• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So after trying quite a bit of these type of games I think I'm gonna settle on three, I tried:

Dragon Blaze - dropped, it felt too automatic to me. I like the visuals but the extreme hands-offs approach put me off.

Seven Knights - dropped. Same as Dragon Blaze

Record Keeper - Still play it, but I'm not hooked. I like how nostalgic everything feels but the menus are so goddman sluggish I don't know why. I'm running it on a Nexus 5, but this game is hardly pushing anything visually, it's just weird.

Terra Battle - Still play it, one of the best gacha rpgs on phones IMO, unique battle system, superb art and music. Bit stingy on its premium currency but nothing too bad. One thing that absolutely works in its favor is how light on resources it is. It hardly drains battery like others games.

One Piece Treasure Cruise - Still play it, along with Terra Battle as the best gacha rpgs on phones. The battles are very hands on, and the timing based gimmick is actually fun and not annoying like it thought it was going to be. Amazing visuals and art, everything feels smooth as butter. My only complaint is the music, wish they used the music from the anime instead of this generic stuff, oh well. Oh and game is super generous with its premium currency.

Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes - Dropped, explained why here

I tried Puzzles and Dragons and Brave Frontier but didn't play them enough to form some impressions.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Been playing the New World game with the .hack dude cameo and although the main story is pretty light on content now, the You vs. Play teams is quite riveting. The odds are in your favor since your 4 man team shares a bar of HP while each of their characters have their own chunk of HP so you can eliminate them one by one, but it's great to see people entice players to attack them by putting some weaker units, only to surprise them with good defenses and special set-ups, lots of variety about two or so weeks in. Hope it comes over some day.

Azusa

Bought my start dash ticket. Why there are so many cute character to choose from? Ugh. I need to pick the cutest again. So hard.

I think Clarice would be a nice pick. Maybe. I have a few days to think.

I'm trying to start up Granblue in Chrome, but the app refuses to even open. Been searching google for about an hour but I can't find anything, anyone had this problem before?

Azusa

I'm trying to start up Granblue in Chrome, but the app refuses to even open. Been searching google for about an hour but I can't find anything, anyone had this problem before?

extension? Extension should work, I'm using it daily. For the browser version you need to turn on mobile emulation in dev tools (F12).

extension? Extension should work, I'm using it daily. For the browser version you need to turn on mobile emulation in dev tools (F12).

If you mean グランブルーファンタジー[ChromeApps版] from the chrome store, that's what I'm trying to get working.

edit: I give up. I'm just going to play on my phone.

Uthred

I've been digging into Legion of Heroes and fantasy war tactics. I think the quality of material that Nexon puts out is top notch.

Fantasy War Tactics is pretty good so far, all units available if you grind a bit for them, some of the best units available relatively early, generous (especially with the cheap monthly "sub" thing) with currency, the gacha equivalent gives you nice stuff but doesnt feel mandatory so far. Progression battles generally require you to play, and its solid enough SRPG-lite stuff, and then you can farm on auto. Main story is amusing enough to keep you interested. Nice looking as well. Pity about the terrible generic name.

Markun

Gotta say, I love the Slayers songs playing on the event page! They even got my favorite on there (Give a Reason).

How you get Lina and Naga for this event works a little differently from other event characters though.

-You have to choose to either side with Lina or Naga. The one you choose will join your party for the duration of the event. From there, you build up Lina or Naga's trust by putting them in your party in battle and winning. When you reach 100% trust with the one you chose, they join your party permanently. It works pretty much like almost all the event characters in Granblue.

- After the main battles of the Guild War event start, winning a specific battle will allow you to get the other character you didn't choose to join your party.

Rotnems

Neo Member
Gotta say, I love the Slayers songs playing on the event page! They even got my favorite on there (Give a Reason).

How you get Lina and Naga for this event works a little differently from other event characters though.

-You have to choose to either side with Lina or Naga. The one you choose will join your party for the duration of the event. From there, you build up Lina or Naga's trust by putting them in your party in battle and winning. When you reach 100% trust with the one you chose, they join your party permanently. It works pretty much like almost all the event characters in Granblue.

- After the main battles of the Guild War event end, a special battle will be available. Winning this battle will allow you to get the character you didn't choose to join your party.

