• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Aizo

Banned
I've been listening to a lot of KID FRESINO lately and jjj often appears on features with him and also produces a lot of his tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWK2Iuxcp8o
Yeah. Big fan of the two of them.
well this is interesting. Yukawa Shione has an album coming out on Virgin Babylon (teaser) which seems to be minimalist/ambient along the lines of some of Hatis Noit's projects.
I suppose I'm onboard since weg arranged and produced the album.

akileese

In case anyone wants Miyavi tickets, livenation presale code is "SHOWTIME". Got my Dallas tix for me and the wife! Only $25 a head including fees so really not as bad as I thought? I think I paid more for that for Thursday/Touche Amore.

Celegus

In case anyone wants Miyavi tickets, livenation presale code is "SHOWTIME". Got my Dallas tix for me and the wife! Only $25 a head including fees so really not as bad as I thought? I think I paid more for that for Thursday/Touche Amore.

Thanks for the code, it worked for me! Showing as $25 + $10 fees for each, but $35 ain't bad. Think we're gonna take a trip to NYC for the first time!

Kurita

Niiiice, finally some new Base Ball Bear after the departure of their guitarist.
They'll release a new album on April 12th
news_header_BaseBallBear_art201702.jpg

「光源」
01. すべては君のせいで
02. 逆バタフライ・エフェクト
03. Low way
04. (LIKE A)TRANSFER GIRL
05. 寛解
06. SHINE
07. リアリティーズ
08. Darling

Their more recent stuff is actually their best works so I'm excited.

ah I loooove it. also that random appearance of Kenji Ohtsuki.

maaaan that would be an incredible collaboration.

(actually I don't know who the quiet male voice is in the chorus, but it doesn't sound like him)

--

yukueshirezutsurezure have set up an official fan site (in english even) : http://mufan.jp/nsle/

as well as the "official" translation of their name, "Not Secured, Loose Ends," which, sure, I guess.

Aizo

Banned
Hey, Kurita, you saw a show at Zepp diver city, yeah? How big is it? Do you get a prettt good view of the stage and performance? I really don't like huge venues.
This is one of my favorite songs in a while. It pushed me to just preorder the bluray version of the album next month. Hope you screencapped the video for your 🖕collection.

Kurita

Hey, Kurita, you saw a show at Zepp diver city, yeah? How big is it? Do you get a prettt good view of the stage and performance? I really don't like huge venues.
I did Zepp Tokyo 4 times (KANA-BOON, THE ORAL CIGARETTES, SHISHAMO and go!go!vanillas), never Diver City but I think they're kinda the same. No problem seeing the stage.
I wouldn't call a 2500 people venue huge though. It's not small but it's not big either.

jbug617

Banned
Miyavi touring North America in April

Apr-01 Vancouver – Venue Nightclub
Apr-04 Seattle – Neptune Theatre
Apr-06 San Francisco – The Fillmore
Apr-07 Anaheim House of Blues – Parish Room
Apr-09 Los Angeles Belasco Theater
Apr-11 San Diego House of Blues – Voodoo Room
Apr-14 Dallas House of Blues – Cambridge Room
Apr-15 Houston House of Blues – Bronze Peacock Room
Apr-18 Atlanta – Variety Playhouse
Apr-21 Philadelphia – The Foundry at The Fillmore
Apr-22 Boston – Brighton Music Hall
Apr-23 New York – Irving Plaza
Apr-25 Chicago – House of Blues
Apr-26 Toronto – Phoenix Concert Theatre

Kurita

Oh I didn't notice that Polka Dot Stingray are in the same situation as SHISHAMO now, they're still with their indie label but both bands are managed/their works are manufactured by Universal Sigma. That's weird huh. Well I guess Polka Dot Stingray is gonna get more tie-ups and more exposure so I'm all for it!

