• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

chrono01

The prompts every time in that minigame is infuriating,
It is.

That and the camera keeps resetting in the upper left corner when the unit you need to move is in the lower right. I've started moving all of my units together in the top left corner just so I don't have to continually scroll every time they need to attack. It speeds things up a bit.

What I've been doing is getting the six stones from the tutorial, and then completing the first three missions for another four [three + one for the completion reward]. It gives me two rolls at the gatcha per re-roll, and only requires an additional three minutes or so [out everything on 3x speed and Auto Battle]. The tutorial is easily the worst part.

linkent

Got this 4* for my starter.. Seems to be upgradable to 5* in the future but not currently in this client.

qNLmzIW.jpg

Cleared 1-10 and roll another 4 3* units :(

So currently having a bad start, most of those roll are sword units.
Dunno how good are mono team in this game, but it seems to encourage rainbow team instead for weakness.

Will just stick with this account as rerolling process is stupidly tedious.

chrono01

Got this 4* for my starter.. Seems to be upgradable to 5* in the future but not currently in this client.

Cleared 1-10 and roll another 4 3* units :(

So currently having a bad start, most of those roll are sword units.
Dunno how good are mono team in this game, but it seems to encourage rainbow team instead for weakness.

Will just stick with this account as rerolling process is stupidly tedious.
Nice, congrats! She's cute.

Shirke

I'm trying to get a sense of what gatcha games are worth playing. So far I have:

Brave Frontier
Love Live
Crusaders Quest
Galaxy of Heroes
Summoner's War
Unison League
Dungeon Boss
Dragon Blaze

They're all pretty fun, but I might drop Dragon Blaze, because of how boring it's getting, and I'm running out of space. I just downloaded Fantasy War Tactics, Seven Knights and Phantom of the Kill to see how they are. Any other games worth playing now or in the future?

chrono01

I'm trying to get a sense of what gatcha games are worth playing. So far I have:

Brave Frontier
Love Live
Crusaders Quest
Galaxy of Heroes
Summoner's War
Unison League
Dungeon Boss
Dragon Blaze

They're all pretty fun, but I might drop Dragon Blaze, because of how boring it's getting, and I'm running out of space. I just downloaded Fantasy War Tactics, Seven Knights and Phantom of the Kill to see how they are. Any other games worth playing now or in the future?
One Piece Treasure Cruise is a lot of fun. Also, the previously-mentioned Chain Chronicle.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Brave Frontier
Love Live
Crusaders Quest
Galaxy of Heroes
Summoner's War
Unison League
Dungeon Boss
Dragon Blaze

I've played all of these (clearly this is my genre of choice).

The only 2 from this list I still play are Dragon Blaze and Galaxy of Heroes (and FWT). DB is actually the easiest to maintain, so it's a hard one for me to give up. I played Brave Frontier for a long while but it got too crazy for me, and pulling the same character out of the gacha 5+ times got to be a little old for me. Still, fun while it lasted. Galaxy of Heroes is a good one I just started and really liked. The rest on your list I tried but discarded shortly thereafter.

It's really a matter of personal taste. I tend to gravitate towards the games that are fast and easy to keep up with rather than those that require a significant investment each day. For example, I can burn all of my energy in Galaxy of Heroes in about 5 minutes (using sims) if I have to, and I don't lose anything. Then the energy takes a while to recharge so I can just ignore it for a long while.

But Fantasy War Tactics has a really small energy pool that recharges pretty fast, and there are expeditions to run every 30 mins (or 1hr or 2hr), so I feel the compulsion to check it more often. It's getting to be a bit annoying, haha. I like the game too much to quit right now but I do wish for a bigger energy pool.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yeah, I just went back to Japanese PotK; I can't play with how garbage English is at this point.

chrono01

Yeah, I just went back to Japanese PotK; I can't play with how garbage English is at this point.
Probably for the best while they work out all of the errors. Things are relatively smooth on my end, thankfully.

That tutorial, though. One of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of playing. Just the same thing repeated over and over, which you need to keep doing for the 6 Lazuli. I have to do it for each re-roll too. :/

linkent

Probably for the best while they work out all of the errors. Things are relatively smooth on my end, thankfully.

That tutorial, though. One of the worst I've ever had the displeasure of playing. Just the same thing repeated over and over, which you need to keep doing for the 6 Lazuli. I have to do it for each re-roll too. :/
Which one are you rerolling for?
The client is super slow for me.
But at least it is playable unlike my friend who encounter crash here and there.