Im siding with the laughing tittymonster

Regular events
Solid character artwork
Not needing multiple copies of a character to make him/her viable
Good music
Combat is a good mix of tactics/auto battle

It does have a huge flaw though. UI is a convoluted mess. After Grand Order, I am trying to pilot some sort of alien space ship, everytime I try to do anything.

kiryogi

Banned
It does have a huge flaw though. UI is a convoluted mess. After Grand Order, I am trying to pilot some sort of alien space ship, everytime I try to do anything.

I think part of it is that it's still a browser game lol.

That said, OMG @ the Slayers OP themes on the event page.

Also, I can't decide who to go with, Lina or Naga. D:

Azusa

I like Megumi voice more so I'll pick Lina.

I can't read kanji but UI is easy to understand after a while. Just play the game and you will learn all the buttons.

Uthred

Panzer Waltz is out for Android Wednesday, looking at it it seems to be a Chinese tank based equivalent to Kancolle?

I dont find the UI too convoluted, but its lack of responsiveness is annoying (especially when you're desperately trying to leech off an event battle ;) )

kiryogi

Banned
I dont find the UI too convoluted, but its lack of responsiveness is annoying (especially when you're desperately trying to leech off an event battle ;) )

Lol yeah, it's like confirm, confirm over the invite, do friend summon ASAP to land a hit at least, then do your thing. But yeah, I don't have trouble with the UI either.

kiryogi

Banned
... and get random captcha.

lol, when I was grinding out stuff for dailies, that caught me off guard. No CyGames I'm not hacking/botting!

Also it seems they extended the Seiryu event, mmmm maybe I could get that spear, but Slayers first.

I don't have that problem though. Maybe because I understand Japanese

Language barrier IS a part of it, but it's still convoluted, and often doesn't even appear coherent. I could easily make a few screenshots of different menus and convince somebody it's two different games.

While with other games, the fact that UI is intuitive even with language barrier in place really does speak volumes about how much more streamlined those ae.

aitakute

lol, when I was grinding out stuff for dailies, that caught me off guard. No CyGames I'm not hacking/botting!

Also it seems they extended the Seiryu event, mmmm maybe I could get that spear, but Slayers first.

Slayer event hasn't started yet, right?
Also, I haven't tried a guild war event before. How difficult is it? The character gacha ticket is only if your guild win, right?

Also, I haven't tried a guild war event before. How difficult is it? The character gacha ticket is only if your guild win, right?

スレイヤーズまぐな(古戦場18回目)(2016/1/22 19:00~1/30 23:59)

kiryogi

Banned

Nah it hasn't, and I just checked the dates, doesn't look like the events cross unlike the last one thankfully. Damn tho Slayers doesn't start until later this week ;-;

its 8 million users, not downloads. Grinding seiryu is getting on my nerves. Already grinded 45000, need another 30000 so i can rest.
I rushed for a gold ore last night (after getting spear, tablet and dagger), and now they've extended it. :O
I'mma get 2-3 more then.

8mil already is awesome.
Doubt they'll have 1/2 raids so soon, but I could use all the free Archangel drops.

Quixzlizx

http://forums.gumi.sg/forum/chain-chronicle/news/271375-game-closure-notice

Chain Chronicle – Global English server is shutting down next month.

Never really thought about it but it would definitely suck to have all the work and time you've put into a game just vanish like that.

It does suck. I'm trying to decide whether I want to get into one of these games again.

Granblue Fantasy is intriguing, but I don't know about the choice to just have westerners join the existing server when they release the localized app. While it does mean there probably isn't much of a risk of it getting shut down like the global Chain Chronicle server, it also means that I'm going to be way behind existing players, and events are probably going to be timed to Asian time zones.

I rushed for a gold ore last night (after getting spear, tablet and dagger), and now they've extended it. :O
I'mma get 2-3 more then.

8mil already is awesome.
Doubt they'll have 1/2 raids so soon, but I could use all the free Archangel drops.

this event is very efficient for item collecting because seiryu is weak but it does get old quick lol

Me being a newbie, I want a rate up on some SSRs... cuz I am almost at my first 3k crystals...

keep your hope low so you can be pleasantly surprised, not painfully disappointed. Its only 6% afterall even with rateup.

It does suck. I'm trying to decide whether I want to get into one of these games again.

Granblue Fantasy is intriguing, but I don't know about the choice to just have westerners join the existing server when they release the localized app. While it does mean there probably isn't much of a risk of it getting shut down like the global Chain Chronicle server, it also means that I'm going to be way behind existing players, and events are probably going to be timed to Asian time zones.

behind existing players is absolutely no big deal. Asian time zones barely affect me despite me being in europe. It sucks if you want to be in a japanese guild but otherwise trivial.

keep your hope low so you can be pleasantly surprised, not painfully disappointed. Its only 6% afterall even with rateup.

