• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

I keep reminding myself of this, but me snagging two SR items from random Multi raid I barely contributed as well as my Ex Luck in Fate/Grand Order (getting a limited edition 5* that I really REALLY wanted even before they added her almost immediately, and just generally healthy amount of 4* in that game that I pulled ) have raised my expectations.

in that case i wish i had your luck ;p

muu

The beta mode doesn't really work that much wonders though, I'm not even sure what it does but when I put it on my games runs a bit smoother. Would be nice if more people tried it out to see if it works well for them but it's just a small quality of life improvement.

Anyhow, if any of you guys want to try it out the way to get there is [Menu] --> [Options (the brown/red button)] --> [Top button] --> [The top right button with the beta sign]

This would be nicer if it was in English lol

I'm not some big expert on menu's or anything but for Granblue it wasn't so bad when I got used to it. If i had to pick something with a good menu I'd go for Terra Battle. Mostly for the great atmosphere and the fact that's it's easy to navigate.

Beta mode is significantly faster in most environments. No chance of winning MVP in a close race if you don't utilize that and reload on ougi chains.

I've been trying out a bunch of these games over the last couple of months, and I figured I'd post some short impressions on the ones I played.

Still Playing
- One Piece Treasure Cruise: My first gacha game and by far my favorite. Battles are fun and involving, it looks good, and premium currency is plentiful. Plus I pulled a Whitebeard and Rayleigh, so how can I stop now? I do agree with Error that they could probably do better on the music front, though I still like the raid boss battle music. My one major complaint would be the inability to move data to an SD card. And it takes up almost 1GB to boot.

- Final Fantasy Record Keeper: I'm starting to find myself playing this less and less. I'm still doing events to get the new characters, though I'm quite a bit behind on regular dungeons. Guess I can't catch up to the higher difficulty. Like Treasure Cruise, they're pretty generous with premium currency nowadays. Menus still feel a bit clunky.

- Chain Chronicle: Not for long, though, RIP. It was fun while it lasted, though I did have a hard time with the last chapters of Main Story 1. Incidentally, I did an 11-pull earlier today and got 5 Tias in a row.

- Age of Ishtaria: Battle system's simple but solid. Relatively powerful cards can be earned pretty easily in events, so you can eventually have a good team even without IAPs. Art is good, though it can get pretty lewd. Really resource-heavy for some reason; drains battery quickly.

- Soccer Spirits: Started this fairly recently. Enjoying it so far. Got to rank 30 yesterday and got Leventor as my legendary. Art style can get lewd, though I'm not sure which is worse in that regard between this and Ishtaria.

Dropped
- Love Live School Idol Festival: My second gacha game. I like rhythm games, so I played this religiously for a while. Unfortunately, like OPTC, it takes up close to 1GB of memory and you can't move it to an SD card. I had to choose between the two, and decided on keeping Treasure Cruise.

- Puzzle & Dragons: My third gacha game. I played this for a few months, but eventually the updates made the app too big to keep. It's a shame, because I was enjoying it, and I hear there's multiplayer now?

- Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle: Wasn't really feeling it.

- Dragon Blaze: Didn't play this one for long. The automated battle system didn't really do it for me.

Anyway, since CC's shutting down, I'll be looking for something new to replace it. I'll probably try Granblue when it comes out in English. But for now, how's Brave Frontier? I'm thinking of starting it, what with the bonus from CC and all.

MiTYH

Here's what I'm playing currently:

- One Piece Treasure Cruise: I love the manga series so this is a natural fit. They do the story right, lots of free gems, lots of good events. No real complaints (except that I haven't pulled a freaking legendary yet!)

- Dokkan Battle: Same with DBZ, they do it well, lots of free currency, and it's pretty fun.

- Puzzle/Dragons: I recently got into this. I've tried a bunch of times before, but this is the furthest I've gotten. I'm enjoying it but I recently hit a wall, so I need to rebuild some teams or do grinding. Lot of content though

- Chain Chronicle: RIP, I really enjoyed this, I started when V2 launched so I was getting into it. Might pick up the Japanese version of it.