For character, it seems like those high tier character can be slowly upgraded from their 1 star version.
I am not sure about this, but so far i've gotten Luin, Durandal 1star.
Will see whether we can keep upgrading them to those high tier units.

chrono01

PotK is only on android so far, right? Any word on iOS?
It's available on iOS in Canada and a few other regions. No Android yet.

Which one are you rerolling for?
The client is super slow for me.
But at least it is playable unlike my friend who encounter crash here and there.

For character, it seems like those high tier character can be slowly upgraded from their 1 star version.
I am not sure about this, but so far i've gotten Luin, Durandal 1star.
Will see whether we can keep upgrading them to those high tier units.
A unit can be upgraded three times, starting from silver --> gold --> pink. If you can manage to get a 4* silver unit, 99.9% of the time they can be upgraded to that elusive 6* [when it's incorporated].

For units, I use this link to see what evolutions they're capable of. Click the 3*/4*/5*/6* headings on the left side.

https://translate.google.ca/transla...kill.gamewith.jp/article/show/7962&edit-text=

Ideally, I'd like Sita [Japanese name, no idea what she is in English] for her varied leader ability [HP / hit / avoidance / killer of all units 1.2x]. It works for varies types so you can use her a lot. That being said, any 6* will do.

5* don't seem too rare in this game. There's quite a few silver 3* that can be upgraded to pink 5*. The real rarity seem to be silver 4* or gold 5* units, which upgrade to pink 6*. :(

Uthred

Is there anyway to backup data before re-rolling? The account transfer option doesnt seem to be in this version

linkent

It's available on iOS in Canada and a few other regions. No Android yet.

A unit can be upgraded three times, starting from silver --> gold --> pink. If you can manage to get a 4* silver unit, 99.9% of the time they can be upgraded to that elusive 6* [when it's incorporated].
:(
That mean most of these 1* will be useless soon.
couldnt commit much time to this game.
Will see whether i could continue playing.

Mozendo

Thanks for creating this thread, I'm a huge sucker for these type of games, I didn't know more existed.
Also it was mentioned in the previous thread but has anyone played Grand Sphere [Android | iOS] I think it's pretty great, only put in a few minutes so far but the battles are really really simple and I can see myself playing this for quite some time.

Also I want to try Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, but for some reason Google says it's incompatible with my phone for some reason, any way to bypass that?

Azusa

Sadly Grand Sphere global version is bad. It has more p2w elements than original, Japanese version. They give less premium currency and gatcha has worse rates.

I can't tell why you can install Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes but I don't recommend it either. This game is p2w. And the main problem I have with this game that when you want to pull a nice hero you get a hero shard instead. You need to collect like 60 shards of that hero to get him. Eh. Such BS. I haven't seen gatcha as evil as this.

Thanks for creating this thread, I'm a huge sucker for these type of games, I didn't know more existed.
Also it was mentioned in the previous thread but has anyone played Grand Sphere [Android | iOS] I think it's pretty great, only put in a few minutes so far but the battles are really really simple and I can see myself playing this for quite some time.

Also I want to try Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, but for some reason Google says it's incompatible with my phone for some reason, any way to bypass that?

There was an OT for the game but since it kinda died I didn't think of putting it in the OP for this thread. I'll add it though if people are still interested in it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1106909

Yaari

Is PotK fun gameplay?

I'm trying GungHo's new game Legend of Kingdom. It's pretty fun but not localized. They have a Madoka collab going on right now.

chrono01

Is PotK fun gameplay?
It's essentially Fire Emblem, right down to the triangle system. Performance-wise, some people are having crash issues, I haven't thankfully. The only problem I have, that they're already said they're working on, is the loading for the first mission sticking at 100%. You need to kill the app, launch it again, and choose to resume to progress. You can tell that it's still in-beta though, with a few other errors popping up occasionally [such as Japanese text].

It's fun, although I'm still re-rolling for a future 6* unit. I won't settle for anything less.

Jarekx

I want to try Potk but haven't ever done region switching. Maybe I'll just hold out until the full release. Fire Emblem gameplay is something I'm always in the mood for more of.

chrono01

Comparing it to Fire Emblem is pretty high praise. We will see!
It's not the same quality of course, but the gameplay is very similar.

Sword --> Axe
Axe --> Spear
Spear --> Sword
Bow --> Flying Units

Different terrain grants different bonuses, as does battling alongside other units.

Think of it as Fire Emblem-lite, maybe?

