• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

chrono01

Incredible event on right now in Phantom of the Kill. After you complete the tutorial, you unlock the ability to do three sets of ten pulls. The first only costs you ten Lazuli [!!!], the second 30 Lazuli, and the third 50 Lazuli]. Not only that, but the boost to 5* units is supposedly increased with each pull you do. With the final, 50 Lazuli pull, I'm told you're guaranteed at least one 5* unit.

I did two sets of pulls for a total of 40 Lazuli [the equivalent of 100, outside of this event]. I received eight 5/6* units, with only one of them being a duplicate [Naegling].

*future 6* units*

- Female Mitum
- Female Asclepious
- Female Mjolnir

*5* units*

- Female Naegling [dupe]
- Female Littu
- Female Laevateinn
- Male Gambanteinn
- Male Yata no Kagami

They're also doing a promotion where you can run the metal dungeon [think of it as XP farm] once daily without a key [you normally need one to unlock it for an hour]. Time to level up my units!

Yaari

Thanks for posting that. I might jump back into the reroll later on. As of now I don't play any mobile game anymore so I can give this a try.

chrono01

Thanks for posting that. I might jump back into the reroll later on. As of now I don't play any mobile game anymore so I can give this a try.
Not a problem.

Yeah, it's a great time to re-roll. If you're on Android or an earlier version of iOS, you can easily obtain ten Lazuli to do the ten-summon. If you get a few great units, quickly farm out another 30 Lazuli within the first seven days [easy to do if you're diligent] and do another ten summon! I think I might actually purchase a few Lazuli and do the final summon myself for that 5* unit.

I have iTunes credit that's been wasting away, so I might as well.

garath

Guess it's time to download that apk. Shouldn't be an issue playing it when it really releases in the NA when I'm using a non-playstore apk right?

chrono01

Guess it's time to download that apk. Shouldn't be an issue playing it when it really releases in the NA when I'm using a non-playstore apk right?
Nope, shouldn't be a problem at all given past soft launches. Just start the game now, link your account to Facebook, and then when the game is officially released in all of NA just download the app from your store, log into your already-saved account, and you're good to go.

Azusa

I have tried to play it on bluestacks but it was so unresponsive that I gave up. I'll try to install it on my phone instead.

Uthred

Incredible event on right now in Phantom of the Kill. After you complete the tutorial, you unlock the ability to do three sets of ten pulls. The first only costs you ten Lazuli [!!!], the second 30 Lazuli, and the third 50 Lazuli]. Not only that, but the boost to 5* units is supposedly increased with each pull you do. With the final, 50 Lazuli pull, I'm told you're guaranteed at least one 5* unit.

I did two sets of pulls for a total of 40 Lazuli [the equivalent of 100, outside of this event]. I received eight 5/6* units, with only one of them being a duplicate [Naegling].

*future 6* units*

- Female Mitum
- Female Asclepious
- Female Mjolnir

*5* units*

- Female Naegling [dupe]
- Female Littu
- Female Laevateinn
- Male Gambanteinn
- Male Yata no Kagami

They're also doing a promotion where you can run the metal dungeon [think of it as XP farm] once daily without a key [you normally need one to unlock it for an hour]. Time to level up my units!

Thanks for the heads up, ordinary re-rolling was super tedious, at least it feels better doing it this way. Even if it is weird being disappointed when you get all gold stars ;)

Uthred

chrono01,

Is there a tier list or something? How do I know that I have rolled a cool character?

Ideally you want a character who can become a 6* unit, as far as I know a silver star unit can upgrade two ranks and a gold star one rank, so a 4* silver unit or 5* gold unit. Here's a list of 6* units and their respective rankings, so you want units that can upgrade to them https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fphankill.gamewith.jp%2Farticle%2Fshow%2F7962&edit-text=

Christmas boss event in Granblue Fantasy:
7kfLSfM.png

They've also added two new advanced jobs (Gunslinger and Sword Master).
Job Point req are so damn high. :O

Uthred

Cant help but feel getting the red gem at the beginning of the 10 pull in Phantom of the Kill is just taunting me with its failure to deliver.

They will be adding an English language option for the current game early next year.