--
Perfume /TOKYO GIRL『東京タラレバ娘』 主題歌(Full Covered by コバソロ & 春茶)

Kurita

Short snippet from Yonezu Kenshi's new song in the latest Boku no Hero Academia trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPneR3KFK8

Sounds great

--
Finally got a hold of ONE OK ROCK's Skyfall, their single available at live shows. It's GOOD.
The title track is pretty insane, it's a collab with MAH from SiM, Masato from Coldrain and Kenta from Crossfaith. Actually it just sounds like a SiM song with a Crossfaith dubstep drop thrown in near the end. Really really great hardcore tune.
Right by your side and Manhattan Beach (Ryota wrote this one, it's a light and sweet song) are also pretty good. Right by your side could fit right into Jinsei x Boku =.

Ai Otsuka's new album will be releasing on April 12th. Called "LOVE HONEY".
Her website updated with the cover and tracklisting!
Ai Otsuka - LOVE HONEY
I'm looking forward to it and hope it's got some of the same sound as her previous album and latest single.
I loved her last single so much, can't wait!
Cover is cute too, surprised Ai isn't on it, but still a cute cover.

broz0rs

Some outstanding Japanese hip hop tracks have been released in a matter of a few days between each other. Here are a few..

JJJ - BABE ft. 鋼田テフロン
RYUZO - Melody Lane
Campanella - PELNOD feat. 中納良恵
Y’S - Lazy
NORIKIYO - It Is Nothing like a Hip Hop

I'm realizing that Japanese hip hop hasn't really changed all that much in twenty years or so. It's still about the struggles of every day life; just like how it was with 90's New York hip hop. Western hip hop in general is more about lifestyle, especially the materialistic aspect of it. It's refreshing to still hear this type of music.

Jintor

man this new charisma single #hashdark is really fuckin' banging.

i'm not just imagining that this is a near totally different sound for them am i? this whole new album is going to be banging

Kurita

man this new charisma single #hashdark is really fuckin' banging.

i'm not just imagining that this is a near totally different sound for them am i? this whole new album is going to be banging

The fact that they have guests co-producers this time really intrigues me, I'm looking forward to the one with Hama Okamoto.

March is looking alright album wise :
Shout it Out, Ame no Parade, Scenarioart on March 8th.
KEYTALK on March 15th (most anticipated release of the month for me)
BIGMAMA and Charisma.com on March 22th
The Asian Kung-Fu Generation tribute album on March 29th, with KANA-BOON, 04 Limited Sazabys, Creepy Nuts...

Celegus

Is that new Sakanaction album supposed to come out... sometime? I didn't miss it somehow, right? That first single is too good, need more!

Kurita

Is that new Sakanaction album supposed to come out... sometime? I didn't miss it somehow, right? That first single is too good, need more!

Someday. They haven't announced anything yet.
Two double a-sides and two singles already out for it, hopefully there's a lot of new songs... The previous album was released 4 years ago, jeeeeeeeeesus.

I'm sure we'll get it this year tho... Thank god most of the bands I like are more productive.

faridmon

They have enough singles for a summer release.

Sakanaction's announcement and its release was very swift, so I assume the same could happen for LP7

at this point it's gotta either be Ichiro being a weird perfectionist or something with their label. that thing should have been "done" a year ago.

Larsa

at this point it's gotta either be Ichiro being a weird perfectionist or something with their label. that thing should have been "done" a year ago.

going with this. He spent like 8 months making and remaking Endless off DocumentaLy.

e: lol from wikipedia "Eventually, he rewrote the song 74 times, creating a total of 78 different versions of the song lyrics"

OOMORI SEIKO FINNA SLAYYYYY ONCE MORE. Ringo's "Kalk Zamen Kuri no Hana" and "Electric Mole" still haven't been dethroned for me, but literally everything Seiko has put out has been great, and she's now put out four full length solo albums, an EP(PINK), Tokarev, Poi Dol, live recordings, and a number of rarities. And now, almost a year exactly after Tokyo Black Hole(which was straight up fantastic), she's dropping another album. The amount of genuinely good, unique content she's put out in only a couple of years is really crazy.

The J-Pop equivalent of Young Thug
lol.