I keep reminding myself of this, but me snagging two SR items from random Multi raid I barely contributed as well as my Ex Luck in Fate/Grand Order (getting a limited edition 5* that I really REALLY wanted even before they added her almost immediately, and just generally healthy amount of 4* in that game that I pulled ) have raised my expectations.

Shouta

Language barrier IS a part of it, but it's still convoluted, and often doesn't even appear coherent. I could easily make a few screenshots of different menus and convince somebody it's two different games.

While with other games, the fact that UI is intuitive even with language barrier in place really does speak volumes about how much more streamlined those ae.

It's just plain bad. For such a popular game, it's got the worst UI I've seen in JP mobile games. On top of thsa, it runs super poorly even on a PC and using Chrome.

kiryogi

Banned
It's just plain bad. For such a popular game, it's got the worst UI I've seen in JP mobile games. On top of thsa, it runs super poorly even on a PC and using Chrome.

Huh, get a better PC? It runs like gravy on Chrome for me. On the other hand, on my Note 5, it kinda chugs. Although mainly, it's from having to download assets and whatnot.

TBH, something must be wrong on your end, I've ran it on computers considerably slower(Work PCs) and even chromebooks, and it runs like a champ.

Since I've turned on that Beta mode thingy in the options I've got no complaints about performance while I'm battling, everything runs super smoothly. Unless I'm running a Twitch stream by the side I guess but I wouldn't say it's the game's fault. My PC just isn't all that great.

Mobile performance on the other hand....

Game runs in slow-mo on my Asus Nexus, but it sure as hell runs smooth on my garbage work PC AND my also garbage personal Macbook... buut, with a caviat. Every now and then it will completely freeze for 5 seconds. But outside of those hitches, it runs smoothly.

Shouta

Since I've turned on that Beta mode thingy in the options I've got no complaints about performance while I'm battling, everything runs super smoothly. Unless I'm running a Twitch stream by the side I guess but I wouldn't say it's the game's fault. My PC just isn't all that great.

Mobile performance on the other hand....

Beta mode, huh? I don't think they had that last I played. I'll have to give it a shot but it's not the lagging like on mobile that's the issue. It's just a game that runs poorly in general. The UX for it is terribad partly because they didn't really try to do anything on that front but also because of how they set it up.

A game that has s super good user experience is something like Monster Strike. Excellent UI and everything responds very nicely even on less powerful mobiles

Tbh Granblue shouldn't even be running poorly even in older hardware. It's not doing anything heavy at all that requires any sort of power.

RalchAC

I read about the Chain Chronicle thing. A shame, because the game had really good gameplay but Gumi handling was quite bad. I'm not touching a game managed by them anytime soon.

Hopefully SE will publish Brave Exvius in the West.

Yep, looking for a new RPG. Might try out Soccer Spirits while waiting for Granblue.

Do you like One Piece? If so, Treasure Cruise is quite good.

Beta mode, huh? I don't think they had that last I played. I'll have to give it a shot but it's not the lagging like on mobile that's the issue. It's just a game that runs poorly in general. The UX for it is terribad partly because they didn't really try to do anything on that front but also because of how they set it up.

A game that has s super good user experience is something like Monster Strike. Excellent UI and everything responds very nicely even on less powerful mobiles

Tbh Granblue shouldn't even be running poorly even in older hardware. It's not doing anything heavy at all that requires any sort of power.

The beta mode doesn't really work that much wonders though, I'm not even sure what it does but when I put it on my games runs a bit smoother. Would be nice if more people tried it out to see if it works well for them but it's just a small quality of life improvement.

Anyhow, if any of you guys want to try it out the way to get there is [Menu] --> [Options (the brown/red button)] --> [Top button] --> [The top right button with the beta sign]

This would be nicer if it was in English lol

I'm not some big expert on menu's or anything but for Granblue it wasn't so bad when I got used to it. If i had to pick something with a good menu I'd go for Terra Battle. Mostly for the great atmosphere and the fact that's it's easy to navigate.

I'm guessing Granblue runs especially like garbage because it's rendering everything in its "browser" instead of natively, so there's an extra layer of processing it needs to perform

Monster Strike does have a nice UX though, asides from online co-op which is real bad. That's to be expected from a game that tried to bolt it onto existing infrastructure though

Top Bottom