Interesting, might just hold off till then. I sort of enjoy the, generally terrible, stories in these games for some reason. Its my guilty pleasure ;)

chrono01

The successor to PotK has entered pre-reg in Japan...
Oh man, these gatcha games just don't stop!

Thanks for the heads up, ordinary re-rolling was super tedious, at least it feels better doing it this way. Even if it is weird being disappointed when you get all gold stars ;)
You're very welcome, good luck re-rolling!

Ideally you want a character who can become a 6* unit, as far as I know a silver star unit can upgrade two ranks and a gold star one rank, so a 4* silver unit or 5* gold unit. Here's a list of 6* units and their respective rankings, so you want units that can upgrade to them https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fphankill.gamewith.jp%2Farticle%2Fshow%2F7962&edit-text=

chrono01,

Is there a tier list or something? How do I know that I have rolled a cool character?
It's not really a tier list, and several of the units aren't included in the Global version yet, but Uthred pretty much covered what I was going to say [linked above].

If you don't mind re-rolling, for recommended pulls it would probably have to be Durandal, Mitum [Female], Female Apollo, Rune, Mjolnir, or Asclepious, those being the ones that can later be evolved to 6*. The later I'd probably recommend over power, since she's the only 6* healing unit and the game is quite difficult early on. Having a solid healer will help you a lot, as damage units are relatively easy to come by.

Keep in mind, you won't pull them in their 6* form [not currently available]. I actually, I don't think you'll pull them in their 5* form either. If you get a 4*/silver unit, that's a guarantee that they can upgrade to a 6*. Most [not all] 3*/silver units can evolve to a 5*/pink.

On the 3rd reroll pulled 5* character and I'm fine with her.

My friend ID: 4221946589
Nice, I'll add you later!

Which 5*, if you don't mind my asking?

Uthred

Got lucky and got Asklepios twice, on the first account as 5* on the second as 4*, but the 4* roll possibly had better other units in the 10. Pity there isnt a full english version of the wiki as trying to figure out which version of a character you have when theyre gender swapped can be a pain. I think the 3* Mitum I have is the one that can be evolved to 6*, because even though its male it has the winged knight class?

Pangya

Got lucky and got Asklepios twice, on the first account as 5* on the second as 4*, but the 4* roll possibly had better other units in the 10. Pity there isnt a full english version of the wiki as trying to figure out which version of a character you have when theyre gender swapped can be a pain. I think the 3* Mitum I have is the one that can be evolved to 6*, because even though its male it has the winged knight class?

So far there isn't a male unit that has 5* gold (possible 6*). I've raised both genders of Mitum in their 5* form (both flying units) and found that the male version had a much worse growth rate than the female one. Of course it could be RNG, but the power rating between the two was something ridiculous like 40.

chrono01

Asclepious is great, nicely done!

In this game, you actually want to pull units in their lower evolution, since a portion of their stats are carried over into the next evolution.

For instance:

1-11 in a stat = 1 bonus point carried over
11-21 in a stat = 2 bonus point carried over
21-31 in a stat = 3 bonus points carried over
31-41 in a stat = 4 bonus points carried over

You can only max out a stat so much with dolls/fusing, but if you can hit the 11/21/31/etc. levels, you can gain between 2-4 points in a stat when you evolve, starting with a high base total. This goes for all stats.

So, if you have the patience, definitely stick with that 4* Asclepious, level her, fuse her with dolls, and carry over the most stats you can to her 5* [and future 6*] evolutions.

One other thing you want to keep in mind is the type you're unit is, since that affects the total amount of stats he/she can gain.

Balance Type: Increased luck
Vitality Type: Increased HP, decreased speed and agility
Force Type: Increased strength, decreased guard
Magic Type: Increased magic, decreased spirit
Guard Type: Increased guard and spirit, decreased speed and agility
Dexterity Type: Increased speed and agility, decreased guard and spirit

Ideally, you want Dexterity, Balance, or Vitality, the former two being the best since they can apply to Normal/Hard quests as well as PVP. Dexterity is, by far, the best type for PVP, but being a Healer I don't think it's important for her since she won't be attacking much. I pulled mine as Balanced, which is kind of the "neutral" trait, which works for me since it should have a broad stat allocation.

