• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

broz0rs

http://ameblo.jp/akihabara48/entry-12284151816.html

AKB48 sousenkyo (AKB elections) concert cancelled. Some idiot planned the event in an outdoor venue in Okinawa during monsoon season rofl. The stage was falling apart already.

The actual elections will still take place but privately and speeches will be given to a camera lol

The fans who bought plane tickets and hotel reservations are pretty much fucked.

llehuty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJidC1YY2yA
Anyone know if the revamped FAKY comeback is produced by Shinichi Osawa? Sure sounds like it.
*Quote from almost 2 years ago*

They FINALLY released this song. It's 5 minutes of funky weirdness, and you never know where is going to go next. It makes for an interesting first listen.

Is the first track of their latest album (which, by the way is quite good). It's available on Spotify.

A Namie x Kumi collab would kill, this comment made me lol

DCXUROAWAAAGcTp.jpg
-----

Kana Nishino has switched up her style a bit for her next single as the recent one sort of flopped. I hope this means a depart from her country style songs in favour for something more mature.

Nishino_Kana_-_Girls_lim.jpg
Nishino_Kana_-_Girls_reg.jpg

1. Girls
2. Go Fight Win!
3. YOKUBARI

taopriest

vanty

Best girl Tanaka Natsumi gets 50th after years of nothing, Riripon says she's getting married, and Mayuyu comes second again and announces her graduation.

Boss at 50 is of course the most important. Next year #5 I'm feeling it.

I don't mind Negoto using synths, in fact I think 真夜中のアンセム is one of the band's absolute best songs. I wish this would end up being their dominant style if they were going to leave the straight up indie rock realm.

I think VISION struck the best balance between indie rock and synth pop; the stretch from GREAT CITY KIDS to 真夜中のアンセム is pitch perfect. "Z"OOM has a bunch of great songs on it too. ETERNALBEAT isn't bad either, but it feels a little anonymous and same-y sounding after VISION.

Kansoku

I think VISION struck the best balance between indie rock and synth pop; the stretch from GREAT CITY KIDS to 真夜中のアンセム is pitch perfect. "Z"OOM has a bunch of great songs on it too. ETERNALBEAT isn't bad either, but it feels a little anonymous and same-y sounding after VISION.

Yes. VISION is definitively their best material, a perfect balance. ETERNALBEAT went too hard on the synths and most of it felt bland. DESTINY and Ribbon are the exception and they pretty much sound like something out of VISION.

Peru

Fuckin LOL @ Riripon announcing her engagement to marry at the Sousenkyo event when no one had any clue she was even dating (obviously, since they're not supposed to be allowed to do so) and was even on the up and up as a fresh top member, ranking top 20.

So many layers to the way she pulled this off my head is reeling. Legendary moment in j-pop history.

And HELLO to my girl Sashihara Rino finishing off her last SSK election by crushing Mayuyu with 246,376 votes at #1 to 149,132 at #2.

Pixeluh

What are some of your favorite albums? I'm trying to get back into Japanese pop and rock but can't find anything good. (I've been browsing this thread for a while trying to find something..)

Everything I find is so high pitched, are there any singers/bands that have regular pitched voices?

What are some of your favorite albums? I'm trying to get back into Japanese pop and rock but can't find anything good. (I've been browsing this thread for a while trying to find something..)

Everything I find is so high pitched, are there any singers/bands that have regular pitched voices?

Do you have any requirements/likes besides "not high-pitched"? Also, what would you consider normal-pitched?

Some albums I've liked that fit your (rather broad) specifications:
Sunny Day Service - Dance To You (パンチドランク・ラブソング, セツナ)
iri - Groove It (rhythm, non-album single Watashi)
ゲスの極み乙女。 (Gesu no Kiwami Otome) - I dunno, pick an album at random really, but I prefer their earlier stuff (DARUMASAN, パラレルスペック, 私以外私じゃないの)
木下美紗都 (Misato Kinoshita) - 彼方からの手紙 (彼方からの手紙, それからの子供)

I'm sure someone else will be along to post some more relevant (and actually popular!) bands. (though Gesu is super popular, or was at one point before the scandal?)

Pixeluh

No No Eul

Fuckin LOL @ Riripon announcing her engagement to marry at the Sousenkyo event when no one had any clue she was even dating (obviously, since they're not supposed to be allowed to do so) and was even on the up and up as a fresh top member, ranking top 20.

So many layers to the way she pulled this off my head is reeling. Legendary moment in j-pop history.

Not knowing any Japanese, I thought perhaps she'd made some half-assed joke about graduating or something and then I checked Twitter for a translation and my mind exploded. A legendary moment indeed. It did sort of overshadow the rest of the event but only in the best possible way.

It was a bit of a shame there wasn't any change in the top four. Great to see that NGT member jump straight to #5 though.

PillarEN

So many links Kasoku. Why do you do this to me?

アルカラ are cool. Listened to some of their stuff on a compiled youtube playlist.

EDIT: and hey their first 3 LPs are on EU Spotify. Off I go

Kurita

My friend just sent me a link to this song after I sent him some Arukara songs.

Champagne - Cat 2
They're known as [Alexandros] since 2014, simply one of the best bands around. No wonder why they're so big. Can't go wrong with any of their albums.
Went to their tour finale at Makuhari Messe recently, amazing stuff from start to finish. The vocalist is incredibly charismatic.

Kurita

Just albums is hard so I'll go with artists (and if you can't find anything good while browsing this thread I don't know what to say, we're lucky to have a decent amount of members with varied tastes that cover pretty much everything there is)

Nothing's Carved In Stone
The Mirraz
My Hair is Bad
Kankaku Piero
the HIATUS
yonige
SiM
THE ORAL CIGARETTES

I love everything about this situation.

RIGHT!

When I watched the news this morning I thought man what did she say? Then they replayed it and was like HOLY DAYUM. I got out of the AKB game several years ago and don't really know who most of the new faces are but this girl is insta my favorite. Think its time to dive back into the AKB game if the girl getting married stays around.

If they kick her out, shame her for being awesome and what not I won't be happy.

The best part of the news today was they show the fans in different places watching together, and the moment she said marriage all the otaku guys they were filming looked puzzled as fuck, like they have never heard the word hahaha. Just complete silence and blank stares. WAS PERFECT.

Stuff like this not happening is why I lost interest with AKB (and the general girls getting too young/music/singing/dancing not getting better)

Aizo

Banned
Anybody seeing Necronomidol in London?
Edit: Speaking of which, I just reserved a ticket to see VMO for the third time, and Necronomidol will be doing a band set with them that night. In addition, this is the same beautiful venue where I saw Aoba Ichika play. Yay!

Kurita

Yeah I'm definitely keeping an eye on them, they've been a great recent discovery.
You might enjoy Regal Lily
https://youtu.be/e8gSwlEF7r8

HEY-SMITH - Let It Punk
This'll definitely become of their new anthems. Excellent straight-forward ska punk as always.

New song by Gakusei Kibun (Enon and Kacho's vocaloid project)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31425959
Great stuff

Aizo

Banned
Oomori Seiko and Have a Nice Day!!
https://youtu.be/ZJrHG9RvLVQ

Please let this mean more Virgin Babylon acts collab with her in the near future. WEG x Oomori Seiko and Vampillia x Oomori Seiko, please! I found the English in the song to take away from it, but not a bad song at all.

Top Bottom