Uthred

The gear system in PotK is rather annoying, having a (fairly high it feels) chance of losing a weapon permanently when you try to repair it is rather obnoxious. Also so far all of the maps have been pretty boring, not a lot of tactics involved just running troops into one another. I think Fantasy War Tactics does a better job at making you think about how to get through a level. Perhaps it improves later.

After trying out a few of these games, I seem to have finally stuck with Chain Chronicles and Marvel Puzzle Quest (I'm surprised I haven't seen this one mentioned at all in this topic. It isn't Japanese, but it is definitely a gacha game, and it's actually the one I've been playing the longest.) It can be pretty frustrating as a f2p player, though. It's fine at first, but once you make it past 2* characters and start getting a good team of 3* characters it gets really frustrating without actually paying money for drops. It's still good to log in and play for a bit at work during downtime, though. Same with Chain Chronicles (which I've been treating very casually. Haven't really even gone very hard on the gacha in that game, just been using my starter characters and Nimpha.)

I've also been playing Galaxy of Heroes for the past week, and it's held my attention for this week pretty hard, but I'm not quite sure how sustainable it is without actually dropping money into it. Hell, I dropped $5.00 on it almost right away with a Sith bundle it offered me, and I honestly don't think I'd be doing as well/getting as far as I have been without having bought that. $5.00 isn't bad, though it then offered me a $25.00 Droid bundle, $40.00 Jedi bundle and finally a $50.00 Heroine bundle. KOTOR nostalgia eventually got to me and I got the droid bundle for HK-47, but I have to admit I kind of regretted it afterwards. I only did it because I had some google play credit from buying a new phone, so it didn't actually cost me anything, but I really don't see how you could compete in this game without purchasing something. It would be a really bad grind of just playing the same starting levels for a really long time.

I tried Brave Frontier, Dragon Blaze, Puzzle & Dragons, Blood Brothers 2, and Terria Battle. Terria Battle didn't really turn me off, per se, as much as I just got caught up in other games. I was logging in daily until it gave me a server error one day, and then when I tried to log in later that night it said I had missed a log in and killed my 30 something day streak. Since then I kinda just gave up on the game.

Dragon Blaze was just boring, and Brave Frontier was like a slightly better gameplay wise Dragon Blaze but it looks way worse. I can't get into the art for Brave Frontier AT ALL. Seemed like an OK game to play while watching TV or something, but ultimately it didn't hold my attention.

Blood Brothers 2 had a really cool art style, sort of like Darkest Dungeon, but god the game play was really boring. It was a bit better in the PVP mode, but I also needed way better characters to compete in the PVP mode which I just wasn't getting. It was essentially an endless game of rock paper scissors.

Puzzles & Dragons I played for a good month or two before getting frustrated with unlocking cool monsters/evolving cool monsters and not being able to use them in my team due to not having enough points. I have all these cool gods and I can only use one or two on a team at once?? It just turned me off from it. I still log in daily though, haven't deleted it like I did with Brave Frontier and Dragon Blaze.

If Phantom of the Kill actually plays like Fire Emblem I'll be pretty interested in checking that out. Don't know why but I love trying these games out. Most of em last me a couple weeks to a month at best before I tire of em though. Trying to find the next Marvel Puzzle Quest that will keep me playing for months (I started playing Marvel Puzzle Quest back in May or June, still log into it and play daily. Not as hardcore into it as I was though, due to the grind mentioned before).

commish

I've also been playing Galaxy of Heroes for the past week, and it's held my attention for this week pretty hard, but I'm not quite sure how sustainable it is without actually dropping money into it. Hell, I dropped $5.00 on it almost right away with a Sith bundle it offered me, and I honestly don't think I'd be doing as well/getting as far as I have been without having bought that. $5.00 isn't bad, though it then offered me a $25.00 Droid bundle, $40.00 Jedi bundle and finally a $50.00 Heroine bundle. KOTOR nostalgia eventually got to me and I got the droid bundle for HK-47, but I have to admit I kind of regretted it afterwards. I only did it because I had some google play credit from buying a new phone, so it didn't actually cost me anything, but I really don't see how you could compete in this game without purchasing something. It would be a really bad grind of just playing the same starting levels for a really long time.

Just to address this, really the only place you're competing in Galaxy of Heroes is in PvP, where there's a pretty clear line between the p2p folks and the f2p folks. Otherwise, unless you have to be top of PvP, in every other mode you don't really have to spend anything because you're not competing with anyone. In other games, especially games like Dragon Blaze, you're competing with other folks in a different event every day, and your progress becomes stunted because the p2p folks dominate each daily event.