So far there isn't a male unit that has 5* gold (possible 6*). I've raised both genders of Mitum in their 5* form (both flying units) and found that the male version had a much worse growth rate than the female one. Of course it could be RNG, but the power rating between the two was something ridiculous like 40.
Growth rate is supposedly random, it doesn't really have anything to do with the unit itself. Sometimes you get a growth rate where all of your stats increase at a massive rate, and other times...not so much. The only way to fix it is through evolution [where you'll get a new growth rate] or Reincarnation, which costs a lot of Rare Medals and is best reserved for the final evolution if you get a bad growth rate.

More information on growth rates [and other information] can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/phan...-and-status-details-with-tips/970200056360347

You did good. She can be upgraded to a 6* later on too.

Anyway, I'll send you a friend request when I log on a bit later. I'm currently running 4* Naegling [she's got insane defense, send her into enemy territory and laugh as they attempt to harm her], since she's max'd out and everything, but I'll switch to my Female Mitum/Asclepious/Mjolnir once I evolve them to 5*.

For Whom the Alchemist; doubt they'll stop support for PotK since it makes them money, but it seems a step up in every way.
Presentation and animation look superb, but we'll probably be talking about it same time next year for localization.

This is why I wish more mobile devs would do like Terra Battle did and just release both JP/ENG language at launch on same main server.
(+ we get JP perks, and not stingy and unpolished global version).

garath

What is even going on in PotK? I loaded the apk, started the game and it made me attack and kill respawning guys until I had 30 kills and it finished downloading. Then it just threw me into the story. I don't see any tapping mini game or anything like that. I got to roll once right before the story and got a single 3* Masamune character? When do I re-roll? I've only gotten 11 Lazuli so far from the story mode and killing those 30. Just passed level 4.

does android not have a tapping thing for global?

Azusa

What is even going on in PotK? I loaded the apk, started the game and it made me attack and kill respawning guys until I had 30 kills and it finished downloading. Then it just threw me into the story. I don't see any tapping mini game or anything like that. I got to roll once right before the story and got a single 3* Masamune character? When do I re-roll? I've only gotten 11 Lazuli so far from the story mode and killing those 30. Just passed level 4.

does android not have a tapping thing for global?

Instead of taping you need to do 30 kills. Then do 3 stages and roll for 10 Lazuli on Rookie Recruiter.

chrono01

Bah. My roll sucked. And the deleting auth.dat and copying tutorial.dat didn't give me all 30 kills again :(

http://phantom-of-the-kill.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_Up_and_Rerolling

Oh well. Doing it by hand.
Did you:

- As soon as tutorial finishes and the cut-scene begins, copy tutorial.dat to your desktop
- Proceed as normal up until your ten-pull summon

If you didn't get what you wanted:

- Delete auth.dat and replace your current tutorial.dat with the one you copied earlier

Rinse/Repeat as much as necessary.

That should work, but granted I didn't do the re-roll thing myself since I'm on iOS9 and all of the file manager applications don't work with it.

garath

Did you:

- As soon as tutorial finishes and the cut-scene begins, copy tutorial.dat to your desktop
- Proceed as normal up until your ten-pull summon

If you didn't get what you wanted:

- Delete auth.dat and replace your current tutorial.dat with the one you copied earlier

Rinse/Repeat as much as necessary.

That should work, but granted I didn't do the re-roll thing myself since I'm on iOS9 and all of the file manager applications don't work with it.

Hmm. No, I didn't copy the tutorial.dat until after I started stories. I'll try to copy it right after the tutorial this time.

I've been playing a lot of Game of Dice lately. Really enjoyable casual monopoly-esque game. You can play as long as you have Joy currency, which they give you loads of and is relatively easy to win with some momentum in online games.

Are there any other board game-like gotcha games?

garath

I got a 4* mitum. Chrono said thats a good unit? No 5* yet for me. Only other 4* in this batch is Kusanagi.

Probably reroll. Who is the good healer to look for?

Edit: yes! Reroll worked. And I see the name of the healed above. Cool. Gonna see if I can get her.

chrono01

I got a 4* mitum. Chrono said thats a good unit? No 5* yet for me. Only other 4* in this batch is Kusanagi.

Probably reroll. Who is the good healer to look for?
Male or female? If female, is she silver? If so, yes she's great and can later evolve to a 6* when they're released. If it's a 4*/gold male, he's still a decent unit but you can probably do better with how easy re-rolling is right now. Honestly, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a potential 6*, but that's just me.