- Bleach: Enjoying it so far. Never got into the anime, but I rolled a 5* so I'm taking my time, remaining hopeful

- Marvel Puzzle Quest: This counts right? Playing for almost a year. It's a grind but I'm in a casual alliance, and doing well for myself. Bunch of repeated content and kind of P2W in the end, but I haven't spent a dime yet

Dropped:
- Brave Frontier: Dropped because it wasn't fun. Too automatic, didn't care about the story

- POTK: Everything took too long to move. Maybe when it's officially released in global I'll come back to it, but there was a lot of crashing and issues

- A bunch of others for one reason or another, can't remember

Looking forward to:
- Literally anything Japanese that's coming to Global. I like to be able to understand everything. Granblue fantasy looks fun. I enjoy HunterxHunter and the fate/night ones, but dropped because of the language barrier.

- Soccer spirits. Heard good things, might give it a try

Yaari

PAD is the one I played the longest, enjoyed the most. I think it had the best gameplay. It kept me involved. Many of these games you can just get through without paying too much attention.

I hope that Nintendo's effort at mobile games will bring something with good gameplay. Something different from what we already have. There are so many games that are all the same, just some different skins and artwork.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm playing rune story atm.

No stamina, simplistic action based gameplay, generous amount of jewels to roll weapons/characters etc.

Only thing is it can be repetitive and it needs to do more to facilitate social playing and communication.

aitakute

I'm playing rune story atm.

No stamina, simplistic action based gameplay, generous amount of jewels to roll weapons/characters etc.

Only thing is it can be repetitive and it needs to do more to facilitate social playing and communication.

How about you drop that version and play the superior original version that is Shironeko Project? The game is soooooooo much better

download

FGO is having another event, they added another character I really want... T_T

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
In terms of simplicity and cool characters to use, F/GO is by far one of the more fun I've had with a mobile game.

joined a guild in preparation for the Slayers event.
I prefer solo because i can set my own assault time. Downside is you lose bunch of rewards from ancient battle field event. This time to make sure i can get both lina and naga i have to stop my soloing........... at least for a while.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Man, really want FGO, but seems like playing with global launching so soon would be a waste.

Only game I am playing right now is the Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes and Clash Royale, with a side helping of Bleach.

- Soccer spirits. Heard good things, might give it a try

It's ok. Their switch to a patch every two weeks from once a week has helped the quality of the patches overall but gacha rates were trashed over half a year ago, right before season 2 came out.

Also, season 2 power creep is real and season 2 characters can't be obtained outside of the gacha. Unlike season 1 characters, which can be scouted with GP, gotten from player boxes or the gacha. Lots of auto'ing and grinding for dailies, so if you can stand it, it may be up your alley. They've been redoing a lot of their art, likely to start their push into the JP market.

Wait, I think I'm mixing up my games. GB is what I meant. :)

Gran blue's English is just going to be a language option, it'll all be on the same servers. You can start now and think of it like a head start.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Language doesn't change gameplay. When they add English to the game it will be still the same game as it is today.

Gran blue's English is just going to be a language option, it'll all be on the same servers. You can start now and think of it like a head start.

Wait, so the US version won't be a new, separate version, but will just throw the U.S. in with the rest of the world on the same servers? I would honestly prefer that.

I just don't want to start a game now and then have to start over when the U.S. version hits. I'm playing Clash Royale on a Canadian account now only because they've said that progress translates over to the U.S. release when it happens.

garath

Wait, so the US version won't be a new, separate version, but will just throw the U.S. in with the rest of the world on the same servers? I would honestly prefer that.

I just don't want to start a game now and then have to start over when the U.S. version hits. I'm playing Clash Royale on a Canadian account now only because they've said that progress translates over to the U.S. release when it happens.

Yeah. Same servers, just an English client. I've been trying to start it here and there but the language barrier is daunting to me. I don't know how to reroll effectively and the couple attempts I made with a guide seemed like it might have been a bit out of date. Hoping it comes soon!

Azusa

I don't think its appropriate to call it as U.S or Global version. It will be Japanese version but with English language. They also want to add Korean and Chinese language later. The main thing that they still operate only in Japan. I haven't seen any English press release or any news in English on developer/game sites.

Will they push the game when they release English language? This is what I want to see. How they can promote the game in the West while the servers are still in Japan and all events are based on JST. Also all support are in Japan too. Will there be English speaking support? I expect some but who knows. Will there be official Granblue twitter/facebook in English? Too many questions.

Its hard to imagine how can they manage to support this game globally while having only office in Japan. Maybe its will be just an English language option and that all. No English support, no foreign credit card and account registration only in Japanese because its not part of Granblue service.

Also what about events and stuff. Japanese players have a headstart and exclusive content that was released before english speaking players got to join in...

Also what about events and stuff. Japanese players have a headstart and exclusive content that was released before english speaking players got to join in...