You aren't competing, but I have no idea how the hell I could have done any of the dark side pve content so far without buying that Dooku bundle. Without getting lucky with the gacha, of course.

I am still having a lot of fun with the game, don't get me wrong. But at minimum you really do need to spend the $5 on the Dooku bundle.

commish

Definitely agree that the $5 Dooku purchase is 100% mandatory. It's kinda unfair how they give you enough characters for Light but almost nothing of use for dark.

Uthred

I've noticed in PotK sometimes the gem in the premium summon animation turns from blue to gold, both times I got 4* Gold units. Could be coincidence or it could be like Dokkan Battle where you need the "special" animation to get the better units?

chrono01

I've noticed in PotK sometimes the gem in the premium summon animation turns from blue to gold, both times I got 4* Gold units. Could be coincidence or it could be like Dokkan Battle where you need the "special" animation to get the better units?
It is.

- If the gem is always Blue, you'll get a 3* unit.
- If the gem is gold when you pull back, it'll either be a 3* or a chance of a 4*.
- If the gem is gold to begin with, you'll get a 4* with a chance of a 5*.

It's not yet available in the Global release, but if you get a red gem when you pull back in the Japanese version, you're guaranteed a 5* unit.

chrono01

After re-rolling for around a week in Phantom of the Kill for a single 6* unit, I'm convinced that the gatcha is either broken [with some units not available, such as female Apollo] or Gumi messed with the rates. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect them to be common, but I'd estimate I'm on 100+ re-rolls by now so to not see a single one speaks volumes.

I'll definitely restrain from spending money on this one once it officially launches. The rates are so bad.

Edit: Damn it, sorry for the double-post. I could have sworn I wasn't the last to post here. :/

Azusa

I'll definitely restrain from spending money on this one once it officially launches. The rates are so bad.:/

I don't get why everyone IAP just to roll some new heroes/items. I think its good to buy stamina refreshes to farm more, especially in the beginning. You can pull a good hero/item but usually you'll get some mediocre hero/items but when you buy stamina refreshes you'll gain more levels and can power level some of your starter units.

chrono01

I don't get why everyone IAP just to roll some new heroes/items. I think its good to buy stamina refreshes to farm more, especially in the beginning. You can pull a good hero/item but usually you'll get some mediocre hero/items but when you buy stamina refreshes you'll gain more levels and can power level some of your starter units.
Haha, that's exactly why I always re-roll for a high-tier unit before I begin playing any gatcha title, since I can then use more of the in-game currency towards other useful things [and not a "chance" at a rare unit]. It doesn't help that Phantom of the Kill is slightly more challenging early on, so stronger units will help you progress further faster.

What I normally do is get a good starter box and/or friend list [if applicable]. I don't bother with stamina refreshes early on, since you don't get a lot of use out of them until you rank up more.

But these Phantom of the Kill rates! I have a feeling the only 6* I'll ever get is the one I re-roll hours upon hours for, since [from what I can] we never receive rate-up events to help with recruiting them. I still feel like our rates are slightly broken at the moment. I've watched Japanese videos of PotK where [on average] they get a 6* out of every 20 pulls. As it is now, they're easily more rare than any UR card from Chain Chronicle, even before the V2 rate increase. It didn't take me half this long to get my UR in CC.

I know I don't need to re-roll for a potential/future 6*, but it feels like a waste not to, when considering how low their rates are.

Pangya

I made a Canadian iTunes account to download PotK, was actually easier than I expected. After about 3 rerolls, I managed to pull a 4* Brahmastra and stuck with that since it eventually gets 6*. I did the 1st scenario and a couple of 2nd before I was able to roll 5* Mitum Phoenix Knight, so I think I lucked out a bit.

Dandte

I Downloaded kai-ri-sei Million arthur from the singapore ios App Store. It is completely in englisch and it was Love on First Sight. The gameplay has more depth than some homeconsole rpgs, turn delay, buffs, element ressistance and tank healer phys dps and magic dps classes plus the cost function from hearthstone. I highly Recommend to try it out. There is also coop:)

Useful beginner tipps:

Start now, like now now. Right After the Start of the Tutorial the game gives you 10 gems for the gacha pull but atm the Launch Event is active which means instead of the normal 2 pulls from 10 Stones, you get 10 with 3 guarenteed ur 5* cards. I went with a healer lead and got a super useful buff machine.