Uthred

I find the best time to copy tutorial.dat is when it asks you to enter your name, you always seem to get the same default unit though

Yaari

Male or female? If female, is she silver? If so, yes she's great and can later evolve to a 6* when they're released. If it's a 4*/gold male, he's still a decent unit but you can probably do better with how easy re-rolling is right now. Honestly, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a potential 6*, but that's just me.

So there's no easy reroll on iOS eh? bleh.

Pangya

So there's no easy reroll on iOS eh? bleh.

Install Genymotion on PC and roll that way. You'll have to setup an Android virtual machine (I use Nexus 7) and flash Google Apps and a Genymotion ARM translation file. There are guides to do it if you search for Brave Frontier Genymotion.

Yaari

Install Genymotion on PC and roll that way. You'll have to setup an Android virtual machine (I use Nexus 7) and flash Google Apps and a Genymotion ARM translation file. There are guides to do it if you search for Brave Frontier Genymotion.

Ah. Right. I'll go for that.

Uthred

Ground out 30 stones for a second 10 pull, fairly mediocre 9 3* silver and a dupe 4* Asclepius (should I use her to limit break my 4* now or should I hold onto her to upgrade and eventually limit break at 5 or 6*?), a few can hit 5* but not great. I've a feeling getting the stones for the last pull will be a grind. Still, too far in to bother re-rolling, I suppose ideally you'd want multiple 6* but I think one will do for the moment.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Presentation and animation look superb, but we'll probably be talking about it same time next year for localization.

This is why I wish more mobile devs would do like Terra Battle did and just release both JP/ENG language at launch on same main server.
(+ we get JP perks, and not stingy and unpolished global version).
Then we'd get the drought of new content that Terra Battle has. It didn't help that Mistwalker pinned themselves into a corner by making the nicest game for hardcore f2pers too. That said, I love interacting with the Japanese on the game, love when they do the head bowing at the start of co-ops as opposed to my waving.

chrono01

Ground out 30 stones for a second 10 pull, fairly mediocre 9 3* silver and a dupe 4* Asclepius (should I use her to limit break my 4* now or should I hold onto her to upgrade and eventually limit break at 5 or 6*?), a few can hit 5* but not great. I've a feeling getting the stones for the last pull will be a grind. Still, too far in to bother re-rolling, I suppose ideally you'd want multiple 6* but I think one will do for the moment.
Yeah, I'd wait to MLB her in her 5*/6* form. You can unlock their skill on the dupe, as well, and fuse them at the same time to LB and raise her skill level.

Also, Dream Girlfriend on the iOS/Android. Time for me to get a virtual girlfriend!

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dream-girlfriend/id997701066?mt=8

BTW, to anyone re-rolling in Phantom of the Kill, feel free to add me. I'm currently running my 4* Naegling [max], but will switch out to Mitum/Luin/Aclepious/etc. once evolved/leveled. My ID is: 1,247,038,501. Just let me know who you are so I can accept, I only have two free slots at the moment. :(

garath

Yeah, I'd wait to MLB her in her 5*/6* form. You can unlock their skill on the dupe, as well, and fuse them at the same time to LB and raise her skill level.

Also, Dream Girlfriend on the iOS/Android. Time for me to get a virtual girlfriend!

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dream-girlfriend/id997701066?mt=8

BTW, to anyone re-rolling in Phantom of the Kill, feel free to add me. I'm currently running my 4* Naegling [max], but will switch out to Mitum/Luin/Aclepious/etc. once evolved/leveled. My ID is: 1,247,038,501. Just let me know who you are so I can accept, I only have two free slots at the moment. :(

I'll invite you right now. My IGN is garath. I'm running the 5* Apollo.

Azusa

Farmed for the 2nd pull. Also when I checked units at phankill.gamewith.jp I saw that many of them have different kinds. Like there are two Apollo with 3 → 4 and 3 → 4 → 5 → 6 rarity progression. Are they different units with the same name or what?

ZcegO6U.png

bjork

Christmas event is on in Drift Spirits, homies. You can race some kabuki-looking dude and win a car that looks like it fell out of Ridge Racer, but the skin in a pac-man level. Good times all around.

Top Bottom