Yeah, collabs are the main reason I started to play, there have been Street Fighter and Idolmaster events. There's also the Slayers collab very soon.

With everything being on the Japanese servers there's a chance that even the English players will get something cool down the line though, there have never been any interesting collabs in the localized games I've played

Wouldn't say that the power difference is a big deal, like most games it kinda slows down at the end game so you'll probably catch up at some point. Only missing out on the SSR exclusive characters. Then again, power creep is always a thing so some better units will probably come down the line. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not some expert though but an end game weapon pool is mostly gained by leeching Magnas/Proto Bahamut, which is something everyone can do.

I'm also not super involved in the Guild Wars Meta, that's probably the only major thing where JP players will have an advantage. As that is actually PvP.

I'm also not super involved in the Guild Wars Meta, that's probably the only major thing where JP players will have an advantage. As that is actually PvP.
Not actual PVP. You earn points for your guild when doing the GW event stuff.
Then your guild move up the ranks, and get godly rewards for it.

Although very few get pass preliminaries, so mostly guilds with overgeared people move up.

Not actual PVP. You earn points for your guild when doing the GW event stuff.
Then your guild move up the ranks, and get godly rewards for it.

Although very few get pass preliminaries, so mostly guilds with overgeared people move up.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at :p
It's one of the few things where other people will have an impact on your rewards.

I think you've bee playing for a while, do you happen to know how hard it is to get through the prelims? How much points does one guild member need and how hard is it to those points?

My random guild isn't really succesful :(

Azusa

There are 5 /mbgg/ guilds. The oldest one has no problems with GW. Don't really know about others. I'm in the 4th or 3rd one. There are also English speaking guilds in the facebook granblue group.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Currently playing actively:

Battle Cats
FF Record Keeper

Currently playing passively / daily check-in:
Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes
One Piece TC (used to be crazy active, but scaled back)
Bleach
Star Trek Timelines
Monsters & Company

No need to wait. Join now and get the event exclusive character. God knows when they will do those collab events again. maybe several months, maybe one year, maybe never.

Saprol

I made a throwaway guild for those panel missions. Was going to shut it down then my online friends decided to bail from their JP guilds to get a reasonable assault time. Glory to Saprol団.

Can't do shit in guild wars though.
laugh.gif

Azusa

http://granbluefantasy.jp/pages/?p=6282

8mil event Jan 20 - Feb 1
-- One 10x gatcha ticket, 800 crystals and some AP pots and BP powder will be given out on Feb 2 for all users that have registered before Jan 31.
-- Usual lottery.
-- 80 crystals every day.
-- Coop 1/2 AP.
-- Weapon/summon levelup bonus
-- Star Legend gatcha.

Good event to grind coop. I need to finish all hard stages.

Remember somebody told me to tamper my expectations with premium gacha in mobages?

I'm sorry, but that is now impossible.

download

Took me 6 free tickets. Didn't even have to touch my quarz (premium currency)

desverger

Is there a GBF reroll guide anywhere that would be up to date? I found something with google, but it seems like that has outdated info and the screenshots do not match - especially in the guest account creation part.

RalchAC

I don't think its appropriate to call it as U.S or Global version. It will be Japanese version but with English language. They also want to add Korean and Chinese language later. The main thing that they still operate only in Japan. I haven't seen any English press release or any news in English on developer/game sites.

Will they push the game when they release English language? This is what I want to see. How they can promote the game in the West while the servers are still in Japan and all events are based on JST. Also all support are in Japan too. Will there be English speaking support? I expect some but who knows. Will there be official Granblue twitter/facebook in English? Too many questions.

Its hard to imagine how can they manage to support this game globally while having only office in Japan. Maybe its will be just an English language option and that all. No English support, no foreign credit card and account registration only in Japanese because its not part of Granblue service.

Many Global versions of F2P games use PST time zone, and I haven't seen a outcry among people from Europe that has to convert those times. At first it will be a hassle, after a while you will now when events start where you leave. For example, in OPTC events always start at 19.00 (PST). That means the stuff where I live (in Spain) starts at 4-5 in the morning, depending if we have Summer or Winter time.

They will probably have 1-2 people fluent in English (which don't need to be native speakers) which will handle everything. Running a Twitter account isn't that complicated if you just use it to post the strictly necessary PR info. Managing social media only gets time consuming when you interact with the community.

About spending money, what about using PayPal?

They would probably do the bare minimum and call it a day. It doesn't look like they have an ambitious plan.

Top Bottom