Allways Check the arthur tab. The Game doesen't Mention it, but you can let your avatar run for exp gold etc, super useful. Took me quite a while to find this. So much wasted Gold, evo mats etc. :/

Go to notices, scroll down to friend invite and feel free to use My id: 475086046 one more pull for both of us :)

Yaari

I Downloaded kai-ri-sei Million arthur from the singapore ios App Store. It is completely in englisch and it was Love on First Sight. The gameplay has more depth than some homeconsole rpgs, turn delay, buffs, element ressistance and tank healer phys dps and magic dps classes plus the cost function from hearthstone. I highly Recommend to try it out. There is also coop:)

Useful beginner tipps:

Start now, like now now. Right After the Start of the Tutorial the game gives you 10 gems for the gacha pull but atm the Launch Event is active which means instead of the normal 2 pulls from 10 Stones, you get 10 with 3 guarenteed ur 5* cards. I went with a healer lead and got a super useful buff machine.

Allways Check the arthur tab. The Game doesen't Mention it, but you can let your avatar run for exp gold etc, super useful. Took me quite a while to find this. So much wasted Gold, evo mats etc. :/

Go to notices, scroll down to friend invite and feel free to use My id: 475086046 one more pull for both of us :)

Is this like Dragon Poker with anime characters?
I'm liking what I'm seeing
5* the best rating?

Dandte

5* the best rating?
I don't Know Dragon Poker but the gameplay is really like a jrpg plus automode if wanted. 5* is an Ultra Rare Card which normally has a 6% Chance, These can be evolved to 6 Star card, highest Rating.

5* the best rating?

Normal(1-2), Rare, Super Rare, Ultra Rare then Million Rare. Only cards that come out as Ultra Rare can evolve to Million Rare.

It's not like Dorapo, it's mostly like an RPG with cards as commands. Your deck is 10 cards and you pick one role: DPS, Tank, Magic or Healer.

Falk

that puzzling face
P.S. FFRK's UI update hits tomorrow.

Expect much improved performance, less discreet steps tinkering with loadouts, etc.

Yaari

Thanks for the info. Will give the game a try. Found some card in my inbox too.
Got 2 of the same URs'. Not sure if there's any purpose to that?

Useful beginner tipps:

Adding you later, still doing stuff in JPN version

Pangya

It looks like the soft launch Android apk is out for PotK. Re-rolling is apparently super easy by manipulating the files (tutorial here).

chrono01

It looks like the soft launch Android apk is out for PotK. Re-rolling is apparently super easy by manipulating the files (tutorial here).
Unless you're on iOS 9 like I am. :/

I was really getting tired of the 20+ minute re-rolls [as well as needing to download the install every single time], so I went ahead with my 3* Longinus [Female, that Kana Hanazawa voice...], 4* Naegling [upgradeable to 5* later on] and 3* Mitum [Male] [also upgradeable to 5* later]. I've been re-rolling for around a week whenever I got time, so I've given up going for a specific unit.

Ideally, I wanted one of the 4* silver units so I could upgrade to the 6* when they're released [or a gold 5*], but I felt if I didn't actually go ahead and play this thing I probably would have quit anyway, not to mention when I did I'd probably get a horrible type to do with it. Three future 5* [Longinus, Naegling, and Mitum] aren't too bad, I guess?

Anyway, feel free to add me if you want. I'm currently leading with Naegling. My in-game ID is 1247038501.

Just let me know your name if you add me, unless it has GAF in the title. I would have added it to mine, but not enough space. :/

Uthred

Might re-roll now that its easier but not really feeling PotK, it has some good elements but the gacha bullshit feels too strong. You can fail combining units (including limit breaking), you can fail repairing gear, every resource from even xp on feels extremely limited. Both the iOS and Android (even on an emulator) feel poorly optimised. The character art is nice but the in-game models look much worse than comparable games (e.g. Fantasy War Tactics). The gameplay itself also hasnt done a lot for me. I'll probably end up re-rolling till I get a decent unit and then not bother with, sick as it is while I hate it I fear I secretly enjoy re-rolling for top tier units.

Probably worth completing the first three levels, its quick, you can do it with auto battle and that should bump you up to two pulls assuming you finished the mini game.

Azusa

It seems every global Chain Chronicles events are broken. Thx GUMI for thinking one step beyond. Its so frustrating to play when nothing works as it should be. Every time.

I think its time to drop it and try to play something better.

Top Bottom