wii too

john tv said:
He works for a game magazine. :)

I'm surely one of the few insane people in the world who was at all four major launches -- PS3 Tokyo, PS3 NYC, Wii NYC, Wii Tokyo. And now, I want to sleep for a month. :p

You totally rock dude

Bert

...Nintendo, based in Kyoto, said it delivered 400,000 Wii consoles to retailers in Japan for the opening day and has produced 1 million units to replenish stores, such as Yodobashi, that sell out of the game...

I am reading that right? They have another 1m consoles waiting for the restock?

If they sell those and have anything like the same numbers for US + Europe, then 4m by the end of the year seems easily possible. Compared to 6m 360 sales (from wikipedia, please correct me if wrong) in over a year, looks like Nintendo are on for a win.

Good Nintendo launches or not, 3rd parties can't ignore a system that is just 2m shy of the market leader in just over a month. Also, when Mario, SSB, and Harry Potter Wii (trust me this games will sell loads) hit next year, not to mention any "non-games" that Nintendo has up it's sleeve, plus stuff like Tiger Woods and The Sims which non-gamers and dads will eat up, this thing could go through the roof.

If I was a Sega or an EA, I'd be working overtime to get Virtua Tennis, Fight Night, etc onto Wii ASAP to cash in on the Wii Sports hype.

Cheesemeister said:
Don't they get confused, always thinking Wiimote input is intended for itself? I'd hate to constantly unplug one and plug in the other.
Well, if I have both of them on at the same time, there's a conflict between both Wii-motes. I was attempting to set up my JP Wii settings in the same fashion as my US Wii and when I had both of them on while switching Line Ins, the Wii-mote that I was using at the time would flip out every 10-15 seconds, with the pointer moving left and right really quickly.

Lesson learned: Don't attempt play with two Wii's on in a close proximity at the same time.

Neomoto

donkey show said:
Well, if I have both of them on at the same time, there's a conflict between both Wii-motes. I was attempting to set up my JP Wii settings in the same fashion as my US Wii and when I had both of them on while switching Line Ins, the Wii-mote that I was using at the time would flip out every 10-15 seconds, with the pointer moving left and right really quickly.

Lesson learned: Don't attempt play with two Wii's on in a close proximity at the same time.
I think it's because you probably had the two sensors bars too close to eachother :)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Stormbringer said:
Did that one guy was seriously floored at the gaijin who perfectly speaks japanese :lol ?

I guess, his mouth was wide open in shock.
:)

Neomoto said:
I think it's because you probably had the two sensors bars too close to eachother :)
Actually, ever since I put up the other sensor bar, I've been able to play all the way across my room with better accuracy, with one Wii on, of course. If anything, it's the similar signals of the two Wii's right next to each other, not the sensor bars, that was interfering with the signal to the Wii-mote of either console. But it's not like I'm going to play them at the same time on the same TV anyway... or am I? o_O

Deku

Banned
Zynx said:

Mario is too big for the Wii. He's preparing the 4th pillar.

wonderfuldays said:
Nintendo Japan : Return of the King confirmed!

There's only one return. And it ain't of the King. It's of the Jedi!
Btw, I hope the people in Japan are also picking up Trauma Center: Second Opinion along with their Wii.

Jammy

Banned
Mockingbird said:
There's only one return. And it ain't of the King. It's of the Jedi!
Btw, I hope the people in Japan are also picking up Trauma Center: Second Opinion along with their Wii.

Clerks 2? Hilarious movie, if a bit vulgar...

Jammy said:
How do you get the blue light to stay on?
They're both on WiiConnect24 standby mode in that picture. Although, I did get a message one time on the JP one while I was playing SFII and the blue light stayed on until I checked my messages.

Hero said:
What the heck are you trying to say?

Argh ! Sorry, I meant : was that Japanese guy really that impressed by the fact that the American guy in the line was speaking japanese fluently ? Because that's what it looked like :

4454tt6.jpg

AniHawk

soundwave05 said:
Any word on when Nintendo is planning to make their second shipment in Japan?

Probably when Sony looks like they're about to ship enough to surpass them. Y'know, just to **** with their minds.

Hyoushi

Stormbringer said:
Argh ! Sorry, I meant : was that Japanese guy really that impressed by the fact that the American guy in the line was speaking japanese fluently ? Because that's what it looked like
uh

that wasn't too fluent, a lot of the j-gaffers are better than that. the way he said "rimokon" was pretty off, hehe

Pellham

Banned
Yeah he didn't sound very authentic. Better than the average anime nerd who takes 2-3 classes in college, but not as good as someone who's lived in Japan for years.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
AniHawk said:
Probably when Sony looks like they're about to ship enough to surpass them. Y'know, just to **** with their minds.

Kinda like when you drive off when your friend is just about to get in the car, then stop 15 feet away and wait again for him to catch up. Cunning, Nintendo, cunning.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Stormbringer said:
Does anyone here think that Wii Sports might actually outsell Zelda this week in Japan ? If not in the long run ? I think there is a big chance.
I'd be very surprised if Wii Sports didn't outsell Zelda

Hyoushi said:
uh

that wasn't too fluent, a lot of the j-gaffers are better than that. the way he said "rimokon" was pretty off, hehe

Pellham said:
Yeah he didn't sound very authentic. Better than the average anime nerd who takes 2-3 classes in college, but not as good as someone who's lived in Japan for years.

Oh, I just appreciated that with my modest japanese skills, so the opinion of people who actually know better than me about on this subject is obviously preferred :D .
But the fact is, I would have though that one of the widespread, Japanese stereotype of the stranger who is incorporated into the Japanese society would be about the one who absolutely doesn't speak Japanese at all. So when one stranger gets to show minimal Japanese language skills, that wouldn't surprise me that some Japanese might appear impressed or surprised.
In that sense, I though that the apparent reaction of the Japanese guy, supported by the "editing" of the video (you know, like the little window where they show the reactions of the guests at various moment of the video) was actually pretty amusing, because everything fitted so perfectly at that instant :lol ! When I look back on it, it was probably a coincidence but in my mind, the scenario was already done. No wonder I'm actually the only one here who noticed that :lol .

I just wanted to clarify that :D . Normally, the off-topic ends HERE.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Amir0x said:
there's another DS in that image too that you missed

I see atleast 4 :)

And if we count the crouched heads... that would be a lot of DSs :lol

big_z

h-103_63911_wii004.jpg.jpg

That's only a part of the parking lot too. In the video the line looks massive-er.

Can someone explain why they put people in a parking garage? In the video it says basement level 4 wtf? why would there be wii down there.

I like this video. Massive line with a surprise at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2DwPRY0AXE

big_z said:
h-103_63911_wii004.jpg.jpg

That's only a part of the parking lot too. In the video the line looks massive-er.

Can someone explain why they put people in a parking garage? In the video it says basement level 4 wtf? why would there be wii down there.

I like this video. Massive line with a surprise at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2DwPRY0AXE

Crazy! There's another video that's longer at 3:22. You're looking at the guy passing a couple of hundred people per minute. Massive

Top Bottom