Slowdive

Banned
OOMORI SEIKO FINNA SLAYYYYY ONCE MORE. Ringo's "Kalk Zamen Kuri no Hana" and "Electric Mole" still haven't been dethroned for me, but literally everything Seiko has put out has been great, and she's now put out four full length solo albums, an EP(PINK), Tokarev, Poi Dol, live recordings, and a number of rarities. And now, almost a year exactly after Tokyo Black Hole(which was straight up fantastic), she's dropping another album. The amount of genuinely good, unique content she's put out in only a couple of years is really crazy.

The J-Pop equivalent of Young Thug
lol.

Ringo was dethroned a while ago by her for me. It really is crazy how she hasn't released anything bad, and she just keeps getting better. Dogma Magma might just be my favourite Oomori song, it's that good.

Ringo was dethroned a while ago by her for me. It really is crazy how she hasn't released anything bad, and she just keeps getting better. Dogma Magma might just be my favourite Oomori song, it's that good.

Ringo as a whole has been dethroned a while back, but I just bring up those two works of hers specifically because Kalk is straight up my favorite album of all time, and Electric Mole is probably my favorite live recording of all time as well. But yeah, Seiko really knows what she's doing. Kill the time 4 u was the only track off of Tokyo Black Hole that I wasn't in love with, and the last couple of tracks were just nonstop excellency. I was a little less enthused by a couple of the tracks off of the three singles, but Dogma Magma was great. I think Gutto Kuru Summer was really what knocked my socks off the way Dogma Magma did for you, though.

Some outstanding Japanese hip hop tracks have been released in a matter of a few days between each other. Here are a few..

JJJ - BABE ft. 鋼田テフロン
RYUZO - Melody Lane
Campanella - PELNOD feat. 中納良恵
Y’S - Lazy
NORIKIYO - It Is Nothing like a Hip Hop

I'm realizing that Japanese hip hop hasn't really changed all that much in twenty years or so. It's still about the struggles of every day life; just like how it was with 90's New York hip hop. Western hip hop in general is more about lifestyle, especially the materialistic aspect of it. It's refreshing to still hear this type of music.

Oh wow, loving all of this! It's such a great time for music. Really love RYUZO and Y'S

The fact that they have guests co-producers this time really intrigues me, I'm looking forward to the one with Hama Okamoto.

March is looking alright album wise :
Shout it Out, Ame no Parade, Scenarioart on March 8th.
KEYTALK on March 15th (most anticipated release of the month for me)
BIGMAMA and Charisma.com on March 22th
The Asian Kung-Fu Generation tribute album on March 29th, with KANA-BOON, 04 Limited Sazabys, Creepy Nuts...

Awe, I nearly forgot about KEYTALK (releasing next month), how could I?!

Speaking of tribute albums, has anybody heard Ulful's tribute album by female singers? It released last week but it never went up on iTunes or Amazon digital. Looks like I'll have to import the CD.

Larsa

Oomori livestream on the 6th, kitixxxgaia karaoke like she did with Tokyo Black Hole.

Thankfully this one's just a bit more than a week before the album release. The one for TBH a month before the release was torture. I listened to the karaoke stream so many times that all the vocal differences in the actual album kinda threw me off at first.

Kansoku

The more I listen to SHISHAMO 4 the better it gets. I wasn't expecting much, I even did't like 魔法のように and 明日も when I first saw their MVs, but the whole album has been growing on me a lot.

llehuty

FAKY / Surrender
Released today, I like the song going full on Drum n Bass at the end.

東京女子流 (Tokyo Girls Style) )/ predawn
Pleasant tropical house effort.

【MV】誰のことを一番 愛してる? Short ver.〈坂道AKB〉 / Keyakizaka46 AKB48[公式]
This is 100% a repurposed Keyakizaka46 release, the outfits, the vibes, the dance,.... Not that I'm complaining, I love Keyakizaka's releases, but it's just weird seeing some of the AKB members in this.

Top Bottom